Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
<
Playlist by purchase month

Whenever I buy a track now I always put the label name in the comments field and have a smart playlist setup in iTunes for each label and import them into RekordBox using Bridge as well.
mind_gutter +

Times thanked
<
The CDJ 900 looks pretty decent. It seems to have a similar look and feel as a CDJ 1000 which is the main selling point for me. All decent clubs have either CDJ 1000's or 2000's. Having something similar makes jamming at home more fun and also gives you a sense of familiarity when you step up in the dj booth (which can be a bit daunting your first time in a club) if that's your thing.

Not too sure if 1000's are cheaper than 900's now but if you wanted to go with 1000's, you would be making the right choice. These things are durable and I can't imagine them being phased out of clubs for a while (with the exception of high end clubs or new clubs). I also found the 2000's being pretty crap with BPM at Laundry, similar to Avatar_Karma's experience but maybe that's a firmware issue.

Don't bother with Denons or any other brand of cdjs. I started with denons and it was a complete disaster. I opted for Pioneer as soon as I could afford it coz I wanted to get used to it and be comfortable with the layout when I started playing outside of the bedroom.

DJM800 is a complete dream! Love it as a mixer. Always so bummed out when I have to play on Xone's.
ParadigmDJ +

Times thanked
<
1000s are very much likely to be cheaper, coz they're long discontinued, so chances are you'll only get them second hand. I bought my 900s just after they discontinued the 1000s, and at the time DJ Warehouse were selling both at the same price. I tossed up between the 2 for a few days, and decided that I preferred the USB drive, Rekordbox and Link support of the 900 over the hot cues, adjustable platter tension and the slightly greater durability of the 1000. At the time I had a residency at a bar playing every second Fri and Sat where I had to take my own kit or use Nightlife (fuck that!), and they more than stood up to my use there, and aside from that they're just used at home, or taken out to the occasional mobile gig or club night.
Hit me up at:
Facebook | Mixcloud | Website

Upcoming shows:
None

Latest mix:
Christopher Jay - September 2011 Promo
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mind_gutter View Post

DJM800 is a complete dream! Love it as a mixer. Always so bummed out when I have to play on Xone's.

How can you be bummed about playing on a Xone?!
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Don't bother with Denons or any other brand of cdjs. I started with denons and it was a complete disaster. I opted for Pioneer as soon as I could afford it coz I wanted to get used to it and be comfortable with the layout when I started playing outside of the bedroom.

Quote:

Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts
spoken like a true fanboy. Whatever happened to adaptability?
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

plan-b +

Times thanked
<
It went out the window with his 3 band EQ

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

Kri1987 +

Times thanked
<
I love the Xones I bought a 62 for a first mixer!! I never want to let it go! But I'll probably cut the gain next time someone gives me a 3 eq mixer and I want to cut the highs :p
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
^^^ lol this, when playing on mates 800 I occasionally twist the filter knob, confusing it for the bass.
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b View Post

Playlist by purchase month

Whenever I buy a track now I always put the label name in the comments field and have a smart playlist setup in iTunes for each label and import them into RekordBox using Bridge as well.

I prefer to put label name in the 'Grouping' field but the outcome is the same.
mind_gutter +

Times thanked
<
RE deejaydee and Pomrocks.

Using pioneer mixer is just a personal preference. And the denons I had (3500's) really did blow. They were top of the range Denons when I bought them at the time and were unresponsive and inaccurate. I just think if you intend on being a club dj, it's better to get comfortable with the gear and have the same stuff. All depends on what you want it for.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
i started off on bottom of the range denon DNS1000's...terrible things but there's nothing wrong with using them to learn on

if you want to learn to drive and be a racing driver would you buy a $200k / 500hp car to learn on?
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
I started off on CDJ100s, and still have them 5 years later an they are going strong!
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper_flip View Post

I prefer to put label name in the 'Grouping' field but the outcome is the same.

I use that field for it's intended purpose: Grouping tracks of the same movement in classical music.

Sure there's next to no music music in my library (I think there's the Pirates of the Caribean remixes which has the original Hans Zimmer score but I have extreme obsessive compulsive disorder which means it ain't gonna happen.

Quote:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK

plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

I started off on CDJ100s, and still have them 5 years later an they are going strong!

I started off on a pair of Citronic PD1s, they were cheap and they were heaps of shit but my SL1210's are still going strong!

Quote:

mind_gutter +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

i started off on bottom of the range denon DNS1000's...terrible things but there's nothing wrong with using them to learn on

if you want to learn to drive and be a racing driver would you buy a $200k / 500hp car to learn on?

You raise a really valid point. I just wished I started off with decent pioneers coz I ended up buying them 6 months later anyway.
minimal_damage +

Times thanked
<
I'm loving my 900's - rock solid - no probs whatsoever. can anybody tell me if it is worth getting the firmware update? has anyone had issues with it? if it ain't broke i dont want to fix it.
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimal_damage View Post

I'm loving my 900's - rock solid - no probs whatsoever. can anybody tell me if it is worth getting the firmware update? has anyone had issues with it? if it ain't broke i dont want to fix it.

No issues here with the latest firmware. One thing I like with the latest though is the currently selected medium light flashes (can't remember what it did before)

I've had issues once or twice playing out on CDJ2000's where I was switching from USB to CD and didn't hit the selector button that one extra time so ended up playing the next track on my USB drive by mistake.

Apparently it breaks traktor integration though.

Quote:

ayampanggang +

yeah

Times thanked
<
or try cdj850 and see if it's alrgiht
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Using pioneer mixer is just a personal preference. And the denons I had (3500's) really did blow.

Using a pioneer cdj is also a personal preference... at the time i bought my first set of decks, the mkIIs were more expensive than the 3500's by about 400/500 bucks each and so i got them(3500's) .. mate they are solid as! dunno why u didn't like them but all i can say that is that if u have mastered playing the 3500's or any dual cd player setup by denon/vinyl , you can play on virtually any cd based system! However, from a cdj to others i have found that ppl tend to have issues... (only based on what i have seen)

My most significant grip with the cdj's was the fact that they didn't have the pitch bend button (personal preference) plus back then they didn't play mp3's as well... no onboard sampler as well, and many other features were missing...
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
^
Definitely agree with you there. Denons are actually really decent things to play on. The only reason I prefer Pioneer CDJs is the actual feel of the buttons - not really a fan of those soft-feel Denon ones
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
<
agreed... same issues here too.. those buttons were rubber and frankly i would have preferred the plasticky ones on the cdj's... however i do remember some industrious guy doing a mod for the buttons .. if i can find it i will post it... i still have one of them as a secondary cd player in my bedroom cos they sound really good.. comparable to some of the more expensive cd players (home stereo based ones like the cambridge audio/denons i.e. non valve based cd players)... pair them up with a decent amp and speakers and they sound great... tried it with the pioneers but unfortunately the difference was too massive...

i am quite sure that both use a Burr Brown DAC... with the pioneers having the pcm1716 and the denon's having a different chipset..can't remember the number..
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!

Last edited by SubbyBoy: 11-Feb-11 at 02:05pm

fabd +

Times thanked
<
I would go for the CDJ900 over the CDJ1000s, the 1000s are old, I upgraded to the 2000s, the 1000s felt more solid in general build quality than the 1000s.

The BPM being inaccurate is rubbish, they were when they originally came out, and then a software update fixed that. The only thing that is missing is the hotcues which 90% of djs don't use.

What ever wait times take long to load on the CDJ900 that is in comparison to the CDJ2000, not compared to the CDJ1000, the CDJ1000 use to take a while to load a MP3 cd, the solution is not to use MP3 cd when mixing.

There's heaps of advantages with the CDJ900, the biggest is quantize looping. I will say that my 2000s BPM is to accurate and it makes DJing extremely easy if your just getting into it, you get over it quickly.

Get your self some CDJ800s there so cheap now, I wish gear was this cheap when I started.

I recommend to buy Pioneer from the start you can by two CDJ800s for about 750 now, the buttons wont f--k up, they wont take forever to load a disk, you can learn to mix perfectly on them and transfer that onto any thing, when you go to sell them they are worth the same as when you bought them. Everybody that I know who went and bought Stantons etc, sold them for 1/3 of what they bought them, you could never have any fun on them, scratching was digitalised, or so slow the music stopped before it scratched, the read outs were crap, and the worst was the beat tempo resolution.

Everybody gets caught up on Beat Matching, at the end of the day after three months of mixing, everybody can beat match and chuck a song on, BFD thats not going to make you a good dj, even if your CDJs have a sync button on it.
zoonosis +

Times thanked
<
Got some 900s at home now. Not one issue. It will all be dependant on what price you are willing to pay and the features you are actually going to use...'cause 1000s, 800s, 400s and 350s do pretty much the same thing. Are you gonna use USB, hot cues?
ewansaunders +

Times thanked
<
G'day, I just picked up a 2nd hand Citronic PD-1, just starting out. I found your post saying you started with the same table. It came minus headshell and cartridge. Any idea how I find out a cartridge to match, and does the headshell matter too? From a newby!
Cheers
Ewan
plan-b +

Times thanked
<
Headshell's are all the same, it's been a while but the probably the best n00b cartridge was a stanton al mk2 or something like that. If you want you could get something from ortofon with an integrated headshell, if you did, make sure you get something with a spherical stylus, elliptical sounds better but tend to chew up your rekkids
smallman +

Times thanked
<
I'm digging this old thread up because I would just like to say that I did get CDJ900's and a DJM800, and yes I did spend 5 grand on my first set up. To everyone that gave me negative comments about spending this much on a first set up and telling me to downgrade, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm so glad i didn't take your SHITTY advise because I am loving my set up! I would've been over 200's or 400's in a couple of months wanting to upgrade anyway!
mind_gutter +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallman View Post

I'm digging this old thread up because I would just like to say that I did get CDJ900's and a DJM800, and yes I did spend 5 grand on my first set up. To everyone that gave me negative comments about spending this much on a first set up and telling me to downgrade, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm so glad i didn't take your SHITTY advise because I am loving my set up! I would've been over 200's or 400's in a couple of months wanting to upgrade anyway!

Completely agree my man
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »