Entertainment and the Arts

A Song of Ice and Fire (Book series) [spoilers]

Tools
nickko +

Why would I not have a nice day?

Times thanked
< 4,447
If it even is Aegon....
I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
< 361

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickko View Post

If it even is Aegon....

He has purple eyes and silver hair. I don't believe they have Eye colour changing contacts in the 14th century.

The Mummer refers to Vary's who was a Mummer before heading to Westeros.
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,447
I don't believe they have dragons or direwolves in the 14th century either.
franko123 +

Hello, this is your captain speaking.

Times thanked
< 861
pretty sure merlin was real and he talked to a dragon
Kiron +

Times thanked
< 361
http://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic657.html

Game of Thrones Mod for CK2

Media Player
Crusader Kings II [Game of Thrones mod] - Map overview - YouTube
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
holy shit... that is epic... totally getting crusader kings 2 just for this
emskina +

StKE

Times thanked
< 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

The plot points for all the books are already written out and GRRM has given them to the producers of the TV series so they don't create too big of a butterfly effect with changes.

It's very, very obvious Dany is going north of the wall, in all honesty the point of her character is just to deliver the dragons to fight the Others. Bran (pretty much confirmed), Dany and Jon Snow will be the 3 heads of the dragon and for Bran to be one, She has to go north of the wall.

Kings Landing will be sacked by Aegon I believe, who is now the rightful Targaryen heir through agnatic-cognatic primogeniture succession, this leaves able Dany to head north as she is no longer the first in line heir to the Iron Throne.

Everyone expects Aegon to be killed in the next book but I wouldn't be so sure, remember, Aegon is very much an extension of Vary's character and Vary's has been plotting for 5 books to have Aegon sit the throne. It would be a very big cop out to have such a massive buildup (Vary's true motive) to be killed off basically within a single book.

Surely those 'plot points' GRRM has given the producers would be no more than a few lines scribbled on a paper napkin.

And yeah, it's a fair guess that Dany is going to take the dragons north of the wall to fight the Others. Why do you keep spelling Varys that way?
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,293
Dunno, I reckon The Others will be beyond the wall before Dany gets to Westeros. Although, doesn't the wall have some sort of spell preventing this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

I think you obviously dont understand what i'm trying to say.

franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
yes there is magic woven into the wall to protect the realm... like many other places in westeros. storms end for example
Kiron +

Times thanked
< 361
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/ParadoxWeekend_2012

Crusader Kings 2 $9.99 today if you want that mod
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,447

Quote:

I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me. The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I’ve got a considerable headstart, but production is moving faster than I can write. I’m hoping that we’ll finish the story at about the same time… we’ll see.

Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,754
Interesting! Just don't die you large man.
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,293
Yes please do not die.

Quote:

Quote:

dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 981
god i'd love to see you ****s rage if he did though
nah mate
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,293
So I've got 115 pages left, Cersei just did her walk. Interesting stuff now.

Is it strange that I feel a bit sorry for theon? Even though he was a massive **** he was just confused, his whole life he never felt wanted or loved (even though ned probably did), and then his dad and sister reject him as well. To end up being what he is now, it's a bit sad.
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
stop sympathising with that fgt... he was loved by the starks (robb)
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,447
Theon is a fucking awesome character and like just about everyone in the series, has his ups and downs. His chapters are easily the strongest in ADWD.
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
yeah he was an awesome read in dragons.
http://soundcloud.com/jarrardscott
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickko View Post

I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me. The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I’ve got a considerable headstart, but production is moving faster than I can write. I’m hoping that we’ll finish the story at about the same time… we’ll see.

well theres what, 3 more books to go?
winter, and 2 more?

and the way the shows going we'll probably have 6 more seasons? guessing 2 more seasons per book? possibly 5 splitting crows and dragons over 3 seasons instead of 2 each?

so thats what, 5 years? so 3 more books in 5 years i'm gonna say winter in the next year and 2 years each for the next 2.

good fucking luck i would love it and i imagine he will really try but i'll see it when i believe it.
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
bit more info on it and his plans

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiki

Planned novels and future
Further information: The Winds of Winter
Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500 manuscript pages each.[44] The sixth book is going to be called The Winds of Winter,[45] taking the title of the last book of the originally planned trilogy.[34] By the middle of 2010, Martin had already finished five chapters of The Winds of Winter from the viewpoints of Sansa Stark, Arya Stark, Arianne Martell and Aeron Damphair, accumulating to around 100 completed pages.[45][46] The Winds of Winter will resolve the Dance with Dragons cliffhangers early on and "will open with the two big battles that [the fifth book] was building up to, the battle in the ice and the battle [...] of Slaver's Bay. And then take it from there."[47] After the publication of A Dance with Dragons, Martin announced to return to writing in January 2012,[14] spending the meantime on book tours, conventions, and continuing his work on the long-overdue The World of Ice and Fire companion guide that he wanted to have finished before 2012. He also worked on a new Tales of Dunk and Egg novella that will appear in an anthology called Dangerous Women.[48][49]
In December 2011, Martin posted a chapter from The Winds of Winter from the viewpoint of Theon Greyjoy at his website and promised to include another sample chapter in the paperback version of A Dance with Dragons, expected to be released in summer 2012[47][50] (international paperbacks released in March 2012 had no sample chapter).[8] With 200 finished pages by March 2012,[51] Martin hopes to finish The Winds of Winter much faster than the fifth book.[39] He has previously gotten in trouble from fans for repeatedly estimating his publication dates too optimistically and thus refrains from making absolute estimates for book six.[14] A realistic estimation for finishing The Winds of Winter might be three years for him at a good pace,[43] but ultimately the book "will be done when it's done".[34] Martin does not intend to separate the characters geographically again but acknowledged that "Three years from [2011] when I'm sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows".[18]
Displeased with the provisional title A Time For Wolves for the final volume, Martin ultimately announced A Dream of Spring as the title for the seventh book in 2006.[10] Martin is firm about ending the series with the seventh novel "until I decide not to be firm",[14] leaving open the possibility of an eighth book to finish the series.[34] With his stated goal to tell the story from beginning to end, he will not truncate the story to fit into an arbitrary number of volumes.[28] Martin is confident to have published the remaining books before the TV series overtakes him,[18] although he told major plot points to the two main Game of Thrones producers in case he should die.[18] (Age 62 in 2011, Martin is by all accounts in robust health.)[52] However, Martin indicated he would not permit another writer to finish the series.[39] He knows the ending in broad strokes as well as the future of the main characters,[18] and will finish the series with bittersweet elements where not everyone will live happily ever after.[26] Martin hopes to write an ending similar to The Lord of the Rings that he felt gave the story a satisfying depth and resonance. On the other hand, Martin noted the challenge to avoid a situation like the finale of the TV series Lost, which left some fans disappointed by deviating too far from their own theories and desires.[34]
Regarding A Song of Ice and Fire as his magnum opus, Martin is certain to never write anything on this scale again and would only return to this fictional universe in context of stand-alone novels.[31] He prefers to write stories about characters from other Ice and Fire periods of history instead of a direct continuation of the series,[53] such as finishing his Tales of Dunk and Egg project.[31] Martin would love to return to writing short stories, novellas, novelettes and stand-alone novels from diverse genres such as science fiction, horror, fantasy, or even a murder mystery, but will see if his audience follows him after publishing his next project.[20][25]

bit worried that he says he wont let anyone else write it if he dies.
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
summary of tyrions first chapter in winds of winter!
bit of a spoiler of how events may play out. EXCITING!
Spoiler:

Quote:

For the second chapter we joined Tyrion playing cyvasse with Brown Ben, while they wait for 'Ser Grandfather's' army to sally forth and try to break the siege of Meereen. These two share banter with other of Brown Ben's staff about what's the worst thing about waiting for the battle to start, punctuated by the sound of the trebuchets as they fling more plague corpses into Meereen. Brown Ben muses that the two dragons are wild cards which could attack anyything on either side during the battle. They assume Dany will return on the third dragon and speculate about rescuing the three hostages - Daario, the eunuch and the horse boy - and delivering them to Meereen thereby changing sides a second time but claiming that they only pretended to change sides before so as to learn the Yunkish plans. Tyrion thinks any skepticism about this will be outweighed by gratitude that he killed Dany's most dangerous enemy - Tywin. Just as Tyrion is about to win the cyvasse game Jorah bursts in with news of black sails in the bay (ironborn ships) flying dragon banners.

nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,447
Two to go Jarrard.

Timeline for the series will be something like:

2013 - ASoS part 1
2014 - ASoS part 2
2015 - AFFC/ADWD part 1
2016 - AFFC/ADWD part 2

Which takes us to the start of The Winds of Winter, and then A Dream of Spring beyond that. Who knows how long or how many seasons they will get out of those two, but at the bare minimum, that would give GRRM until early 2018 to get the books done (before the series finishes).
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861

Quote:

summary of tyrions first chapter in winds of winter!
bit of a spoiler of how events may play out. EXCITING!

pretty sure i posted that AGES ago...

there's arianne chapter, victarion and the above tyrion chapter floating around..

along with the theon chapter that's now at the end of the ADWD paper back and on GRRMs website
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
i reckon he'll have TWOW out 2014 sometime. maybe earlier. he is apparently smashing through it pretty quickly as there was so much of it he wanted to include in ADWD but it was taking too long. he knows what he is going to write already so apparently smashed out over 500 pages really quickly. he expects it to be around 1500 but wont be surprised if it blows out to 1800. said he didnt want to finish it till it felt done. obv wasnt happy with releasing ADWD before summing up those chapters.
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
he also said when he's sitting on 1800 manuscript pages and there's no end in sight who knows what's gonna happen
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574

franko when are we gonna play the boardgame?
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,293
Man the next book I'm definitely buying in two volumes. Holding ADWD is bad enough, it's too fucking thick.

Quote:

Quote:

jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
get a fucking kindle
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,293
Fuck your kindle. I'm not wasting money on a kindle when I don't read all that often.

Quote:

Quote:

Kiron +

Times thanked
< 361
The GOT RPG pretty much confirms who Aegon is I think (haven't played the game though)
Spoiler:
The son of Jeyne Greystone, the hidden bastard daughter of the mad king

The story apparently revolves around getting her to Vary's so he can hide her across the sea, she dies in childbirth though so the baby is sent instead
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job

Last edited by Kiron: 19-Jun-12 at 10:23am

franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Man the next book I'm definitely buying in two volumes. Holding ADWD is bad enough, it's too fucking thick.

go buy the paper back version then retard. it's the same size as all the other PAPERBACK copies of the books.

shouldn't have bought a hardback copy
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,754
http://www.thebookseat.com/

I have one of these. Hands free reading, it's fucking awesome.
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

http://www.thebookseat.com/

I have one of these. Hands free reading, it's fucking awesome.

lol that would be so handy in bed
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,293

Quote:

Originally Posted by franko123 View Post

go buy the paper back version then retard. it's the same size as all the other PAPERBACK copies of the books.

shouldn't have bought a hardback copy

Idiot, I do have the PAPERBACK copy. It's about as thick as two Game of Thrones.

Note that I said thick in the first post, not big, no reference to the size.
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
lololololololol ok lord derp snow
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,293
I just finished ADWD. Interesting last few chapters there, bout time Varys resurfaced. I'll have to go and read the chapters on the website as well.
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
thoughts on poor old jorah?
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
varys true intentions finally come through, makes his character so much more compelling to read about!
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,293
Spoiler:
Well we knew that was his intention near the start of the book when they revealed Aegon.

What thoughts are there to give on Jorah? He messed up and now he is paying the price for his mistakes.

The bit that got me the most was the Jon Snow business, did not see that coming! Poor Wun Wun I bet Melisandre wanted to warn him but he blew her off.

Oh and I doubt Stannis is actually dead, considering the rest of the letter mentioned he wanted Jeyne and Theon back. I hope not anyway, I quite like stannis' character in the novels.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 981
wait, are you only just finishing the last book now? or is this a re-read?
nah mate
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,293
Only just finished. I only started AGOT in February or March.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 981
you're pretty game posting in this thread so much considering all the spoiling...
nah mate
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,447

Quote:

THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE. The concordance. Elio and Linda are my partners on this one, a compendium of the history and legends of the world of Westeros. A coffee table book, lots of gorgeous art from such talents as Ted Nasmith, Justin Sweet, and others. Making good progress on this one of late, lots of great historical stuff that I think my readers will enjoy. Never before revealed details of Aegon's Conquest, the War With the Faith, The Dance of the Dragons, the Paramours of Aegon the Unworthy, etc.

Sounds pretty cool!
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
actually getting info on alot of the historical stuff would be really interesting

like theres loads of discussions just from teh snippets. but to get actual facts would be great
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,293

Quote:

Originally Posted by dementruck View Post

you're pretty game posting in this thread so much considering all the spoiling...

The only big plot spoiler I got was from the blurb of ADWD :\

Quote:

Quote:

franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
i came across Fevre Dream in the book store over the weekend so i bought it.

good read so far
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
GRRM's thoughts on the tv show
http://winteriscoming.net/2012/09/ge...-season-three/

in particular

He also says that Talisa is not the same character as Robb’s wife in the books, she is not the daughter of a Lannister bannerman, and she is not just a version of “Jeyne.” He is the one who suggested changing her name because Jeyne is not a Volantene name.
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/ge....html?spref=tw

nice long interview with GRRM, talks a fair bit about winds of winter.

he guesses a 2014 release date but isnt setting in stone because he knows things may change.
jarrardscott +

The Digital Prophet

Times thanked
< 4,574
In other news.

Martin announced on his 2011 national book tour that the Dunk and Egg series will be collected into a book and published by Bantam Spectra after the fourth novella is first published in an original anthology he and Gardner Dozois are editing
franko123 +

Times thanked
< 861
already been posted

« Previous Thread Next Thread »