Sport and Fitness

Bulking Up & Getting Buff (putting on 15kgs+)

Tools
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAvoZ View Post

i prefer girls to be fit, but the chicks your are posting are shit. dnw muscly women with bulging biceps veins. thx.

i think she looks good.......the swedish girl is juiced, but she is in ripped condition in the second pic probabaly around 8% bf and she wouldn't be like that all year round, she would look smoother when she's not in contest condition like in the first pic
franko123 +

Hello, this is your captain speaking.

Times thanked
< 861
i'm thinking 75kg might be a good weight to aim for... that's like 8kg's to gain.... i'd get a bit more muscle on my bone with that little bit extra weight yeah?

my only problem is i don't eat much... i hate eating... if it was up to me i'd never eat anything but since it's necessary to living i gotta do it...

it's such a struggle.. /sigh
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by franko123 View Post

i'm thinking 75kg might be a good weight to aim for... that's like 8kg's to gain.... i'd get a bit more muscle on my bone with that little bit extra weight yeah?

use the mirror not the scales. if you are happy with what you look at, that should be the guide. the scales lie but the mirror never lies. i say the same thing for anyone that gets obsessed with what the scales say...........throw the scales out and use the mirror
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
^ good point... 7kg would make me massive to be honest....

i'm happy with what i see.. a little scrawny but it'll change soon enough
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

So is this the new "i wanna be beefy thread" ? anyway, does anyone have any tips for One-Arm Dumbell Rows? I try to keep shoulder blades pinched, my arm nice and tucked, I don't let my shoulder drop at the bottom either, but my bicep still dictates how heavy I can go, not my back !

I am constantly dissappoint with this exercise, feels like I may aswell just do some hammer curls....

anyone have any tips ?

Use a barbell. Dumbbell rows shit me too.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

use the mirror not the scales. if you are happy with what you look at, that should be the guide. the scales lie but the mirror never lies. i say the same thing for anyone that gets obsessed with what the scales say...........throw the scales out and use the mirror

A problem though is that people can get obsessed with the mirror muscles and overdevelop their pecs and biceps at the expense of their back.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,982
Don't worry about the mirror or the scales and work on getting your deadlift up to 500lb

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Times thanked
< 2,076

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

Use a barbell. Dumbbell rows shit me too.

I quite enjoy barbell rows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Don't worry about the mirror or the scales and work on getting your deadlift up to 500lb

I'll get there soon enough.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

A problem though is that people can get obsessed with the mirror muscles and overdevelop their pecs and biceps at the expense of their back.

if you are doing deadlifts, it's pretty hard to ignore your back muscles
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 277

Quote:

See I only deadlift a moderate weight. At 6’4” I’m at a bio-mechanical disadvantage in the lift so don’t want to over do it. I assume you are pretty tall eddie, do have the same issue?
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,982

Quote:

See I only deadlift a moderate weight. At 6’4” I’m at a bio-mechanical disadvantage in the lift so don’t want to over do it. I assume you are pretty tall eddie, do have the same issue?

I'm tall but I have gorilla arms, much better at the deadlift than bench press. you tried sumo style?

Quote:

trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 277

Quote:

I'm tall but I have gorilla arms, much better at the deadlift than bench press. you tried sumo style?

No not yet, read about it a while ago but haven’t given it a go. Might this week.

I might add that all three powerlifting movements taller people are at a biomechanical disadvantage. Most strength and powerlifting training gurus I find assume everyone is between 5’8” to 5’11”, and tailor their techniques/training programs accordingly. Great for people of average height, not so perfect for dudes over 6’2”.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,982
I'm a shade under 6'3", but I'm pretty far from what you would describe as 'lanky'

The big thing to make sure of when you are taller is that it is imperative you have the bar ripping up your shins, not out from your body and you probably need to stick your arse out a bit more too.

Quote:

Bism +

Times thanked
< 18,330
My shins were seriously haggard after the 100 x 1.

Mmmm, Deadlift blood.
Poondaddy Shortbread +

So it's rorschach and prozac and everything is groovy

Times thanked
< 1,391

Quote:

Haha that's my excuse too.

I'm 6'4" too and deadlift was/is my best lift. Without much regular training I was getting 1RM close to 200kgs and keen to see how much I can lift with regular sessions and eating properly. Hate those shorties though.
More like borophyl
PandaMonium +

Carpe scrotum

Times thanked
< 1,186

Quote:

No not yet, read about it a while ago but haven’t given it a go. Might this week.

I might add that all three powerlifting movements taller people are at a biomechanical disadvantage. Most strength and powerlifting training gurus I find assume everyone is between 5’8” to 5’11”, and tailor their techniques/training programs accordingly. Great for people of average height, not so perfect for dudes over 6’2”.

Dont go for conventional to sumo overnight. Gradually wide your stance over a few weeks. I suggest also dropping the loading by at least 30%. Pulling sumo requires far more mobility at the hips and adductors compared to conventional.

You can reduce bar travel significantly in both the DL and squat with sumo stance. If you are a lanky guy and have long joint levers for the bench there is nothing too much you can do technique wise to significantly decrease bar travel. If you get thicker through the torso this will help incrementally as well.
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
So when you guys talk about Barbell rows, do you mean resting one side of the barbell on the ground and pulling it up ? or bent over rows?

Its pretty funny, the start of my back workout involves riding 2 mins to the local school and using the chin-ups bars hahah
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Times thanked
< 1,298

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAvoZ View Post

i prefer girls to be fit, but the chicks your are posting are shit. dnw muscly women with bulging biceps veins. thx.

Each to there own.

The fact that these women probably lift the same as myself & are as strong / maybe stronger is what motivates me. I admire the way they have focussed to get the way they have.

Would love to arm wrestle them.

BabOrama!

My motivation to get to the Gym today.

BRISBANE ROAR FC

A-League Titles 3 times
2010-11 2011-12 2013-14

CHELSEA FC

First Div / EPL Titles 4 times
1954–55 2004–05 2005–06 2009–10

FA Cups 7 times
1969–70 1996–97 1999–00 2006–07 2008–09 2009–10 2011-12

European Champs
2011-12 (only London team to do it)

Last edited by Dero13: 07-Oct-10 at 08:18am

trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 277

Quote:

I'm a shade under 6'3", but I'm pretty far from what you would describe as 'lanky'

The big thing to make sure of when you are taller is that it is imperative you have the bar ripping up your shins, not out from your body and you probably need to stick your arse out a bit more too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poondaddy Shortbread View Post

Haha that's my excuse too.

I'm 6'4" too and deadlift was/is my best lift. Without much regular training I was getting 1RM close to 200kgs and keen to see how much I can lift with regular sessions and eating properly. Hate those shorties though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaMonium View Post

Dont go for conventional to sumo overnight. Gradually wide your stance over a few weeks. I suggest also dropping the loading by at least 30%. Pulling sumo requires far more mobility at the hips and adductors compared to conventional.

You can reduce bar travel significantly in both the DL and squat with sumo stance. If you are a lanky guy and have long joint levers for the bench there is nothing too much you can do technique wise to significantly decrease bar travel. If you get thicker through the torso this will help incrementally as well.

I'm 95kg so not lanky, but it would be great to put on another 4-5kg of muscle. I usually don't go past 100kg for deadlift, but up the reps. I think I will try sumo stance in order to eventually start increasing the weight. cheers.
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 277

Quote:

So when you guys talk about Barbell rows, do you mean resting one side of the barbell on the ground and pulling it up ? or bent over rows?

Its pretty funny, the start of my back workout involves riding 2 mins to the local school and using the chin-ups bars hahah

bent over barbell rows. "Pumping Iron" style.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dero13 View Post

Each to there own.

The fact that these women probably lift the same as myself & are as strong / maybe stronger is what motivates me. I admire the way they have focussed to get the way they have.

Would love to arm wrestle them.

BabOrama!

My motivation to get to the Gym today.

That's quality!! I prefer a chick with muscle any day
Vital +

Times thanked
< 81

Quote:

I might add that all three powerlifting movements taller people are at a biomechanical disadvantage.

Isn't that only true if you're disproportionately skinny? If two people have the same build and proportons but one is taller than the other, shouldn't the taller person be able to lift more considering the weight he's lifting is smaller (relative to his muscle mass)?
BigGroovyFcuker +

Gurnstroker

Times thanked
< 2,320

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_karma View Post

Do they really work without fucking the door frame? Support your weight alright?

pull ups? best: http://www.getirongym.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1
requires only a door frame with architrave, supports up to 125kg. bought mine for $50 at kmart.

imo the scales are important. i used to weigh myself daily. not so much to see how much progress i was making, but moreso to make sure i was maintaining the weight i had put on and not going backwards. i believe it is crucial, because when you are not training and have benders on the weekend etc all the diet stuff goes out the window so it's easy to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. 1kg/week is easily doable as that's what i was achieving and you seem to be surpassing that already. but like myself you'll probably plateau around weeks 8-10. when you stop seeing increases in weight for a couple of weeks it means it's time to add more calories and add more plates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post

ITM is, as far as I can see, the institute of trolls and memes. Alas and alack---it's time for my evening meal.

Infringing on copyrights since 1999

ITM 2012 NRL SC Champion
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
Dear fit big people. Far greater than protein shakes, and in lollipops to suitably cate for your ego. The End.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.

Even yours pee three three seven.

Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
< 23,109
I'll stick with dead cow. Thanks anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vital View Post

Isn't that only true if you're disproportionately skinny? If two people have the same build and proportons but one is taller than the other, shouldn't the taller person be able to lift more considering the weight he's lifting is smaller (relative to his muscle mass)?

In terms of force generation, theoretically yes. However, a taller lifter has to move the bar through a longer range of motion to complete a rep. A clear example is bench press. Tall guys with long arms generally cannot press anywhere near the same weight as stocky guys with short arms. The movements we have developed to test strength (such as powerlifting) are valuable but ultimately imperfect.
PandaMonium +

Carpe scrotum

Times thanked
< 1,186

Quote:

+1
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Times thanked
< 1,298

Quote:

Bloody Oath

Brazillian Bomb Gracyanne Barbosa
BRISBANE ROAR FC

A-League Titles 3 times
2010-11 2011-12 2013-14

CHELSEA FC

First Div / EPL Titles 4 times
1954–55 2004–05 2005–06 2009–10

FA Cups 7 times
1969–70 1996–97 1999–00 2006–07 2008–09 2009–10 2011-12

European Champs
2011-12 (only London team to do it)
PandaMonium +

Carpe scrotum

Times thanked
< 1,186

Quote:

In terms of force generation, theoretically yes. However, a taller lifter has to move the bar through a longer range of motion to complete a rep. A clear example is bench press. Tall guys with long arms generally cannot press anywhere near the same weight as stocky guys with short arms. The movements we have developed to test strength (such as powerlifting) are valuable but ultimately imperfect.

Not quite.. there are actually a couple of formulae which may be employed to work out relative strength superiority, eg Wilks formula in the IPF. It also depends on what sort of strength you are trying to measure: acceleration strength/ROFD, absolute strength, endurance strength,speed-strength, strength speed etc. Those factors do not need to take account of the size of the training subject - just the outputs (absolute strength being the exception of course).
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
captain barbosa?

PandaMonium +

Carpe scrotum

Times thanked
< 1,186
mmmm more like barba mollusca.....but then again, she is Brazilian, so perhaps not....
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 277

Quote:

Not quite.. there are actually a couple of formulae which may be employed to work out relative strength superiority, eg Wilks formula in the IPF. It also depends on what sort of strength you are trying to measure: acceleration strength/ROFD, absolute strength, endurance strength,speed-strength, strength speed etc. Those factors do not need to take account of the size of the training subject - just the outputs (absolute strength being the exception of course).

Yeah the Wilks formula is interesting. But it’s not used to crown powerlifting champions though is it? Isn’t it used more to compare the champions between the weight classes? Also I don’t think height (and therefore leverage) is an input into the formula, so while very useful it’s still somewhat imperfect.

Times thanked
< 2,076

Quote:

so while very useful it’s still somewhat imperfect.

All models are wrong, but some are useful .

Quote:

PandaMonium +

Carpe scrotum

Times thanked
< 1,186

Quote:

Yeah the Wilks formula is interesting. But it’s not used to crown powerlifting champions though is it? Isn’t it used more to compare the champions between the weight classes? Also I don’t think height (and therefore leverage) is an input into the formula, so while very useful it’s still somewhat imperfect.

To win you lift the most weight. Period. Formulae are used to determine pound-for-pound who is the 'stronger' lifter, ie. as close to an empirical measure of relative strength as you can get (currently)

Height is not an input into the formula, nor should it be. However, height is not necessarily the sole determinant, when really it is the length of joint levers relative to height and to length of other joint levers, torso length, thickness etc.

I have met, trained and competed with lots of tall guys over the years. They all, without exception, pulled over 250kg. They compensated for lever issues by technique changes and perseverance.

Times thanked
< 2,076
Dropped sets down to 5 reps and cranked up the weight today. Pretty happy with the workout, hopefully going to be in a world of pain tomorrow.

Bench Press 3x5x40kgs
Military Press 3x5x27.5kgs
Upright Barbell Row 3x5x30kgs
Close Grip Barbell Curl 3x5x22.5kgs
Push-Ups 3x20
Lying Dumbell Tricep Extension 3x5x7kgs
Arnold Dumbell Press 3x5x7kgs

I wanna get those last two isolation exercises up a little bit higher next week. Hopefully will be benching 55kgs (what I weighed when I started) in a few weeks time . Now that will be my first achievement.

Quote:

buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_karma View Post

Dropped sets down to 5 reps and cranked up the weight today. Pretty happy with the workout, hopefully going to be in a world of pain tomorrow.

Bench Press 3x5x40kgs
Military Press 3x5x27.5kgs
Upright Barbell Row 3x5x30kgs
Close Grip Barbell Curl 3x5x22.5kgs
Push-Ups 3x20
Lying Dumbell Tricep Extension 3x5x7kgs
Arnold Dumbell Press 3x5x7kgs

I wanna get those last two isolation exercises up a little bit higher next week. Hopefully will be benching 55kgs (what I weighed when I started) in a few weeks time . Now that will be my first achievement.

what is an upright barbell row?

do you do the push ups narrow hand as a tricep exercise or wider for chest? My only comment is that try and get each bodypart done and then move on to the next rather than doing an exercise and hitting it again 3 exercises later. if the blood is there, use it

Times thanked
< 2,076
Media Player
Upright Barbell Row - YouTube

Using it to work on my traps. Or do you reckon shrugs would be a better idea? I chose to put it in over the shrugs because it works a lot more other muscles as well at the same time.

Push-ups are wider hand for chest. Should I be doing that after bench press?

Quote:

buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
if you are already doing militaries and deadlifts, your traps and shoulders will already be getting a good workout. Upright rows are fine but if you want a direct trap exercise, then do shrugs instead of upright rows

i prefer to work one muscle at a time, blast it and then move on to the next muscle group
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,411

Quote:

what is an upright barbell row?

do you do the push ups narrow hand as a tricep exercise or wider for chest? My only comment is that try and get each bodypart done and then move on to the next rather than doing an exercise and hitting it again 3 exercises later. if the blood is there, use it

Interesting, I tend to mix it all about with muscle groups...

Also, if I do a work out before lunch then have a bowl of pasta, with tuna and cheese ( And nando sauce hehe, is this ia good lunch to be having? What about drink?
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdb2 View Post

Interesting, I tend to mix it all about with muscle groups...

Also, if I do a work out before lunch then have a bowl of pasta, with tuna and cheese ( And nando sauce hehe, is this ia good lunch to be having? What about drink?

as long as you are getting enough protein and keeping the fat reasonable (ie no more than 15% of your daily intake), don't get too caught up on what you are eating, just eat a lot.

just drink water
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,411
Alrighty cool, will do.

As for the muscle groups, is it beneficial working on one muscle group them moving to the next etc or?
DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230

Quote:

Wilks is used to determine who wins the best lifter award at the end of the competition.

Bodyweight class winners are determined by who totals the most regardless of their weight (within the class) - if there is a tie, the win goes to the lighter lifter.

The powerlifting in the World Games is split into 4 weight classes and each medalist is determined by Wilks formula rather than total - this is the way the IPF is heading.
Dollar. Dollar. Bills. Y'all.
DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230

Quote:

To win you lift the most weight. Period. Formulae are used to determine pound-for-pound who is the 'stronger' lifter, ie. as close to an empirical measure of relative strength as you can get (currently)

Height is not an input into the formula, nor should it be. However, height is not necessarily the sole determinant, when really it is the length of joint levers relative to height and to length of other joint levers, torso length, thickness etc.

I have met, trained and competed with lots of tall guys over the years. They all, without exception, pulled over 250kg. They compensated for lever issues by technique changes and perseverance.

Being tall can actually be an advantage in the deadlift due to the levers - Brad Gillingham is one of the best drug-free deadlifters ever (400kg @ 125+) and is 6'5".

Bondarenko also pulled 400 and is about 6'6".

Generally being taller is a disadvantage in squat and bench.
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
is that because taller people = longer arms = effectively doing a longer bench press?
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,454

Quote:

is that because taller people = longer arms = effectively doing a longer bench press?

Yeah pretty much, they have to raise the bar further proportional to the amount of muscle they're using to raise it with. Squats favour short legs for the same reason.
Whereas with deadlifts long arms are an advantage as long arms mean you don't have to bend your back as much to get down to the bar.
PandaMonium +

Carpe scrotum

Times thanked
< 1,186

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMPM View Post

Being tall can actually be an advantage in the deadlift due to the levers - Brad Gillingham is one of the best drug-free deadlifters ever (400kg @ 125+) and is 6'5".

Yep

Generally being taller is a disadvantage in squat and bench.

And yep

The point I was making, albeit diplomatically and indirectly to the OP, was to say that there's a lot of crap on the web that says because you are over 'x' tall you should not/ will not be a good puller or squatter because of the joint levers.

The interesting thing about brad is that he pulls with a narrower than conventional stance, which is odd when you expect him to pull sumo because his height and size/
DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230
There are plenty of great tall squatters and benchers, so yeah, not an excuse.
PandaMonium +

Carpe scrotum

Times thanked
< 1,186
When's your next event? I am off to the US next week and am going to pop in to to the compound and meet tate and wendler. Stoked.
DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230
Oh sweet man.

Vics April next year will be my next probably.
PandaMonium +

Carpe scrotum

Times thanked
< 1,186

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMPM View Post

Oh sweet man.

Vics April next year will be my next probably.

My best mate and old training partner went there before the Arnold. Wendler kept bagging my mate - who is a big unit - and kept hitting on his girlfriend (in a good natured way). They're friends now and hung out for a while in Dublin when Wendler was over there. I just want to buy some shizzle while I am there - they use UPS for international mail and they fucking arse rape you -

« Previous Thread Next Thread »