House, Techno and Progressive

Dub Techno - Echoes.Delays.Field Recordings.Bliss.

Tools
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by jootsiejuice View Post

We get it, you're over dub techno. It's not Sandwell District enough

haha. i guess i keep banging on about it because it really upsets me i am over dub techno. i have loved it for so long!

so as to make a more positive contribution to the thread, here is a mix i'd recommend. all chain reaction:

http://graphitenorth.blogspot.com/20...by-unseen.html
http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760
PS Here is a thread re an echospace mix I once did (just to prove I did once feel the love)

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...+echospace+mix
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169
I personally dig Moeller the most. Man can produce jazzy deep house or self-important dub techno with ease, and costantly tries to move beyond the formula. His album coming out in March is something different alltogether, and will be totally unexpected.
AS001

AS002
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

I personally dig Moeller the most. Man can produce jazzy deep house or self-important dub techno with ease, and costantly tries to move beyond the formula. His album coming out in March is something different alltogether, and will be totally unexpected.

his recent EP on ann aimee was top notch. probably best i've heard from him.
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Disco View Post

his recent EP on ann aimee was top notch. probably best i've heard from him.

I reckon 2011 will see his best work brought to light. He's prolific as is with all the different monikers, but I reckon he'll nail it this year..... could be wrong... hope I ain't.

And yeah, that Ann Aimee EP was radical.

ps Chain Reaction DLing, cheers++
AS001

AS002
truba +

Times thanked
< 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

me

Hey, I was being a little bit trollish because I don't want to be back at work.

But I really do find deadbeat's stuff a bit lacking in the funk and in tonal richness.

I think my view is if you are going to be doing dub techno now there should be an attempt to push the genre a bit, if not in structure at least in the quality and adventurousness of the sound palette. I think deadbeat's music is pedestrian. I feel like a lot of the Echospace stuff coming out really is 26 mixes for cash. But Rod Modell is a hero of mine and I don't blame him. I really like his more ambient works.

I shouldn't criticise anyone for making music, it's a cool thing, but I think if I buy vinyl and pay for all my downloads (which I do) I have a right, actually a need, to be very critical. I suppose I am becoming pretty fussy about the quality of production these days. Lazy Ableton work or reusing the same thin analogue synth chord progressions don't do it for me anymore.

truba, buy the record I linked to above, I know you will be impressed.

lol man i didnt know you is dubdelay, how are ya, i think you fellas overdosed on dub techno and are a bit dissapointed that nothing innovative has come out in recent years, i kinda understand that specially when you gotta fork out big bucks for some of the releases cause they get so rare, i mean 16 euros for a modell record is a bit too much when it just sounds the same as the previous 2, that link is great man didnt really like the FK mix but Moritz one is fuckin cool, i'm getting this one next week
http://hardwax.com/62370/, cant wait to crank it. and chris cheers for the chain reaction link, i actually got a whole heap of that stuff not long ago, i wish more of these newer dub techno producers did similar things to chain reaction but instead they just get stuck in one sound. u guys like stl much, he does his own thing but also did some cool dub techno.
truba +

Times thanked
< 112

Quote:

We get it, you're over dub techno. It's not Sandwell District enough

man i dont know why all the hype about sandwell district, maybe i dont get it , but to me it sounds like some post minimal go nowhere shit, that new album sounds like poor mans convextion album from 5-6 years ago an is very similar to some old rob hood stuff but has no funk in it just cold and really boring, i can see that shit turning into popcorn minimal in a few years
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by truba View Post

lol man i didnt know you is dubdelay, how are ya, i think you fellas overdosed on dub techno and are a bit dissapointed that nothing innovative has come out in recent years, i kinda understand that specially when you gotta fork out big bucks for some of the releases cause they get so rare, i mean 16 euros for a modell record is a bit too much when it just sounds the same as the previous 2, that link is great man didnt really like the FK mix but Moritz one is fuckin cool, i'm getting this one next week
http://hardwax.com/62370/, cant wait to crank it. and chris cheers for the chain reaction link, i actually got a whole heap of that stuff not long ago, i wish more of these newer dub techno producers did similar things to chain reaction but instead they just get stuck in one sound. u guys like stl much, he does his own thing but also did some cool dub techno.

Yeah I got it for the Moritz mix but I think you might find the FK mix will sit really well in some of the stuff you mix. It is beautifully produced and sounds really chunky. It would seriously rock a dance floor played at the right time.

I got some of stl's earlier releases but haven't listened to any of his later stuff. Will check em out.

I do think innovative dub stuff is coming out, possibly the most innovative being Made Up Sound releases and what Moritz is doing.

On the 4/4 front I'm really enjoying what Madteo is doing, liking the slowed down trippy stuff.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

man i dont know why all the hype about sandwell district, maybe i dont get it , but to me it sounds like some post minimal go nowhere shit, that new album sounds like poor mans convextion album from 5-6 years ago an is very similar to some old rob hood stuff but has no funk in it just cold and really boring, i can see that shit turning into popcorn minimal in a few years

I agree
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

well i love SD and i love convextion... wouldn't agree with the new album sounding like a bad version of the latter. i think what they are doing is far more interesting than most techno producers out there.

and if you think regis or function turning into popcorn minimal you are kidding yourself!
deep audio +

blah!

Times thanked
< 113

Quote:

No chance!
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169

Quote:

well i love SD and i love convextion... wouldn't agree with the new album sounding like a bad version of the latter. i think what they are doing is far more interesting than most techno producers out there.

and if you think regis or function turning into popcorn minimal you are kidding yourself!

I reckon both Regis and Rod Modell go about their business with the same degree of drive and direction, just they have different goals. That's why I like both, that's why variety is good.

SD have a formula, but so does everyone. That's why genres exist in the first place....
AS001

AS002
truba +

Times thanked
< 112

Quote:

i dont think that sound will end up sounding like popcorn minimal, i think that its gonna suffer a very similar fate minimal did a few years ago when market got saturated with half assed ping pong productions which killed everything that was decent about it.
truba +

Times thanked
< 112

Quote:

Yeah I got it for the Moritz mix but I think you might find the FK mix will sit really well in some of the stuff you mix. It is beautifully produced and sounds really chunky. It would seriously rock a dance floor played at the right time.

I got some of stl's earlier releases but haven't listened to any of his later stuff. Will check em out.

I do think innovative dub stuff is coming out, possibly the most innovative being Made Up Sound releases and what Moritz is doing.

On the 4/4 front I'm really enjoying what Madteo is doing, liking the slowed down trippy stuff.

yeah made up sound does some wicked stuff and madteo lol, i just got his sick 7 inch on workshop lol(waddup mofos), man defo check stl his new album on something its the shit and as for innovative techno/house i reckon hieroglyphic being is doing some serious stuff at the moment, i just love that gritty,raw,jackin headfuck that he does so well http://hardwax.com/?search=hieroglyphic+being or this, got this one yesterday http://rushhour.nl/store_master.php?...&Submit=Search oh yeah and dj yoav b
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

I reckon both Regis and Rod Modell go about their business with the same degree of drive and direction, just they have different goals. That's why I like both, that's why variety is good.

agreed. i got a lot of time for modell. i really love his ambient stuff. very cool guy too. fucking hilarious. considering how reflective and quiet their music can be, those echospace guys are very very loud!
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

i dont think that sound will end up sounding like popcorn minimal, i think that its gonna suffer a very similar fate minimal did a few years ago when market got saturated with half assed ping pong productions which killed everything that was decent about it.

that has already happened. but i think it is mainly the klock / dettmann sound that people are imitating. but right now the techno wave of the last couple of years is coming to an end.
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169

Quote:

that has already happened. but i think it is mainly the klock / dettmann sound that people are imitating. but right now the techno wave of the last couple of years is coming to an end.

Back to pots'n'pans? ;-)
AS001

AS002
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

I don't really care about producers' personal approaches or motivations when I assess their output. I'll leave that to Wire magazine and various online exhibits of sycophancy.

I suppose variety is a subjective thing.
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169

Quote:

I don't really care about producers' personal approaches or motivations when I assess their output.

I prefer to take both output and intention into consideration, that works for me.
AS001

AS002

Last edited by jootsiejuice: 13-Jan-11 at 12:09pm

Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

I prefer to take both output and intention into consideration, that works for me.

i have trouble enjoying music from someone who is a dick, that's for sure.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760
^^ me too, two particular producers were total dicks to me when I supported them and I have never gone near their music since. But I won't like something just because the producer is a cool person. I think the echospace guys are cool, i'm disappointed that they have over released (in my view), although as I have said, good luck to them, artists need all the revenue they can get these days.

It's easier for me now because I am not in the scene, so I buy what I think is really worth buying, personalities aside. But talking about someone's drive or vision is different to whether or not someone is a nice person.
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

But talking about someone's drive or vision is different to whether or not someone is a nice person.

i know, but it just got me thinking...
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16

Quote:

I'd like to know who you consider the imitators.

I was thinking about this very thing for a while but couldn't settle on whether it is a saturation of the sound and its originators through a few too many releases, podcasts and other mix series or the actual rise of imitators.

I think Klock and Dettmann have alerady moved on to bigger more spacious sounds.
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by carramrod View Post

I'd like to know who you consider the imitators.

I was thinking about this very thing for a while but couldn't settle on whether it is a saturation of the sound and its originators through a few too many releases, podcasts and other mix series or the actual rise of imitators.

I think Klock and Dettmann have alerady moved on to bigger more spacious sounds.

i've been meaning to write about it for a while, and still plan to. but basically i think right now we have the tyranny of good techno. plenty of solid stuff out there, not too much amazing or inspirational techno.

klock is still doing well, especially on the remixes, but most of dettmann's output has been very plain for a while. saying that, his new reworks on the next kontra are strong.
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
The shame about "Dettmann" is that is was released a year too late.

Two or three of his best tracks are on the album but it all seems to be lost in the flood of good techno.

The crew's releases on that Ostgut compilation were all very "good"'.
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169
I would like to think that all these 'good' producers will become amazing..... the next logical step.... rather than another 'genre' coming through. I just like techno that's awesome is all.
AS001

AS002
mickoyy +

Times thanked
< 2
A little off topic but here's a Moritz and Ernestus Rhythm and Sound live p.a from 2006
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DV2REL8I

As for dub techno here's my two cents
Basic Channel
JS-01
Convection
Chain Reaction
B
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,052
Hell yes. JS-04 is also amazing, probably right up there as the best record I bought in 2010.

Media Player
JS-04 - JS-04R - YouTube

OnL - Weathering Shifts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760
Sounds like something he dragged out of the vaults... cool track though
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
< 33

Quote:

I would like to think that all these 'good' producers will become amazing..... the next logical step.... rather than another 'genre' coming through. I just like techno that's awesome is all.

Just like techno thats awesome is all.

I think this is a pretty fucken important thing to remember right here.

To expect anyone to sound like no-one is out and out ridiculous.

...at times, I think the 'techno' community is way to obsessed with 'relevance'.
Soundcloud
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
< 33

Quote:

no formula with what they do? then how come some much of their stuff sounds so similar... i know they are very passionate, and they are definitely very good at what they are doing, but they have been operating within a pretty limited range for a long time now.

You would have to put this down to equipment surely?? Craig you'd know better but would you say the 'sameish' sound comes from the process and equipment?
Soundcloud
lostintranslation +

Times thanked
< 0
I have to say I disagree with you Chris Disco, I don't think as a label Echospace [Detroit] have overdone anything, for fuck sake they only released 3 records on the label last year, just look at Quantec, Sandwell District, Hyperdub or Styrax, these guys are no where near as prolific as these labels or artist. I really don't think this sound has died at all or isn't going somewhere fresh and new or has it been outlived or outdated, it's timeless when it's done right. Have you heard the new cv313? It practically blew me off of my seat, it's a whirlwind of deepness I haven't heard in ages, taking that old sound in a new direction if you ask me, these guys may not release a new record every month but when they do it's really something special unlike 99% of the people imitating them or Basic Channel. The main difference is these records I'll play in 10 years and the WOW factor will still be there while all the others will have been sold off. I keep hearing rumours about an official cv313 album but still awaiting.
lostintranslation +

Times thanked
< 0
I will agree with on Sandwell District mate, they've been super prolific and most of them have been really good, a few misses though.
lostintranslation +

Times thanked
< 0
Worth noting those remixes of Linkwood Family and Brock Van Wey still kill it and they sound nothing like anything I've heard from either of these fellas. Also, the criminally overlooked variant album, it's an ambient lovers wet dream. I heard there's remixes of King Midas Sound by the Echospace boys on Hyperdub, drooling over those mixes coming out. Yum!
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,052
Yeah I'm a big fan of The Setting Sun as well. A cv313 LP would be brill.

OnL - Weathering Shifts

Quote:

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

ManipulatingMusic +

Theory of Machines

Times thanked
< 0
Media Player
Ramadanman - Humber (Sven Weisemann Remix) (High Quality) - YouTube

Media Player
YouTube

The Sight Below - Murmur EP

Yagya - Rigning

RA.128 Murmur - 2008.11.09 <<< THISSSSSSS
http://rapidshare.com/files/16256036...2008.11.10.mp3

RA.153 Intrusion - 2009.05.04 (also sick)
http://rapidshare.com/files/23035982..._Intrusion.rar
http://www.last.fm/user/ehanna93
http://www.flickr.com/people/ehanna93/

Last edited by ManipulatingMusic: 17-Jan-11 at 02:20pm

claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostintranslation View Post

I really don't think this sound has died at all or isn't going somewhere fresh and new or has it been outlived or outdated, it's timeless when it's done right.

The sound hasn't died off at all, it's way more popular now than it ever was. Whether or not it's fresh or new or outdated really depends on your point of view I suppose.
NenadL +

......errrr I got nothin

Times thanked
< 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by juxy View Post

luke hess is the Bomb.. Love his shit.

I posted a Luke Hess mix up on the Discovery group.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...22778767766706
www.discoveryrecords.com.au
www.soundcloud.com/nenad-lonic
www.soundcloud.com/discoveryrecords
NenadL +

......errrr I got nothin

Times thanked
< 23
Just came across these guys on soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/emtex
www.discoveryrecords.com.au
www.soundcloud.com/nenad-lonic
www.soundcloud.com/discoveryrecords
truba +

Times thanked
< 112
a cool mix by bvdub

http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/...-and-20-years/
juxy +

Times thanked
< 5

ECHOES returns for its third instalment at Loop to celebrating the influence of Dub in electronic music and its winning formula of meshing Dub TECH/HOUSE & STEP in a flow that will hook yas proper.

Dub, developed originally in the late sixties focusing on the rhythmic parts of a Reggae recording, grew to be a genre on its own right that has literally shaken the world ever since. It was a powerful experiment that has pushed the use of the mixing desk as an instrument and gave greater control to the sound engineer as a producer. It set the blueprint for much of the dance music that has followed.

ECHOES V3.0 will take you on a bass heavy journey from Kingston to Berlin via Detroit and London. For this evening we’ve put together a group of experienced selectors who love and deep understanding of the sound:

Derek M aka Stryka D – Born and raised in Liverpool, this English expat has been causing waves in the local Dub scene since moving to Australia in 2001. Apart from being an accomplished DJ - Derek has been billed alongside many international Dub. Since its inception in 2002, the Heartical HiFi project has taken reggae and dub music to a new level and is now recognised as one of Australia’s leading dub and reggae outfits. Since 2004 Derek is involved with local community radio station PBSFM 106.7 where he continues to present “Break The Chain” every Friday from 11 am to [b]1 pm.

Carlos aka Matic – Never one to be limited by the BPM and with an ear for experimentation his sets have been highly regarded by punters and promoters alike. Expect to hear a set of forward thinking music that stimulates both mind and body.

Forty6&Two – For us to evolve we must step beyond our shadow and experience vunerability. What appears like chaos is in fact order & self-organisation. Mark Baumann aka Markojux & Lance Harrison emerge as one for ECHOES V3.0 and are planning on showcasing some of their very best selections in a 2 hour b2b Techno Dub fest. Inform yourself & question authority.

Spherix (lowercase) – Is widely recognised as Australia's leading post-dubstep export.

Spherix's production style is sleek and emotive, melding delicately sculpted textures and crinkled melodic hooks with the deepest of sub bass tones and syncopated rhythms. He has received worldwide acclaim in the dubstep world, with his tracks becoming a regular inclusion in the sets of the likes of Scuba, Appleblim, Ramadanman, and Sigha. His tracks have also been shortlisted for inclusion on the forthcoming DJ Kicks compilation, mixed by Apparat.

The Spherix live show steers itself somewhere between the concrete bass principles of dubstep and the commanding percussive reductions of berlin techno, resulting in a deeply personal and hypnotic exploration of the space that exists amid the frayed edges of both genres, whilst incorporating many sources of inspiration to his own sound design.
ECHOES V8.0 [Experiments in Dub] @ LooP Bar - 13/01/12

www.pinksilver.net
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
< 1,472
Saw this feature on RA: http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1312

Kenneth Christiansen: In dub we trust

Denmark's purveyor of dub techno stayed in Copenhagen, and it made all the difference in the world.

Spoiler:
With everybody and their brother rushing to find house and techno fame in Berlin, those that stick around their local scenes are more important than ever. Copenhagen's Kenneth Christiansen is one such character. Around six years ago, he pondered a move to the German capital. At that moment, however, he found an empty space in the city's downtown district and along with several other local music lovers built Culture Box, now regarded as one of the city's go-to venues for quality four-four beats.

Christiansen has a devotion to his city, but he has an even bigger devotion to dub techno. Via his Echocord imprint, he's doggedly pushed the sound for almost a decade. This month, they'll celebrate their 50th release with a compilation and a tour. In short, things are busier than ever, proving that staying home (and staying the course) was the right decision after all.

Have you always lived in Copenhagen?

No, I grew up in the countryside, very close to Germany. I moved to Copenhagen when I was 20 years old because of the music scene. I wanted to work in record shops. There was a very big underground techno scene in Copenhagen at the end of the '80s and the beginning of the '90s. Acid house and techno was really big, and illegal warehouse parties were going on everywhere.

Were there certain DJs or certain parties that really stick out in your mind?

At that time it was really more harder techno stuff. Really banging techno shit. I remember the first time Richie Hawtin was playing here with Dave Clarke. Miss Djax... And then we started to go to the Love Parade in Berlin. I went to Tresor, E-Werk and all that, yeah. It was very close from where I lived, only like two hours to go to Hamburg for example. So it was very easy to go to Germany to buy records.

What record store did you work at in Copenhagen?

The first one I was working in was called Street Dance records. I worked there for three-and-a-half years, and then decided to open up my own record shop. That was called Science Fiction. At that time there was a lot of competition: We had three other stores that specialized in electronic music in the city. So, after one year, we decided to close it. Then I got a job in another shop called Loud Music, which was—for me—the best record shop in Copenhagen ever. It closed about six years ago now. It was the last record shop which specialized in electronic music in Copenhagen.

How long was Loud around?

We had 10 to 15 really good years in Copenhagen with record shops, but then it went really, really fast. Everything suddenly closed down because everybody was starting to buy records on the internet. We still have, of course, some record shops, but it's more secondhand shops with all kinds of stuff, it's not really specialized in any genre.

When Echocord began, the label was largely a vehicle for Mikkel Metal's production. But it seems like the label has opened up quite a bit over time. Was that always the plan from the beginning?

I didn't have a plan really, it was more about releasing some nice music that I really thought was good and something new and fresh. That was the basic idea, and then suddenly it grew and more people got involved. I also thought at a certain moment that maybe I had to move a little bit away from what I was doing, maybe to make it a little bit more for the dance floor, release some of the tracks on vinyl, also just to sell a little bit more. It was difficult at that time just to sell tracks for home-listening on vinyl.

At what point do you feel like you made that move to becoming a little bit more dance floor?

I had a long talk with Mikkel Metal about it when he was doing his third album I think? He did a lot of stuff on Kompakt, and so we thought, "OK, maybe it's time to try to move a little bit and try to see how it goes and see what people think. Still have it be dubby, but also have make some of the tracks more powerful."

Was it simply a case of people not buying listening tracks on vinyl anymore? I mean obviously you love everything you release, but it sounds like a business decision to focus on that.

I think it was both. I started to DJ more and more myself at that time, and I could see, for example, in Berlin that these listening parties were becoming less and less. It was just party party, four-to-the-floor. But I think it was also nice for me to change it a little bit, but not too much. That's why I started the sub-labels: so I could release other kinds of music.

Had you not been DJing much before?

I started to DJ in 1991, but that was just local DJing in Denmark. I started to DJ outside of Denmark at the end of the '90s for ~scape, Barbara Preisinger and Stefan Betke's label. They did a lot of showcases all over Europe, and they invited me to be the resident DJ. He was a big influence for me. Then when I started Echochord up and I started my own club here in Copenhagen, it's started to get faster and faster. The past three or four years especially.

Has the label changed in other ways over time?

Not really, I think. I still think Echochord is Echochord. Maybe it's changed a little bit. I mean the whole music scene is changing all the time. For example, I like to hear the fresh dubstep, some of it, not the harder stuff, but the dubby dubstep, the techy dubstep. So of course it has changed a little bit, but not really too much.

Are you bringing dubstep into your own sets as well?

Yeah, a little bit. Not much, but sometimes I play a dubstep tune. I think it's really good for the whole dub techno scene actually that there's a little new fresh sound that's coming in. It gives it a new energy again. You can mix it also with this techy dubstep techno, it's almost techno, but dubstep techno, whatever. You can mix it all together. I really like that.

You talk about this new energy, and I'm curious about that. I think a lot of people would say that dub techno hasn't progressed much as a genre. What would you say to that?

I think there are still a lot of new tracks and records that come out that you will say, "This is dub techno," but it still has a new fresh sound. Well, maybe you have to be a little nerdy to hear it. If you listen to Goa trance or you listen to rock music, you can't hear any difference with dub techno maybe, but I think there's still some very fresh tunes coming out that are interesting for me to play for sure.

Tell me a little bit about Culture Box, the club that you run in Copenhagen.

We've been going for six years now. I started the club with my partner Loke Busch, at a time when we thought there was nothing at that moment for electronic underground music. We had been doing parties for many years with other groups of people, and we just got tired of moving the parties all the time and putting up lights and blah blah blah, so we wanted to try to find a place where we could have a club, a steady place every weekend. Then, suddenly, we found this empty space and now it's been six years. It's crazy.

Did you imagine you'd be doing it for six years? I mean you had done the record store for a year, you know, and I'm sure you maybe thought to yourself, "Huh, I don't know if this is going to last."

I wasn't thinking about it. I was just doing it, really. We were a big group of people actually, and we were really thinking, before I got married and had kids, you know, "OK, should we all move to Berlin like everybody else and try to do something there or should we try to do something in our hometown?" Today, I feel very lucky that we all stayed and we have this place here now instead of being one out of a million [in Berlin].

Tell me about Copenhagen.

Copenhagen is a very small city, a very beautiful city. We have a lot of parks, we have all the canals, the channels. We have a lot of beautiful and nice people here. People are very friendly and kind, and if you drive 20 minutes you're in the countryside and if you fly 45 minutes, you're in Berlin. It's really nice I think.

One of the things I was surprised by when I visited for Trailerpark Festival, is that it seems like there are so many young people doing artistic things. Is that something you feel as well, that it's a little bit more vibrant at the moment or has that always been the case in your opinion?

I think it's always been here, there's always been a lot of activity and very young people doing a lot of creative stuff, cultural stuff. There are so many people working for free, who just want to be a part of it. There are a lot of festivals here, and a lot of young producers. It's been that way for many years I think actually.

But you said that at the time you started Culture Box, there wasn't a lot going on. Why do you think that was?

There were some venues doing parties maybe once a month or maybe once every two months. But at that time the R&B and pop and rock and heavy metal scene were really big. The trance scene was really big, but for techno and house music, electronica stuff, there was nothing.

I was surprised by how small Culture Box was when I visited there.

Yeah, I mean, there are two floors. We have the basement, which can hold 80 people or so. And the main floor which, if it's really packed can have 250. I like that, though. The good thing about Culture Box is that if you have 100 people you can still have a really nice party. And that's very important because the scene here still isn't so big and sometimes you never really know how many people show up.

It was important to us to find a place that looks underground, but that's also nice in a way. We can change the lights a lot, and we rent the place to others who do parties there. They can change the how the venue feels quite easily. We have a good soundsystem, which I think is also very important.

Tell me a little bit about your Pattern Repeat project. It started just recently, right?

Yeah. It's me and a good friend of mine, Resoe. I was actually working with him at the record shop eight years ago. He's very much into the same kind of music as me, and he also runs the Baum label. He has a really nice studio, so I thought, "OK, I'll go to his studio," and suddenly we had a track. "OK, why not try to start our own label with our own music?" We've made some records now, and we've already played at Berghain and Fabric. It's a nice little side project.

This is the first time you've actually made music yourself, correct?

Yes, but I would not say that I'm making most of it. Dennis is the man. I more sit next to him, and have the ideas. I have a lot of ideas in my head, and it's really nice to get it on vinyl. It's really fun.

You're in the studio saying, "I want it to sound a little bit more like that." You're the advisor, almost.

Exactly. We both are! [laughs]

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
truba +

Times thanked
< 112
this thing is in my cart right now waiting for me to get fuckin paid, hurry up work ya ****

http://clone.nl/item19652.html

new wax is cool as well, also in teh same cart

http://clone.nl/item20308.html
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169
Dub techno artist shows his detroit side, and I friggen love it:

Media Player
YouTube

Stephen Hitchell, one half of Echospace, aka cv313, intrusion, vivace, phase90, Soultek, Variant xx
AS001

AS002
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,052

Quote:

Dub techno artist shows his detroit side, and I friggen love it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-nIwWt9KEE

Stephen Hitchell, one half of Echospace, aka cv313, intrusion, vivace, phase90, Soultek, Variant xx

This is really nice. Plenty of funk right there.

I have been listening to cv313 - Live a lot lately. Such a terrific mix and makes me hope more that I get to see the live PA one day.

In other news, new Deadbeat album dropping in June http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=13995 . Sounds very promising.

OnL - Weathering Shifts

Quote:

Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 530
I'm totally vibing the new Marco Zenker release. An original and a Conforce remix. YUM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

Xelpmok +

Unregistered

Times thanked
< 58
thanks for the link
--do not click this link here--
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,052
Echologist – Subterranean. Great LP from Brendon Moeller. Samples be here....

http://headphone-space.blogspot.com/...-previews.html

OnL - Weathering Shifts

Quote:

truba +

Times thanked
< 112
mad release by bv dub, too bad i cant get this on vinyl

http://www.entropy-records.com/release100020.htm
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,293
you dub techno fellas might enjoy this mix i did over the weekend. real dark... (not that happy with the levels in some places though but cbf recording again)

Lunatik Sound System - Recording 01
Lunatik Sound System - Just Imagine
Daren Seymour & Mark Van Hoen - May 5th, 1948: One
The Black Dog - Lounge
Moritz von Oswald Trio - Structure 5
Fluxion - Bipolar Defect
Substance & Vainqueur - Reverberation
Maurizio - M7 (Unreleased Edit)
Peter Van Hoesen & Donato Dozzy - Elektra
Steve Rachmad - Organon
Chiapet - Westworld (Medieval Funk Mix)
Regen - Ursus
Mario Zenker - Invisible Shadows (Conforce Remix)
Paperclip People - The Climax (Basic Reshape)
Alex Cortex - Untitled
Octave One - Modernism
Metro Dade - Lurandi
Sigha - Fold
Szare - Pressure
Deepak Sharma & Dieter Krause - Wolkenreise (DJ Qu Remix)
Mildiou - De Natura Rerum (Intrusion Mix)
Andrei Oid - Silence of the Lamps
Parallel 9 - Technique
WAX - 40004 B
Basic Channel - Phylyps Trak II/I
O/V/R - Post Traumatic Son (Ben Klock Remix)
Rejected - For the People (Ben Klock Remix)
Don Williams - Orderly Kaos
G-Man - Old School Drift
Jeff Mills - Memory Reset

gimme some feedback

« Previous Thread Next Thread »