2010 Pioneer Dj Search Comp

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
Jaakko +

Retarded Uber

Times thanked
<
2010 Pioneer Dj Search Comp
Just curious...did anyone around these parts enter? Forums have been silent on this particular event. Let us know if you did, and share your experience of it with the rest of us.
dingleberry +

Times thanked
<
my experience is that its all about gaining votes. eg. who can spam the most to market their gear. Not much about skills at all.
Jaakko +

Retarded Uber

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingleberry View Post

my experience is that its all about gaining votes. eg. who can spam the most to market their gear. Not much about skills at all.

So are you saying you entered this year?
dingleberry +

Times thanked
<
Nope. I dont support pioneer
djarmed +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yeah i agree 100% with dingleberry's comment. its not about how good you are its about how many friends you have willing to vote for you..........which is kinda shit.
Jaakko +

Retarded Uber

Times thanked
<
I've had a look at their comp - totally agree with you re: the public voting stage. It does seem though that ability and talent would have to factor in somewhere as the overall winner is decided by a panel. But yeah, shitness could easily get into the final cut due to number of friends. The top 20 indicates that.
Justin_m23 +

Times thanked
<
Well DJ Playmate won last year. Anyone who followed the competition knows that the reason she won was 10% skill and 90% boob.
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin_m23 View Post

Well DJ Playmate won last year. Anyone who followed the competition knows that the reason she won was 10% skill and 90% boob.

juila gillard > DJ Playmate

i rocked on to the websit once to check out the mixes,
i can say, its defently not about the music
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Impression +

Times thanked
<
I entered didn't spam it out or anything but had heaps of votes from people just browsing which was cool.
www.facebook.com/impressiondeejay
djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Ah don't just love the haters. lol. Luckily I take my music more seriously than forums. Justin_m23 i'm totally cool if you don't like my music or style I play. No DJ or artist can please everyone.

At the end of the day if I have over 8000 downloads of my podcast and 900 subscribers in the past 30 days, with not a boob or image in sight just sound alone, then i'm doing something right.

If you ever met me you would be pleasantly surprised that i'm a nice down to earth person that LOVES music and a wickedly good party...woot woot. I treat everyone the same, I don’t think i'm a rock star, and always remember i'm there to entertain people, not expand my ego.

As much as you choose to bag the people that enter a comp, hey at least they're giving it a go.

I agree with the public voting criteria (ITM50 do the same thing) it suxs and alot of talent gets missed and unrecognised because of it, but what can you do?

bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
<
pics plz
djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<
Hahaha

Last edited by djplaymate: 27-Sep-10 at 06:32pm

Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
They are great boobs by the way
djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<
Thanks Garthyboy, it's amazing what a good push up bra can do for a girl. hahaha
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by djplaymate View Post

Thanks Garthyboy, it's amazing what a good push up bra can do for a girl. hahaha

haha
Well I will gladly offer a personal assessment minus the push up bra....in fact minus a bra full stop if you would like?
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<
hahahaha....

but honestly. .. boring music on your myspace hey.

obviously personal preference.

Also why have an epic boob shot on your myspace if you reckon its nothing about your gender??
djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy View Post

haha
Well I will gladly offer a personal assessment minus the push up bra....in fact minus a bra full stop if you would like?

For Sure, let’s make it at 25:00 hours on September 31...haha

darling if you are that deprived that you need to post messages like that to boost your ego then maybe head to www.redhotpie.com or just ask your girlfriend, but i'm guessing that you don't have one.
Justin_m23 +

Times thanked
<
Yeah, my point was mainly that there was no competition as far as the judges were concerned. When it comes down to it, there were plenty of talented people in the competition (you included) but whoever won was the person who could be marketed to the public the best. and we all know that sex sells.
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Yeah, my point was mainly that there was no competition as far as the judges were concerned. When it comes down to it, there were plenty of talented people in the competition (you included) but whoever won was the person who could be marketed to the public the best. and we all know that sex sells.

olol backstep more
Justin_m23 +

Times thanked
<
don't be a douche, I was clarifying my original point - marketing (boob) over skill.
djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy View Post

hahahaha....

but honestly. .. boring music on your myspace hey.

Thank you for taking the time to visit my page AND listen to my music. lol
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy View Post

hahahaha....
Also why have an epic boob shot on your myspace if you reckon its nothing about your gender??

I concur
Type your name in google and the first thing that comes up is a photo on your website in a bikini.
So its all about the tunes hey?
djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I can't fault your statement Justin, Sex does sell, but it can only take you so far.
dingleberry +

Times thanked
<
Where can i download the playmate mix?
djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy View Post

I concur
Type your name in google and the first thing that comes up is a photo on your website in a bikini.
So its all about the tunes hey?

Soooo if a male DJ/artist is without a shirt on it's all of a sudden not about the tunes to?
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Soooo if a male DJ is without a shirt on it all of a sudden not about the tunes to?

I take the time to listen to lots of music. Also playmate? Sex again. With you its all about sex it seems. Boobs and playboy.
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Soooo if a male DJ/artist is without a shirt on it's all of a sudden not about the tunes to?

Any examples of said Dj/Artist?
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
So she's hot.

Whatever, how does it have anything to do with anything, sure pioneer want someone they can put on a poster but let's face it, They're not gonna pick a complete noob to represent them in a cutthroat competitive scene like this one, and plus, you can make anyone look good in a photo.

Look at this photo of Kato, even though it's a Tiesto/FatJesus Hybrid, he pulls off not looking like turd imo.

PS: The above image filename is win.

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<
Smokin Joe Mekhael good DJ and topless at a gig....oh no he must not be about the music. lol
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
well the type of promo you've got behind you will pull a certain crowd, and it'll turn away others, are you cool with that? At the end of the day it just depends on how you want to share your music with the world (if you're about the music anyway).

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<
well said underhousearrest
ticketsplease +

Frankee More

Times thanked
<
Haha reminds me of DJ Niki Belucci. Now thats talent.
http://soundcloud.com/frankeemore
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Smokin Joe Mekhael good DJ and topless at a gig....oh no he must not be about the music. lol

No, no he's not. And i dont think he'd argue with that.

Re using the sex sells, personally i hate it & wouldnt book a DJ if that was how that promoted themselves. But that's just my opinion, i really dont think it's necessary. But there's a market for it and if that's the way a DJ wants to try to get gigs then that's there choice, they just won't get a much respect from a few people.
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
djplaymate +

get out!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

Re using the sex sells, personally i hate it & wouldnt book a DJ if that was how that promoted themselves.

That is a good attitude to have pomrocks and the same perspective I have as well when is comes to a DJ. I don't want to booked because of the way I look, I want to booked because they like my music.

But you can't judge someone because they present themselves well in order to market themselves and there music. Sure I may have a couple of shots that show a bit of skin, but they're not the photos I primarily use to represent, and its not the image I want to be presented as either.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

but they're not the photos I primarily use to represent, and its not the image I want to be presented as either.

Well you do have a photo of you in a bikini top as you main pic on myspace...but you are marketing yourself as a "sexy" DJ.....

Not trying to be a pain in the arse, i just have pretty strong opinions when it comes to female DJ's as i think they have a lot harder time as DJing is a bit of a "boys club" most of the time and i'd like to see more girls out there playing and getting the respect they deserve.
Playing at;

SHRUG
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

I can't fault your statement Justin, Sex does sell, but it can only take you so far.

indeed

wanna battle?!
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
smokinjoemekhael +

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

No, no he's not. And i dont think he'd argue with that.

You're right Pomrocks, I'm not all about the music. Mixing flawlessly and playing banging tunes are only 50% of a DJ's job. The other 50% is exciting the crowd and leading them on a journey to euphoria. No DJ on the planet is more animated than Smokin Joe Mekhael and no one loses it like I do on stage and as a result of dancing like an absolute nutter for hours on end, my shirt sometimes comes off at the end of my set.

I'm lucky to look the way I do and I use that image of a wild hedonist to promote myself as a DJ. In life, you should always make the most of your talents and strive to achieve your dreams. I make no apologies for how I promote myself because I'm living the dream! I quit my corporate day job two years ago to DJ full-time and I love it more than anything on the planet.

To quote Benjamin Franklin:

“Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?”

It doesn't make sense to criticise people for using the gifts that they have to their absolute fullest potential. I will continue to work tirelessly to use every skill, talent and quality that I possess and that's why Smokin Joe Mekhael is THE MOST ELECTRIFYING MAN IN DANCE MUSIC TODAY!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
exactly
Playing at;

SHRUG
Kaysh +

Times thanked
<
This is all quite interesting, i am a female dj/producer and won the pioneer pro dj search a few years ago. However it was different back then and it wasn't a voting thing and they didn't see any photos of me before i won. I won purely on the mix i sent in. I'm not sure why they have changed it, i guess to get more people involved and promote the whole comp. And if it is about being an ambassador (which it wasn't when i entered) then i guess they need to see how well you can promote/sell/represent yourself/the company. They promised me gigs and promo and everything but i didn't really get it, just some prizes (which were awesome btw) and a slot at Kiss My Grass (when the place was empty).

But lets face it, many entertainers show some skin from actors to models (who are generally scantly clad despite modelling generally being about clothes) to musicians. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing it, if you've got it and your confident with your looks then good for you. At a gig people are generally going to be listening to the music and no matter how hot you look people are going to notice a bad set and chances are you wont go that far. I mean who is going to book a dj solely on looks? they would be idiots and should probably not be in charge of booking acts, i would assume most places would listen to the music a certain dj plays and book the appropriate person. But hey if you've got the looks and the ability to rock a crowed then fuck it, why not give people not only a great aural experience but a visual one too?

Perhaps some male djs out there are threatened by an attractive woman who isn't afraid to use a bit of sex appeal, in this cut throat world of djing where everyone is doing it and trying to get noticed i'm sure some guys wouldn't mine a nice rack to show off

Last edited by Kaysh: 28-Sep-10 at 11:40am

The Groove Academy +

Times thanked
<
Hey Monica,

It's obvious that these people are just jealous of the fact that you won & they didn't. These forums are pretty much full of wannabe kids anyway.

Don't pay any attention to their immature gripes.
syto +

Times thanked
<
The modern DJ - Times have changed
I've been playing in the dance scene in Melbourne for over 10 yrs and have been a part of the PioneerDjSearch for the last 2 yrs running.

One of the great things that has come out of the 2010 Search for myself is the simple fact that it's made me get off my ass and network the hell out myself and my music like I've never done before. The last few weeks have opened up so many opportunities for me. Throughout my 8 week campaign I've had around 6 extra gigs book an invitation from Kiss FM to do a guest spot on Timmy Burne's show and 2 record labels express interest in signing me up for Dj mixes. This competition without a doubt opens up so many opportunities for those who are willing to get out there and work their asses off.

As sure most of you would know a lot more is required of the modern DJ these days. It use to be as simple as as turning up to a gig with your tunes and playing your set. The industry today has been completely flooded by so many quality Dj's as electronic music continues to take over the world. Due to this today's Dj's not only need to have the technical ability and continue to pump out quality tunes but they also need to have extensive marketing and networking skills. After entering the search for my second year in a row I have walked away with a wealth of knowledge and understand so much more about breaking into the industry.

Todays Dj's need to stick with the times even thought we may not necessarily agree with where the industry is heading. It is what it is guys and if you choose to pursue a career in a cut throat industry like this then you need to give them what they want and have an understanding of the marketing/networking skills that are also required to survive and get yourself out there!!

syto
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
I dont think it's immature to have a bit of discussion bout the subject, after all there's two sides to the coin
Playing at;

SHRUG
mydjspace +

Times thanked
<
Hey DJ Playmate looks like Pomrock isn't going to book you for a gig, are you going to be ok babe?
Donwane +

Times thanked
<
Hey everyone,

DJ Playmate is the package. As a promoter and manager of Prima Nocta Sydney we have hired her for our gigs for the last 5 events. She will be head lining our next Halloween party as well. She looks great and has the technical skill and confidence in track selection to keep everyone happy on the dance floor. We also have DJ Trent mixing some wicked tunes for us as well.

If you can mix and sound great that does not mean your are what we want. You have to be able to click with your audience, give them some attitude and excite all the senses.

Oh and don't worry I will sleep really well tonight even if you don't agree with me. After all I hire the talent for my show and my guests like what I present to them. DJ Playmate..... love your work.....
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
Dear Donwane,

Can you setup a cage match between DJ Playmate and myself?

Regards,

Funkedub
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Pioneer DJ +

Times thanked
<
Pioneer DJ Search
First & foremost, let me be upfront. I work for Pioneer & started having an active involvement in the Pioneer DJ Search competition last year, only to be in charge of this competition in 2010 (with MDS). I respect & appreciate people's comments on what they believe is a successful formula for running a DJ competition.

Pioneer DJ Search gets bigger & bigger each year - stats don't lie. Whilst not everyone may agree with our public voting system, I know for a fact this competition is motivating more & more DJs out there to enter and network with other DJs around the country. You personally may not rate the mixes in our TOP 20/TOP10, however you only have to look at last year's winner - DJ Playmate - to see that this competition is unearthing some great DJ talent. Not only has DJ Playmate been offered a second Ambassadorship with Pioneer DJ, but Future Entertainment were very quick to offer her a mainstage gig at this year's Future Music (Sydney), because they too were simply impressed by her DJ talent. The list of industry contacts wanting to associate themselves with DJ Playmate will only continue to rise - a true professional.

We are fortunate to have DJ Playmate in our Ambassador family, alongside the likes of Grant Smillie, Stafford Brothers, Helena, plus more, including a big name DJ/Producer - to be announced very soon!

With Pioneer partnering professional DJs around the world, we look for more than simply DJ skills when selecting an Ambassador. Whilst DJ skills are without doubt critical, being able to promote,network, market yourself are also very important skills. The biggest DJ names in Australia have not built their profile simply based on DJ skills, but also their ability to market themselves to their fans.

The main purpose behind Pioneer DJ Search 2010 was not about giving away free product or cash prizes, but rather assisting a talented DJ with an Ambassadorship, whereby they have the opportunity to play at a major Future festival, as well as work with the brand over a 12 month period, alongside other key Ambassadors. This years winner will become the public face of the Pioneer 350 Monsta Series and we will create a serious of opportunities for them to build their profile.

The competition has come a long way in the last two years. The active involvement of entrants & voters has been through the roof.

To say that 'spamming' or 'sex sells' is the key to Pioneer DJ Search 2010 is completely off the mark. We are always open to constructive criticism on how this competition can be improved. For some 'so called experts', who love nothing more than to be negative on forums, I challenge you to outline how you would like to see us improve Pioneer DJ Search in 2010.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer DJ View Post

To say that 'spamming' is the key to Pioneer DJ Search 2010 is completely off the mark. We are always open to constructive criticism on how this competition can be improved. For some 'so called experts', who love nothing more than to be negative on forums, I challenge you to outline how you would like to see us improve Pioneer DJ Search in 2010.

This is a tricky one...As soon as you open up a competition to be won based on votes from the public then a lot of entrants will "spam" as much as possible to try & win.

Personally i'd like to see more comps, including things like the ITM50 voted on by industry people, but i guess then people will whinge that they pick favorites.

So yeah damned if you do, damned if you dont
Playing at;

SHRUG
Jaakko +

Retarded Uber

Times thanked
<
It seems that a rather enormous point is being missed by the members of Team Hatorade. The overall winner isn't determined by sheer number of votes - the finalists are determined this way. From there, the overall winner will be determined by a group of industry professionals. Not - and I'll say it again if you want to lean in really close and pay attention - picked out as the entry with the most public votes.

And you know what? If someone has enough motivation and desire to put themselves into that final mix then I believe they've earned it. Those that haven't even entered should either put up, or shut up; especially when all they've got to offer is negativity.
Bringing back correct usage of the semicolon.
dingleberry +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer DJ View Post

This years winner will become the public face of the Pioneer 350 Monsta Series and we will create a serious of opportunities for them to build their profile.

Wow

I thought the 350 series was more of a bedroom newbie setup. I would'nt put my face on that setup.

Anyways I'd go to the club to spot dj playmate for her looks, not her taste of music or skills So its still a win win situation (Btw she's not a bad dj, she does the job quite good and imho a pro dj should be more technical and really stand out with the mixing, her mixing is very basic)

But then i still prefer Niki when it comes to chicks behind decks, if she enters the compitition she would get my vote without even listening to the music

DJ Cue +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Wow

I thought the 350 series was more of a bedroom newbie setup. I would'nt put my face on that setup.

I keep forgetting that you were Pioneer DJ's first choice for the face of the CDJ-2000s hey dingleberry, but for reasons unknown to me (prolly the backend politics or something), they ended up with Roger Sanchez, Eddie Halliwell, the Swedish House Mafia, Armin van Buuren, Laidback Luke and Paul Woodford...Silly me...
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »