The DJ Booth

Auto Sync DJs and being supercreative -

Tools
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
<
Ben Sims can mix on three decks manually. If you can't and you use sync, you are not as talented as him. End of story.

(I will happily admit I am not as talented as him - but as I said in the other thread, I also don't use multiple decks with Traktor particularly often due to the fact I don't like that you can't control decks 3 and 4 with CDJ/turntable, you have to use the internal sync mode and it kinda defeats the purpose of doing a rad 3 deck mix IMO. Only do it here and there if I have a booty techno loop I especially want to play underneath another track)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

If that's all you do sure, but what if you're mixing multiple tracks, adding effects, throwing in vocals and synth lines, remixing on the fly, playing an instrument, and many other things?

It's the end result that counts.

I would say most DVS users are doing none of the above.
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
The end result does count, sure. But you also need to appreciate the art and craft of what is a live performance.

If the end result is the only thing that's important, then you may as well just throw a quality mix CD on and get rid of the DJ altogether.
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts
That's not live then. I might as well not go to the club and just listen to that CD at home.

Some of you need to stop throwing out strawman arguments. We went through this type of whining during the vinyl to CD move, and then again from CD to laptop. It's an endless discussion about nothing. Innovators find a way forward and do what they are supposed to, have fun and entertain the crowd. The others just complain and then attempt to play catch up while talking shit about the latest development in live performance.

I am in no way saying auto-sync users are "innovators", don't get me wrong, but I'm not going to attack people if they have a legitimate reason to sometimes use it.
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
<
I think we should be all happy now that it takes two days to learn to DJ. Now everyone can focus on how many facebook friends they have cos that's what DJing is about isn't it!!!
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

That's not live then. I might as well not go to the club and just listen to that CD at home.

That's exactly my point, not sure if you're disagreeing with me or not tbh...
puretrance89 +

Times thanked
<
mmm interesting discussion.

i have only started mixing music recently on cdj 200's and a pretty basic mixer with no bpm reader on the mixer (i am a poor uni student).
i am still a beginner but i enjoy the simple art of beatmatching more than anything else, every successful mix i feel proud doing knowing i am not cheating while appreciating and understanding the music i love more - but hey i am still pretty shit and not experienced in effects at all. i just love the buzz i get from creating this flow of music that was never there before
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

BPM, not Tempo (as in Pitch Percentage), doofus...all I see s a lil box with 125 BPM...no decimal places here, move along folks!

ohhhh yeah, duurrr! :facepalm: hahah
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Some of you need to stop throwing out strawman arguments. We went through this type of whining during the vinyl to CD move, and then again from CD to laptop. It's an endless discussion about nothing. Innovators find a way forward and do what they are supposed to, have fun and entertain the crowd. The others just complain and then attempt to play catch up while talking shit about the latest development in live performance.

fuckin A! but at the end of the day, there's some pretty good banter going on, so whatever!

respect to the vinyl peeps for "keeping it real", respect to the autosync/loop/sample choppers for innovation, and no respect to shit ****s who autosync just to mix two tracks together. damn right!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
ashtecdj +

dead.

Times thanked
<
i only got traktor so that i could play timecode vinyl as i cbf spending money on LPs..

rest of the time, i still burn tracks off beatport/traxsource/juno etc to CD and play on the CDJs... just a lot easier to go to a club with CDs and not have to worry about hooking up a laptop and all that bullshit to DJ. i can't believe how lazy we have become that we don't even have enough time to burn some CDs to play... ffs.
Ash Parajuli (progressive + tech house)

Facebook
Soundcloud
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtecdj View Post

i only got traktor so that i could play timecode vinyl as i cbf spending money on LPs..

rest of the time, i still burn tracks off beatport/traxsource/juno etc to CD and play on the CDJs... just a lot easier to go to a club with CDs and not have to worry about hooking up a laptop and all that bullshit to DJ. i can't believe how lazy we have become that we don't even have enough time to burn some CDs to play... ffs.

The alternative is some of us have become so busy we don't have time to continuously burn CDs/keep our collection ordered in a certain way and it's much more efficient using Traktor and achieving the same goal.

I remember when I used to burn CDs I probably spent more time burning CDs, labelling them, ordering them by genre/date etc than I did actually mixing and learning my tunes. Since getting Traktor I take about 20 minutes to download everything from Beatport, 10 minutes to analyse the ID3 tags/waveforms etc, and then about 10 minutes putting tunes in various playlists by genre.

It gives me much more time to spend on actually mixing and learning my music better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

fuckin A! but at the end of the day, there's some pretty good banter going on, so whatever!

respect to the vinyl peeps for "keeping it real", respect to the autosync/loop/sample choppers for innovation, and no respect to shit ****s who autosync just to mix two tracks together. damn right!

Exactly. It's just those autosync cheaters that are grinding my gears!
Mooso +

Times thanked
<
I don't really get what all the angst is about. DJing/Producing/whatever has become such a competition about who uses what gear, what genre is cool, what clubs are "underground" enough etc. Whatever happened to when, if you weren't that into something, you just ignored it or avoided it? Honestly, if you're going to a club and you're gettin bent out of shape because someone is auto-syncing their tracks or playing something from Beatport, i think you're kinda missing the point.
To be honest, the majority of this thread seems to be people trying to justify their methods and they way they DJ, which can be easily done by writing off everyone else's approach.
ravs +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

This!

But it's amazing how many Djs out there who get regular slots actually are the shit cvnts.
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Crown Street Cut Collective
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
http://www.district.net.au
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravs View Post

But it's amazing how many Djs out there who get regular slots actually are the shit cvnts.

not exactly a new phenomenon. wack dj's have been getting gigs since time began

abstract electronica and drone. lights off, cans on, freak out...
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooso View Post

I don't really get what all the angst is about. DJing/Producing/whatever has become such a competition about who uses what gear, what genre is cool, what clubs are "underground" enough etc. Whatever happened to when, if you weren't that into something, you just ignored it or avoided it? Honestly, if you're going to a club and you're gettin bent out of shape because someone is auto-syncing their tracks or playing something from Beatport, i think you're kinda missing the point.
To be honest, the majority of this thread seems to be people trying to justify their methods and they way they DJ, which can be easily done by writing off everyone else's approach.

shit post, learn to paragraph
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
^
puretrance89 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooso View Post

bit confused by what you are saying.
Underdog +

meh

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlv View Post

I think we should be all happy now that it takes two days to learn to DJ. Now everyone can focus on how many facebook friends they have cos that's what DJing is about isn't it!!!

apologies if this has already been posted before elsewhere but this brings the LOLS

http://woo-ha.blogspot.com/2010/12/wannabe-dj.html
NEVER MIND THE BALEARICS! TROPICAL DISCO AND BEYOND!, BACK REAL SOON - SIGN UP HERE
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
^ haha that is fucking gold.. so damn true as well. I remember when I use to play out a few guys who DJ'd at one of the nights I did was amazed that I had CDJ100s at home and asked how I beat match without BPM counters
zsmiles +

Times thanked
<
I've only just recently started mixing and never NOT used autosync, although i respect those who don't use autosync, i believe it benefits my sets A LOT. Just because I'm able to constantly have 4 tracks going at once, while fucking around with the effects. On my average set I'll put about an hour to 2 hours per song, just making sure everything is right, having some really good backing tracks, and just making sure I know where to put my gains in and out and my effects.
But whatever, all that matters is the end product - take a listen to one of my sets and tell me what you think. It's actually gotten to the point where if you don't play multiple songs at once, with techno especially, your sets are rather bland and boring, but w/e, my opinion:

I would say listen to about 21 minute for when ever, I think that's about my best part of the set, it has 3 tunes going at once and me beat jumping quite a bit with one of them and sticking them in loops to line them up perfectly for particular moments, anyways, tell me what you think, the next song it goes into uses 4 songs but sounds a bit crowded imo.

this one, maybe try 38 minutes - 43 minutes, there's about 6 songs mixed into that 4 minutes

MOST IMPORTANT PART: My point is not how to mix more songs in at once or cram as many effects as possible. A lot of you have missed the point. It doesn't matter what equipment you use at all. If a world class dj played an auto sync set, you won't say "He was good, but he used autosync." You'll just be happy with the music. Do what ever, don't limit yourself by claiming to be a purest, or anti-purest. It doesn't matter. How about we focus on the music and not how it was created.

Last edited by zsmiles: 15-Jan-11 at 11:38am

macc4 +

Times thanked
<
your autosync requires calibration
zsmiles +

Times thanked
<
which part?
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsmiles View Post

It's actually gotten to the point where if you don't play multiple songs at once, with techno especially, your sets are rather bland and boring, but w/e, my opinion:

dont play shit music, problem solved
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

apologies if this has already been posted before elsewhere but this brings the LOLS

http://woo-ha.blogspot.com/2010/12/wannabe-dj.html

man some of the stuff he says is gold!

"i'm going to take my hard drive and shove it so far up your ass that when you take a shit you'll hear dj stickem samples and a fucking air horn"
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
The whole part.

p.s nothing seems so amazing about those mixes that beat matching couldn't do..

Last edited by Bumpy: 15-Jan-11 at 08:47pm

Eros le Tardfack +

lol at teh you

Times thanked
<

Quote:

On my average set I'll put about an hour to 2 hours per song, just making sure everything is right, having some really good backing tracks, and just making sure I know where to put my gains in and out and my effects.

this is the essence of what's wrong with instant djs. you haven't spend time learning the craft, nor the terminology, and you sound stupid as a result.

i can understand a n00b calling tracks "songs", but backing tracks? gains in and out?

apologies if english is your second language.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidgetgod

hey there i set a fourm up to post links too songs of fidget house message me for the link

i need moderators admins and just plain members ill trust onley some people to be admins and mods so please join my forum mutch appereciated fidget god

Last edited by Eros le Tardfack: 15-Jan-11 at 11:16pm

macc4 +

Times thanked
<
look mum, no hands

how many songs even go for an hour or two?
puretrance89 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

MOST IMPORTANT PART: My point is not how to mix more songs in at once or cram as many effects as possible. A lot of you have missed the point. It doesn't matter what equipment you use at all. If a world class dj played an auto sync set, you won't say "He was good, but he used autosync." You'll just be happy with the music. Do what ever, don't limit yourself by claiming to be a purest, or anti-purest. It doesn't matter. How about we focus on the music and not how it was created.

thats not the purpose of this thread though - there are plenty of others to focus on the music - regardless of your view on auto syncing. as for a "song" going for an hour or two?
Eros le Tardfack +

lol at teh you

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If a world class dj played an auto sync set, you won't say "He was good, but he used autosync." You'll just be happy with the music.

nonsense.

mistabishi (dnb producer and "dj") got busted for playing a pre mixed cd as his "set" at fabric and got his arse handed to him by all and sundry. it's the same principle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidgetgod

hey there i set a fourm up to post links too songs of fidget house message me for the link

i need moderators admins and just plain members ill trust onley some people to be admins and mods so please join my forum mutch appereciated fidget god

zsmiles +

Times thanked
<
To clarify: I'm meant an hour to 2 hours of EFFORT per song, my bad.

Anyways, knowledge gained without reason, cannot be argued against with reason
Oprah Winfrey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radic View Post

i remember when i first found out dj's were getting 2 pieces of vinyl and matching the timing and mixing tunes and all that stuff i couldn't believe it. I thought it was fkn awesome and cool as fuk. Listening to some dj's mix vinyl back in the day like beyer, dave the drummer, ben sims or whoever and they were so tight it just blew my mind. Dj's beat mixing tracks live was a magical ingredient to the whole experience of going out and seeing a rockin dj.

Today i just can't believe auto sync tracks or whatever u call it, i can't believe it exists and it's really taken a lot of the magic away from it all now. Spewin

Im amazed there is even a debate about autosync, just goes to show how "out of sync" the whole dj'ing community is, with the actual art of dj'ing.

although I blame cdj's for this mess, not DVS's or autosync.

DVS (serato(no autosync) = Fairenough, access to tunes, visual aid when you cant hear shit, still vinyl, still skillful.
Monkey Jukeboxes (cdj's) = monkey Buttons. bpm readers, no drift, no hands on, no skill or finesse required, enabling those with no wish to perfect an artform, or talent to bring to the table? just wanted a cool image? (dick jockeys) ruined dj'ing and everything it was about

there. a slice of my vent for you cdgays to feel threatend by and attempt to defend your sad little act you call mixing.

hhehe that oughta boost the thread a little
General Maverick

Last edited by Oprah Winfrey: 16-Jan-11 at 03:04am

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

I've only just recently started mixing and never NOT used autosync, although i respect those who don't use autosync, i believe it benefits my sets A LOT. Just because I'm able to constantly have 4 tracks going at once, while fucking around with the effects. On my average set I'll put about an hour to 2 hours per song, just making sure everything is right, having some really good backing tracks, and just making sure I know where to put my gains in and out and my effects.

Do what ever, don't limit yourself by claiming to be a purest, or anti-purest. It doesn't matter. How about we focus on the music and not how it was created.

Yes, we focus on the music ... but some of us also focus on developing a skill set . One of the tools in you kit of skills should be the ability to pull out any tune at any time and find a way of making a coherent mix from another track. Being a slave to autosync won't help with developing this skills ... hence your skillset will be lacking compared with those who don't resort to or use autosync.

In pre-planning and plotting exactly what to mix and/or EQ and/or flange/phase/filter etc etc etc you are painting yourself into a corner.

DJs are forgetting that you don't have to beat match every fukking track.

Technology aside, one of my pet peeves with fresh DJs is the limited scope of their track selection and their flexibility in piecing sets/mixes together.

More impressive than having 4 tracks running is knowing precisely when and how to drop which particular track whilst reading the crowd. This basic instinctual skill is being eclipsed by the penchant for sets with a narrow BPM range and beige genre adventures. Even though this is the score, it doesn't compute for me considering that with digital tracks it's so so stupidly easier and cheaper to develop a digital collection over vinyl.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack View Post

nonsense.

mistabishi (dnb producer and "dj") got busted for playing a pre mixed cd as his "set" at fabric and got his arse handed to him by all and sundry. it's the same principle.

ok ... so he cheated at mixing ... let's hope he's not cheating with production ...

Media Player

funkedub dot com

twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
I think it's important to add loops and samples to tracks that were created from loops and samples.
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

Monkey Jukeboxes (cdj's) = monkey Buttons. bpm readers, no drift, no hands on, no skill or finesse required, enabling those with no wish to perfect an artform, or talent to bring to the table? just wanted a cool image? (dick jockeys) ruined dj'ing and everything it was about

Maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and realise not all CDJs have BPM counters.. also that those who are able to play sets without the beat slipping much wouldn't use the BPM counters anyway because they aren't accurate.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
I like it when cd dj's get all defensive about their own brand of cheating
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4 View Post

I also play vinyl. I just don't understad people claim cdj djing to be "cheating."

I agree BPM counters are a load of shit, and I don't use them nor do I believe people should. Just like auto sync.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
it's a similar scenario to autosync dj's not understanding why people claim they are cheating
bressos +

save your scrap for Victory!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

man some of the stuff he says is gold!

"i'm going to take my hard drive and shove it so far up your ass that when you take a shit you'll hear dj stickem samples and a fucking air horn"

man thats gold material ur spraying there
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<

Quote:

it's a similar scenario to autosync dj's not understanding why people claim they are cheating

Feel free to elaborate.
Tristan W +

Times thanked
<
I also find it weird not using a simple obvious tool like bpm counters when helpful just to make your ego feel better. It's like random dvs users shutting there laptop screen while they mix just so they feel more awesome.
Just get your beats matched however you get there, use your headphones and frickin mix.
Tristan W +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ok ... so he cheated at mixing ... let's hope he's not cheating with production ...

Not completely true Funkedub, with printer jam apparently the printer sounds were not recorded by Mistabishi. They come from an old Flextone (Atom Heart) track called "Printer" (released on Rather Interesting in 1994). I read that somewhere on the interwebs
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

There's no way CDJs are anywhere near being in the same league of cheating as DVS autosync users...
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
i think the use of the word "cheating" is detracting from what i consider the main issue.

As i said previously, it's about developing a set of skills. Some of this technology replaces the need to master those skills. But what this thread was initially about : now those skills aren't required, what skills are they mastering, developing and practicing instead?

funkedub dot com

deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
^
Fair point indeed.
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub View Post

DJs are forgetting that you don't have to beat match every fukking track.

This!!!
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
http://soundcloud.com/afrowhitie
stepchild +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by djanthonykirby View Post

NI should delete the Sync function from the S4 and all software

That way, at least you still have to beatmatch properly and retain some old school feel to the whole DJ experience.

Its just too easy otherwise, and even a complete retard could knock out a mix.

ok, how about instead of deleting the autosync function, we make it an 'unlockable' function, ie, if you can demonstrate you can beatmatch on vinyl (or cds if you wish) competently, then the function becomes usable.

then when you see someone using autosync you can give them the 'ahh, you can beatmatch' nod

however, if you then start using autosync, for the function to remain usable, you have to be 'supercreative' and do all those things that have been alluded to in this post but not really explained in detail. if you just play record after record with autosync, it gets turned off.

actually, just delete it
stepchild +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

It's actually gotten to the point where if you don't play multiple songs at once, with techno especially, your sets are rather bland and boring, but w/e, my opinion:

dude, what and who are you listening to that makes you think this?!
Oprah Winfrey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

Maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and realise not all CDJs have BPM counters.. also that those who are able to play sets without the beat slipping much wouldn't use the BPM counters anyway because they aren't accurate.

Mate were talking about the "industry standard" here, I dont know what cdgay's your using but in cdgay world if they aint pioneer they aint worth it, right? right? lol p.s you dont know slipping
General Maverick

« Previous Thread Next Thread »