Current Affairs and Politics

Carbon Tax / ETS

Reply
  Tools
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726
They are pretty unlikely to take control of the Senate so that isn't really going to be a problem.

I seriously doubt they will get 8 years too.

The current media environment isn't suited to sitting parties being judged on their policies.

The media will just continuously savage whoever is in politics for every "mistake" they make because they now make a living pushing sensational crisis' not reporting the news.

The Liberals are liking it now but already we have columnists in even pro-liberal media outlets like the Australian writing pretty scathing reports about the Liberals and Abbot's lack of policy. Once they are in charge we will have all you liberal supporters complaining about the "Left Wing Media" again.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
weekender +

Registered User

weekender's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 398
Posts
5,415

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abziie View Post

Mate. The Liberals, after they get in, are gonna spend at least 8 years in government. During that time, they are gonna throw buckets and buckets of water, one way or another, on the ETS.

And what about if after the election they try to repeal the carbon tax? Greens reject it in the senate and they call a double dissolution? What then?

Are you happy with that?

Are you for real?
"Old enough to know better"
Abziie +

Registered User

Abziie's Avatar
Joined
Jun '06
Times thanked
< 59
Posts
1,372
I woudnt rule it out.

Mandate to repeal carbon tax. Kick the greens out of the senate. Slow creep on labour market reform.

Does that sound like science fiction?
Abziie +

Registered User

Abziie's Avatar
Joined
Jun '06
Times thanked
< 59
Posts
1,372

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

They are pretty unlikely to take control of the Senate so that isn't really going to be a problem.

I seriously doubt they will get 8 years too.

The current media environment isn't suited to sitting parties being judged on their policies.

The media will just continuously savage whoever is in politics for every "mistake" they make because they now make a living pushing sensational crisis' not reporting the news.

The Liberals are liking it now but already we have columnists in even pro-liberal media outlets like the Australian writing pretty scathing reports about the Liberals and Abbot's lack of policy. Once they are in charge we will have all you liberal supporters complaining about the "Left Wing Media" again.

You really dont think 8 years?

How many first term governments have we had? Why not 3 elections? Some people out there think the current labor government is in for a chance for a 3rd win lol

They will make less mistakes because their agenda will be paper thin.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 14,153
Posts
48,849

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abziie View Post

You really dont think 8 years?

How many first term governments have we had?

They will make less mistakes because their agenda will be paper thin.

federal terms are 3 years long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

Abziie +

Registered User

Abziie's Avatar
Joined
Jun '06
Times thanked
< 59
Posts
1,372
really? They are exactly 3? how long was the last one?
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 172
Posts
15,144
Gillard is being hammered eveywhere. I am even surprised at the strong groundswell of anger about the ETS
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

If this all comes into play the ALP and The Greens will be destroyed.

The Greens doubled their representation at the last election. Labor lost alot of votes and the coalition gained very few. The Greens will only benefit from this legislation. People who voted Green will see that their votes brought about the legislation that they wanted. There is going to be a price on carbon. I would be surprised to see the Greens clean up at the next election and double in size again...especially if the coalition run with a policy of dismantling the carbon price.
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 14,153
Posts
48,849

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abziie View Post

really? They are exactly 3? how long was the last one?

for 8 years they would need to win 3 consecutive elections, not two, so they would nolonger be a 'first term' government.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726
When you said 8 years I assumed you meant 3 terms (given they can be called early)

Just think back to Labor getting into power after Howard. As soon as Costello announced he was packing it it did anyone really see the Liberals getting back after 1 term?

They almost did.

3 years is a long time in politics. Especially when your leadership struggles to put forward any policy and is generally incapable of even explaining the policy the do have.

I don't think they would be capable of keeping power for more than one term at the moment. I put Labor in the same boat really. I can see it see-sawing back and forth until one party actually finds a statesman or two to lead their party or a minority party gets enough power that Coalitions for minority governments become the norm.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

Gillard is being hammered eveywhere. I am even surprised at the strong groundswell of anger about the ETS

Maybe its becuase you read right wing media and listen to talk back radio

Economists slam Abbott's carbon plans
http://www.smh.com.au/business/econo...713-1hd3d.html
"Almost 85 per cent said they did not think the Coalition's alternative "direct action'' plan was a sound economic proposal to reduce carbon emissions."

oh yeah slammed hard.

Abbott's climate plan fails the test
http://www.smh.com.au/business/abbot...712-1hc6z.html

oh no please stop, its hurting
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

legal-affairs's Avatar
Joined
Apr '02
Times thanked
< 511
Posts
12,522

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abziie View Post

Slow creep on labour market reform.

Sow some respect and use his full name, not his nickname. You meant "Senator Eric Abetz on labour market reform".
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
Abziie +

Registered User

Abziie's Avatar
Joined
Jun '06
Times thanked
< 59
Posts
1,372
I did mean 3 terms, I edited the one up there to make it more clear.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726
To be honest I think both parties probably need to break down into smaller parties and shed their extremist factions. They are both trying to represent too many disparate points of view which I think is a major cause of the weak leadership in both parties.

It would make bi-partisan politics more likely and maybe we would get some reporting on the actual policies of each faction rather than sound-byte attack like we have now.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
Abziie +

Registered User

Abziie's Avatar
Joined
Jun '06
Times thanked
< 59
Posts
1,372
smaller parties may be problamatic. too many special interest groups.

For a perfect example see israel.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 14,153
Posts
48,849
What I would love to see is for the ALP to decide to go down swinging - pass every bit of reform that they can between now and 2013, It won't happen, but I would love to see it.

I just like seeing angry bogans (sorry, middle Australia) getting trolled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726
Yeah that would be awesome.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,492
Posts
11,863

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravyishot View Post

Abbott wants to get in power. He'll say anything to get in power. Once in power he will find it very difficult to repeal the legislation, and then may not even want to repeal it.

So the carbon tax is in and will probably remain. Same goes for an ETS. But expect an Abbott led government for the next election.

I don't think the Libs care so much about this as they are making out. Their true aim, I believe, is workplace reform.

I agree. Abbott will say and do anything to get in power. I know this. He is about as principled as a rottweiler.

I'm talking about both Hockey and Hunt. They almost get a free run with their bull shit hypocrisy. Especially Hunt. Perhaps I'm just angry at the media for being pretty soft on these guys.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,492
Posts
11,863

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

Why on earth would they?

Have you seen the 2PP vote recently? The Liberals are currently sitting better than any opposition have since they were in the same position circa 1995. There is a groundswell of red hot opposition to the carbon tax out there in voter land at the moment, and they would be utterly foolish to do anything but sieze the opportunity to capitalize on that.

Power trumping principles is something we have come to expect I guess. But Rudd wasn't wrong when he said that how we handle this issue now is the greatest moral challenge of our time because it takes into account every facet of human experience.

People who say they want to leave a better world for their children yet disregard all the scientific evidence either don't really care or are ideologues who refuse to believe that the way things have been done the last 250 years is not the way we will be able to do things for the next 250 years.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,492
Posts
11,863

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

nbn/telco reform + ETS to a stage that they can't be cancelled/rolled back is all I'm after, with any luck the ALP conference will change its stance on gay marriage and they can get that passed too.

See this is the thing: if this government achieves all those things, as well as playing a big part in Australia getting through the GFC, then as shit and inept as they have been about selling their policies and achievements, and regardless of whether they are re-elected, it will go down as one of the biggest reforming governments in Australian history. I know that's hyperbolic but I honestly believe it to be true.

Abbott, if he is still leader at the next election and wins government, will have a very short reign at the top if he doesn't repeal the carbon tax, the MRRT, and start deconstructing the NBN. He will have zero credibility.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
kance +

Registered User

kance's Avatar
Joined
Nov '09
Times thanked
< 13
Posts
150

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowkeyandnude View Post

Maybe its becuase you read right wing media and listen to talk back radio

Economists slam Abbott's carbon plans
http://www.smh.com.au/business/econo...713-1hd3d.html
"Almost 85 per cent said they did not think the Coalition's alternative "direct action'' plan was a sound economic proposal to reduce carbon emissions."

oh yeah slammed hard.

Abbott's climate plan fails the test
http://www.smh.com.au/business/abbot...712-1hc6z.html

oh no please stop, its hurting

This is a minority Government who has formed a coalition with the Green's.
In fact I have never seen so many people up in arms.
It will be the biggest economic reform in our history.

* No Referendum for the people to choose. Currently only 13% are in favour.

* No debate in the Parliament.

* No disclosure as to who are the biggest 500 'polluters'.

* Money to compensate householders will be borrowed from the IMF so even if they lose the next election in two years' time it will be too late to repeal.

* Every major political figure supports some kind of ETS or Carbon Tax.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/i...-1226093371186

I suggest you look at the poll in that article.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 14,153
Posts
48,849
We *never* have referendums for economic reforms, totally irrelevant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

Jimmy255 +

pants-on-head retarded

Jimmy255's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 44
Posts
1,796
Anyone posted this yet?
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726


A poll on Adelaide Now.

Why not just link the West Australian?

Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,492
Posts
11,863

Quote:

Originally Posted by kance View Post

This is a minority Government who has formed a coalition with the Green's.
In fact I have never seen so many people up in arms.
It will be the biggest economic reform in our history.

* No Referendum for the people to choose. Currently only 13% are in favour.

* No debate in the Parliament.

* No disclosure as to who are the biggest 500 'polluters'.

* Money to compensate householders will be borrowed from the IMF so even if they lose the next election in two years' time it will be too late to repeal.

* Every major political figure supports some kind of ETS or Carbon Tax.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/i...-1226093371186

I suggest you look at the poll in that article.

We only have referendums when a significant alteration, amendment, or addition to the constitution is being proposed.

Mid term polls are irrelevant. The only poll that counts is the general election. If people are still so unhappy with all this then, they can vote accordingly at that time. Until then the harping on about unfairness etcetera is about as useful as a spoon to cut steak with.

For all the lying licketyspit and rabid mouth-frothery that is happening from mostly arch free marketeers and old people who have no fucking idea, for all that foment, you would think that this government was legalising child-rape.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 172
Posts
15,144

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowkeyandnude View Post

Economists slam Abbott's carbon plans
http://www.smh.com.au/business/econo...713-1hd3d.html
"Almost 85 per cent said they did not think the Coalition's alternative "direct action'' plan was a sound economic proposal to reduce carbon emissions."

:

i really have no idea why you keep quoting economists, it makes you look like an ass clutching at straws.

A lot of average punters in the street are angry
Gruso +

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gruso's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
< 14,765
Posts
32,937
Oh I like this. It's perhaps how Crikey would read if they hired Ben Yahtzee Croshaw.
weekender +

Registered User

weekender's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 398
Posts
5,415

Quote:

Originally Posted by kance View Post

This is a minority Government who has formed a coalition with the Green's.
In fact I have never seen so many people up in arms.
It will be the biggest economic reform in our history.

* No Referendum for the people to choose. Currently only 13% are in favour.

* No debate in the Parliament.

* No disclosure as to who are the biggest 500 'polluters'.

* Money to compensate householders will be borrowed from the IMF so even if they lose the next election in two years' time it will be too late to repeal.

* Every major political figure supports some kind of ETS or Carbon Tax.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/i...-1226093371186

I suggest you look at the poll in that article.

I suggest you do some homework

http://www.cleanenergyfuture.gov.au/500-companies/
"Old enough to know better"
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726
I am actually tearing up here I laughed so hard.

My two favourite bits:

"Ten bucks a week. Core values. Class war. Then, “Generous payments to those on low incomes and higher taxes for high income earners would anger hard-working Aussies.” Because, people on less than $110,000 don’t have to work hard. That’s why they get paid less! Scrubbing toilets is easy and only takes five minutes, while high-level boardroom execs spend 20-hour days chained to some kind of awful lunch machine being beaten with lobster foam."

"
There was also a great line about “so-called solar energy” – because now solar energy is just a theory too. Like gravity, or Adelaide."


Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 14,153
Posts
48,849
Awesome

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

gravyishot's Avatar
Joined
Mar '06
Times thanked
< 715
Posts
7,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

When you said 8 years I assumed you meant 3 terms (given they can be called early)

Just think back to Labor getting into power after Howard. As soon as Costello announced he was packing it it did anyone really see the Liberals getting back after 1 term?

They almost did.

Which wouldn't have happened, had the govt not packed their dacks after a string of bad polls.

Basically, their situation is one of their own making. Abbott is just exploiting it.
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 172
Posts
15,144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

People who say they want to leave a better world for their children yet disregard all the scientific evidence either don't really care or are ideologues who refuse to believe that the way things have been done the last 250 years is not the way we will be able to do things for the next 250 years.

they don't disregard it, but they are not stupid and will not be drawn into the 'doomsday' theory promoted by Gillard and brown. It's an insult to the average person and we are going headlong into a dangerous game here. Supporters of the tax like you promote it as the only way to save the planet. It's horseshit and you know it. I think the average person who lives in Australia is sympathetic to any environmental cause and to improving our level of sustainability, but the average person doesn't want this shit shoved down our throat, especially on the back of a huge lie by Gillard.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 14,153
Posts
48,849

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

i really have no idea why you keep quoting economists, it makes you look like an ass clutching at straws.

A lot of average punters in the street are angry

A lot of average punters in the street are ignorant and stupid - that is why they are angry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 172
Posts
15,144

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

A lot of average punters in the street are ignorant and stupid - that is why they are angry.

no, they are concerned about the fact that this government couldn't manage a plan to install pink batts, yet they are pushing us headlong into a policy which could cause massive damage to our economy.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 14,153
Posts
48,849

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

no, they are concerned about the fact that this government couldn't manage a plan to install pink batts, yet they are pushing us headlong into a policy which could cause massive damage to our economy.

Oh you mean this one: http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/04/27/...edia-hysteria/ Sorry this uses actual data and statistical analysis not snippets from The Australian, so you may find it distasteful.

Economists don't think it will cause massive damage to our economy, but what do they know about economics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Portal's Avatar
Joined
Oct '03
Times thanked
< 924
Posts
6,350
buffed, do you prefer Abbotts plan?
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

dbb618's Avatar
Joined
May '06
Times thanked
< 1,739
Posts
14,856

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

A lot of average punters in the street are ignorant and stupid - that is why they are angry.

"lets burn down the observatory, so this will never happen again"

Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
lowkeyandnude +

Registered User

lowkeyandnude's Avatar
Joined
Jan '05
Times thanked
< 106
Posts
3,687

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

i really have no idea why you keep quoting economists, it makes you look like an ass clutching at straws.

there's alot of things you have no idea about!
maybe because Abbott is claiming it will destroy the economy and because as people here acknowledge

Quote:

Originally Posted by kance View Post

It will be the biggest economic reform in our history.

better to get economic information from economists than believe everything a politician tells you mate.



Quote:

Originally Posted by kance View Post

* No disclosure as to who are the biggest 500 'polluters'.
.

soon you guys are going to run out of baseless reasons to rally against this. There will debate about this in parliament when the legislation is introduced into parliament. Not to mention the fact that this was debated in parliament before the last election. There was a mandate for Labor to bring in an ETS in 2007, but Abbott "defied the will of the people" and blocked it in the Senate. So if he thought mandates were important why didnt he let it through? Or is he just be a hypocrite for political expediency this time around?

studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375


...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Griggle's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 1,726
Posts
8,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

i really have no idea why you keep quoting economists, it makes you look like an ass clutching at straws.

A lot of average punters in the street are angry

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 172
Posts
15,144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portal View Post

buffed, do you prefer Abbotts plan?

no because i know fuck all about it, but that doesn't mean i have to decide in the next 10 minutes. The world ain't going to sink in the next 2 years. Gillard still hasn't told me by how much temperatures will recede because of her ETS
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,492
Posts
11,863

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

they don't disregard it, but they are not stupid and will not be drawn into the 'doomsday' theory promoted by Gillard and brown. It's an insult to the average person and we are going headlong into a dangerous game here. Supporters of the tax like you promote it as the only way to save the planet. It's horseshit and you know it. I think the average person who lives in Australia is sympathetic to any environmental cause and to improving our level of sustainability, but the average person doesn't want this shit shoved down our throat, especially on the back of a huge lie by Gillard.

We can't keep doing things the same way buffed. Even if AGW isn't really happening, and that's one huge motherfucking if right there, at some point we are going to run out of shit to dig up and use as energy or to manufacture into goods. That's a fact. So we can start changing behaviour and expectations now or we can have an abruptly calamitous transformation further down the line, probably when everyone on ITM has died.

One of the ways we can change behaviour is to start paying for CO2 emissions on everything we do; something we haven't had to think about previously.

I stand by the fact that opposition is coming from short term thinking Richie Riches and morons who don't listen to facts but listen to those who confirm their gut feelings; and they profess to want to leave a better place for their kids and grand kids yet propose doing nothing which will cause, perhaps, some short-term financial pain. In doing so, they either don't really care or don't want to understand how the best way to do things to make the future better. They prefer to listen to Alan Jones and Christopher Monckton.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
weekender +

Registered User

weekender's Avatar
Joined
May '02
Times thanked
< 398
Posts
5,415
@ buffed: oh fuck off with the moronic soundbites, you're more intelligent than that
"Old enough to know better"
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 14,153
Posts
48,849

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

no because i know fuck all about it, but that doesn't mean i have to decide in the next 10 minutes. The world ain't going to sink in the next 2 years. Gillard still hasn't told me by how much temperatures will recede because of her ETS

2 degree rise is pretty much the *best* case scenario that we can hope for now and even then it is looking tenuous. We will need to go further than 5% on 2000 levels to achieve that. The world needs to stabilise at 550ppm co2e for that.

The longer we delay it, the more expensive it gets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 172
Posts
15,144

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekender View Post

@ buffed: oh fuck off with the moronic soundbites, you're more intelligent than that

i know i'm more intelligent than that, that's why i don't buy any of this shit. I'm also intelligent enough to know that this will make precisely fuck all difference to climate change. If you want to call it a tough policy designed to make Australia reduce it's carbon footprint and redistribute wealth with no tangible difference to 'climate change' then go for your life. But don't take me and everyone else for a ride with this climate change horseshit because you look like a fucking retard
buffed +

Registered User

buffed's Avatar
Joined
Mar '03
Times thanked
< 172
Posts
15,144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

One of the ways we can change behaviour is to start paying for CO2 emissions on everything we do; something we haven't had to think about previously.

.

then why are you compensating everyone? How does that change behaviour? Why are you exempting petrol?
guima +

Registered User

guima's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 26
Posts
95

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

As for Australia's energy production, I'm all for weaning off coal. If it were up to me I'd replace every large coal power station with a nuclear plant.

Nah, that would actually achieve a dramatic reduction in carbon emissions; but in reality the government really doesn't give a shit what we are pumping into the atmosphere, hence the carbon tax.
phoneyhuh +

3o~

phoneyhuh's Avatar
Joined
Jul '01
Times thanked
< 199
Posts
7,979

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill

Here's my favourite:

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle" - Winston Churchill
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 1,492
Posts
11,863

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

no because i know fuck all about it, but that doesn't mean i have to decide in the next 10 minutes. The world ain't going to sink in the next 2 years. Gillard still hasn't told me by how much temperatures will recede because of her ETS

It's not going to reduce temperatures at all. You know that. If all the world started today with a carbon price/tax and or an ETS it still would have little effect at the beginning. But the point isn't to reduce global temperature. The point is the temperature is going to rise no matter what, it's about minimising the amount it increases by.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
austraboy +

I like toast

austraboy's Avatar
Joined
Sep '07
Times thanked
< 146
Posts
911
Well, you don’t. So if you claim you can’t afford ten bucks a week, I call Shenanigans, with a healthy dash of You’re a Dick.

Jimmy255 +

pants-on-head retarded

Jimmy255's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
< 44
Posts
1,796
...and a general move to more sustainable everything. Power production, manufacturing, lifestlyes, etc. That's the outcome I'd like to see anyway, where sustainability is a primary concern rather than a token effort.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts