> Gigatools
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowk View Post

I never recall Sugar Ray playing anything remotely cheesey. And yeah, Shamus played big room, cheesey music (and Goodwill would sort of do something between credible and cheese), but when they were big name DJs, there weren't 50 other guys playing exactly the same music as them. So yeah, even though it may have been big tunes, they weren't dime-a-dozen DJs by any stretch of the imagination.

DJ comp would have been targeted at 18/20 year olds, and they majority of them like mainstream music

Pretty much every DJ comp i've witnessed ends up being won with cheesy / popular type music
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I never recall Sugar Ray playing anything remotely cheesey. And yeah, Shamus played big room, cheesey music (and Goodwill would sort of do something between credible and cheese), but when they were big name DJs, there weren't 50 other guys playing exactly the same music as them.

Yeah Sugar ray was always decent...

But Shamus imo was a dime a dozen dj, there were loads of guys playing Junior jack kid creme sort of stuff. cbf listing them, but imo shamus was terrible. He could barely mix and played the most obvious tunes known to man kind..

Goodwill actually used to be quite good in the early days of home, he played some nice deep house and other sort of things. But then he got sucked into the ministy vortex and now sucks freaking badly.
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Nothing wrong with selling out as long as you keep adapting to the current sound, if you get left behind then you might as well call it quits.

That's why its called selling out
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport

Last edited by SlicyDicer: 20-Dec-10 at 04:24pm

Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendanClay View Post

You're joking!

Care to name some of the tracks...?

Was it mixed well at least?!

What's that song that goes "Like I'm the only girl in the world" ?? I heard that at least ten times yesterday. The winner played it. And did a little dance routine to it. Awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
Need a total bomb for the red room at space wowky?
Wowk +

Times thanked
<
I've already got a dance routine lined up for DJ Assault's "Ass & Titties"

Quote:

Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
Nice one.

did a quick google on 'like im the only girl the world'

and came up with this bit of puke-a-riffic brilliance..

Media Player
Wowk +

Times thanked
<
That's the one!

Quote:

SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
I never listen to radio but even I knew that song.

I hate myself for liking it.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
Did the winner have a nice rack at least?
DJ_LG +

Don't write here

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer View Post

I never listen to radio but even I knew that song.

I hate myself for liking it.

I'm not clicking on that video
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_LG View Post

I'm not clicking on that video

smart man!!

Save yourself the ear raping..
Valency +

jawesome

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendanClay View Post

You're joking!

Care to name some of the tracks...?

Was it mixed well at least?!

I heard Raven, Bonkers, Warp, Pon De Floor, Deadmau5 something.. you get the idea.

It was greenwood music being played at the greenwood, shouldn't have expected anything else really.

There was one point where I strolled through all 3 rooms and the same Swedish House Mafia tune was being played in all of them.
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valency View Post

There was one point where I strolled through all 3 rooms and the same Swedish House Mafia tune was being played in all of them.

That sounds like this horrible nightmare I had once..
Wowk +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli-G View Post

Did the winner have a nice rack at least?

Not really.

Quote:

Zooshu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

That sounds like this horrible nightmare I had once..

same!

i was on the flight back from Vietnam, listening to Laurent Garniers essential mix... and i fell asleep, and was dreaming that the plane crashed and landed in 1940's japan. and was so so suprised to have jamie Jones - Summertime playing from every single radio as i walked around...

was insanely realistic i actually thought i had gone back in time, and managed to bring serious toonage with me.

i was on a misson to end the war, whilst some unknown banger was playing. and then pete tong appeared.. and i woke up..

i never want pete tong in my dreams again. i could of saved millions of lives,
For Guestlists to Chinese Laundry, E-mail zooshu at gmail.com

Live set recorded 27/5/11 at the Chinese Laundry Cave.
http://soundcloud.com/zwelli/zwelli-live-laundry

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zwelli/151652808237719
missamy89 +

Bassnectar....

Times thanked
<
Tons of negativity in here guys! A little disappointing to hear when you have people trying their best and putting themselves out there for a chance to do what some of you love doing.
I was a contestant and my brother and I won the Alize' room on Sunday, we didnt play any Swedish House Mafia or "commercial/cheesy" tracks and stuck to our own style. Our room seemed to really enjoy the set we did, both at the Greenwood and at World Bar afterwards.

The winner, Sofaboy, mixed well and knew what sort of audience she would be playing for. She was energetic and had the place dancing! I dont enjoy some of the songs she played but she mixed them well and they sounded great.
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooshu View Post

same!

i was on the flight back from Vietnam, listening to Laurent Garniers essential mix... and i fell asleep, and was dreaming that the plane crashed and landed in 1940's japan. and was so so suprised to have jamie Jones - Summertime playing from every single radio as i walked around...

was insanely realistic i actually thought i had gone back in time, and managed to bring serious toonage with me.

i was on a misson to end the war, whilst some unknown banger was playing. and then pete tong appeared.. and i woke up..

i never want pete tong in my dreams again. i could of saved millions of lives,

fucking LOL... Epic dream indeed..

and missamy, it's a bit much to expect a forum full of dj's to be all positive about anything let alone a comp of this nature
Wowk +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by missamy89 View Post

I was a contestant and my brother and I won the Alize' room on Sunday, we didnt play any Swedish House Mafia or "commercial/cheesy" tracks and stuck to our own style. Our room seemed to really enjoy the set we did, both at the Greenwood and at World Bar afterwards.

I saw some of your set. Not what I'm into musically but to be fair you're right, it wasn't cheese and you two didn't sound like 68 of the other competitors. Though really, I could count on one hand the number of DJs on the day who actually sounded unique and clearly entered for the love of DJing, not the love of being the center of attention. It saddens people like me to see so many DJs just playing utter lowest common denominator music and not trying to express themselves in any way.

Quote:

Wowk +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

and missamy, it's a bit much to expect a forum full of dj's to be all positive about anything

Except picking up groupies

Quote:

Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Except picking up groupies

Ditto Coke. Ditto Hookers.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

. It saddens people like me to see so many DJs just playing utter lowest common denominator music and not trying to express themselves in any way.

To be fair though, it's hard to expect DJ's who havent been playing that long, or who are young themselves to have been exposed to many different styles of music. This was a comp aimed at young up & coming DJ's most of which may have only ever listened to the one style of music which they are exposed to on a regular basis (ie commercial stuff).

I know i look back on some of the tunes i like when i first started DJing and shudder a bit
Playing at;

SHRUG
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Tons of negativity in here guys! A little disappointing to hear when you have people trying their best and putting themselves out there for a chance to do what some of you love doing.

People need to get a tough skin if they want to take their DJing beyond the bedroom. You're going to cop grief from one quarter or another sooner or later ... whether you're unknown or big time famous.

Essentially i'm a prick and don't subscribe to the PLUR way of fostering upcoming DJs. DJs are a dime a dozen these days and i'm all up for weeding out the people that like to label themselves as a "DJ" because they've bought some kit and downloaded 2GB of music in a handful of months.

The scene was less full of shite people calling themselves DJs when the only way you could play was if you'd invested in a collection of vinyl. That time and money investment simply isn't required these days ... I'm not yearning for such days to return ... i'm simply pointing out the how and the why of the new playing field DJs find themselves on and why i think it's totally fair to throw some negativity at some of them.

If they've got the passion & dedication then it's water off a duck's back ... if they're a bit precious and lacking in commitment, then sayonara !!
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
well said mr funkedub...
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

I think you’re missing the point that some people have been putting blood, sweat, tears and a fuck tonne of time (and money) into this game for years without much reward, they do it for a love of the music and the scene it entails…then a competition like this comes along which gives an “up and comer” (read: complete fucking newby who hasn’t done dick to deserve squat) more than pretty much anyone deserves.

I’m personally surprised there isn’t MORE negativity and bitching towards this appalling cluster-fuck of a stupid idea for a competition.

But hey, kudos on playing uniquely (from what I’ve read) and congrats, but seriously, this comp is fucking bullshit

Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
robbz_69 +

needs more dog...

Times thanked
<
^^ x2
Exclusive mixes, news and Deep house & Disco goodness at http://blankcanvasnights.blogspot.com/
missamy89 +

Bassnectar....

Times thanked
<
I can appreciate where you are all coming from, but who's to say that even though Ive entered this "disgusting" competition that I too wont be putting in all of my time, money and passion toward this. I would like to think that everyone isn't just generalising the entire 72 contestants as "newby fame wannabes" because rest assured I am in it for the love of the music.
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

The winner, Sofaboy, mixed well and knew what sort of audience she would be playing for. She was energetic and had the place dancing! I dont enjoy some of the songs she played but she mixed them well and they sounded great.

so the winner was a girl?
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
Sofaboy is a confusing name.. Makes me think of a boy who likes sofa's
missamy89 +

Bassnectar....

Times thanked
<
Yes she is a girl. Her name came from her surname, it was just a play on words.
Better than some of the other names coming out of it..Eeek
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
that's awesome a chick won!
missamy89 +

Bassnectar....

Times thanked
<
She did a good job!
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

I can appreciate where you are all coming from, but who's to say that even though Ive entered this "disgusting" competition that I too wont be putting in all of my time, money and passion toward this. I would like to think that everyone isn't just generalising the entire 72 contestants as "newby fame wannabes" because rest assured I am in it for the love of the music.

It’s just a bloody ridiculous prize to give someone who has just started playing…it’s like handing the keys to a Maserati to someone who just got their L Plates
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Wowk +

Times thanked
<
There were actually quite a few chicks playing. I'd say easily 30% of the contestants were female. Unfortunately only about 3 of them had unique taste in music.

Quote:

manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

It’s just a bloody ridiculous prize to give someone who has just started playing…it’s like handing the keys to a Maserati to someone who just got their L Plates

yeh, but they probably won because they are more hungry for it than us jaded, used up DJs that sit on the sidelines and bemoan that the limelight has passed over us. it's good to see fresh talent breaking through. dance music has always been about that. you're in the wrong game if you think otherwise.
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

There were actually quite a few chicks playing. I'd say easily 30% of the contestants were female. Unfortunately only about 3 of them had unique taste in music.

i'm guessing you'd probably say that about the same percentage of male participants?
Wowk +

Times thanked
<
Well yeah. There weren't many male contestants with much going for them musically, either.

Of the 4 or 5 I can recall who played anything different, 2 or 3 were chicks and 2 were guys

Quote:

brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
I can definitely see both sides of the coin, here. Without a doubt.

I'm often very frustrated at seeing the amount of "DJs" in the scene, playing blogged or torrented music (often at lo-fi quality), and getting gigs because of the popular music they play, and the amount of people they bring to a club night.

Like Funkedub, I'm too yearning for the days of yesteryear, where it wasn't so simple to download a music collection in the blink of an eye, and learn how to put two tracks together using CDJs, or worse yet, hit the dreaded "sync" button.

In saying that, I was a part of the first Your Shot competition, and I enjoyed the experience very much.

On the day, I played music that I wanted to play and mixed it how I wanted to mix it - and I came fourth. (Though, the stakes weren't as high as the recently-completed competition.)

As I've mentioned earlier, for me, this was a very positive experience. Perhaps they overdid it with the amount of contestants this time, but I can't say for sure, as I wasn't directly involved.
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by manuka View Post

i'm guessing you'd probably say that about the same percentage of male participants?

I'd go as far to say that i'd reckon that there's a higher % of female DJ's who play good music vs bad than than us males.
Playing at;

SHRUG
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
hmmmm... well, i don't know about that, you're probably in a better position to know.... i suppose it could because they just have to try a bit harder. DJing is, afterall, a bit of a boys club. and where i come from (brisbane) it's a total sausage festival
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by manuka View Post

i suppose it could because they just have to try a bit harder. DJing is, afterall, a bit of a boys club.

That's exactly why, it's definitely harder for serious female DJ's

However if you flash a bit of skin & play commercial stuff then not so much.
Playing at;

SHRUG
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
like havanah brown?
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valency View Post

Winner played Beatport top 10 electro from 08 - 09.

Shameful.

welcome to how its been for about 4 years now
Something Coming.
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<

Quote:

She did a good job!

I heard she sucked harder than the the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked...
missamy89 +

Bassnectar....

Times thanked
<
She didnt suck at all..She could mix well! And even more props to her for being brand new to it, just like myself.
If you dont like the music she played and base her "sucking" purely on that, then you are just as bad as the rest of those "newby scenesters" that you are all ragging on.

Im not saying anyone is right or wrong, but give credit where it is due to those who are trying their best to use any sort of platform to get their love of mixing and different styles out there. I am a 21 yr old female who initially was learning on vinyl and had never touched a CD-J before this competition so you cant group everyone together! I certainly wouldnt flash anything about to get a gig, I would rather let my music style speak for itself.
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
hey hey .... don't shoot the messenger... I am just passing on what I heard..
missamy89 +

Bassnectar....

Times thanked
<
Thats fair, Im just throwing in my two cents from someone who also had an inside view to every contestant as well as from my own views and thoughts on the competition.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Good on you amy, sounds like you're in it for the right reasons, you deff sound passionate about it which gets my respect

Sydney needs more female DJ's so keep it up, especially when your taste in music develops more

Quote:

I heard she sucked harder than the the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked...

Oh Oli
Playing at;

SHRUG
missamy89 +

Bassnectar....

Times thanked
<
Thanks pom!
Ill post a link to the set we played once I get it on this computer for you all..

Let the judgement begin.... haha
Page 3 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »