The DJ Booth

Auto Sync DJs and being supercreative -

Tools
ravs +

Times thanked
<
Auto Sync DJs and being supercreative -
So I've herd the argument for Autosync and the main one seems to be...

"it enables me to get supercreative and focus on other things as opposed to just mixing tunes"

What are these super creative things you do? Can you please show me some of YOUR super creative mixes and what you have done. Would be cool to get school on the what actually goes down in the Autosync world.

PZ
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Crown Street Cut Collective
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
http://www.district.net.au
ravs +

Times thanked
<
p.s. sorry if this thread has been done before.
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
I can fist pump with both hands
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Jimma +

Times thanked
<
You can turn 2 eq'z down at the same time and then switch them back quickly at the end of the bar more accurately.
dpell +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravs View Post

"it enables me to get supercreative and focus on other things as opposed to just mixing tunes"

What are these super creative things you do? Can you please show me some of YOUR super creative mixes and what you have done. Would be cool to get school on the what actually goes down in the Autosync world.

PZ

I have been asking myself this question for ages. Doesn't make sense to me. When I started DJΓ*ng, we didn't have any effects, autosync, heck, we didn't even have CDJ's. To me, being super creative was mixing on 3 decks, sampling, scratching, track selection, utilising the 1200's to their full potential, beat jugling etc etc
Matty_neal +

Hamburger Phone User

Times thanked
<
There is an opportunity to be more creative but I'm not seeing the extra time in mixes being used, ever.

My housemate bought a Traktor S4, which is awesome but the amount of fucking around with the software and other bits and pieces seem to take up that extra time he saves by autosynching the tracks...
NEW MIX UP!!! --->>VIEW MY MIXES HERE! <<----- Techy/Techno/prog stuff!!!
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Media Player

Skip to 2:08. Hawtin tells you all about it
Matty_neal +

Hamburger Phone User

Times thanked
<
Him, and even deadmau5 are good examples of autosync DJ's that keep things interesting. I haven't seen any locals take advantage of it yet.
ravs +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty_neal View Post

Him, and even deadmau5 are good examples of autosync DJ's that keep things interesting. I haven't seen any locals take advantage of it yet.

I have no idea about Deadmau5 but doesn't he claim not to be a DJ?

Also I have no doubt there are dope DJs who fully explore the opportunites that autosync enables. But I want to see what creative things average club DJs who uses Autosync does. I mean I've herd their argument, but it would be good for them to showcases their creativity. Because quite honestly I haven't seen more than people looping and laying an effect over.

Looping can be done on Vinyl and personally I things it sounds doper because it's more raw.
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
Matty_neal +

Hamburger Phone User

Times thanked
<
He claims not to be a DJ but he plays music to a crowd so, yeah he is. His main point of difference is he only ever plays his original tunes, like band would, I guess. I think that's what he was trying to say anyway.

His sets are all done through ableton and controllers. All his music is all synced that way.

Media Player

watch that if you have the time, it's old but still roughly what he uses now.
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,918 Times in 2,021 Posts
wow, both those vids are batshit boring. deadrat sounds like a c++ programmer
It's over you BASTARDS!
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
They were meant to be interesting? It's just people explaining how they use atuo sync and how they can be more creative with it..
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

PZ

listen to some of surgeon's sets and you'll see

e; that hawtin clip is pretty great! i.e. allowing the computer to do one thing so you have time to do something else. very nice! although there were days when he played all vinyl on 3-4 decks and still had an EFX and a fkn 909 with him hehe.
β”ŒΠŸβ”(β–Ί_β—„)β”ŒΠŸβ”

Last edited by Spicy: 04-Jan-11 at 12:50pm

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty_neal View Post

He claims not to be a DJ but he plays music to a crowd so, yeah he is. His main point of difference is he only ever plays his original tunes, like band would, I guess. I think that's what he was trying to say anyway.

His sets are all done through ableton and controllers. All his music is all synced that way.

So he saves all this time by sync'ing, limits himself to only play his own tracks, and STILL sucks so much ass because he can't program a set to save himself? Awesome
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
i abuse looping more than autosync ... i still insist on manual beat matching. f

i'm more inclined to punch in loops on the fly. I seldom use preset hit points/loops unless i have a particular mix/trick i want to pull off with minimal hassle. I generally use it when i want to get deeper into a mix or work with a groove rather than be restricted to the brief transition otherwise possible.

As far as FX go ... very light on with these ... i'm working out how to use ye' olde' beatmasher at the moment ... there's some serious fukked up fun to be had with that number!!
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
ravs +

Times thanked
<
So who are the DJs on these forums that use/champion AUtosync? I want to see their superdooper creative next level mixes.
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
hehe ravs there is a mix on my soundcloud in which i used 4 decks. can't really do that without traktor (cos i don't have the mad skillz, or 4 decks). unfortunately the only effect i managed to assign on each deck is the xone 92 filter. anyway, some of it i manually matched, but if time's running out i just push the auto sync button. there are loads of loops and at least 2 things running at the same time all though out with extra sounds or part of another track.

don't hold your breath though if you end up listening. i've got long way to go to reach the richie hawtin crazy effects with 2 laptops level
ccombe +

hmm soo much blue...

Times thanked
<
Defined By Rhythm uses 4 decks with Traktor and auto-sync as a result of his controller...

I have used auto-sync in the past but depends on the midi controller I have at hand, once had a gig with a tiny micro korg type thing which left me no choice but to be honest I don't care who uses what as long as it sounds good and your having fun doing it.

people spend way to much time making comments about other peoples gear, tools, etc.. purists will be purists until they are Luddites and then eventually they move on and love all the new shit thats out there.. DJTechtools is a great resource if your interested in learning more about midi controllers and "digital DJing", lots of open honest articles about different things from technology to technique to getting your first gig etc..

I always used digital cause I couldn't afford decks at the time and was living with my parents for a period, so I bought a cheap midi controller, hooked it up to my laptop and taught myself to mix in my head phones.. I then taught myself to use CDJs when I moved in with a mate who had decks..

Now I have the S4 and love it, no need for a mixer of CDJs, I just hook it up to my laptop, sound system and I get on with it... not sure how practical it will be taking it to gigs though until I find a good bag to carry it in, the flight case is just plain stupid.. BAck on point, I now like to play with 4 decks myself and make on the fly cue points and do stuff with looping and effects.. I am even starting to look at sampling as well and introducing some of my own productions into the mix so it really opens up a lot of doors for me and makes things more fun then mixing A > B > A, but thats a personal preference..

I wouldn't say one is better then the other but I would say you have a lot more options to use and perhaps this over complicates the art of being a DJ, and ruins song selection, crate digging etc...

I would also recommend checking out Chris Liebing and SpeedyJ, Ean Golden has some crazy videos and plenty more on you tube...

no up coming gigs - I am in Singapore behaving myself..
-
Pulse Radio
Mixes + Production Updated - 2010-09-01
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
saw a great autosync set on the weekend;

tracks coming to an end, loop, effect, white noise, drop bass in of new track, repeat for every track

awesome

Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
Unless there's stems cued up the whole thing is a bigger crock of shit than peter hook.
Cats who use it to straight mix tunes know they're fucking up, Durrs fear in dem eyes durr boi.

You don't need a 100 record trolley for your fucking laptop either
and what the fuck do you keep doing with the headphones when the auto synced waveforms are telling you that kick is landing on this kick?
People can tell you're the dj already, no need to cock you're head five times a tune..or are these things the aforementioned creativity auto sync gives you the time to pursue?
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Ask Dance Floor Terrorism how awesome auto sync is.. they seem to be getting plenty of recognition for autosyncing or pre-recorded sets.
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
P + Pos + T + BPM + I S = Recognition

Where;

P - Pitch
Pos –the percentage of positive lyrics
T - Tonality
BPM – Images and memories associated with the music
IS – Serotonin level

Alternatively you can open the cutoff of a filter ridden saw on the off beats, throw in a monotone vocal talking about something related to pop culture and hand bag your way there
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub View Post

i abuse looping more than autosync ... i still insist on manual beat matching. f

i'm more inclined to punch in loops on the fly. I seldom use preset hit points/loops unless i have a particular mix/trick i want to pull off with minimal hassle. I generally use it when i want to get deeper into a mix or work with a groove rather than be restricted to the brief transition otherwise possible.

As far as FX go ... very light on with these ... i'm working out how to use ye' olde' beatmasher at the moment ... there's some serious fukked up fun to be had with that number!!

Ditto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

So who are the DJs on these forums that use/champion AUtosync? I want to see their superdooper creative next level mixes.

paging jarredscott to the thread, he can autosync and lemur his sister with one hand
bressos +

save your scrap for Victory!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign View Post

P + Pos + T + BPM + I S = Recognition

Where;

P - Pitch
Pos –the percentage of positive lyrics
T - Tonality
BPM – Images and memories associated with the music
IS – Serotonin level

Alternatively you can open the cutoff of a filter ridden saw on the off beats, throw in a monotone vocal talking about something related to pop culture and hand bag your way there

and then 2 girls kissed ?
Radic +

Times thanked
<
i remember when i first found out dj's were getting 2 pieces of vinyl and matching the timing and mixing tunes and all that stuff i couldn't believe it. I thought it was fkn awesome and cool as fuk. Listening to some dj's mix vinyl back in the day like beyer, dave the drummer, ben sims or whoever and they were so tight it just blew my mind. Dj's beat mixing tracks live was a magical ingredient to the whole experience of going out and seeing a rockin dj.

Today i just can't believe auto sync tracks or whatever u call it, i can't believe it exists and it's really taken a lot of the magic away from it all now. Spewin
Soundcloud
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radic View Post

i remember when i first found out dj's were getting 2 pieces of vinyl and matching the timing and mixing tunes and all that stuff i couldn't believe it. I thought it was fkn awesome and cool as fuk. Listening to some dj's mix vinyl back in the day like beyer, dave the drummer, ben sims or whoever and they were so tight it just blew my mind. Dj's beat mixing tracks live was a magical ingredient to the whole experience of going out and seeing a rockin dj.

Today i just can't believe auto sync tracks or whatever u call it, i can't believe it exists and it's really taken a lot of the magic away from it all now. Spewin

same for me
funk you
truba +

Times thanked
<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFnQt...eature=related
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
i'm amused by the fact he takes such care to put 12"s back in their sleeves ... i'm be just throwing them down and pulling out the next one if doing quick mixes like that for a bit. kudos on several points

funkedub dot com

truba +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub View Post

i'm amused by the fact he takes such care to put 12"s back in their sleeves ... i'm be just throwing them down and pulling out the next one if doing quick mixes like that for a bit. kudos on several points

haha, man i learned to put my records back into sleeves, no matter how fast i mix

i guess you would be something like this heeh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GArvmdKgoZs
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
yes ...

funkedub dot com

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by truba View Post

haha, man i learned to put my records back into sleeves, no matter how fast i mix

i guess you would be something like this heeh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GArvmdKgoZs

hahaha oh no!

bonus points for nerd richie pic, and derrick may saying the first time he met richie was hilarious.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

hahaha oh no!

bonus points for nerd richie pic, and derrick may saying the first time he met richie was hilarious.

watch the richie documentary, nerd pics and vids a plenty, good docu too...
Tech-One
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
<
Hey lets take a track a producer spent weeks creating, hotcue it, autocue it, loop the bejesus out of it and add some filters.

Nowadays a great tune doesn't see the light of day the way it was meant to be played.... in its entirety
It's over you BASTARDS!
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
most of the tunes lately are shit. Maybe they need to be chopped up?
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
<
I dont know about mp3's as I havent bought of beatport in years... but not the ones on vinyl mate. As they prob got through a very strict vetting process by record company bosses. Unlike beatports 'upload shit mp3' button
It's over you BASTARDS!
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
vinyl has the highest good tune ratio out of all the formats. Still, the last 12-18 months has been slim pickings for quality music regardless of format.
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
I think a bigger issue is not how a track is mixed, but actually what is mixed. The amount of 'DJs' I see/hear that just mix the beatport top 10 or tracks from the lastest MOS Annual- might as well just chuck on a CD! Track selection is still the most important role of a DJ (let's remember that we really are just glorified jukeboxes when it comes down to it!).

Some of the best gigs I've seen have had a DJ with just a laptop and a novation launchpad, but the tracks they used and the unpredictable order and the actual drive of the set has been fantastic.

I'm so over this laptop vs CDs vs Vinyl war- much more concerned with lads on the decks who don't know their tunes!
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
only digital djs get bored with such arguments

do you have a technics sticker on your cd case?
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalgrub View Post

I'm so over this laptop vs CDs vs Vinyl war- much more concerned with lads on the decks who don't know their tunes!

this

abstract electronica and drone. lights off, cans on, freak out...
truba +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4 View Post

Still, the last 12-18 months has been slim pickings for quality music regardless of format.

speak for yourself man, theres that much quality out there i reckon i could go bankrupt in a week if given a chance lol, maybe you should try searching for some new stores/dl sites, i limited myself to 5 records a week and i tellsya if it wasnt for the missus i'd prolly spend everything i got on records
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
If it doesn't stack up to whats in my crate, I don't buy it. I used to buy 4 or 5 records on a weekly basis, for quite a few years.
Rarely buy more than 1 -2 a month lately, and they aren't always new releases.
ravs +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalgrub View Post

I think a bigger issue is not how a track is mixed, but actually what is mixed. The amount of 'DJs' I see/hear that just mix the beatport top 10 or tracks from the lastest MOS Annual- might as well just chuck on a CD! Track selection is still the most important role of a DJ (let's remember that we really are just glorified jukeboxes when it comes down to it!).

Some of the best gigs I've seen have had a DJ with just a laptop and a novation launchpad, but the tracks they used and the unpredictable order and the actual drive of the set has been fantastic.

The point I was making isn't so much digital vs vinyl. I mean I've started to use Serato too.

The point I'm trying to make is DJs who use autosync as a function and say it enables them to be super creative and do awesome things in their mixes, I want to see it. It would be cool if they could me the awesome thing THEY are doing.

Because quite frankly I really haven't seen people do anything more than loop tunes and lay an effect over it.
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Because quite frankly I really haven't seen people do anything more than loop tunes and lay an effect over it.

and you're saying that's NOT creative?!?!?

you're a hard man to please...

abstract electronica and drone. lights off, cans on, freak out...
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
Yeah, thats true ravs, auto-sync is exactly that,it just syncs the track automatically but that saved time really isn't used creatively most of the time. I saw a DJ in a random club in manchester who was doing these really tight, quick mixes though with accapallas and drum loops and I reckon he wouldn't have been able to have the four going at once with the constant changes without the autosync though! But yeah, pretty rare to see- should just admit that they want to have the beats matched perfectly with minimal to no effort!
truba +

Times thanked
<
i'm a vinyl purist but this shit is pretty fuckin impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxYHuZrg1ms
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
I dunno truba, I was way more impressed with the parker vid than this.

Seems like BT had a beat gridded copy of September, which he mixed with an elite force track. Pressed effects a few times, put a drum roll in, then mixed in another breaks track towards the end. Decent still. Didn't sound very cohesive either to me.
truba +

Times thanked
<
yeah i agree with ya there, TP is just fuckin awesome, fucker can do pretty much anything ableton can lol
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
Definitely one of the things that really grinds my gears to be honest. Just waiting for someone to suggest that just because the technology is there, it's there to be used. What about the sense of accomplishment people?
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
dudes! the end result of any set should be a happy crowd enjoying THE MUSIC. it doesn't matter what the DJ does. instead they should concentrate on how they can improve their set in any possible way. for some this is learning how to scratch and beat juggle. for others it means learning how to use DVS or live.

the DJ who's better will get a big cheer from the crowd and a grooving dancefloor, regardless of whether they use vinyl or software.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »