Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowk View Post

Slowly getting through my first playthrough it. My thoughts so far:

Positives:
It looks so pretty, but doesn't need epic processing/GFX power to do so.
Soundtrack is amazing (I've had some of it stuck in my head for two days now)
Voice acting seems better than the previous games
Combat has been refined heaps and is much more fluid and fun
Great story which you can immerse yourself as much or as little in as you want
Renegade/Paragon interrupts are back
Super tough choices at times
Wrex, Jack and EDI

Negatives:
I don't like the way they've incorporated the various characters but only given you a core group of squad mates that you don't get any choice in (aside from maybe Ashley/Kaidan). I'd have preferred something like a maximum squad size that can join you on the Normandy (say 6) but you get to choose from the various characters you meet along the way as to who actually joins you (e.g., I wouldn't bother with James, but would so have taken Jack or Wrex). Similar to how ME1 worked (e.g. in ME1 you didn't have to bring Garrus, you could finish the game without ever even meeting him).

Not enough ME2 character involvement - goes along with the point above. I feel like I got to know/like all these characters only to get a token mission with them and then they bugger off.

Ashley is still an annoying bitch.

Missions feel shorter than in ME1 and ME2 - though there seems to be more of them, so it balances out.

A few too many of those "go to this cluster and scan this planet to find this thing" missions.

The differences between difficulty levels are quite marked which gets a bit frustrating when you're trying to find the right balance between fun and challenge. E.g. on normal with a Shepard I imported from ME1/ME2 I can blitz through the opposition because he is so epicly powered up, but then on Hardcore I die over and over and over.

Agree with the negatives. Not nearly enough choice in squad members, currently I've only got EDI, Garrus, James and Liara. Ashley is crook in hospital. No Krogan, no crazy biotic, no psychotic sniper assassin. ME2 feels like a waste of time.

With difficulty I find on normal I'm fine with most of the fights except when they drop something like those enormous armoured reaper things. Get the feeling that I'd be ok on the next level up most of the time but then there'll be points where it'll be ridiculously hard and thus not that fun, which is a shame.

Also wish the run and roll buttons were different. Run along, try to dodge enemy...bollocks he just ran into them. Gah!
Kill Whitey +

Times thanked
< 327
James is the worst. Such a bland character.

I wish there was an option to execute him on the bridge of the Normandy at the beginning of the game ,as an example to all crew who might dare question my orders.
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 507
^^ Yeah, he is boring as batshit.

Am I the only one who finds Banshees super unnerving? I mean yeah all the Reaper enemies are kinda grotesque, but that scream

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
< 2,549
Yeah they're farked.
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507
Every time I hear it all I can think is "fuck. Run. RUN."

Quote:

Kill Whitey +

Times thanked
< 327
Mostly I find them pretty easy. They're only real fuckers when they're close. And as a vanguard, if they do get close and you feel your about to get raped you can just pick a nice easy target further away and biotic charge to safety.
legless +

MaryLewd

Times thanked
< 1,089
Yeh Banshees are awesome
I’m a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women, and breakfast food.
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kill Whitey View Post

Mostly I find them pretty easy. They're only real fuckers when they're close. And as a vanguard, if they do get close and you feel your about to get raped you can just pick a nice easy target further away and biotic charge to safety.

Yeah fighting them isn't that bad, I just meant moreso how freaky they sound (and look). The scream is really unnerving, and the way they just lumber around with a dead look in their eyes is all kinds of wrong. Sends chills down my spine.

I think the hardest enemies are the Ravagers or the Atlas, those fuckers can pretty much take you down with a single shot on hardcore difficulty.

Quote:

legless +

MaryLewd

Times thanked
< 1,089
Ravagers and Atlas are pretty easy as a sniper, I find the Banshees are the hardest, just because of that flashing towards you really quickly.
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by legless View Post

Ravagers and Atlas are pretty easy as a sniper, I find the Banshees are the hardest, just because of that flashing towards you really quickly.

I find having Liara in your squad helps with Banshees, because she can nail them with Warp if they get to close while you retreat. James also comes in handy with his Carnage/Frag Grenade (that's about the only time I would give James any sort of props).

I think I'll end up finishing it tonight, I'm up to the last mission now. Curious to see what the ending is like, all I read/hear is how terrible it is (I haven't actually read/heard WHAT the ending is so please don't spoil it for me, just that there's been lots of outcry over it).

Quote:

Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,516
Having Liara in your squad helps with everything, that's why I always had her in there.
If you don't like Banshees, wait until the very last fight you have. That shit is fucked up.

If you finish tonight, go back through this thread and read the spoilers, then post your thoughts please.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,524

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

If you finish tonight, go back through this thread and read the spoilers, then post your thoughts please.

in spoiler. some people are taking forever to finish.
red is the new blu
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Having Liara in your squad helps with everything, that's why I always had her in there.

For reals. Liara is the bomb. And kinda hot, for a blue chick with tentacles on her head.

I'm actually a little disappointed the series is over once I finish ME3 (and the DLC that they are supposedly releasing). I came to like a lot of those characters.

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,880

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverspoon View Post

in spoiler. some people are taking forever to finish.

some of us started it a couple of weeks after you lot

i just bonked a blue chick again and am now raiding the bus depot. I guess i'll finish it tonight
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

i just bonked a blue chick again and am now raiding the bus depot. I guess i'll finish it tonight

Bus depot?

Speaking of romances:

Spoiler:
Jack brings the lols

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,880
yeah the cerberbus

haven't quite finished it yet
Spoiler:
just made it to the citadel at the end
who gives a fuck what the ending is like.. the leadup to it feels like the ending sequence and is one of the most epic battles ever in gaming history
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507
Okay, finished. I even went back and loaded the last bit to do the different endings just to get an idea of what can happen.

My thoughts:
Spoiler:
It's okay. It's not utter shit like so many people have been saying, but it's a bit unfulfilling. Firstly, I'd have liked some kind of epic battle before you go through the fifteen minutes of cut scenes, explanations and conversation decisions. It felt a little anti-climactic that the last thing I did was blow up some Reaper ground forces before the ending. The final battles in ME1 and ME2 were better.

As for the actual ending(s) and what they mean...I liked the message they carried: "what constitutes life and who even has the right to answer that question?", which is something that had kind of been floating about as a theme in all three games with the whole Geth thing and also EDI. But I didn't like how there was absolutely no explanation of what happened to anyone you met along the way...did they die while fighting? Did they survive? What happened to say Liara who was on Earth with you when the Mass Relays got destroyed? Does that mean she'll never return to Asari space?

I also didn't like how in the last five minutes of the game you now learn that there is something even bigger than the Reapers controlling them, but you don't get any sort of explanation of what it is, other than it made the Reapers so as to stop synthetics built by organics destroying the organics. But then the question is: this synthetic which designed the Reapers...was it originally designed by an organic race that it rebelled against? It's a really bizarre, circular kind of ending.

I did like shooting The Illusive Man though. Uppity **** finally got what he deserved.

I know most people have said the ending is what they hated most about the game, but personally I was more disappointed by how little of the ME2 characters there was.

Edit: but you know what, even with those complaints, it was still fucking epic and I loved playing it. I loved watching all the minute changes in the dialogue etc based on the decisions I made in ME1 and ME2, loved the combat (fuck those Banshees), loved the various missions, loved the "are you fkn kidding me?" decisions you had to make. Those things more than made up for the couple of bits that were not that good.

Quote:

Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Spoiler:
1. We've built up to this for years. And all we get is a 5 minute conversation with the star child.
2. I just reunited the geth and quarians, and taught EDI how to become truly alive, but he tells me that organics and synthetics will always be in conflict.
3. How did the protheans know about the catalyst, and where it was? And what did the crucible do?
6. The choices suck. I become God, kill synthetics, or fuse organics and synthetics. The last one is probably the best, but shits me. Javik tells me we are great because we are different, yet we all have to become the same?

Yeah, those bits kinda bugged me too.

Quote:

Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambuca View Post

Spoiler:
I assumed it was the Catalyst that designed the Crucible in the first place? Why would you ever design something to destroy yourself?

Spoiler:

Nah, it was the organic civilisations that were being harvested by Reapers that designed bits of the crucible in each cycle. Javik explains that at some point, and also mentions that the Protheans discovered the Catalyst and realised its importance in the Crucible. That's about the most you get by way of an explanation, though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambuca

Spoiler:
Also, the cycle occurs to maintain control? The Reapers are required to clear out all biological life lest biological life make the mistake of creating synthetic life that will eventually destroy bio life anyways? Is this correct? Seems redudant.

Spoiler:
The purpose of the cycle is to allow organic life to exist in the future. If the cycle didn't exist, the synthetics that organics create would totally wipe them out and there would be NO organic life (e.g. in the example of this cycle: the Geth might wipe out absolutely everyone, not just the Quarians). The "cycle" involves harvesting the highly evolved organics of each cycle so that they still exist in some form (existing in "Reaper" form is better than not existing at all seems to be the Child's reasoning), while then allowing the primitive organics to evolve further. If the cycle didn't exist, then synthetics which are created by organics would just wipe out EVERYONE. It paints the Child (and therefore the Reapers) as somewhat benevolent, in the end.

As I posted earlier, though, who created the synthetics that the child belongs to?!

Also, judging by what the Child says, the cycle is only in place as a temporary measure until the final step of evolution which is synthesis of organics and synthetics. That bit made no sense to me though.

Quote:

Last edited by Wowk: 30-Mar-12 at 02:50am

Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507
Re: the ending

Spoiler:
You do have to wonder, when they finished making the game and wrote the ending etc, did they think "wow...this is potentially going to piss off a LOT of people"? Or did they think it was genuinely an awesome ending?

Like I've said, I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it was weird, and didn't feel right. Upon reflection, I liked the message it tried to carry, but was thoroughly underwhelmed by its execution and its almost insulting lack of closure/proper explanation. I've had a fairly restrained response to the ending compared to what else I've read/watched on YouTube, so I really can't imagine Casey Hudson and co. thinking that it was actually a great ending? Especially since they were responsible for the utter awesomeness of everything else that came before that last ten minutes...You have to wonder if it's all been planned this way.

Oh well. Bring on more Commander Shepard!

Quote:

Last edited by Wowk: 30-Mar-12 at 02:52am

jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
got this game for my bday yesterday. will be hitting it up this weekend.
http://soundcloud.com/jarrardscott
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Don't worry mate, you're not alone, I haven't even seen a Banshee yet and just finished the Tuchanka missions.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,524
For those who have finished, this is a pretty good read.

Last edited by silverspoon: 30-Mar-12 at 02:38pm

Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507
Spoiler:
For those who haven't read/heard about it, there is a theory growing called "Indoctrination Theory" which suggests that the endings make perfect sense if Shepard was in fact indoctrinated. This guy does a pretty good explanation of it and points out all the various hints along the way.

Media Player

If this IS actually what has happened (i.e., Shepard is indoctrinated), then frankly I give Bioware ten million thumbs
up, because that is some of the cleverest shit I have ever seen in a game's storytelling, ever.

The sheer bullshit amount of detail that would have to go into making sure all those tiny little hints coherently came together when people inevitably analysed them is a credit to micro-storytelling.

Quote:

Last edited by Wowk: 30-Mar-12 at 02:46pm

Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507
Another video explaining what I posted above, this one is better.

Spoiler:
Media Player

With all that in mind, I'm glad I stuck to my guns the first time I had to make the final decision and said "FUCK YOU REAPERS" and destroyed them (I went back and watched the other endings out of curiosity, but my first choice was "destroy").

I didn't really have all those clues in my mind as I made the choice (some I was like "oooooh yeah that happened in ME1/ME2" as I watched the video, and I can't say the indoctrination theory even crossed my mind once until I read about it), but I guess the other two options just didn't feel "right". Destroying the Reapers felt like the right choice the first time I came to the ending.

The more I read/watch about this theory, the more I think it might well be what they had intended all along, in which case, that is super fucking awesome writing. And I resisted indoctrination. Fuck yeah.

Quote:

Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507
One more thought:

Spoiler:
Let's say all this indoctrination stuff is right (or something else is the case), the "real" ending was never meant to happen on your first playthrough and was always coming as a DLC blah blah blah...

It'll be interesting to see/read how many people turn around and change their opinion from "Bioware are such assholes they totally ruined the ME universe, they should hang their heads in shame etc" to "Bioware are fucking brilliant, that was some of the most inspired storytelling and marketing EVER". Not to mention how many who think them starting a petition is what resulted in the additional changes (when in fact Bioware were always going to do it anyway, and probably sat there having a right good chuckle at all the raging that went on).

I predict 95% of the people on the Bioware forums who were personally insulting Bioware team members, slamming the game for sucking because of the ending will turn around and be all like "OMG THAT WAS SO AMAZING!". I'll admit, the first time the final cut scene ended I thought "that's it? I don't get it...that doesn't seem like a fitting conclusion to three games that were otherwise written absolutely brilliantly...that ending seems like it was written in less time than it actually lasts for", but I didn't rage against Bioware (I was more disappointed/let down than angry). And once I did some research, I genuinely think that they intended this all along, and I give them epic high fives for that.

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,880
So I finished it. I actually kinda liked the ending. NFI what you ****s are all whinging about

Spoiler:
chose the middle option. the merger

i'll reload and do the other two

now i'm going to go read all your spoilers
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,880

Quote:

Only read if finished! DO NOT GLANCE.

Spoiler:
LOL! Boy is Nismo going to be disappointed!

Quote:

Spoiler:
yep, poor bastard. this is like watching a car crash in slow motion

you two both failed in your assumptions
Spoiler:
i'll still go back and play from the beginning to choose different paths. They do affect the other games & the turn of events, even if they don't greatly affect the ending it'll still change the ride quite a lot

i enjoyed it.
Spoiler:
Sure it didn't pan out as i felt it would but it wasn't a completely random idea out of nowhere. It had some credit to making you realise the reapers weren't the controlling force in the universe and that there was something much bigger than them.

you can all speculate on shit til the cows come home. Doesn't change the fact that this is what happens in the story.

put me down as not disappointed
Spoiler:
though i was a bit shitty at the 3 choice ending. It was a fair copout with some pretty shit options
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

So I finished it. I actually kinda liked the ending. NFI what you ****s are all whinging about

Spoiler:
chose the middle option. the merger

i'll reload and do the other two

now i'm going to go read all your spoilers

Spoiler:
If you follow the indoctrination theory, you failed the galaxy

Quote:

legless +

MaryLewd

Times thanked
< 1,089
Spoiler:
I destroyed em, though pretty much had nfi what I was doing anyway. Confused. Glad its over

Spoiler:
until Mass Effect 4 inevitably comes out
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
fail, bought my character in from ME2. said that i let wrex die.
um i never played ME1. wtf.

i dont get to see wrex
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

fail, bought my character in from ME2. said that i let wrex die.
um i never played ME1. wtf.

i dont get to see wrex

The whole thing is fail, I'm soooo bored with my squad.

Look at ME2 -

Snipers - Garrus and Thane
Biotics - Samara, Jack, Miranda
Techs - Mordin, Tali, Legion
Soldiers - Jacob, Grunt

1 x Turian, 1 x Asari, 1 x Salarian, 1 x Krogan, 1 x Geth, 1 x Drell, 1 x Quarian, 3 x Human (of which 1 is a psycho and the other a cold genetic creation)

ME3 -

Snipers - Garrus
Biotics - Liara
Techs - Tali, EDI
Soliders - James, Ashley

1 x Turan, 1 x Robot, 1 x Asari, 1 x Quarian, 2 x Human (both boring as fuck)

There is simply nothing more disappointing that the lack of variety, ME2 had so many interesting characters, this lot I don't care about, there isn't even much story with any of them as far as I can tell.

I'm playing this purely as a shooter now, there's really no RPG element. So it's fine as a Gears of War clone but it's not really an ME game IMO.
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
fuck you whinge alot dubz
ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
< 2,549
Yes. He does.
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

fuck you whinge alot dubz

I note you're not arguing with me, so I'm right (albeit in a whingy way)
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507
ME3 will have a panel at the upcoming PAX event. Rumours of announcements of DLC relating to endings, specific characters, and multiplayer. Sweet

Quote:

jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubz View Post

I note you're not arguing with me, so I'm right (albeit in a whingy way)

im not argueing because i havent played much of the game yet.
how can i argue it when i havent played it enough to base my own opinion on it
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

ME3 will have a panel at the upcoming PAX event. Rumours of announcements of DLC relating to endings, specific characters, and multiplayer. Sweet

Where's PAX?
I'll bring my rotten tomatoes.
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Where's PAX?
I'll bring my rotten tomatoes.

I think it's somewhere on the East Coast of America.

Maybe I'm just an ME fanboy, but I reckon ME3 was seriously awesome. Yeah, it had its flaws, but no game is perfect (The Witcher 1 and 2 were amazing but also had flaws, so did Alan Wake, Dead Space, the Silent Hill games, the F.E.A.R. games etc).

Wait till they announce DLC/future plans, Bioware tend to listen to fan feedback, so I reckon things people have been disappointed about will likely be addressed. No game is perfect on release.

Quote:

jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
i dont think any game is ever perfect.

you cant cater to everyone at once. theres always going to be haters no matter how good your game is.
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,516
It was fantastic. The ending was so shit it ruins and soils the experience forever though.

How lazy can they get anyway? Not only did one Deus Ex do it but so did the fucking new one too! However, DX had no damn plot holes.
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

It was fantastic. The ending was so shit it ruins and soils the experience forever though.

Patience, my friend I might just be getting my hopes up, but reading the forums/various news sites etc, it sounds like Casey Hudson and co. have some bullshit awesome stuff lined up for us.

Also, I read the multiplayer forums on BSN...wow...there are some seriously uppity ****s on there. There was a 4 page thread about people complaining about "noobs with stupid loadouts ruining it for the rest of us".

PS Fledz - I think I sent you a request on Origin. Add me so we can MP if you want to

Quote:

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,516
Ah yea will do. I haven't logged on in weeks
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Patience, my friend I might just be getting my hopes up, but reading the forums/various news sites etc, it sounds like Casey Hudson and co. have some bullshit awesome stuff lined up for us.

Also, I read the multiplayer forums on BSN...wow...there are some seriously uppity ****s on there. There was a 4 page thread about people complaining about "noobs with stupid loadouts ruining it for the rest of us".

PS Fledz - I think I sent you a request on Origin. Add me so we can MP if you want to

Can you link me to the thread? I can't find it. Most of BSN is bitching baout the ending (the mods haven't exactly done their work there).

I still haven't played online, seems the main point is to get your galatic readiness up. I can't stand it when you have to do stuff online to affect the SP version. Sucks.
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 74

Quote:

I still haven't played online, seems the main point is to get your galatic readiness up. I can't stand it when you have to do stuff online to affect the SP version. Sucks.

Forget the galactic readiness stuff. That's just a by-product.
The multiplayer is genuinely fun.
Good day prospective employer, I am both smarter than a hatful of periwinkles and prettier than two bags of smashed assholes. Fail to employ me at your own risk.
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
just got the newest member of my squad
Spoiler:
EDI!

sickest.
ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
< 2,549
She is so annoying.
Wowk +

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambuca View Post

Forget the galactic readiness stuff. That's just a by-product.
The multiplayer is genuinely fun.

Agreed. Except when you get some uppity **** who gives you shit about your tactics.

Chris - there is no individual thread, it's mostly just posts here and there throughout said bitching threads. Though I think the Bioware "On the endings, yes we are listening" thread is relevant there.

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,880

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABitPatchy View Post

She is so annoying the most entertaining character in the game.

corrected for accuracy
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

corrected for accuracy

Wrong! She sucks. And the whole thing with Joker? Seriously lame.

The story in this one is the weakest (which is perhaps to be expected in the 3rd part of a trilogy) across all characters.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »