The DJ Booth

"Live" Sets

Tools
harlsom +

Dry me NOW.

Times thanked
<
"Live" Sets
I'm noticing more and more artist lists for festivals and clubs with "Live" or "Liveset" next to their name on the poster.

Are they just slapping that on anyone using ableton? Or do these "live" performers actually use instruments, hardware sequencers etc during their sets?
http://soundcloud.com/harlsom/tracks

"Oh yeah I didn't think of that..."
baax +

Times thanked
<
I generally take it to mean the artist will be playing their own pre recorded tracks off a lapy and adding a bit of swoosh here and there.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
Noticing? Has been pretty common place for at least 4 years now....

Agreed with Baax ~ live (when reffering to 1 person) generally means an ableton set of resequencing/mixing their own material this could be as simple as launching scenes using a mouse or expanded to use various midi devices.

Live PA generally means there will be some additional folks involved - vox- percusion etc
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
http://soundcloud.com/afrowhitie
khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
<
Then there's the "Live DJ Set" to fool the (below)average punters e.g. Ruby Rose at Myers Adelaide.
Don't think there's a standard with calling a set 'live' atm, just gotta do your research into the artist to see their take on it.
/|±±|\
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaiyin View Post

Then there's the "Live DJ Set" to fool the (below)average punters.

there's quite a few wedding djs that call themselves "live"
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
Daft Punk are wedding deejays?
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catdog69Kool View Post

I wish they'd do my wedding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
<
I see it as this:

Live Set: they perform some, or all, parts live (keys, drummer/drummachine, vox etc)
Live PA: Usually just a vocalist, or some random instrument (bongos anyone?) over a backing instrumental
Live DJ Set: The DJ actually mixes tunes (in some pubs all they have is a jukebox, or some guy sitting behind a computer pressing "play" on iTunes)
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catdog69Kool View Post

at least they play their own music when doin it live...

and we all want that LCD soundsystem track to come true!
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
I reckon if they use a mixture of ableton, sequncers, some synths, drum machines then its live...even if they use a lot of samples. When they are just using whole tracks precorded, well thats djing whether its done on a latop or not.
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
^seconded

playing "live" to me means they actually drum out patterns on make music on the stage, whereas when theyu just press play on a sequencer, it essentially is just djing, but with stems, instead of complete songs
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Damien Goundrie +

Times thanked
<
As a producer as well as a DJ I often get the "Live" tag put on promo material when I'm just booked to do a DJ set. Also my project name gets put up when I'm doing a DJ set without my vocalist, keyboardist or percussionist.

I try to get them to put "Project name DJ set" or "Project Name Live", but they tend to get it the wrong way around.

In regards to "just mixing stems on Ableton" There's only so much one person can do. And as for "playing original tracks and adding some FX" at least people are writing original tracks.

One last thing, a funny story if you will, I was playing an original track off Ableton. A track that I had spent a month working on, recording vocals, a fully programmed drum track, all original synth parts, no loops. And some punter comes up to me and very aggressively accuses me of "Cheating". I thought this guy was going to hit me. I tried to explain what I was doing, but quickly realized that I was getting nowhere quickly. The guy flipped me the bird and stormed off with his mate glaring at me like I'd robbed his family home.

A week later I'm doing a function at the same venue, a corporate function, where you get sent a list of songs from the organizers and you just stick your headphones on and think of the rent you're paying. Anyway, I'm using Serato and playing a top 40 cheese track that I, or anyone who goes on these forums would never choose to listen too. A punter who thinks he's a bit too cool comes over to me, points at the control vinyl, gives me the thumbs up and says "Keeping it real man"

I didn't try to explain.
EssTee +

Times thanked
<
Gotta love ppl set in their own ways. If you dont do it their way or they think your not out of ignorance they give you crap.
clubdj +

Times thanked
<
OMG. Good work whoever started this thread!

I can't help but point out 2 of my pet hates:

DJ flyers that say "DJ blah live every Friday from 10"

-how could a DJ be anything but live? And the. Even when he is it's not really actually LIVE because he's not making the music with instruments. Imagine if ac/dc did their recent concert live but just had the guys in a DJ box all playing CDs together!

Secondly. Djs that post "live mixes" that are absolutely flawless and clearly recorded pre planned.

Ah I feel better now and before anyone tries to rip me down ALL my mixes are truly recorded live. Listen to my fuckups and see lol

« Previous Thread Next Thread »