Tools
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post

just interested, and I am not taking a stab, but understand the music in what way? Im not too fresh with all the DJ lingo and what not, but when I think understand, from a DJ perspective, the breakdowns etc and from a personal perspective, how the lyrics/music talks to you, and what it means to you (all that deep and meaningful stuff). Just curious mate thats all.

Mostly in terms of understanding what went into creating a given piece of music.

This includes productions techniques, samples used, influences and genre history.

I spend time exploring the music that has been sampled as much as the music that sampled it.

Often when i'm listening to music i'll try and pick out the various sounds/tracks and think about how it was put together and the influences of each of those sounds have drawn on. Whether it's a vocal sample or groove or snare hit.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
Ah cool man, Cheers. Yeah I often like looking up the samples if I can, I often find the original song can be quite good as well.
MixTrack Ultimate DJ +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim-BO View Post

well this is sure to a thread with much intense discussion. im talking of course about digital djing as apposed to more tradtional methods such as cds and vinyl.

coming for a non dj perspective, whats so wrong with learning on something like a vci or an s4? the time taken up by beatmatching is gone simply by pressing "sync", allowing more creative possibilities to come forth. also, as far as i know anyway, at the recent NAMM expo there was not a lot of cd or vinyl oriented equipment on show hence in the future digital may be the only choice.

on the other hand using traditional methods allow the dj to effectively learn from the base up not missing anything. it is also a lot simpler for the beginner. there is a lot said about being able to beatmatch (an art the whole dj profession is essentially built around) and those not able to are treated as noobs, so maybe for a quiet life it would be advantageous to learn with cds.

so what do you chose? the creativeness of an ean golden or someone like sven vath or ricardo villalobos who churn out "simple" but amazing sets with nothing but some vinyl and a mixer. not this may seem a bit david vs goliath but to their audiences they are viewed the same.

have your say guys and remember i have intended to remain neutral in this debat

If I was DJing on a PC I'd use the Denon DNMC6000 digital controller (They all look shit) as an example to show how stupid about the whole DJing on a PC scene is. I'd be like "Look at me, I can scratch and pitch bend just like on a CDJ" and a Mixtrack DJ will be like "So can I" and then I'd say "Look at me I can manual/auto loop" then a Mixtrack DJ will be like "So can I" then I'd say "Look at me, I can use effects and manipulate the parameters and use hot-cues, loop-cues, samples ect" then a Mixtrack DJ will be like "I can do all of that shit too by just using an additional keypad midi or the keyboard shortcuts". Then to top it off you get those idiots that DJ with just a laptop using their mouse.

Why spend all that money on a controller with a built in mixer to DJ on a PC if you just end up looking like a dick in front of everyone.
  • Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version

Name:	Traktor DJn.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	34165  
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixTrack Ultimate DJ View Post

looking like a dick in front of everyone.

pot, kettle, black
jehan +

jump and swing

Times thanked
<
here is my 2c.
Beatmatching as a skill is not easily accessible, to do it right takes months and months of practice and you need to be determined and train your ear. This dedication was a good buffer to sort out those who were serious about the artform and those narcisstic individuals that really see DJing as less of an art then that of a fashion trend to 'acquired' in order to impress whoever it is they are trying to impress. There is a way of listening to music, analytically that comes from training your ear with such intensive exercises as beatmatching. I think it is valuable and I do worry about the state of DJing today. I think it is turning into a very different beast altogether. I am seeing some kids getting some outrageous press from some incredible bullshit...
www.jehanmehta.com
http://soundcloud.com/jehanmehta
http://soundcloud.com/jehanmehta/jeh...-burn-oct-2011
Johbremat +

Times thanked
<
Why not? I'll bite.

Quote:

All that happens is that the Dj using auto sync gets bored and drops in another track after 2 mins, then another after another two minutes. Producers make tracks so try build and soften. But nowadays tracks get no space to develop in a mix.

Quote:

i feel you can't really be that creative when you just sync, you miss a vital bit of 'connection' in the music

I feel the same way. To the extent that - using TSP with MIDI - I'd let entire tracks play out and plays loops across it, but not cut it before its time.

Quote:

I learnt how to DJ using Turntables but ended up selling them because I simply couldn't afford to continue purchasing records. That said I bought an S4 because CDJ's are far too expensive. Now, I've learnt how to use loops & effects to make my sets more interesting. I still don't use the sync button tho.

Shame. Respect your decision on the all-in-one interface, but me? Complete opposite end of the spectrum. Vinyl addiction from way back but never owned my decks until some decade later. Dropped the entire MIDI setup for 3 decks, mixer and Serato.

Quote:

Even the task of acquiring a collection of music is different. I think this factor is often over looked, because people concentrate on the technology. The time and energy required to put a collection together today is fuk all compared to the era when you'd have to go to your local record store(s) and dig ... if only 5 copies of a track made it into the shops in a city ... then only 5 DJs could play that track. Now every "DJ" can.

The furthest technology has progressed for me is, being time-poor, allowing me preview minutes of a track and then ordering it online (versus downloading). There's something about physical media, y'know?

Quote:

I'd rather see someone playing vinyl, it shows they at least have a passion towards paying for music.

I'd rather see someone playing on TURNTABLES (wax or DVS). Don't think I've ever enjoyed a set played on CDJs and never seen anyone play a set on a controller (last having seen Richie Hawtin was him playing on decks). There seems to be a certain style to those with an appreciation for the simple mechanics of a turntable, and with it, my appreciation of their manipulation of a mixer. Don't know about the 'passion towards paying for music' part. That vinyl addiction I mentioned earlier? It's tamed somewhat, and I've moved to buying buckets of CDs of recent for eventual use with DVS.

Quote:

Dunno if I'd call that djing. Seems kinda like the DMC. Undanceable showboating..... still pretty cool though.

Never rated him. His performances remind me of Steve Aoki for some reason. I'll rate Edison, though.

Media Player

Quote:

I have no lamentations for the money i've invested in my collection of vinyl and CDs. (which will have considerably more resale value than you HD of MP3s). I've moved onto DVS because i like the ability to go between my vinyl collection and my digital collection. Best of both worlds. (i'm glad i never bought a CDJ to be honest) .

Here here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by that Muppet, in response to a comment made about DVS @ DMC

From 2011 onwards competing DJs will be able to utilize Serato Scratch Live in the DMC World DJ Finals 6 minute category, as well as the DMC DJ Team Championship.

Simply quoting a press release is kinda near-sighted. Battle for World Supremacy remains vinyl only: no DVS.
Tim-BO +

Times thanked
<
Never rated him. His performances remind me of Steve Aoki for some reason. I'll rate Edison, though.

he is probably one of the most influential people in the controller movement and was one of the people behind the development of the S4
Johbremat +

Times thanked
<
Yeah-but...
And the Dicer. But rather than influential I'd say 'active', and of the button-mashing movement.

Hawtin, Liebling and Speedy J were 'controllerists' well before that, and for some reason little credit ever seems to be given to Moldover and Daedelus.
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
Skrillex-adoring ragers packed away their glowsticks with disheartenment tonight, when the up-and-coming electro-dubstep artist came onstage at the Majestic Theatre to announce that due to a computer failure he would not be able to perform his sold-out show.

Opening for Skrillex were DJs 2PercentMulq and Radish, who played for several hours while their headliner tangled with experts at the Apple Store to fix his crashed laptop — to no avail — containing every piece of his music prepared for the show.

Madison concert-goers have been hooked on Skrillex since he opened for Deadmau5 at the Alliant Energy Center last fall, perhaps even before, so to say the least this rescheduling has come as a rueful disappointment.

Majestic Owner Matt Gerding confirmed that all tickets purchased for the Thursday concert will be honored for the new date, as all but two tickets were purchased online and can be verified with purchasers’ e-mails.

The theater is currently working with Skrillex’s agent to set that date — he hopes to see a finalized date within the next 24 hours. Until then, fans can only hope the Deadmau5 protege has learned to utilize an external hard drive.

http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2011...escheduled.php
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
^^ haha really? Even if I go out and play off usb sticks I still bring my cd wallet just incase.
Does this skrillex guy mix or play live tho?
NewjackThe2nd +

can't wait to finish the new ecdm-digital.net site :)

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticketsplease View Post

because they dont spend an arm and a leg building a collection of music

mate i gotta jump on this one. They don't spend anything what so ever on music. DJing is living the lifestyle and if you have not collected music legally for a number of years you don't love music. thats the truth. So yeah, collecting music is a lifestyle to me and cause i mix on fiddly buttons that make the speakers go boom i can truly call myself a DJ>
http://commercialclubking.blogspot.com 850,000 Views 202 Countries Visit Daily 360,000 Unique Visitors. 3615 views in 24hrs Record
http://twitter.com/#!/ecdm_digital
Tim-BO +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

^^ haha really? Even if I go out and play off usb sticks I still bring my cd wallet just incase.

he uses ableton
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If he could mix there wouldn't have been a problem.

I like this sentence:
full length CGI film clips from a fidget house/dubstep musician.
Beats
TECHiONE +

Times thanked
<
dpell +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim-BO View Post

another thing i have noticed; a lot of djs seem to think that ALL beginners these days especially those learning on traktor or something similar are going to be arrogant little prics only concerned with their 5 minutes of fame with no respect for established djs. not all are do you ever consider that they want to learn because they are passionate about the music and because they genuinely want to dj for the fun of it.

From someone who runs a fair few venues and been around for quiet awhile, I ca safely say t is a pretty accurate view about alot of young gun DJ's over the last 5 years are arrogant self centered twats who no respect and a massive chip on their shoulder. I like to knock it off them and let them see the error of their ways.

I am not saying all new DJ's are like that. I actually had a really nice chat to a young gun the other day and he was actually quite against alot of the newer DJ's and just wanted to learn more and actually learn the art of warming up. I was impressed.
dpell +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixTrack Ultimate DJ View Post

I used to have 10,000 + music collections but after that thing with Sydney DJs motto, guns, sefu ect. paying massive fines and court fee's years ago, I and everyone I know ditched their massive music collections. New younger DJs these days tend to have these 10,000 + music collections and have absolutely no regard for the consequences of their actions or of any previous high court decisions with regards to copyright protection.

Are you DJ Dennis?
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpell View Post

I am not saying all new DJ's are like that. I actually had a really nice chat to a young gun the other day and he was actually quite against alot of the newer DJ's and just wanted to learn more and actually learn the art of warming up. I was impressed.

They are out there, they just aren't the ones running around telling everyone that they are a DJ
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
rocknroll_1950 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpell View Post

Are you DJ Dennis?

GOLD
Ruckusboy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer View Post

I'd rather see someone playing vinyl, it shows they at least have a passion towards paying for music.

so because I buy MP3's off beatport, Juno etc I'm not as passionate about my music as you? Pretty narrow view IMO
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckusboy View Post

so because I buy MP3's off beatport, Juno etc I'm not as passionate about my music as you? Pretty narrow view IMO

I think the point being is that it's not immediately as evident.

There are obviously many shades of grey in the matter ... but if you look at a decent and varied record collection then you know there's a certain amount of time and money invested in putting that together.

An HD full of MP3s doesn't immediately reflect that investment.

funkedub dot com

macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

so because I buy MP3's off beatport, Juno etc I'm not as passionate about my music as you?

correct. If you were really passionate you would purchase the higher quality wav files
Ruckusboy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4 View Post

correct. If you were really passionate you would purchase the higher quality wav files

My bad I do buy WAV files I was just making a point that I buy my music from these retailers.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
don't feed the trolls Ruckusboy

funkedub dot com

Ruckusboy +

Times thanked
<
Some of the guys on here sound like the old blokes at the footy saying " it's not how it was done in my day, it's just not the same anymore"
;-)
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
it isn't the same anymore, nothing like it

whether it is better or worse is down to what you do with it
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
it doesn't matter if they are better or worse because they are also getting fatter
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:

Some of the guys on here sound like the old blokes at the footy saying " it's not how it was done in my day, it's just not the same anymore"
;-)

lol I'm not even that old

And I've already explained my position if you bothered reading the thread
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
Ruckusboy +

Times thanked
<
I've read it I just don't agree with you
johnbiggs +

You need to wake up, to sound of the hens

Times thanked
<
see what happen to skrillex a musician that use a guitar would have spare guitar, this dude should have spare laptop with same image. bad man and not a true
I am reporting people who call me marshy or another name you have been warn
keyring +

Times thanked
<
awesome!
Analog Cabin
Soundcloud
Diggin for Wax
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
If you were playing out using ableton and laptop and actually selling out shows, you would definetly need to have a spare laptop and copies of all the files. Nothing wrong with using new technology, just be prepared as you would in any music artform- like having spare sets of needles, cables, leads or your mate's fender you can borrow for the night.

As for laptop/midi DJs...

I myself use traktor and midi controller, but am currently shopping around for some CJs and mixer, and will later on buy some turntables. It's a big investment when you first start DJing to buy the full setup, so of course a lot of younger DJs will use computers. When I get some new decks in the next few months I'll transition to those and will then play out with them instead of setting up the laptop and Vestax Typhoon. I've started getting a few Thursday night sets, and weekend warm up sets here in Canberra, so for the moment I have bring along the laptop.

However, I don't think technology is the cause of the problems of many young DJs. Whether you play vinyl, CDs, mp3s, wavs or even DATs it's WHAT you play that counts. I've been building my dance music collection since I was 11, (I'm now 22) and have all kinds of tracks across many different genres. The comments I've been getting from the older DJs and promoters here in Canberra isn't "why are you using a midi controller, it's shit", but "man, I haven't heard this track in years" or "wow, you've got a great knowledge of music and know how to build a set". (not to big-up myself here...)

I guess my point is that so many newer DJs just want to play their 2 hour peaktime set of the beatport top 20 and bang it out whenever they play. They don't know how to warm-up, create moods, move between different genres or read a dancefloor, let alone have a track go for its entire 7 minutes sometimes!

The technology lets more people get into DJing at a reduced cost, but then they don't put the effort in to learn about music and what a good DJ set is...
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:

I've read it I just don't agree with you

Vinyl = cool / with each tune costin $15-25 you're going to have to like the tune.

MP3 = $2, disposible music.

Don't get me wrong, I buy way more off beatport than vinyl. More and more clubs don't have turntables too these days.

At the end of the day it's the music being played that counts, not the medium. I just have a hard on for vinyl.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer View Post

Vinyl = cool / with each tune costin $15-25 you're going to have to like the tune.

MP3 = $2, disposible music.

Don't get me wrong, I buy way more off beatport than vinyl. More and more clubs don't have turntables too these days.

At the end of the day it's the music being played that counts, not the medium. I just have a hard on for vinyl.

hearing this, theres been times where iv filled entire CDs that i never play, where as i rarely regret anything on vinyl
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
Recently i had to move my decks and some other gear out of my place and had to resort to using my laptop with a couple of controllers.

I really liked the fact i could have a setup that fit in one bag and gave me access to hours and hours of music.

Today i got my decks back ... and well fuk me ... i didn't realise how much i missed spinning vinyl. It's a totally different experience that mixing with CDJs or laptops with controllers ... i can't put my finger on it. I knew it was there before, but this experience reenforced it. I found myself thinking "i'm glad i didn't come to this as a strictly laptop DJ ... this is so much more satisfying"

funkedub dot com

macc4 +

Times thanked
<
it's because you are using both sides of your brain to mix the vinyl

laptop djing only uses half of it, which goes some way to explain the prevalence of halfwit dj's in recent times
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
i hear people say that the internet opens you up to a wider range of music as a DJ, but i have to say, my observation would have to be that the guys who only buy off the net tend to spend so much time "expanding on their style" that they just end up buying a shit load of unbelivible obsure tracks and forget about the crowd

my 2,000,000
Fantana +

Times thanked
<
My 2 cents:

At the end of the day, DJing is about mixing music and presenting music to a crowd. The majority of the crowd doesn't care if you rock vinyl, CD's or hit the sync button, all they will notice is the music (or your mistakes).

Despite this, I still expect DJ's in clubs to beatmatch simply because it is such a powerful tool in creating a flowing mix. I myself use CDJ's and vinyl on occasion, and learned to beatmatch/mix/build a set over time.

I think the future of DJing is in live performances using software such as Ableton and a controller. One man I have seen at an open decks night played a set consisting of loops taken from tracks and loops he produced himself. He used Ableton to launch loops and add sounds as he saw fit, giving him complete control of the beat, breakdowns, build-ups, basslines etc.
His set was exciting and innovative because he understood how to build up a track, and build up a set - this I think is the most important skill in DJing, no matter the method or format of your delivery.
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4 View Post

it's because you are using both sides of your brain to mix the vinyl

laptop djing only uses half of it, which goes some way to explain the prevalence of halfwit dj's in recent times

What a load of shit. So the guy Fantana saw playing a kickass Ableton set was using half his brain?
Radic +

Times thanked
<
auto sync when dj'ing is like driving a formula 1 car with an automatic transmission
Soundcloud
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
but the wicked bitchez you can haul with sync is all like

Tim-BO +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radic View Post

auto sync when dj'ing is like driving a formula 1 car with an automatic transmission

LMAO F1 cars DO have automatic transmission
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
Take the semi out of your pants and put in your post Tim.
You're getting over excited for some one who is a bit wrong.
Beats
DjDennis +

bloody work again - it never ends

Times thanked
<
now complain about this...

Club/Bar Dj Career Paths

Dj's who have survived the club circuit for ten or more years are usually on the back end of their careers,
because club life is a rush and it’s rarely a forever profession. Many smaller bar and club jocks will end up
becoming mobile Dj's, or filtering back into mainstream life doing something not even particularly Dj related.
The connections that a veteran big city club Dj has, provides opportunities to enter the record industry, the
promotion industry, or the club managing scene. In a way, being a club Dj is kind of like being in a
country club-type prison; it’s a prison you’d not want to be in.

As club and bar Dj's begin to gain experience, they gain valuable experience in all kinds of disciplines.
Resumes will grow with titles such as “Event Coordinator” and “Music Director.” Additionally, you’ll meet
people from all walks of life, and non-Dj people like to brag that they “know the Dj.” These fools,
most with “real” jobs, just might refer you for a certain job at some point in your career. Regardless,
nightclub and bar Dj's gain valuable experience that can be applied to countless other professions...

dont like what I have said then tough....
DjDennis

CEO - Director/Manager/Entertainment Director
(In this crazy business for over 38+ years)

new updated urls
http://www.trebleclefdj.com.au Main Site!
http://verifydj.trebleclefdj.com.au
http://www.djdennis.com.au
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
^^^

nah ... not so much don't like ... simply find it all irrelevant

again, whilst you see DJing as a money spinner and a "career", most of us here do it out of a passion for music.

You seriously have next to no grasp on what the majority of people here are about/

funkedub dot com

DjDennis +

Times thanked
<
thats why you have to work another job to be a dj, oh what a shame

have a nice day
DjDennis

new updated urls
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
<
why does everyone STILL fkn go on about beatmatching as such an awesome and enormous skill?

i bought turntables in 2000 - knew fuck all about music and could beatmatch all my records about 2 months later....its not hard. jesus.
Something Coming.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjDennis View Post

have a nice day

Oh noes, i have to work in a job i love, then get to DJ for the fun of it without having to resort to playing music that burns my soul.....how much my life sucks
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
DjDennis +

Times thanked
<
its because they have egos that wont die

so when real life hits then they may know what to do
but for some they have no idea
DjDennis

new updated urls
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjDennis View Post

I quite like keeping DJing as something i do for pleasure ... not as something i'm obliged to do week in week out to pay a mortgage or similar obligations. That situation would kill the passion for me ... kill the joy ... kill the spontaneity. It would result in me packing it in no time

i've given up a 3-4 night/month residency because it meant i was missing out on socialising and it was killing the fun for me.

You are seriously out of touch with the demographic and motivations of the people on this forum and you quite obviously don't realise or understand, and hence push your tiresome agenda in your posting here.

Have a nifty ol' day and may all your dreams come true

funkedub dot com

DjDennis +

Times thanked
<
thats why you certainly havent kept up as a proper Dj

thats it on discussing this seems you have your blinkers on like a lot have

have fun when it really counts... I do
DjDennis

new updated urls
Page 2 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »