The DJ Booth

Is there anywhere in Australia that has any new Technics 1200/1210 stock remaining?

Tools
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
Is there anywhere in Australia that has any new Technics 1200/1210 stock remaining?
Cheers
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
http://www.dmcrecords.com.au/makers.asp?type=4&id=3
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
hey mate, i know one of the guys at DMC, you want me to ask for you?
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
shaunmc123 +

Times thanked
<
hi there

I had the same problem a few months ago. at that stage DMC didnt have any.

I ended up buying x2 mk5s from New Zealand from these guys. http://www.mixfoundation.co.nz/

The whole transaction was hassle free and was cheaper than importing from Europe / US.

Also turntables are on same voltage as australia.

One word of warning though: if you are buying more than one make sure import them a couple of weeks apart. I got stung $200 GST as the value of the goods were more than AUS$1000.

but all in all it worked out to the same cost as buying locally.

hope this helps.
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
second hand is the way to go
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
Thanks for the tips guys Exploring all options..

Still can't believe they have stopped making them. What a tragedy.
DjDennis +

bloody work again - it never ends

Times thanked
<
oh the prices for the SL1200's will sky rocket now they are no longer made

its all on supply and demand
you might get them say at $500 each last year but I have also heard
that prices will go UP and over what you think you would buy them for

you think a grand is expensive
wait till 2012 it will get worse!
DjDennis

CEO - Director/Manager/Entertainment Director
(In this crazy business for over 38+ years)

new updated urls
http://www.trebleclefdj.com.au Main Site!
http://verifydj.trebleclefdj.com.au
http://www.djdennis.com.au
dpell +

Times thanked
<
I just sold my 2 Mk II 1210's for $1800, prepare to pay more very soon
TJAY +

Times thanked
<
Try the DJ Factory in Northbridge WA, that's where I got mine from late last year, although there was only a few left then, and he'd sold 4 pairs in as many days?
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
i wonder if there is any chance this could be a marketing tactic from panasonic. take them off the market for a couple of yrs.. re-invigorate interest. come back with a special edition?

surely they can't literally be gone forever.. i just don't believe it
RAINESUPREME +

BACDAFUCUP

Times thanked
<
There are def none left in Aus. Word from the supplier.
DefTonez +

Times thanked
<
I have a pair in pretty good condition if you are intrested on a second hand ones
Sydney Breaks

Broken Stylus

Soundcloud Page

kick, boom, kick kick, boom
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts
Seriously, second hand ones are the way to go. Plenty of places in Sydney where you can get a service that will make them good as new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

TravGTi +

Who Slimed Me

Times thanked
<
Why is everyone so keen on second hand technics?

The pitch faders are normally shot in the plus or minus two percent range. (may be difficult to replace in the future too)

They are seriously lacking in features

Cost an ass load for something that has probably seen up to 10 years worth of use

There's not going to be any spare parts a or service available!

And the fact no one ever wanted to buy them new was why they went out of production in the first place!

Seriously for not much more than the cost second hand old techs seriously consider the top spec Stantons or numark ttxs! Get yourself something that performs as tightly tempo wise but offers heaps more torque and features if you go the DVS route and can actually be covered by warranty!

Techs seriously feel great if u have used nothing else-once you have grounds to compare they seem rather average!
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<
They lack in features because they're made to mix, not to do any bullshit fancy stuff with. You don't buy Technics because they're feature packed; you buy them because after a repair they'll last you 10+ years. I don't really think that Stantons have undergone the test of time that Technics clearly have.

In addition, if you go down the DVS path, Traktor probably has enough features already in it to play around with your music without the turntables having "cool" features.

As I just said above, you can get most of the parts still to make them as good as new. And someone will probably buy the brand of Panasonic and begin producing them again at some point in the future anyway. And if not, well, you go out and get your Technics repaired now, you've still got a good set of turntables that'll last a decade.

Seriously, if you're going to buy something other than Technics, go Vestax. Stanton are shit, IMO. There. I said it.

Quote:

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

lavelle72 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones View Post

Plenty of places in Sydney where you can get a service that will make them good as new.

Where and how much? How can you tell if they need servicing?
My Mixcloud
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<
Call The Record Store. They have a guy.

http://www.recordstore.com.au/service1200s.htm

I guess you can tell if the need servicing by if they aren't working properly. If you can mix fine off them, then personally I wouldn't bother getting them serviced until you actually have to. But hey, I'm not an old hand at this.

Quote:

RAINESUPREME +

BACDAFUCUP

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones View Post

They lack in features because they're made to mix, not to do any bullshit fancy stuff with. You don't buy Technics because they're feature packed; you buy them because after a repair they'll last you 10+ years. I don't really think that Stantons have undergone the test of time that Technics clearly have.

In addition, if you go down the DVS path, Traktor probably has enough features already in it to play around with your music without the turntables having "cool" features.

As I just said above, you can get most of the parts still to make them as good as new. And someone will probably buy the brand of Panasonic and begin producing them again at some point in the future anyway. And if not, well, you go out and get your Technics repaired now, you've still got a good set of turntables that'll last a decade.

Seriously, if you're going to buy something other than Technics, go Vestax. Stanton are shit, IMO. There. I said it.

Any reason why you think Stanton 150s are shit?
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
any reason anybod thinks stanton turnies are shit?

I'v got the T.60s just the basic direct drive tables, they have survived countless gigs and being used every single day, even lived with me dumping a ton of CDs on top of them, but 3 and a half years later, they run perfectly, the speeds are 100% equal to when i bought them, the faders and the tone is all perfect
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
eholdensonkimura +

Times thanked
<
im in japan right now, and if anyone is interested i can bring back some brand new mk6s.....

let me know

also, stanton st 150s are solid. they use them at MOS london and i switched over cause that torque shits on technics for mixing
franklin +

Times thanked
<
Bump.

Is this question even valid anymore?

Interested in picking up a turny thing.
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by franklin View Post

Bump.

Is this question even valid anymore?

Interested in picking up a turny thing.

second hand is your best bet. there have been quite a few for sale in the selling forums. sellers are asking way too much for them now just because they are discontinued. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for a pair. Even that is too much.
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
<
Yeah they haven't really gone up in price yet. $500 is still great value for 2nd hand.
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
technics are built like tanks and provided you know what to look for (check out all utube vids) then a second hand pair is an excellent choice (if your budget permits you buying a new). I bought a pair of 1210's in the UK in 1993/4 and they still perform like the day i bought them. original pitch controls, no calibration or change of rcas and used to gig them every week! Just take someone who knows what to look for as there are some real trashed ones out there.

$1000-1200 for a decent pair secondhand

Last edited by travellingpom: 25-Oct-12 at 07:04am

franklin +

Times thanked
<
Thanks for the responses.

I think I'll just keep my eye out for a local seller.
TJAY +

Times thanked
<
DMC (see above) seem to get a few going through regularly and they know what to look for/fix.
DJAsio +

Times thanked
<
hi mate, where are you located in Aus?

if you get a trashed set and your in Melbourne, i can service and mod them for you.

watch out for bent tonearms that are bent downward from cd wallets on them, check the pitch is calibrated with the dots and if the pop up target light works and the rcas are not broken.
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
to DJAsio > i had always wondered how the hell those tonearms ended up being bent downwards! stupid i didnt think or see someone do that!
Angus91 +

Times thanked
<
If anyone is still watching the thread, I have a pair of 1210 M3D's I am selling. Been sitting in my bedroom for 5 years or so with very minimal use. In Brisbane, not very interested in posting but I may consider it. $1000
greb66 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angus91 View Post

If anyone is still watching the thread, I have a pair of 1210 M3D's I am selling. Been sitting in my bedroom for 5 years or so with very minimal use. In Brisbane, not very interested in posting but I may consider it. $1000

Hi, Are you still selling them? I would take a look at them and possibly buy.
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<
i saw a brand new pair of 1200's in a hi fi shop in sydney a couple of weeks ago they wanted around 1350 for each one
funk you
Teknikall +

Times thanked
<
And that's exactly why they haven't been sold yet

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Meh, that doesn't seem that bad for an item which isn't being made anymore...bargain if you're deadset on getting some Technics even...
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
bradj88 +

Times thanked
<
I don't know. Brand new I would say 1000 bones each would be the max I would pay. And that would be for MK5's.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Those would be MK5's, they stopped making the MK2's and 3's like a decade ago when the 5's came out...and you're lucky to get a second hand pair of them for $2K now days, so still think it's alright really.

I paid $1500 (NZD) for the MK5G's when they were first released, so $1350 for something you practically can't get anymore is fine...
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
I have to question the idea of buying technics these days. Granted I have a pair and I don't see myself ever selling them but if I was in the market for new turntables I would be looking at Stantons or Vestax.

The chance of getting good quality 1200's these days at a reasonable price is pretty low. Most of the pairs I've seen being sold are thrashed.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
The problem with the Stantons and other super OEMs on the market (same factory in china and components with different cosmetic changes) are they are very poor quality compared to Japanese made Techys. Stantons in particular have a wow and flutter of 0.1 compared to technics 0.01 and only the japanese early vestax motors compared to that and gave the techys motors some scare. granted the stantons have more torque and if you are a scratch dj then you will be rough with them but for the mix djs this will make a difference. Also when you start googling stanton st 150 problems there are loads and quality control seems pretty lax since being bought out by Gibson. If you buy technics then they will hold there price for years to come and have almost 30 years of un-questionable reliability. My 20 year old 1210s are still perfect. Stantons although i have heard they are alright to mix on are ultimately poorly made chinese compnents with poor tonearms and mutiple faults. You can tell this by secondhand value of them. $799 new and go for around $250 second hand. Go the second hand techys anyday. its worth replacing tonearms, pitch controls etc as you will get a deck that lasts and wasnt built on a budget.
Will be interesting to see if these rumours about pioneer bringing out a new turntable though. that may be a game changer.

Last edited by travellingpom: 13-Mar-14 at 09:13am

« Previous Thread Next Thread »