The DJ Booth

Auto Sync DJs and being supercreative -

Reply
  Tools
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaydee View Post

There's no way CDJs are anywhere near being in the same league of cheating as DVS autosync users...

I dont disagree,its even worse if they are DVS autosync dj's, especially when they combine forces and use both together cdj+dvs=

CDj;s just started the revolution of the untalented Dj.

I will however state that in using serato it is very possible to use it simply use it for your library access/hide screen/plus it doesnt have an autosync feature.
General Maverick
johnbiggs +

You need to wake up, to sound of the hens

johnbiggs's Avatar
Joined
Mar '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3
Thanked 441 Times in 158 Posts
Posts
2,571
the other thing these auto syncers do is have no concept of music structure so sure they beatmatched perfect but mix still sound like dog after playing in mud
I am reporting people who call me marshy or another name you have been warn
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbiggs View Post

the other thing these auto syncers do is have no concept of music structure so sure they beatmatched perfect but mix still sound like dog after playing in mud

hahaha excellent!
General Maverick
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post


I will however state that in using serato it is very possible to use it simply use it for your library access/hide screen/plus it doesnt have an autosync feature.

No but it has visual aids to help you match the beats.. fuck you could even just use the aids on screen to match and not even use headphones.


So you've gone from bagging CDJs because they are "cheating" to using a DVS system that you can beatmatch without any skill. well done
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

macc4's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 401
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
Posts
12,412

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

Feel free to elaborate.

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

Just like auto sync.

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4 View Post

it's a similar scenario to autosync dj's not understanding why people claim they are cheating

it seems we said similar things, why do you need elaboration?
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

No but it has visual aids to help you match the beats.. fuck you could even just use the aids on screen to match and not even use headphones.


So you've gone from bagging CDJs because they are "cheating" to using a DVS system that you can beatmatch without any skill. well done

I see your Dp may actually represent you my Friend.

My comment stated that serato can be used Purely for library access. AS IT HAS THE ABILITY TO HIDE THE SCREEN AND NOT HAVE THE WAVE FORMS UP WHAT SO EVER (this is how I use it) as do alot of Turntablists and DJs around the globe.
I was stating that having the waveforms there IF you need them is good Incase you have shit booth output or can't monitor(cue) your track properly

But obviously reading is not a strong point of yours now is it mate
General Maverick
shaunmc123 +

Registered User

Joined
Oct '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravs View Post

So I've herd the argument for Autosync and the main one seems to be...

"it enables me to get supercreative and focus on other things as opposed to just mixing tunes"

What are these super creative things you do? Can you please show me some of YOUR super creative mixes and what you have done. Would be cool to get school on the what actually goes down in the Autosync world.

PZ




Getting back to the original post - i ve also wondered this in recent years.

I have always played vinyl and have your standard turntables/mixer set up....but im by no means a snob or a purist.

Ive been intrigued by traktor etcetc programs and the possibilities of auto beat matching to then "focusing on other things".

Editing tracks on the fly etcetc sounds cool but ive always wondering how far can this "editing on the fly" be taken? and how many djs do it?

Do these djs actually edit live or have they spent hours in front of their pc beforehand editing tracks together?

What sparked my interest was richie hawtin maida vale 2004 set. - was this set done using this serato (or something similar?) or i am way off track?? it sounded pretty good at the time and i thought it was using technology to push things forward.

has technology since pushed things on beyond the fx / edits created in this set?

someone enlighten me
Skerik +

naff

Skerik's Avatar
Joined
Nov '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 356
Thanked 245 Times in 129 Posts
Posts
2,165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

No but it has visual aids to help you match the beats.. fuck you could even just use the aids on screen to match and not even use headphones.


I once left my headphones at home and had to play the whole night going off the lights on the mixer... and this was long before digital setups (with their wav form readouts) came along too

i don't recommend it - it's possible, but god it's hard
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

I see your Dp may actually represent you my Friend.

My comment stated that serato can be used Purely for library access. AS IT HAS THE ABILITY TO HIDE THE SCREEN AND NOT HAVE THE WAVE FORMS UP WHAT SO EVER (this is how I use it) as do alot of Turntablists and DJs around the globe.
I was stating that having the waveforms there IF you need them is good Incase you have shit booth output or can't monitor(cue) your track properly

But obviously reading is not a strong point of yours now is it mate

That's me mate lost me toof that day, was a shame.

All in all I think you need to get with the fucking times. BPM counters aren't even accurate, nor is sync. If you want a polished set you need to manually beatmatch. I just think its pretty fucked and narrow minded that you'd come out and say all DJs who use CDJs must use BPM counters an cannot beatmatch with their ears. You also said that " I dont know what cdgay's your using but in cdgay world if they aint pioneer they aint worth it, right? right?" Does that mean that all Pioneer CDJs are the industry standard and they all have a BPM counter? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe my Pioneer CDJ 100s do not have BPM counters..
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

That's me mate lost me toof that day, was a shame.

All in all I think you need to get with the fucking times. BPM counters aren't even accurate, nor is sync. If you want a polished set you need to manually beatmatch. I just think its pretty fucked and narrow minded that you'd come out and say all DJs who use CDJs must use BPM counters an cannot beatmatch with their ears. You also said that " I dont know what cdgay's your using but in cdgay world if they aint pioneer they aint worth it, right? right?" Does that mean that all Pioneer CDJs are the industry standard and they all have a BPM counter? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe my Pioneer CDJ 100s do not have BPM counters..

........allow me to retort. alas for your missing tooth. If you want a polished set, you need alot more than to "manually beatmatch".
All DJ's who prefer cdj's choose them because they are easy, no skipping, no slight of hand, Bpm readers etc. I have been using TURNTABLES since I started Mixing and scratching years ago. for me watching the doosh bags that step up to Dj after me so they can shame the art that I chose to practice BECAUSE I LOVE IT, no image attached. I have nothing against cdj's... they're good for beach parties...(dont care if they get covered in salt/sand) and for idiots to allow them selves to say that they dj. it is alot more than mixing, bpm counters, and autosync my friend and alot of the guys on here, and "out there" know this.
but all of the above has helped to take away the skill and talent of yet another amazing art. CDJ'S for the true DJ, are like the guitar hero for a talented guitarist. just cause you can press some buttons and make some noise. doesnt make you anything special. regardless what your mum will tell you..
I can beatmatch a pair of tunes on cdj's in less than 10 seconds, your tunes at that, shit I dont even know.
yet Im sure I put you or any SEEDEEJAY behinds a pair of turntables with your OWN tunes and you would let the track run out and still not have matched it. (with a confused and worried look on your face) and thats just element of beatmatching in the art of DJing.

as for gettin with the times, Pretty sure you
wont find a pair of dinosaur cdj 100's in a club or stage anywhere mate, when you get to either one, try requesting a pair. and then let me know of the response monkey man.

p.s Im done, sorry for My
out bursts people I should know better than to react to the trap I set.
General Maverick
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

........allow me to retort. alas for your missing tooth. If you want a polished set, you need alot more than to "manually beatmatch".
All DJ's who prefer cdj's choose them because they are easy, no skipping, no slight of hand, Bpm readers etc. I have been using TURNTABLES since I started Mixing and scratching years ago. for me watching the doosh bags that step up to Dj after me so they can shame the art that I chose to practice BECAUSE I LOVE IT, no image attached. I have nothing against cdj's... they're good for beach parties...(dont care if they get covered in salt/sand) and for idiots to allow them selves to say that they dj. it is alot more than mixing, bpm counters, and autosync my friend and alot of the guys on here, and "out there" know this.
but all of the above has helped to take away the skill and talent of yet another amazing art. CDJ'S for the true DJ, are like the guitar hero for a talented guitarist. just cause you can press some buttons and make some noise. doesnt make you anything special. regardless what your mum will tell you..
I can beatmatch a pair of tunes on cdj's in less than 10 seconds, your tunes at that, shit I dont even know.
yet Im sure I put you or any SEEDEEJAY behinds a pair of turntables with your OWN tunes and you would let the track run out and still not have matched it. (with a confused and worried look on your face) and thats just element of beatmatching in the art of DJing.

as for gettin with the times, Pretty sure you
wont find a pair of dinosaur cdj 100's in a club or stage anywhere mate, when you get to either one, try requesting a pair. and then let me know of the response monkey man.

p.s Im done, sorry for My
out bursts people I should know better than to react to the trap I set.

No I know just matching the beats perfectly won't give a polished set, but it will sound a whole lot beter than a set that uses just BPM counters or Sync.

Comparing CDJ vs TT to a Guitar vs Guitar hero is just fucking stupid.

Feel free to put me behind a pair of TTs and I'll happily mix for hours on them, as I do indeed also have a TURNTABLE, nor do I use SYNC or have bpm counters to rely on.

To me it just seems like you are one of those people that think because you have certain gear it is the best, sure it's one of the original platforms Djing was performed on but fuck there are advances in technology throughout years.

Why don't you go complain to car manufacturers and flame them for developing electronics safety features and automatic transmissions and explain to them that it is taking away from the skill of driving and providing people who call themselves "car drives" to look like they are skilled at it.
TECHiONE +

Registered User

TECHiONE's Avatar
Joined
Feb '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 19
Thanked 75 Times in 53 Posts
Posts
3,245
Do you drive an auto or a manual Oprah?
stubs +

0.o

stubs's Avatar
Joined
Mar '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7
Thanked 118 Times in 63 Posts
Posts
1,229
Wow what a pathetic thread.
So if you don't use sync you're super awesome and instantly gain +1 DJ points? And if you use turntables you gain +2?
What if you use a signed QFO with an original pressing of the beetles? What about the Technics CDJ - does that count for points?
How many points do I get?
Can I gain points by joining sides?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

All DJ's who prefer cdj's choose them because they are easy, no skipping, no slight of hand, Bpm readers etc.

ALL??? Really? You're dreaming there mate...people choose CDJs as they're a cheaper and quicker way to get into the market of DJing...you can pick up a pair of crapper CDJs and 50 digital tunes to cut your teeth on for less than the price of 1 second hand Technics 1200...let alone the $20+ per plate for tracks.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Mooso +

Registered User

Joined
Feb '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Posts
25
This is all very funny. Personally, I blame midi for the decline in modern music. If you can't simultaneously press play on multiple devices and keep them in time, then you are sullying the great work of our forefathers.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 527
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Posts
14,092

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

All DJ's who prefer cdj's choose them because they are easy, no skipping, no slight of hand, Bpm readers etc.:

Idiot...

How about cheaper to buy tunes

Not having to lug around heavy vinyl?
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
muse +

Registered User

muse's Avatar
Joined
Jun '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 259
Thanked 266 Times in 176 Posts
Posts
4,012
DJs used to be buff from lugging around all that vinyl. Digital djing has paved the way for the skinny-armed wallet-toting geek
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse View Post

DJs used to be buff from lugging around all that vinyl. Digital djing has paved the way for the skinny-armed wallet-toting geek

I dunno. This guy is pretty big from lugging around 1 serato vinyl

twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

twistedbydesign's Avatar
Joined
Mar '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 39
Thanked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Posts
16,099

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse View Post

DJs used to be buff from lugging around all that vinyl. Digital djing has paved the way for the skinny-armed wallet-toting geek

I don't know how or why but that is exactly the opposite of what has happened...

I didn't see a buff dj until the electro house obliteration of the early naughties
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign View Post

I don't know how or why but that is exactly the opposite of what has happened...

I didn't see a buff dj until the electro house obliteration of the early naughties

agreed, and they all use cdj's... must be all the money there saving on tunes, there spending on protein shakes

lolzz seems alot of you are gettin rather defensive about this, cheaper tunes for me equals serato with the benefits of still being a talented DJ. on something that takes time to get good at. hence why I use it with the waves down.

and as for price of gear, I think thats a part of earning your license as a DJ, the fact that any tard can get a pair of cheap cd'js pump the same shit off itunes/beatport, straight out of the box, is exactly why dj'ing is a dying art.


and adding all that shit to cars just makes you a worse driver, with a head like that gummy joe, you would seem like you would know that much.



but at the end of the day, all you button punchers are paying for, is the day when you are outdone by your own Technology, there is a difference between using technology and relying on it, Ill be standing up there amongst the other TT's with my decks using my "skills" as a DJ once more

hehe sounds like lord of the rings.
General Maverick
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 527
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Posts
14,092

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

but at the end of the day, all you button punchers are paying for, is the day when you are outdone by your own Technology, there is a difference between using technology and relying on it, Ill be standing up there amongst the other TT's with my decks using my "skills" as a DJ once more

.

Like the day that manufacturers stop making CDJ's and we have no option but to move one......oh wait a sec....you use TT's, well that'll never happen to you then.
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubs View Post

Wow what a pathetic thread.
So if you don't use sync you're super awesome and instantly gain +1 DJ points? And if you use turntables you gain +2?
What if you use a signed QFO with an original pressing of the beetles? What about the Technics CDJ - does that count for points?
How many points do I get?
Can I gain points by joining sides?

autosync = -3
cdj's /Technics cdj = -2
TT= +1
beetles = + 1
QFO = N/a
sith = -3
Jedi = +3

realizing your point tally isnt worth squat on ITM... priceless
General Maverick
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

Like the day that manufacturers stop making CDJ's and we have no option but to move one......oh wait a sec....you use TT's, well that'll never happen to you then.

move on to one big button, ohh wait thats an ipod...

as long as people take samples, my tt's will keep on strong. cd format is nearly obsolete as it is, you should invest in some thumb drives dude
General Maverick
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 527
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Posts
14,092

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post


as long as people take samples, my tt's will keep on strong.

Should read; as long as i can get parts, my TT's will keep on strong

Other wise we'd all be going back to driving model t fords.


Good music is good music, no matter whether it comes off a 12", cd, or hard drive.
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

Should read; as long as i can get parts, my TT's will keep on strong

Other wise we'd all be going back to driving model t fords.


Good music is good music, no matter whether it comes off a 12", cd, or hard drive.

there aint many part to my tt's, and they havent broken in since 1970.

no disagreement there dude. good music is good music.

T model fords are dope, they dont brake either
General Maverick
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100
I should be payed to fuel threads like this
General Maverick
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 527
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Posts
14,092

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

there aint many part to my tt's, and they havent broken in since 1970.

no disagreement there dude. good music is good music.

T model fords are dope, they dont brake either

Model T's didnt have brakes
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

Model T's didnt have brakes

haha well played sir
General Maverick
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

move on to one big button, ohh wait thats an ipod...

Never seen an iPod that is just one big button. Care to share?
AfroWhitie +

Registered User

AfroWhitie's Avatar
Joined
Aug '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Posts
508

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

Never seen an iPod that is just one big button. Care to share?

It's only on the "keeping it real' edition - Thats the one that you have to hand wind with a crank on the back to get it running and then hum all your tunes to yourself with. You do look cool doing it though
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
http://soundcloud.com/afrowhitie
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

Never seen an iPod that is just one big button. Care to share?

Take note, "tech heads" for the Ipod is recognized world wide for its one button layout.

http://danieliwholesale.com/images/categories/ipods.jpg
General Maverick
AfroWhitie +

Registered User

AfroWhitie's Avatar
Joined
Aug '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Posts
508

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

Take note, "tech heads" for the Ipod is recognized world wide for its one button layout.

http://danieliwholesale.com/images/categories/ipods.jpg

I count 5 on all except the Iphone
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
http://soundcloud.com/afrowhitie
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroWhitie View Post

I count 5 on all except the Iphone

so lame.
General Maverick
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroWhitie View Post

I count 5 on all except the Iphone

well I count 25 on the Iphone Including all the apps on the touch screen
General Maverick
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

twistedbydesign's Avatar
Joined
Mar '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 39
Thanked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Posts
16,099
All this is very supportive of both your original points.
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign View Post

All this is very supportive of both your original points.

General Maverick
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507
iPhone and iPod both have 2 hardware buttons. Touch screen does not count as a button.

Anyway this thread isn't about that.

You still are a fucking moron for thinking CDJ DJs are cheats or taken away from the skill. You still need to be able to read the music, read the crowd, know the structure of music etc.
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100
Granted, though alot dont. but I will say one thing I have noticed about the crowd, mainly in australia, they cant tell shit from shit, I was at a festival recently, I watched tiny tempah, pathetic artist in my opinion, for 3 quarters of his set his mic wasnt even on, and the crowd loved him regardless.

and van buuren did the same wash over every mix with the same shitty build everytime.
dont get me wrong Im a fan of Van buurens work and sets, but IMO it just seems like the standard is dropping not escalating.
to add to that, all the stage's were playing the same shit genre of house, and no one noticed.

it seems that here, most clubs/festivals have taken to sticking to the charts, bar a few.

just a bit of coal to keep it burning really
General Maverick
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100
so just recap a few reason's for using cdj's over decks apart from cheaper tunes, cause serato is equal to that plus you get to keep using records.
General Maverick
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

Granted, though alot dont. but I will say one thing I have noticed about the crowd, mainly in australia, they cant tell shit from shit, I was at a festival recently, I watched tiny tempah, pathetic artist in my opinion, for 3 quarters of his set his mic wasnt even on, and the crowd loved him regardless.

and van buuren did the same wash over every mix with the same shitty build everytime.
dont get me wrong Im a fan of Van buurens work and sets, but IMO it just seems like the standard is dropping not escalating.
to add to that, all the stage's were playing the same shit genre of house, and no one noticed.

it seems that here, most clubs/festivals have taken to sticking to the charts, bar a few.

just a bit of coal to keep it burning really

So what's the genre of music got to do with the tools it is played on?
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100
Honestly I couldn't tell you, maybe Shit electro house? and everystage had cdj's minus DJ jnr who was using decks and with no relation to the debate on thread, was the best set of the day. playing electro, as in 80's electro, and abit of dubstep and breaks.

although technically he was very good, being a dmc champion you would expect as much
General Maverick
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oprah Winfrey View Post

so just recap a few reason's for using cdj's over decks apart from cheaper tunes, cause serato is equal to that plus you get to keep using records.

The fact that many clubs have their decks in a fucking shoddy state of dis-repair…if they even have decks at all
No hassle of carting around a laptop and box and having to fuck around plugging it in and then unplugging it after your set
The perceived stability issues
If you don't already HAVE decks, Serato et al isn't really a great option (especially if you don't already have a laptop!)
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

The fact that many clubs have their decks in a fucking shoddy state of dis-repair…if they even have decks at all
No hassle of carting around a laptop and box and having to fuck around plugging it in and then unplugging it after your set
The perceived stability issues
If you don't already HAVE decks, Serato et al isn't really a great option (especially if you don't already have a laptop!)

yeah all very valid reasons Actually.

I Do HATE rockin up to a pair of decks, where one motor doesnt even keep speed unless its at plus 6 and the other doesnt respond till plus 4

but I suppose for me I just love the experience of using vinyl so much that I trudge on with my backpack, lappy and serato box.

I do also Involve alot of scratching in my sets, and beat juggling and such so I am first to ask about the decks at the venue before being booked for a gig.

I suppose to say all cd dj's are unskilled is abit much, but I dont withdraw my statement about them ruining dj'ing,
not when I continue to see idiots buying a pair and thinking they know what dj;ing is about or how to do it.
or when I walk into a club and a guy who has been playing for 2 months, starts gettin festival slots because he fits the image, even though he cant mix to save his life, and his choice selection is a ministry of sound playlist or a beatport top 10 house tunes.
General Maverick
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507
^^ I agree with you there. No not all CDJ djs are unskilled but there are a lot who are getting the big gigs yet cannot mix for shit, nor understand the structure of music and just play what is popular. I totally agree with you on that part.

I do love to play on vinyl as well, the feel of it is much nicer and for me is funner. Yet I'm still having trouble deciding whether I want to go and buy another 1200 or just upgrade my CDJs
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

^^ I agree with you there. No not all CDJ djs are unskilled but there are a lot who are getting the big gigs yet cannot mix for shit, nor understand the structure of music and just play what is popular. I totally agree with you on that part.

I do love to play on vinyl as well, the feel of it is much nicer and for me is funner. Yet I'm still having trouble deciding whether I want to go and buy another 1200 or just upgrade my CDJs


yeah for me also, Im very hands on when dj'ing, always touching the records, so cdj's usually get me really drunk, cause I find myself standing around holding a beer in one hand and twisting a eq pot with the other.

not to say I haven't had some crazy sets on them though, when I push myself they are abit of fun, the loop functions and hot cue's etc. but again serato + my dicers have all that plus I get to use my hands

anyways obviously I would suggest another deck ahha,

I just bought a pair of reloop's mk6 just to test against my technics, there OEMS, so same deck as the stanton 150's, except reloops are white with rounded corners (freshh), and after using technics for nearly 6 years I have to say, these decks shit on them.

all for 500 bucks a piece
General Maverick
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507
the reloops shit on the technics????
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

twistedbydesign's Avatar
Joined
Mar '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 39
Thanked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Posts
16,099
Torque son.
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

the reloops shit on the technics????

YEah ! I am just as shocked as you, I bought them cause they were cheap, I got put on to them by a mate in the U.K he is a hardcore turntablist who also has been using techinics for all his time and recently caught a sponser offer from reloop, so he tried the decks and switched straight up.

so being so cheap I bought a pair just to see for myself, ended up selling my main pair technics (have a pair stored away for safe keeping (Mk5G's!)) after a month on the reloops.

Build Quality is dope, they can be used phono or switched to digital output, start/stop adjustments, torque adjustment,
10% 20% and 50% pitch, same as a cdj pretty much, reverse etc.

all the bells and whistles with the build quality to match.
General Maverick
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Bumpy's Avatar
Joined
Mar '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Posts
5,507
Yeh I noticed the stantons had all the bells and whistles with a higher amount of torque and from what I've read the build quality is awesome. Might invest in 1 when I make my mind up.
Oprah Winfrey +

Registered User

Oprah Winfrey's Avatar
Joined
May '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

Yeh I noticed the stantons had all the bells and whistles with a higher amount of torque and from what I've read the build quality is awesome. Might invest in 1 when I make my mind up.

yeah awesome, if you get cdj's planning on 1000's? if you going for the new models (900/2000) I tried the 900's at a club during a set, and I wouldnt recommend them, sluggish as. probably due to being entry level, if you could fork out the crazy price 2000's for sure, if not stick to your guns with the 1000's, hahah ill shut up now.
General Maverick
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts