Current Affairs and Politics

The other comedy featuring a bloke called Newman

Reply
  Tools
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

legal-affairs's Avatar
Joined
Apr '02
Times thanked
< 512
Posts
12,531
Really good (and very comprehensive or tl:dr depending on your perspective) article by Crikey's Poll Bludger, here:

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludg...or-used-to-be/
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
CheelWinston +

not a cop

CheelWinston's Avatar
Joined
May '01
Times thanked
< 1,962
Posts
13,472
good, I fucking hate that show

BRING BACK SIMPSONS CHANNEL 10
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,614
Posts
12,089
I love it when the fatalists bring out the hyperbole bbq. Them quotes sizzle. Cause they are so full of fat.

After the 2008 election, the Republicans were supposedly breathing their last gasps while suffocating. In Australia it was the Libs after 2007, when they had no one in Government. We have seen how those two predictions turned out: drowned in the bath-tub with only a rubber-duckie as witness.

And now all the Nostradamii have started singing the same tune about Labor. They aren't ones for keeping things in any kind of perspective these lot are they: all they see is over-sized, blurry facial features and miniature bodies - 'cause their brains are all fucked up distorted due the kool-aid thems be drinking.

This isn't to say Labor doesn't have issues (particularly state-wise in Qld and NSW) but fuck me, reading some of these dopes makes me want to slap-em round the face with some history books a few times. Fucking numpties.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm

Last edited by Geezah: 26-Mar-12 at 02:13pm

custaro +

Thirsty Critter

custaro's Avatar
Joined
Jun '01
Times thanked
< 669
Posts
7,408
The animal world isn't fooled by Newman.



you're in my hut now
custaro +

Thirsty Critter

custaro's Avatar
Joined
Jun '01
Times thanked
< 669
Posts
7,408
Also,

you're in my hut now
dAvoZ +

Registered Boozer

dAvoZ's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 30
Posts
5,579

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

Exactly - the problem with defying gravity and winning unwinnable elections is that you tend to get belted harder the next time around.

thwe ALP primary vote is looking like being a tick under 27%, which is not that much lower than the primary vote of the Libs and Nats in 2001 (which was a bit less than 28.5%) Granted, that was when One Nation was still polling solidly, but the Greens have picked up 5% since 2001 and the total "Other" (subtract One Nation, add KAP) was 20.1% in 2001 and was about 16.3% this election.

The main problem for Queensland is that there aren't enough Oppoisition members for a credible opposition - everyone will have to have two or three shadow portfolios which means there will be no proper oversight. What the ALP will do, if they are clever, is to set up portfolio committees of party members to operate as shadow ministers outside the Parliament, which will not only mean more hands to the pump, but will also revitalise the involvement of the base of the party. In saying that, they haven't shown many signs of being clever thus far.

In particular, I don't think it is clever for Blight to resign like this - at least wait 12 months for the people who were booted out to lick their wounds so that the ALP can work out who has the skills to lead the party through this period - that person should be the next candidate for South Brisbane.

maybe labor can find some more political staffers and union hacks to do the job?
seriously when are you guys going to field candidates outside of this field?
Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Vote Quimby's Avatar
Joined
Feb '04
Times thanked
< 1,905
Posts
8,473

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

In particular, I don't think it is clever for Blight to resign like this - at least wait 12 months for the people who were booted out to lick their wounds so that the ALP can work out who has the skills to lead the party through this period - that person should be the next candidate for South Brisbane.

She should be forced to pay all costs associated with the by-election. It's a joke that she resigned so quickly. At least step down as leader and serve your community for some time as you've mentioned. I'd be pretty pissed off if I'm in her riding and have to go to the polls again in a few months time.

There really needs to be some kind of rule in place that forces people to sit in parliament for a set period of time after an election, barring any medical reason why you can't serve. You shouldn't be able to quit just because your team lost.
tribalchris +

Vitreous-ic

tribalchris's Avatar
Joined
Nov '01
Times thanked
< 0
Posts
822
you all seem to be assuming that there weren't some pretty strong whispers in Bligh's ear from the party bosses... If I were a Labor honcho, I'd be pushing the clean slate approach (at least at the public face) right about now!


Vitreous : MySpace | Facebook | Beatport | Soundcloud | Traxsource

Vitreous & Segue, 'Pine', available now through Smash Bang Records!
Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Vote Quimby's Avatar
Joined
Feb '04
Times thanked
< 1,905
Posts
8,473

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalchris View Post

you all seem to be assuming that there weren't some pretty strong whispers in Bligh's ear from the party bosses... If I were a Labor honcho, I'd be pushing the clean slate approach (at least at the public face) right about now!

doesn't matter if there are whispers. If you run in an election, you should run with the intention of serving your term, regardless if your party wins government or not. You win your seat, you serve. Pretty simple. And if you're the leader just resign as leader and serve the community that elected you.
Nardo +

nobody's fault but yours

Nardo's Avatar
Joined
Feb '01
Times thanked
< 35
Posts
2,679
I just think no one in state labor wants the top job. I can't imagine how anyone could drag themselves put of bed each morning, face the cameras and put on farcical piece of theatre. It would have to be one of the worst and most pointless jobs in the ALP.

Yes Bligh resigning is bad. However her reputation as a liar is already sealed. The election is already well and truly decided. Her resigning makes no real difference. A comprehensive defeat isn't made worse by her going.

Meanwhile, Gillard was at pains to refer to 'Queensland Labor', as opposed to just plain old labor in her media appearance yesterday. She really seems to be pushing this idea that the Queensland defeat is a state issue in isolation.

Does she not understand the hatred (as Richo put it) that Queenslanders feel for her? Does she think that denying reality will get Queenslanders on side? By being pig headed, dismissive and incredibly arrogant like this, she is making her situation worse.

Queenslanders have sent her a message and not only won't she listen, she denies there is any message at all. Incredible.

The solution apparently is for us to see more of Julia up here and more federal labor politicians generally. As if the quantity of labor people here will somehow transform our political hatred of Julia and co. This is another example of arrogant stupidity.

If Julia wants to walk the streets of Brisbane and get abused by locals in front of the cameras then come on up. That's what will happen, guaranteed.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

legal-affairs's Avatar
Joined
Apr '02
Times thanked
< 512
Posts
12,531

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post

If Julia wants to walk the streets of Brisbane and get abused by locals in front of the cameras then come on up. That's what will happen, guaranteed.

Do you really count Clive Plamer as a Brisbane local these days?
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dero13 View Post

Agreed.

Wouldn't surprize me if Labor end up losing the seat now. Can't see how that attitude is doing the best for the party.

Not to mention it will cost the tax payer around $200 000 because she does not want to play anymore.

Way to go Anna you'll be remembered as a quitter!

Well im a South Brisbane voter and i didnt vote for Bligh. But if Labor put up a reasonable candidate i'll vote Labor purely because LNP doesnt need another seat...
I think its good she is resigning. The reason why i voted against her was so she would f*ck off...not so she hung around for the next 3 years.
The feds are kidding themselves if they think my vote in this election somehow is an endorsement of Abbott and the coalition...
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,614
Posts
12,089

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post


If Julia wants to walk the streets of Brisbane and get abused by locals in front of the cameras then come on up. That's what will happen, guaranteed.

I'd like to know what Gillard and Federal Labor have done to Queenslanders that would warrant such behaviour.

The only thing I can think of is the Carbon Price/Tax (which only the wealthy will be affected by after compensation). Even if it was conceded that she wifully, deliberately mislead the Australian public, that she lied, the lie isn't going to leave people worse off.

She beheaded Rudd. Ok, fair enough. It made me pretty angry that Gillard and Labor took the unprecedented step of ousting a first term PM. But PMs and Leaders are always having their heads cut-off in a messy public display. The King is Dead, and all that.

If anyone mentions the HIS or the BERS as a reason for Queenslander antipathy towards Gillard, then not withstanding the actual, small flaws in both schemes, most of the garbage flung at Labor is demonstrably false.

So, it must be the Carbon Tax and Rudd that means Queenslanders are so angry and hostile towards Gillard and Federal Labor. Time to get over it me thinks.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Weinertron's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 926
Posts
3,642
b... b... b.. but Gillard can't turn the boats around!!

Tony Can!

Fuck Everything Forever
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

b... b... b.. but Gillard can't turn the boats around!!

Tony Can!

Well actually boat arrivals dropped by 10% last year......

Maybe Tony would have stopped 11% then...
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
baax +

Registered User

baax's Avatar
Joined
Dec '03
Times thanked
< 621
Posts
7,715

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post


So, it must be the Carbon Tax and Rudd that means Queenslanders are so angry and hostile towards Gillard and Federal Labor. Time to get over it me thinks.

It isn't going to happen Geezah, she is going to lead the ALP out of power and even though it doesn't seem right to you those are the two main reasons. Newman campaigned against the carbon tax, he is going to have the cost of the tax highlighted on people's power bill, if they are out by even a few bucks after the compensation the ALP will drop even more support up here, and QLD is where it will be won or lost.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
becy +

is the rarity you find only when everything is correct

becy's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 1,458
Posts
28,117
Who gives a shit if boat people come to Australia. I've never understood the issue with that. Most illegal immigrants are New Zealanders or Brits who over stay their visa and work illegally. No one gets het up over them. I don't get it.
This is ITM
Home of the NSFW Nazis

Discuss snackfoods, bitch about the DJ Top100 Poll, or make mildly embarassing, banal admissions about your personal life.
WE'RE IN BEIGE COUNTRY NOW.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,614
Posts
12,089

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

It isn't going to happen Geezah, she is going to lead the ALP out of power and even though it doesn't seem right to you those are the two main reasons. Newman campaigned against the carbon tax, he is going to have the cost of the tax highlighted on people's power bill, if they are out by even a few bucks after the compensation the ALP will drop even more support up here, and QLD is where it will be won or lost.

And if they find it's all good, what will they complain about then?

Seems like people want to get angry about something that probably won't affect them in the future. That's weird.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by becy View Post

Who gives a shit if boat people come to Australia. I've never understood the issue with that. Most illegal immigrants are New Zealanders or Brits who over stay their visa and work illegally. No one gets het up over them. I don't get it.

Agreed completely.

The entire nation was founded on boat people. And not just boat people fleeing persecution, we actually got the criminal dregs of Britain sent here.

Maybe the reason people are upset is because getting people migrating for reasons other than legal exile is raising the bar too high for other Australians?
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
Nardo +

nobody's fault but yours

Nardo's Avatar
Joined
Feb '01
Times thanked
< 35
Posts
2,679
geezah i don't think queenslanders think federal and state labor are exactly the same, but they don't consider them to be completely different either.

costs of living are a raw nerve here. my power, water, rego, rates and public transport costs are all ridiculous. lets face it, brisbane is no tokyo or new york, so why are we paying top dollar by international standards to live in a place next to a shitty brown river with humidity like a sauna?

my personal theory is that on one hand people whinge about costs of living endlessly, however when they see that Brisbane is one of the most expensive cities on the planet, they have a bizarre sense of pride. "well we must be in the same league as New York City if our CBD parking / power, water, transport etc is higher".

people really are that stupid. brisbane has it's good points, but there's no way in hell anyone can justify the prices you find here.

so lets start thinking about the carbon tax from the point of view of people who are already well and truly sick of being shafted by all levels of government. we have zero tolerance for it, and even with compensation we will still claim our costs of living are out of control, because they are.

i don't think many people have the financial nous, patience or interest to examine the quantum of each bill and allocate blame accordingly. they just know they are low on cash and they blame everyone collectively. the carbon tax is a very big and very public target.

so if the alp wants to have any chance of doing well in qld, they will stop focussing on the way our mindset should be, and start accepting reality and change their policies accordingly.
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
< 760
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post

geezah i don't think queenslanders think federal and state labor are exactly the same, but they don't consider them to be completely different either.

costs of living are a raw nerve here. my power, water, rego, rates and public transport costs are all ridiculous. lets face it, brisbane is no tokyo or new york, so why are we paying top dollar by international standards to live in a place next to a shitty brown river with humidity like a sauna?

my personal theory is that on one hand people whinge about costs of living endlessly, however when they see that Brisbane is one of the most expensive cities on the planet, they have a bizarre sense of pride. "well we must be in the same league as New York City if our CBD parking / power, water, transport etc is higher".

people really are that stupid. brisbane has it's good points, but there's no way in hell anyone can justify the prices you find here.

so lets start thinking about the carbon tax from the point of view of people who are already well and truly sick of being shafted by all levels of government. we have zero tolerance for it, and even with compensation we will still claim our costs of living are out of control, because they are.

i don't think many people have the financial nous, patience or interest to examine the quantum of each bill and allocate blame accordingly. they just know they are low on cash and they blame everyone collectively. the carbon tax is a very big and very public target.

so if the alp wants to have any chance of doing well in qld, they will stop focussing on the way our mindset should be, and start accepting reality and change their policies accordingly.

Like making everything cheaper for Brisbanites. Because that's what Campbell Newman will do. Introduce the Everything Will Be Cheaper in Brisbane Act. And hey presto you guys will live like kings and queens, instead of the abject poverty you struggle with now. You'll be able to swap the Holden King Cabs for BMWs (they'll have to change the tax break first though).

Do you not see how a government can't do that? Do you not understand that Abbott has a direct action policy for the same amount of carbon reduction that will be funded by taxes? Are Queenslanders really that stupid? I mean, you would have to be really really stupid to think that Abbott's carbon policy is not more expensive than Gillards. And you would have to be a complete idiot to think western capitalist governments are in any way capable of substantially reducing the cost of living. I'm sure you're smarter than that Nardo.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,614
Posts
12,089

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post

geezah i don't think queenslanders think federal and state labor are exactly the same, but they don't consider them to be completely different either.

costs of living are a raw nerve here. my power, water, rego, rates and public transport costs are all ridiculous. lets face it, brisbane is no tokyo or new york, so why are we paying top dollar by international standards to live in a place next to a shitty brown river with humidity like a sauna?

my personal theory is that on one hand people whinge about costs of living endlessly, however when they see that Brisbane is one of the most expensive cities on the planet, they have a bizarre sense of pride. "well we must be in the same league as New York City if our CBD parking / power, water, transport etc is higher".

people really are that stupid. brisbane has it's good points, but there's no way in hell anyone can justify the prices you find here.

so lets start thinking about the carbon tax from the point of view of people who are already well and truly sick of being shafted by all levels of government. we have zero tolerance for it, and even with compensation we will still claim our costs of living are out of control, because they are.

i don't think many people have the financial nous, patience or interest to examine the quantum of each bill and allocate blame accordingly. they just know they are low on cash and they blame everyone collectively. the carbon tax is a very big and very public target.

so if the alp wants to have any chance of doing well in qld, they will stop focussing on the way our mindset should be, and start accepting reality and change their policies accordingly.

Governments can do almost nothing to help with cost of living other than provide tax rebates and compensation, and manage the economy to put downward pressure on inflation, which the Labor Government is managing just fine at the mo (to my understanding).[And none of that (other than squashing inflation) has any effect on actual prices].

Electricity is going up because of a lack of investment in privately owned electricity infrastructure, not because of the carbon tax. Electricity bills will go up further under the carbon tax and the government is going to compensate consumers, not the polluters, because of this - they have been very open about this though. Polluters have the incentive of getting market share by reducing their CO2 emissions, thus reducing their prices, and claiming more consumers.

No disrespect, but if people aren't going to at least try and find out what it all means they are being wilfully ignorant at the very least, and in all likelihood, just plain stupid for not actually taking the time out to find out about things that affect them.

Who gets shafted in this country on a personal level (I'm not talking about the privatisation fetish both sides of parliament are into)? Honestly. I'm not saying there aren't any issues out there, or people shouldn't be concerned by cost of living increases but it is not governmental activity that is causing price rises (but it is falling to government to re-circulate tax revenue in compensation to make up for the private sector's shitness).

Commodity speculation, futures trading, and under-investment in critical infrastructure by private companies is what is fucking us on that shit.

edit: basically what CG just said.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm

Last edited by Geezah: 27-Mar-12 at 05:17pm

horst +

Registered User

horst's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 407
Posts
5,408

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post

so lets start thinking about the carbon tax from the point of view of people who are already well and truly sick of being shafted by all levels of government. we have zero tolerance for it, and even with compensation we will still claim our costs of living are out of control, because they are.

It'll be fascinating to see how Campbell Newman is going to fix this real imagined cost of living pressure.
becy +

is the rarity you find only when everything is correct

becy's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 1,458
Posts
28,117
I just moved to Brisbane from Melbourne. I find the cost of living to be comparable, except with rent, where Brisbane is cheaper.
This is ITM
Home of the NSFW Nazis

Discuss snackfoods, bitch about the DJ Top100 Poll, or make mildly embarassing, banal admissions about your personal life.
WE'RE IN BEIGE COUNTRY NOW.
custaro +

Thirsty Critter

custaro's Avatar
Joined
Jun '01
Times thanked
< 669
Posts
7,408
I remember my parents complaining about the constant increases in their power bill in the mid '80s. The notion that cost of living is increasing at a significantly faster rate than it has in the past is such a fucking furphy, the amount of whingeing about it makes me ill.
phoneyhuh +

3o~

phoneyhuh's Avatar
Joined
Jul '01
Times thanked
< 203
Posts
8,023

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

And if they find it's all good, what will they complain about then?

Seems like people want to get angry about something that probably won't affect them in the future. That's weird.

I think a lot of people are pissed off because they were lied to and they feel cheated, irrespective of whether it affects them or not. Just a hunch.
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
< 760
Posts
4,157
is it any wonder though? I'm sure I don't need to say this but I will anyway. Commercial media. Relentless news items about how bad everything is, and about how it's Labor's fault. This side by side with adverts imploring you to buy things, which sit up against advertorial about renovations, new cars and new TVs; interspersed with articles on how the very rich spend their money and what new houses they are buying; inserted with travel features about skiing Niseko.
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
< 760
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

I think a lot of people are pissed off because they were lied to and they feel cheated, irrespective of whether it affects them or not. Just a hunch.

A lie, or a non-core promise? If it's OK for Howard it's OK for Gillard. And fuck all people were even aware of that interview until after the election anyway and the election was not fought on a carbon price. And it's not a fucking tax. It was mainly fought on the fictive boat people problem and the fictive notion that Labor politicians are born to raise interest rates.

You talk about lying - the Liberals are merchants of bullshit.

How to whip up mindless anger 101. Are the Liberals that good, or is the electorate fucking stupid? How sweet to be an idiot?
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726
I actually didn't vote Labor as a result of Gillard saying they weren't going to bring in a Carbon tax.

I'm glad the Labor government took their failure to get a majority in Parliament as exactly what it was, myself and thousands of other Australians telling them we wouldn't vote for them unless they stuck to the original plan.

On the other hand did a single person in the country whinging about the "lie" actually vote Labor? I doubt it - they are all rusted on Liberal voters.

The Labor Government was just acknowledging they would have won the election outright if they had stuck with their guns as was clearly shown by the increased Greens vote.

See - Democracy works.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
RunningWithScissors +

THE KING OF THE NORTH

RunningWithScissors's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
< 18,520
Posts
24,346
if Australian voters didn't want a carbon tax they shouldn't have collectively created a situation where Labor would be forced into a semi-Coalition with the Greens

on the other hand if inthemix posters don't want to talk about Campbell Newman they shouldn't be posting in the Campbell Newman thread
THE COOLEST HOBBY
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Dero13's Avatar
Joined
May '10
Times thanked
< 1,272
Posts
5,175
Thread title doesn't make sense?
RunningWithScissors +

THE KING OF THE NORTH

RunningWithScissors's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
< 18,520
Posts
24,346
idk the election result was pretty funny
THE COOLEST HOBBY
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687
"boat arrivals will always be lower under a coaltion government"
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post

so if the alp wants to have any chance of doing well in qld, they will stop focussing on the way our mindset should be, and start accepting reality and change their policies accordingly.

Nardo, what policies is Abbott suggesting that would lower the cost of living?

My partner has moved up from Melbourne to live and says it is cheaper up here. Electricity is much less, rent is less. Little everyday things are less...like late fees on DVDs [something like $2 vs $20 and she ALWaYS returns them late ]
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
dAvoZ +

Registered Boozer

dAvoZ's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 30
Posts
5,579
you can certainly have an impact on cost of living by running an efficient government and keeping government charges (rego, water, electricity, duties) as low as possible.

unfortunately this government spent spent spent, lost our AAA credit rating while jacking up any and all charges/taxes they could.

so keep crying about labor and the greens getting fuck all votes if you want, but the people have spoken.
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

wilsonrob's Avatar
Joined
Apr '08
Times thanked
< 339
Posts
2,780

Quote:

Originally Posted by becy View Post

Who gives a shit if boat people come to Australia. I've never understood the issue with that. Most illegal immigrants are New Zealanders or Brits who over stay their visa and work illegally. No one gets het up over them. I don't get it.

Becy, NZers don't need a work visa, we can stay here as long as we want.
"...and I know that I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with. And I know that given the choice I probably wouldn't have chosen you as friends but I just wanna say that over the years I've come to regard you as........ people I met."
- Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf.
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAvoZ View Post

you can certainly have an impact on cost of living by running an efficient government and keeping government charges (rego, water, electricity, duties) as low as possible.

unfortunately this government spent spent spent, lost our AAA credit rating while jacking up any and all charges/taxes they could.

so keep crying about labor and the greens getting fuck all votes if you want, but the people have spoken.

Do you even read before you post? If you did you would know who I voted for you numbskull
State government doesn't own the electricity plants.
federal government can't do anything but keep inflation low and unemployment high which it has, while tax as a % of GDP is less now than under Howard
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
becy +

is the rarity you find only when everything is correct

becy's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 1,458
Posts
28,117

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonrob View Post

Becy, NZers don't need a work visa, we can stay here as long as we want.


you SRS!?!?!?! what the fuck are we doing allowing that.



Just kidding, sorry to get that wrong!
This is ITM
Home of the NSFW Nazis

Discuss snackfoods, bitch about the DJ Top100 Poll, or make mildly embarassing, banal admissions about your personal life.
WE'RE IN BEIGE COUNTRY NOW.
Nardo +

nobody's fault but yours

Nardo's Avatar
Joined
Feb '01
Times thanked
< 35
Posts
2,679
Lowkey, Abbott isn't promising much. He doesn't have to. In fact, if he wants to win the election one way to do it would be to say very little, keep a low profile and watch the ALP destroy itself.

The Melbourne example on costs is valid. Melbourne is recognized as being more expensive in surveys. However as a city Melbourne is very different. The concept of the inner city green voter base is very true for Melbourne compared to Brisbane for example. Those people don't complain about the carbon tax.

My observation would be that the average ITM poster has little in common with the average queensland voter. Queenslanders see a state that should be doing far better than it is. Beleive it or not, a lot of my friends are lefties, however most people I talk to outside of my social circle are full of rage about labor. State, federal, everywhere.

The thing that does labor no favors, is this paternalistic attitude. The view seems to be that labor knows best, is more intelligent and more entitled to an opinion. They want to get us to swallow our medicine even if we hate it, because they know what is good for us better than we do.

That my friend is political suicide. It's patronizing and that is one of the core flaws of modern labor.

Patronizing is saying that Queenslanders are smart enough to separate staff and federal issues.

Patronizing is saying that we need more gillard in Queensland and more federal politicians to visit us. As if we don't like them just because we haven't had enough of a chance to be amazed by their presence and magnetic personality.

Patronizing is when you dismiss genuine concerns about the economy by talking up the mining boom. It's particularly patronizing in Queensland given we should be a prime example of economic success, but we have the highest mainland unemployment.

For a party based on the little guy, the worker and not the inner city intellectual, labor is shithouse and shows no signs of changing any time soon. Gillard is the most stubborn, arrogant and closed minded labor leader I have ever seen. Her ability to ignore and dismiss the Queensland result is absolutely staggering. That in itself will make Queenslanders even more angry with labor.

If labor people listened to people like me more often they would have a much better chance of winning elections.
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

wilsonrob's Avatar
Joined
Apr '08
Times thanked
< 339
Posts
2,780

Quote:

Originally Posted by becy View Post

you SRS!?!?!?! what the fuck are we doing allowing that.



Just kidding, sorry to get that wrong!


The 7 strayans that move to NZ each year get the same rights.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

jdoodle's Avatar
Joined
Nov '01
Times thanked
< 2,122
Posts
16,713

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post

Lowkey, Abbott isn't promising much. .

bullshit
he is promising to repeal (which he wont be able to do) the price on carbon and the mining profits tax, but not repeal any of the benefits we get from those two things, so in other words, those who can do maths realise he is full of shit. So I guess you are saying that the average queenslander sucks at maths
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
becy +

is the rarity you find only when everything is correct

becy's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 1,458
Posts
28,117
Anyway i can't think of an example of a tax once instated being repealed. There is no way he will do that.
This is ITM
Home of the NSFW Nazis

Discuss snackfoods, bitch about the DJ Top100 Poll, or make mildly embarassing, banal admissions about your personal life.
WE'RE IN BEIGE COUNTRY NOW.
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post

Lowkey, Abbott isn't promising much. He doesn't have to. In fact, if he wants to win the election one way to do it would be to say very little, keep a low profile and watch the ALP destroy itself.

The Melbourne example on costs is valid. Melbourne is recognized as being more expensive in surveys. However as a city Melbourne is very different. The concept of the inner city green voter base is very true for Melbourne compared to Brisbane for example. Those people don't complain about the carbon tax.

My observation would be that the average ITM poster has little in common with the average queensland voter. Queenslanders see a state that should be doing far better than it is. Beleive it or not, a lot of my friends are lefties, however most people I talk to outside of my social circle are full of rage about labor. State, federal, everywhere.

The thing that does labor no favors, is this paternalistic attitude. The view seems to be that labor knows best, is more intelligent and more entitled to an opinion. They want to get us to swallow our medicine even if we hate it, because they know what is good for us better than we do.

That my friend is political suicide. It's patronizing and that is one of the core flaws of modern labor.

Patronizing is saying that Queenslanders are smart enough to separate staff and federal issues.

Patronizing is saying that we need more gillard in Queensland and more federal politicians to visit us. As if we don't like them just because we haven't had enough of a chance to be amazed by their presence and magnetic personality.

Patronizing is when you dismiss genuine concerns about the economy by talking up the mining boom. It's particularly patronizing in Queensland given we should be a prime example of economic success, but we have the highest mainland unemployment.

For a party based on the little guy, the worker and not the inner city intellectual, labor is shithouse and shows no signs of changing any time soon. Gillard is the most stubborn, arrogant and closed minded labor leader I have ever seen. Her ability to ignore and dismiss the Queensland result is absolutely staggering. That in itself will make Queenslanders even more angry with labor.

If labor people listened to people like me more often they would have a much better chance of winning elections.

But Nardo, you havent listed 1 policy that Abbott will introduce that will lower the cost of living...which you said was everyone's number 1 concern.

Raising the company tax by 1.5 points or 5% for big and medium sized businesses tp provide maternity leave isnt going to reduce the cost of living. ITS A GREAT BIG NEW TAX ON EVERYTHING. An instant 5% increase in costs to business, passed onto the consumer with no compensation...unless you have a baby.

The direct action plan is going to cost more to taxpayers than the Carbon tax. A whole new department will be established along with the Green corps.

Repealing the mining tax while keeping the superannuation increase will put pressure on the budget.

A couple of things Labor actually has done recently that will help is to increase the tax free threshold to $25k. Definitely helps the lower end with cost of living pressures. Also the ability to get an instant tax rebate by ticking a box on your tax return and not having to pay an accountant a couple of hundred bucks to do it.

Im not arguing government can solve all the cost of living issues because they actually arent caused by government. Rents are high because property prices are high and therefore interest repayments are high...maybe you could blame Howard for the increase in property prices...but only for a portion. As i said previously Labor has kept unemployment low, inflation low and interest rates low...those three things have an impact on cost of living.

Again, what policies does Abbott have to solve your problems? If the answer is none, then I dont see the point in changing.
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
< 760
Posts
4,157
but Nardo, the problem is you do need parenting. Time after time you demonstrate such a poor grasp of nearly everything. Hey, if you represent the average Queenslander then you guys really do deserve Noddy and the Mad Monk. The painful thing is you are imposing the Mad Monk and his band of dysfunctional zealots on the rest of us. It's a shame you guys didn't secede when Bjelke-Petersen ran your State.
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687
nah...you southern states are bludging off us and stealing our resources taxes
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
CheelWinston +

not a cop

CheelWinston's Avatar
Joined
May '01
Times thanked
< 1,962
Posts
13,472

Quote:

Originally Posted by horst View Post

It'll be fascinating to see how Campbell Newman is going to fix this real imagined cost of living pressure.


the media will stop reporting on it

BOOM.

fixed.
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
becy +

is the rarity you find only when everything is correct

becy's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 1,458
Posts
28,117
You're all talking about this like you are in a world where politicians keep their election promises...
This is ITM
Home of the NSFW Nazis

Discuss snackfoods, bitch about the DJ Top100 Poll, or make mildly embarassing, banal admissions about your personal life.
WE'RE IN BEIGE COUNTRY NOW.
CheelWinston +

not a cop

CheelWinston's Avatar
Joined
May '01
Times thanked
< 1,962
Posts
13,472

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post

Patronizing is saying that Queenslanders are smart enough to separate staff and federal issues.

did I just read that

wat
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687
^they are taking the piss out of us queenslanders trying to label us...as smart. thats patronising to us...we hate smart people up here
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
Nardo +

nobody's fault but yours

Nardo's Avatar
Joined
Feb '01
Times thanked
< 35
Posts
2,679
Well you guys are right. I finally admit it.

People will see that labor is in fact the better party at the federal level and they will change their minds. The electorate will embrace the carbon tax and actually start to proclaim how little it has impacted their famiy budgets and how it was the morally right thing to do. The compensation package was awesome after all. Gillard will stage a history making comeback and be worshipped as a labor hero after winning the next election.

And you guys will have been right on this all along. That's going to be super. Because having an opinion on politics which is grounded in reality, rather than Nardo's right wing fantasy, is ultimately satisfying. In fact it proves your intellectual credibility.

I'm so glad I now agree with you lowkey, Claude et al. Howard sucks, gillard is mega awesome, carbon tax is good, news ltd is evil, voters are smart and will change their minds....yada, yada, yada. Go team.
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts