Current Affairs and Politics

Online shoppers stealing our GST (also, our jeeeerrrrrrrbs)

Reply
  Tools
Romie +

Registered User

Romie's Avatar
Joined
Jul '08
Times thanked
< 752
Posts
2,838
I dont mind buying locally but some things are a fucking rip off. Lets say to do an oil change for my motorbike, I need 2 new crush washers and an oil filter everytime I do the oil. In the USA the washers are 80 cents, the filter is $5 and locally its $3.50 for the same washer and $14 for the same oil filter. Personally I think anything with more then a 30-40% mark up compared to the USA retail price is a rip off.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588
Also Eddie, a lot of the problems I find with the regions for BR and stops me importing a lot of them already is with the whole Double Play/Triple Play shit, where they include the DVD/Digital versions.
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,778
Posts
50,238

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANCINGDI View Post

before you get any electrical items make sure they work here,. We are 240v they are 110v. A lot of appliances can be either. But it wouldn't be nice if you were stuck with a 110v BluRay player.

autosensing switchmode power supplies are pretty common these days on consumer electronics, but it is worthwhile checking that they are 120-240

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,778
Posts
50,238

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

Also Eddie, a lot of the problems I find with the regions for BR and stops me importing a lot of them already is with the whole Double Play/Triple Play shit, where they include the DVD/Digital versions.

The other option is to buy from amazon.co.uk as they are the same region as us for BR now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588
It's interesting reading old Gerry Harvey news articles.

http://www.news.com.au/business/your...-1225878287355
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Blue Moon's Avatar
Joined
Oct '06
Times thanked
< 308
Posts
12,036
Aaawww poor Gerry, life is so hard.
http://soundcloud.com/blue-tune
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotti View Post

most of the products are 100-400% over what you can pay online, simply put all products for some reason are massivly over priced in AUS, even itunes sell digital media at different prices here than overseas, previously i'm guessing it was cause our $$ was so shit, but now with parity to the USD they don't wan't to pass the savings back to the consumer and are happy to pocket the change.

they're 100-400% higher because the wholesale prices are 100-400% higher FFS !

we now live in a global marketplace with regional price structure's. Aus is well and truly behind the 8ball and i'm tellin ya a lot of jobs will be going.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
Sherbos +

Registered User

Sherbos's Avatar
Joined
Jun '01
Times thanked
< 2
Posts
2,820

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

they're 100-400% higher because the wholesale prices are 100-400% higher FFS !

we now live in a global marketplace with regional price structure's. Aus is well and truly behind the 8ball and i'm tellin ya a lot of jobs will be going.

This is how a healthy economy works. Much like evolution - the strong survive, the weak fail.

If your company can't move with the times and set up its own online space to minimise the overheads you're whinging about or negotiate better wholesale prices then you need to streamline your physical operation or find a new line of work. It's not complicated.
>THUG Records
sydney3000 +

Registered User

Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 22
Posts
1,273
"I’m amazed at how easy it can be today to buy products from overseas retailers.

Large companies have lobbied government to have this practice banned. They want to continue buying cheap foreign raw materials in Brazil, sending factories to China, and IT jobs to India, but do not want you and me to have the same right to take our business elsewhere around the globe. In effect, their motto is “free trade for me, but not for thee”."

http://www.urbanophile.com/2011/01/0...-not-for-thee/
budoo +

Registered User

Joined
May '04
Times thanked
< 247
Posts
1,935
Finally, Twitter has a use:
http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/...-retail-giant/
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherbos View Post

This is how a healthy economy works. Much like evolution - the strong survive, the weak fail.

If your company can't move with the times and set up its own online space to minimise the overheads you're whinging about or negotiate better wholesale prices then you need to streamline your physical operation or find a new line of work. It's not complicated.

gee thanks for that einstein, can you let me know what colour the sky is also ?
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
nrjize +

licking dates

nrjize's Avatar
Joined
Nov '01
Times thanked
< 2,191
Posts
9,502
And yet you continue to whinge?
"I theme-dress depending on where I'm going... if I was going to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, I would wear a kimono - it makes it more fun." Kelly Osbourne.

"yeah, i have back problems that i tried to cure with heroin. what of it?"
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166
not frign whinging mate, just telling it how it is !
I'm living it, not just watching a current affair, my business will be fine as we seen this coming so go back to playing dungeons and dragons.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times

Last edited by horst: 08-Jan-11 at 09:03am

Reason: calm down

Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588
Last edited by horst
Reason: calm down

lol
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
Gotti +

Wonderland

Gotti's Avatar
Joined
Jan '04
Times thanked
< 185
Posts
2,439

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

they're 100-400% higher because the wholesale prices are 100-400% higher FFS !

we now live in a global marketplace with regional price structure's. Aus is well and truly behind the 8ball and i'm tellin ya a lot of jobs will be going.

wait, what? You're justifying this by reasoning that the retail price is 100-400% higher than the wholesale price is because the wholesale price is 100-400% higher What were you tripping on when you posted that?

A mark-up on wholesale prices is how retail survives, i have no problem with it but it has to be within reason, pure profiteering at the expense of consumers is not on, online shopping has done nothing but expose how greedy, lew & co actually are (i guess you don't become a billionare playing fair)
DANCINGDI +

Registered User

DANCINGDI's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 449
Posts
15,742

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

not frign whinging mate, just telling it how it is !
I'm living it, not just watching a current affair, my business will be fine as we seen this coming so go back to playing dungeons and dragons.

Perhaps as you saw this coming and know how to deal with it you could inform others. ??

Btw read an interesting article on online shopping in America. Great example was Macey's, maintained their B& M but investing heavily in online . Their B&M sales went up , their online went up about 4 times as much and they are looking at adding 725 positions to support their online business. Things change.

Btw When I first started looking for work supplies in America because they weren't available here the American sites were awful! It was expensive and time consuming . But have they ever got their act together. I ordered something from America last night 11.03pm our time. Got shipping and DHL tracking number notice email at 8.34am.

The taps I ordered from Sydney weeks ago never did arrive.
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-


BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotti View Post

wait, what? You're justifying this by reasoning that the retail price is 100-400% higher than the wholesale price is because the wholesale price is 100-400% higher What were you tripping on when you posted that?

A mark-up on wholesale prices is how retail survives, i have no problem with it but it has to be within reason, pure profiteering at the expense of consumers is not on, online shopping has done nothing but expose how greedy, lew & co actually are (i guess you don't become a billionare playing fair)

not tripping.
In my industry
OS ws price = $10 - rrp = $20
Oz ws price = $20- rrp = $40
same % margin. yes $ margin is higher, but PLEASE take into account that fixed expenses are way way higher than OS.

I asked this question before but no one answered so i'll ask again.

what do you think is a fair markup ?

i'm coming from a small - medium sized perspective.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANCINGDI View Post

Perhaps as you saw this coming and know how to deal with it you could inform others. ??

what others do you mean ?

when I say we, i am meaning an Aus group of like minded businesses, so we have informed others if thats what you mean ?
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
DANCINGDI +

Registered User

DANCINGDI's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 449
Posts
15,742
^^Well all you have done here is predict doom , and yet you claim to have had the answers all along ?? Why ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

not tripping.
In my industry
OS ws price = $10 - rrp = $20
Oz ws price = $20- rrp = $40
same % margin. yes $ margin is higher, but PLEASE take into account that fixed expenses are way way higher than OS.

I asked this question before but no one answered so i'll ask again.

what do you think is a fair markup ?

i'm coming from a small - medium sized perspective.

The question is far too simplistic .
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-


BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166
i'm predicting doom for the ones not ready, and to be honest its a lot.
As with ALL retail, my business has been hit, but i'm adapting to changes in what i offer in products and service.
My gripes are below.........

- Why are OS retails given advantage over AUS retail in regards to duties and gst ?
- Aus is priced way too high from import duties to rent prices through to end result at shop floor. We/Aus are priced out of the market.
- Everyone thinking ALL retailers are wiping their asses in $100 bills.
- Jobs will go from Aus biggest employers as b&m retail falls over due to more and more internet traffic.
- The world gone crazy on "cheap" without looking at big picture.

why is the question too simplistic ? I'll rephrase then.........

Do you think it's fair that nothing is over 100% markup from ws to rrp too high for branded clothing ?
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
DANCINGDI +

Registered User

DANCINGDI's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 449
Posts
15,742
I think you are asking that question to divert attention from a lot of your other stuff just doesn't make sense. You seem to be ignoring all the things that Aus business is doing wrong and blaming everything else.

Haven't you been reading?? it's NOT about cheap!! It's about service and availability for a lot of people with price being an added bonus. !! Jobs WILL be created in other areas . We wouldn't have to pay any import if manufacturing had been supported in Australia but strangely not many retailers complained when manufacturing went off shore. All too happy to buy cheaper chinese goods then.! You collect GST you do not pay it. Which is a pain unfortunately. The amount collected on the under $1000 gst would cost far more that it would return, and I'm not at all happy that my taxes would be used to subsidise retailers who treat me like garbage. It is abundantly clear from thousands of responses in the media that people would still shop online regardless . And with this publicity a lot more of them.

We ARE looking at the big picture and it's not pretty.
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-


BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANCINGDI View Post

I think you are asking that question to divert attention from a lot of your other stuff just doesn't make sense. You seem to be ignoring all the things that Aus business is doing wrong and blaming everything else.

Haven't you been reading?? it's NOT about cheap!! It's about service and availability for a lot of people with price being an added bonus. !! Jobs WILL be created in other areas . We wouldn't have to pay any import if manufacturing had been supported in Australia but strangely not many retailers complained when manufacturing went off shore. All too happy to buy cheaper chinese goods then.! You collect GST you do not pay it. Which is a pain unfortunately. The amount collected on the under $1000 gst would cost far more that it would return, and I'm not at all happy that my taxes would be used to subsidise retailers who treat me like garbage. It is abundantly clear from thousands of responses in the media that people would still shop online regardless . And with this publicity a lot more of them.

We ARE looking at the big picture and it's not pretty.

no I just want an honest answer to my question first, its very simple, yes or no ?

Secondly, how do you see my gripes, are they legitimate facts or do you see them as whinging/complaining ?
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
DANCINGDI +

Registered User

DANCINGDI's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 449
Posts
15,742
No one can give you an honest answer without all the facts, which I'm pretty sure you are not going to supply

Seeing you have now said you are fine, I'd probably have to come down on the whinging side at the moment. Actually I don't see any facts, just statements and questions.
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-


BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588
See below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

whinging/complaining ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

- Why are OS retails given advantage over AUS retail in regards to duties and gst ?
- Everyone thinking ALL retailers are wiping their asses in $100 bills.
- Jobs will go from Aus biggest employers as b&m retail falls over due to more and more internet traffic.
- The world gone crazy on "cheap" without looking at big picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

legitimate facts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

- Aus is priced way too high from import duties to rent prices through to end result at shop floor. We/Aus are priced out of the market.

For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166
of course i'm not going to supply.

so i guess you have answered my 1st gripe as "just too hard", so lets get onto why Aus is priced out of the market.................

markets drive prices, and we're all seeing now the price disparity from OS. I can tell you that 1 product line I buy wholesales for $200, yet the exact same product from the same factory in asia wholesales for $120 in england. Do you know why ?
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Heist9000's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,902
Posts
8,628

Quote:

He also says he has 12 widescreen TVs in his home - but so far he's only ever turned on six of them / Herald Sun

Thank you Herald Sun
DANCINGDI +

Registered User

DANCINGDI's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 449
Posts
15,742
@ hipswinger I'm not getting into any further discussion when I consider your basic premise to be totally wrong.
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-


BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,778
Posts
50,238
Because there are two extra people in line getting a markup?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANCINGDI View Post

@ hipswinger I'm not getting into any further discussion when I consider your basic premise to be totally wrong.

no worries. i guess its hard for you to understand and debate, i'll need to polish my porsche anyway.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Because there are two extra people in line getting a markup?

no, the same supply chain exists there.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
DANCINGDI +

Registered User

DANCINGDI's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 449
Posts
15,742
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-


BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

The world gone crazy on "cheap" without looking at big picture.



That is up there with Gerry Harvey's 'un-Australian' quote, honestly.

It's the retailers that set about the 'cheap' mindset in consumers, wanting to source the cheapest costs themselves but never wanting to pass it on to a consumers - so when the consumer sees what the world market is like in comparison and takes advantage of that, then they're the bad guys who can't grasp the bigger picture?



To answer your question about what cost I'd be happy to pay as a customer, in an example of video games, I'd stop importing if new release pricing was about $80 but I will continue to take my business online when the local retailers charge $100 and I can get it for $60-$70 delivered from overseas.

On a related note, this whole exercise has exposed how much customer service has died in Australia. A lot of the comments I have read, have not just been price related but also been service related. Maybe consumers have had enough of being treated like they should be content with poor service and maybe getting help it big stores shouldn't be like playing IRL Where's Wally.
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post



That is up there with Gerry Harvey's 'un-Australian' quote, honestly.

It's the retailers that set about the 'cheap' mindset in consumers, wanting to source the cheapest costs themselves but never wanting to pass it on to a consumers - so when the consumer sees what the world market is like in comparison and takes advantage of that, then they're the bad guys who can't grasp the bigger picture?



To answer your question about what cost I'd be happy to pay as a customer, in an example of video games, I'd stop importing if new release pricing was about $80 but I will continue to take my business online when the local retailers charge $100 and I can get it for $60-$70 delivered from overseas.

On a related note, this whole exercise has exposed how much customer service has died in Australia. A lot of the comments I have read, have not just been price related but also been service related. Maybe consumers have had enough of being treated like they should be content with poor service and maybe getting help it big stores shouldn't be like playing IRL Where's Wally.

why is it ? are you happy to buy Oz apples at $10 a bag, or OS apples at $3 a bag ?

hey i'm not making out the consumer as the baddie, my issue is with the brands !!
We've been fighting this for 2.5 years with them.

The main issue. Why are the retailers getting so hammered when the vast majority of them are having their prices set by wholesale and expense costs ??
Consumers ARE seeing what they're paying OS without knowing why, wheres the backlash against the brands and wholesalers who are the ones who set the prices, what about landlords who charge per m2 double than OS ?
Those games are wholesaled OS much cheaper than Aus, can you get it !! Why isn't there global pricing ??

My main argument is that Aus is outpriced in all areas, and it can't be sustained in todays age.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

why is it ? are you happy to buy Oz apples at $10 a bag, or OS apples at $3 a bag?

That's not a great example.
It was Australian supermarkets that chose to buy cheaper produce from overseas - Australian consumers had little choice.
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166
bullshit, its the perfect example. They have/had both in their offerring, guess which one sold hand over fist and ended up getting more floorspace ?
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588


You can't be that clueless?

The consumer would never have been exposed to the cheaper price if it wasn't brought in by the supermarkets.

In any event, again, supermarket pricing is not a good example because markups are just as bad.
Go to a Farmers market and see the price markup a supermarket does.

hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166
yeh i must be clueless ! Maybe over 20 years experience isn't enough, I should read more textbooks in a classroom taught by another who reads textbooks ?

So its the retailer who's at fault for offering a cheaper alternative ?
Retailers are the end product, the frontline, maybe before hammering retail solely,have a think about the other bears in the woods, government, wholesalers, shop centres/landlords etc ???

Do you see my point below ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

The main issue. Why are the retailers getting so hammered when the vast majority of them are having their prices set by wholesale and expense costs ??
Consumers ARE seeing what they're paying OS without knowing why, wheres the backlash against the brands and wholesalers who are the ones who set the prices, what about landlords who charge per m2 double than OS ?

heres an example for you...............

Why do, lets say, Nicke set rrp in Australia at $100 a pair, yet in USA they set them at $60 a pair ? If an Aus retailer tries and match the USA price, even if theres no margin there, they are crucified by Nicke by either account cancelled or get games played with them.
But what brand does everyone want ? What is a retailer to do ?
Do you have an answer for that as well ?

As retailers, all we want is a level playing field. Why isn't there global pricing for a global market ?
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

So its the retailer who's at fault for offering a cheaper alternative?

Perhaps they didn't consider the bigger picture?



Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

Retailers are the end product, the frontline, maybe before hammering retail solely,have a think about the other bears in the woods, government, wholesalers, shop centres/landlords etc ?

Is that the consumers concern though?
Why is retail attempting to alter the GST so their outdated business models can run an extra few years?
If the real issue is what you've listed, then why isn't that being addressed by the retailers in the campaign?
It's just the retailers attempting to shut out a format that they can't compete with to force Australians to continue to pay more.
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588
The National Retailers Association aka canon fodder, are joining the campaign.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/small...109-19jt5.html
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
DANCINGDI +

Registered User

DANCINGDI's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 449
Posts
15,742
When are they going to get that they have to look after us !!!!!!!! Your business model isn't working??? CHANGE IT!! It's what good business does. !!!!!!!!! .


Btw Hipswinger, if you meant Nike there your credibility just took a hit
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-


BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

Perhaps they didn't consider the bigger picture?





Is that the consumers concern though?
Why is retail attempting to alter the GST so their outdated business models can run an extra few years?
If the real issue is what you've listed, then why isn't that being addressed by the retailers in the campaign?
It's just the retailers attempting to shut out a format that they can't compete with to force Australians to continue to pay more.

ok i'm starting to get tired of pissing in the wind.
Gerry Harvey and co aren't spokespeople for me or alot of other retailers. In fact I believe they have gone about it in totally the wrong way. But I do agree with them that OS retailing has an advantage over AUS retailing set by the AUS government, and thru the rest of the chain. Like its been mentioned here, a 10% GST will do fck all to discourage consumers to buy oS.

My argument isn't about discouraging buying from OS.
Its about being to run the race starting off the blocks, not 50 feet behind.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANCINGDI View Post

btw Hipswinger, if you meant Nike there your credibility just took a hit

why ?
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

Is that the consumers concern though?

.

no its not, and its why i can't get my point across.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

hipswinger's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 880
Posts
6,166

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANCINGDI View Post

Your business model isn't working??? CHANGE IT!! It's what good business does. !!!!!!!!! .

couldn't agree more.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

dbb618's Avatar
Joined
May '06
Times thanked
< 1,753
Posts
14,861
Media Player
YouTube
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

legal-affairs's Avatar
Joined
Apr '02
Times thanked
< 513
Posts
12,530

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

But I do agree with them that OS retailing has an advantage over AUS retailing set by the AUS government, and thru the rest of the chain. Like its been mentioned here, a 10% GST will do fck all to discourage consumers to buy oS.

Sorry, if the GST is not relevant, what is the advantage "set by the AUS government"?
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
weekender +

Registered User

weekender's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 524
Posts
5,629
I'm seriously struggling to detect a cogent argument/ position in your post Hipswinger. Is it the GST or not that is the problem?

If it's not, then it's a case of supply chain management, which is in the business operator's hands.

I'm not sure what you'd want the Government to do to help traditional business owners?

In many respects it's irrelevant whether the e-tailer is based here or overseas. They have a competitive advantage due to the lower overheads (lack of B&M, lower staff numbers amongst other things). See AppliancesOnline - based in Aus, turning over shitloads and completely unfazed by the furore about GST - for further details.
"Old enough to know better"
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,778
Posts
50,238
I think the main thrust of his argument is that other manufacturers set unrealistic or overpriced wholesale prices for the Australian market and that they have no control over that price. (My argument there would be that I would sell something else, but anyway)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

weekender +

Registered User

weekender's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 524
Posts
5,629
Roger that. So not a tax or governemnt issue, just a business issue.
"Old enough to know better"
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Whitey1981's Avatar
Joined
Jul '05
Times thanked
< 2,406
Posts
16,588
PM appears to back consumers, for now at least.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/gilla...110-19kog.html
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts