The DJ Booth

Digusting ITM Competition - Your Shot DJ Comp

Tools
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
Digusting ITM Competition - Your Shot DJ Comp
http://www.inthemix.com.au/competiti...istration_page

noticed this in the competitions section

basically

the way im reading it is.

theyre saying 'anybody can be a dj'
you dont need talent, you just need to play good tunes.

what it is, is they get 72 contestants, teach them how to mix, give them a gig @ greenwood at a special event, then the winner (whoever plays the most popular music) gets a gig @ fmf, an interstate gig,a dj package, a dj set on a MOS download compilation, guest mix on MOS radio, greenwood residency, itm will promote the shit out of you and a years worth of red bull to add to it.

i just find this disgusting to all those people that have taught themselves to dj, and have worked hard at it, have talent and struggle to get gigs because its a tough scene and they need to get out there more.

not just me (i dont avidly look for gigs anyway) but there is loads of them.

and then a competition like this comes around and makes it look like "anybody can be a dj" and that you dont need talent to do it.

its spitting in the face of a profession and absolutely disgusting of itm.
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
undiscovered talent my fucking ass

the undiscovered talent is out there, with passion ,working their asses off on what they do and loving it.

not looking for a 'lucky shot competition" where they need to do shit all.

fuck
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
Agreed.
When I saw the comp initially I was thinking pretty much most of what you already mentioned.
That said...doubt I'll be entering it
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool
jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<
werd. it's all about the FB guest list. not the talent.
Have you checked out Marsh Media recently?

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieBrooke

when cueing up "Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) by Wham I knew it was gonna go off!!!

jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<
6 week training course and get to play at FS?
Get to sit on the next MOS album?

fuck that

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

when cueing up "Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) by Wham I knew it was gonna go off!!!

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
this isn't DJing. it's basically taking some n00b tryhard, putting them up on stage and then laughing in the face of all the other people out there who actually put some serious effort into their trade and try to make a name for themselves..

man, the mainstream scene sucks so much dicks
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
yeah well that's a mainstream dj comp.....
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

And there lies the challenge.
Justin_m23 +

Times thanked
<
Well...anyone CAN be a DJ.
bressos +

save your scrap for Victory!

Times thanked
<
my dog wants to be a dj
j_hunter +

Times thanked
<
yeah it's hilarious and retarded but it's all just about sponsorship (dj warehouse getting their name out there) and yes it's mainstream.

don't get cut up... just laugh.

seriously it's not worth it.

obvious from the outset it's the same old shit more about the business/promotion side of things. QUALITY music more often than not takes the back seat in any DJ comp. (australian dance music culture is way behind europe therefore mainstream winzzzz)

peace
Upcoming Gigs:

1st of July - Sky Room, Brisbane
6th of July - Barsoma, Brisbane
22nd of July - Sky Room, Brisbane
12th of August - Sky Room, Brisbane

Check out my music on:

Beatport

Soundcloud
ravs +

Times thanked
<
DJ Idol that's what it is.

Seriously DJ culture is so watered down and bastardized. It's like what happened to breaking in the 80s.
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Crown Street Cut Collective
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
http://www.district.net.au
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

And there lies the challenge.

thank you.
i'd rather see a set of a dj playing really good tunes and not mixing them particularly well, than see a dj play a ridiculously well mixed set, and really boring tunes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Okay, at the risk of getting slammed for my input here, I'm going to tell you about my experience with (the first) Your Shot competition.

Slag me off, if you will, but hear me out, by all means!

At first, I was very skeptical about entering this competition. I had an opinion similar to the above comments in this thread. Honestly.

As you all well know, there are a lot of dodgy, wanky DJ comps around the place, and at first, I believed this would be no exception.

When advised of the "interview day" details at the Greenwood, I was in two minds whether to attend. Being 24, and a club and (internet) radio DJ already for a few years, I didn't think I'd fit the mold, nor did I think I would be the type that the competition organisers were looking for.

Regardless, I attended the interview day, following a bit of a push from a friend of mine. I went along for a laugh, more than anything else.

Following the interview day, within a couple of short weeks, I was delivered the exciting news that I was accepted into the final 30. I was shocked, and somewhat flattered, and pretty excited.

The six (or so) weeks, leading up to the "big day", were great. It was an excellent opportunity to meet a lot of cool, like-minded people, in the fellow competitors, alongside the DJWarehouse crew, and of course, Steve and Marc, the organisers.

There wasn't a hint of animosity between the competitors, either, as much as I thought there might be. Everyone was equally, genuinely excited to see the success of one another on the final day.

I had an incredible day on that Sunday in July and I was very happy to be placed 4th, in the competition.

Most of the competitors are now enjoying regular DJ bookings across the Sydney scene, and I believe that in this new competition, there will be even more opportunities.

The beauty of this competition is that it places everybody on equal playing ground, and the classes at DJWarehouse are very much tailored to your requirements. DJWarehouse also offered huge hire discounts, which allowed competitors to hire CDJs and a mixer for the entire duration of the training, and competition lead up.

I can honestly say that it was one of the most positive experiences of my life, and I'd recommend anyone, regardless of experience or background, to give it a shot!

For those wondering, I am definitely not on the Smirnoff pay roll!

I'd honestly suggest giving it a shot.
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
P.S. Nor am I a blog-smashing, Limewire-downloading, sync button-pressing, Dutch House-playing, noob!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
ravs +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendanClay View Post

Okay, at the risk of getting slammed for my input here, I'm going to tell you about my experience with (the first) Your Shot competition.

Slag me off, if you will, but hear me out, by all means!

At first, I was very skeptical about entering this competition. I had an opinion similar to the above comments in this thread. Honestly.

As you all well know, there are a lot of dodgy, wanky DJ comps around the place, and at first, I believed this would be no exception.

When advised of the "interview day" details at the Greenwood, I was in two minds whether to attend. Being 24, and a club and (internet) radio DJ already for a few years, I didn't think I'd fit the mold, nor did I think I would be the type that the competition organisers were looking for.

Regardless, I attended the interview day, following a bit of a push from a friend of mine. I went along for a laugh, more than anything else.

Following the interview day, within a couple of short weeks, I was delivered the exciting news that I was accepted into the final 30. I was shocked, and somewhat flattered, and pretty excited.

The six (or so) weeks, leading up to the "big day", were great. It was an excellent opportunity to meet a lot of cool, like-minded people, in the fellow competitors, alongside the DJWarehouse crew, and of course, Steve and Marc, the organisers.

There wasn't a hint of animosity between the competitors, either, as much as I thought there might be. Everyone was equally, genuinely excited to see the success of one another on the final day.

I had an incredible day on that Sunday in July and I was very happy to be placed 4th, in the competition.

Most of the competitors are now enjoying regular DJ bookings across the Sydney scene, and I believe that in this new competition, there will be even more opportunities.

The beauty of this competition is that it places everybody on equal playing ground, and the classes at DJWarehouse are very much tailored to your requirements. DJWarehouse also offered huge hire discounts, which allowed competitors to hire CDJs and a mixer for the entire duration of the training, and competition lead up.

I can honestly say that it was one of the most positive experiences of my life, and I'd recommend anyone, regardless of experience or background, to give it a shot!

For those wondering, I am definitely not on the Smirnoff pay roll!

I'd honestly suggest giving it a shot.

Yousvckballz!

Nah dude in all seriousness it's great that you feel you got a lot out of it and that it was a real positive experience = )

Who were the judges behind the decision making as to who won and what was the judging criteria based on?
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,263 Posts
mainstream djs are all a bunch of shit ****s anyway... it doesn't take talent to mix the latest trashy electro shit or whatever ****s listen to these days, you can seriously teach yourself how to do that shit in less than a day, the music is so unbelievably easy to mix. round them all up and shoot them imo

djs playing good tunes > ones that can mix the latest club bangerzzzzzz flawlessly
ravs +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickbateman View Post

mainstream djs are all a bunch of shit ****s anyway... it doesn't take talent to mix the latest trashy electro shit or whatever ****s listen to these days, you can seriously teach yourself how to do that shit in less than a day, the music is so unbelievably easy to mix. round them all up and shoot them imo

djs playing good tunes > ones that can mix the latest club bangerzzzzzz flawlessly

What constitutes as good tunes though.

In most comps club bangers are considered unfortunately.

Hence why there is an impression to be a good DJ beat matching flawlessly.
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravs View Post

Yousvckballz!

Nah dude in all seriousness it's great that you feel you got a lot out of it and that it was a real positive experience = )

Who were the judges behind the decision making as to who won and what was the judging criteria based on?

I'm actually not sure exactly, mate.

I did see the winner's set though, and given a few factors, including his overwhelming crowd response, I knew he would do well. (And I'm not taking anything away from his ability either, he played the right tunes, and mixed well enough.)

I have no doubt that crowd response came into the equation however; the point that was made very clear by the Greenwood licensee, Marc, was that regardless of how many people you brought, if your mixing wasn't up to scratch, you wouldn't be winning the competition.

Again, if you have nothing to do on the interview day, apply, be yourself, and go for it! You just never know!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
fackedd +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I'm actually not sure exactly, mate.

I did see the winner's set though, and given a few factors, including his overwhelming crowd response, I knew he would do well. (And I'm not taking anything away from his ability either, he played the right tunes, and mixed well enough.)

I have no doubt that crowd response came into the equation however; the point that was made very clear by the Greenwood licensee, Marc, was that regardless of how many people you brought, if your mixing wasn't up to scratch, you wouldn't be winning the competition.

Again, if you have nothing to do on the interview day, apply, be yourself, and go for it! You just never know!

I'm just curious, from your perspective... what was your "HONEST" opinion about some of the other contestants that had not DJ'd before? eg mixing: was it just basic last 30 secs of track... beatmatch into first 30 secs of new track, song choice ect ect.

I'm really keen to know how people did learning in such a short time frame from having no previous experience.
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Well, I think having access to decks for the period of six weeks (due to the DJWarehouse offer), would have helped a lot. There isn't any doubt. I'm sure you all remember those first few weeks when you picked up the craft.

In saying that though, contestants, without prior experience, who didn't take up the offer of hiring equipment, and only used "class" time (i.e. once a week, for two hours), would have struggled immensely, I'd imagine.

On the day, I didn't pay a lot of close attention to the other contestants, and spent a lot of time in the Courtyard, with friends. (On the day, the regular Sounds residents play in the courtyard.)

I didn't want to start second-guessing myself (and my set), by hearing some of my tracks dropped by others etc.

Admittedly, I'd suggest that a lot of the contestants - particularly those totally new to DJ'ing - would have known their set back to front, and I dare say, even memorised the pitch readings.

Though, had someone who fit into that category won on the day, their skills (or lack thereof) would have come to light when they played back-to-back with Tenzin and Timmy Trumpet, in the closing hour.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
DJ's taking themselves serious ITT
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
butthurt much guys.

enter the comp and win then.
step on my cubes.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
really tho who cares? from what i know a few of the guys who went well are now out and about playing regular sets and they seem to enjoy the music they play even if it is not to everyones tastes. I see no reason not to enter if u got nothing else on....or you could stay in ur bedroom playing playing obscure music only you will appreciate.
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
oh, so they have to use dj equipment, not lemurs. No wonder you are shitty jarrard
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

really tho who cares? from what i know a few of the guys who went well are now out and about playing regular sets and they seem to enjoy the music they play even if it is not to everyones tastes. I see no reason not to enter if u got nothing else on....or you could stay in ur bedroom playing playing obscure music only you will appreciate.

yea you're right, just give up the love and do it for the money, right? and then just throw money at people and pose and look cool and shit.

Media Player
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
<
^^ hate
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Well, it could be worse, atleast they are all accomplished producers...
Tech-One
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
[quote=Spicy;394057248]yea you're right, just give up the love and do it for the money, right? and then just throw money at people and pose and look cool and shit.

maybe they teach you jesus pose in the training? i just dont get ppl getting angry at advertising, i mean look around it's everywhere...
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i just dont get ppl getting angry at advertising, i mean look around it's everywhere...

Kinda case and point right there mate
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

maybe they teach you jesus pose in the training? i just dont get ppl getting angry at advertising, i mean look around it's everywhere...

sadly this form of advertising creates a product which directly disrespects the original form, and the tradition of DJing. i'm sorry you can't see that!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<
My question is, if it was to rely on musical instruments, would they still offer this concept and try to cram a lifetime of learning into a 6 week course and give you the spot on a tour?
Hmmm, I can just hear a fucked guitar solo now....

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

yea you're right, just give up the love and do it for the money, right? and then just throw money at people and pose and look cool and shit.

ummm, 35 second mark.

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
just enter the comp already jrod

DJs are a dime a dozen these days. Everyone is already a DJ. People call themselves DJs just because they bought some kit ... good on 'em!!

Those with the passion and dedication will go the distance and garner respect ... the others will just press buttons and pump their fists.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Fourthstate +

Registered Beatist

Times thanked
<
its all about the $$$$$ not the music
Catch me playing next @
Breakznight pres Breakbeat Massive @ The Clubhouse 12th October
Dragon Dreaming Festival 2013 - 25-28 October
facebook / soundcloud / spotify / dj.beatport
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

http://www.inthemix.com.au/competiti...istration_page

noticed this in the competitions section

basically

the way im reading it is.

theyre saying 'anybody can be a dj'

what it is, is they get 72 contestants, teach them how to mix, give them a gig @ greenwood at a special event, then the winner (whoever plays the most popular music) gets a gig @ fmf, an interstate gig,a dj package, a dj set on a MOS download compilation, guest mix on MOS radio, greenwood residency, itm will promote the shit out of you and a years worth of red bull to add to it.

i just find this disgusting to all those people that have taught themselves to dj, and have worked hard at it, have talent and struggle to get gigs because its a tough scene and they need to get out there more.

not just me (i dont avidly look for gigs anyway) but there is loads of them.

and then a competition like this comes around and makes it look like "anybody can be a dj" and that you dont need talent to do it.

its spitting in the face of a profession and absolutely disgusting of itm.

settle down princess, unless your jealous of these people playing shit music at shit festivals and getting a mix on a shit cd i don't see why your so wound up. its plain to see that the competition is a joke, if people really love doing what they do then they will continue to dj whether they are getting gigs/festivals/free promo anyway.

don't get me wrong gigs are awesome to get but i wouldn't give up mixing or producing if the opportunities didn't present themselves anymore (or i would just put on another of my own parties and do things the way i want).
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
stepchild +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bressos View Post

my dog wants to be a dj

my dog is a dj
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepchild View Post

my dog is a dj

does yo' dawg got teh skillz to battle this puppy?!

Media Player

funkedub dot com

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
haha thats fkn awesome!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,263 Posts
i just watched that video 10 times in a row
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Absolutely brilliant!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
<
lol you can only see half of the turntable. the dog is just resting his paw on the the record, and there's some guy scratching from the other side.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post

lol you can only see half of the turntable. the dog is just resting his paw on the the record, and there's some guy scratching from the other side.

NOWAI!?!?!

you lie!?!

funkedub dot com

jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

ChadPMIK +

Times thanked
<
This does seem a little whack. If you guys want a competition for DJs, by DJs, and judged by DJs, we just launched our second harmonic mixing contest yesterday: contest.mixedinkey.com
Mixedinkey.com - Harmonic Mixing Software
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
C'mon Chad! That was a poor plugging effort.

There is already a thread about the MIK competition in this forum.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post

Yes, I read that in one of the comments on the video, too.

Still, the expression on the dog's face is very cute.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
m_xt +

Times thanked
<
Do they have to be mixed in key? will non key mixed entries be accpeted?
m_xt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

C'mon Chad! That was a poor plugging effort.

There is already a thread about the MIK competition in this forum.

There actually seems to be two other threads about it? Now im confused is it alright for certain brands or promoters to run dj comps and offer prizes but not others?
sd88me +

Times thanked
<
The difference is.. one is based on skill and track selection (MIK) the other plainly on how cool you are and crowd support (Your Shot)
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam

« Previous Thread Next Thread »