Immigration/ Sink the boats/ Asylum seekers

Tools
austraboy +

I like toast

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

The govt should have arranged the people swap deal with Texas instead of Malaysia. Australia could swap 5 of their illegal immigrants for every one of our boat arrivals.

Because if there's 5 things Australia needs more of and 1 thing Australia could do with less of and thats taco's, burrito's, quesadilla's, tequila, real football players and muslims. respectively.

Yeah because the 2.2% of people who identify themselves as followers of Islam are over running the country... how could we possibly handle any more...

way to sound like a redneck
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
< 935
Blatant racism. post reported
Fuck Everything Forever
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,321

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Rogers View Post

When are we going to start calling these que jumpers by their real name "ILLEGAL IMAGRENTS" ???????

when you learn to spell
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
horst +

Times thanked
< 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

Because if there's 5 things Australia needs more of and 1 thing Australia could do with less of and thats taco's, burrito's, quesadilla's, tequila, real football players and muslims. respectively.

That is really disappointing phoney

and against the community guidelines
http://www.inthemix.com.au/about/community-guidelines

the very first paragraph:
We encourage everyone to treat each other with mutual respect. Do not use the Community Services to threaten, harass, stalk, or abuse others participating in any Community Service. Refrain from all expressions of bigotry, racism, hatred, or excessive profanity. Be courteous to others, even if your opinion differs from theirs
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Times thanked
< 1,299

Quote:

Originally Posted by horst View Post

http://www.inthemix.com.au/about/community-guidelines

the very first paragraph:

Be courteous to others, even if your opinion differs from theirs

Would you like me to go through this forum & report all those posts you have missed?
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
many sections of itm are peppered with racist quips here and there, easy to form the impression that it's somewhat tolerated
horst +

Times thanked
< 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dero13 View Post

Would you like me to go through this forum & report all those posts you have missed?

not really
horst +

Times thanked
< 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Rogers View Post

When are we going to start calling these que jumpers by their real name "ILLEGAL IMAGRENTS" ???????

Que indeed. Leaving your struggle with written English aside, what boat people do in seeking asylum is perfectly legal. Not an auspicious start for you here.
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 280

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

The pacific solution was so good it even worked in Europe!

And? As I’ve mentioned people fleeing Afghanistan started rising steadily from late 1998 because of the Taliban strengthening their grip on society. This started peaking in October 2001 when the war between the Northern Alliance/US and Taliban commenced and slowly stated falling by mid 2002. Howard’s pacific solution was implemented in September 2001 right at the time instability and population movement was at its height. And guess what? Illegal boat arrivals fell off a cliff.

It worked all right and probably far better than even Howard and Ruddock imagined it would. Whether you agree with it or not, it was one of the most instantly successful government policies in living memory.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron

Last edited by trist: 03-Jul-12 at 08:34am

jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,321
illegal boat arrivals also fell off a cliff because there were significantly less people to get on the boats, something you seem to continually ignore
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 280

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

illegal boat arrivals also fell off a cliff because there were significantly less people to get on the boats, something you seem to continually ignore

Yes there where significantly less people getting on the boats and that was because of government policy. You want to know how many? Exactly 5,515 less arrivals in 2002 than in 2001. What percentage drop is that jdoodle?
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,321
a government policy that extended across the planet it seems hey, Europe now being part of Australia
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 280
What are you on about? Look at the freaking numbers and dates ffs.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

you are getting hammered, stop while you are a long way behind. Labour has already admitted that Howards policy stopped the boats, so not exactly sure what you're defending here
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 16,159
Too bad the high court ruled the Temporary Protection Visas were unconstitutional.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

Less from Afghanistan, Iraq and Sri Lanka yeh. Are they the only places they come from?

Would be nice to see the graph with all countries on it rather than the few that support one sides argument.
HERPA DERPA, HERPADEE DOO
I'VE GOT A PERFECT PUZZLE FOR YOU
HERPA DERPA, HERPADAH DEE
IF YOU ARE WISE, YOU'LL LISTEN TO ME.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,321
feel free to find one sport
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

feel free to find one sport

You don't have to take an automatic defensive stance. I'm not trying to hurt your butt.

I'm genuinely curious to see a graph that includes every country to form a proper opinion. I'm also happy to admit I have no idea where to find one.

I just prefer my facts in the full. I think we can all agree on that.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,018
the only relevant omission is Pakistan, because they have the highest intake (by far).
nah mate
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

Originally Posted by dementruck View Post

the only relevant omission is Pakistan, because they have the highest intake (by far).

I don't just mean the intake countries, i mean the source countries also.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,321

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coezi View Post

You don't have to take an automatic defensive stance. I'm not trying to hurt your butt.

I'm genuinely curious to see a graph that includes every country to form a proper opinion. I'm also happy to admit I have no idea where to find one.

I just prefer my facts in the full. I think we can all agree on that.

im not being defensive, im suggesting you go do some looking yourself, as opposed to relying on others to do it for you
google, its new and awesome!
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,018
for 'irregular maritime arrivals' that grouping of countries accounts for about 99%. onshore asylum applicants is a different game altogether - those countries would come up infrequently.
nah mate
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

im not being defensive, im suggesting you go do some looking yourself, as opposed to relying on others to do it for you
google, its new and awesome!

I appreciate the suggestion, however I'm just not going to do it because I'm lazy and simply can't be fucked.
Abziie +

Times thanked
< 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coezi View Post

Less from Afghanistan, Iraq and Sri Lanka yeh. Are they the only places they come from?

I think it is the vast majority.

If people from other countries tried to come here via boat we would put them back on a plane. From my understanding, you have to be an actual asylum seeker to even stand a chance of asylum in Australia.

Mexicans etc dont count because they are NOT seeking asylum and therefore not refugees.
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,018
if people come here by boat and seek protection, their claims will be assessed. there are some exceptions to the above nationalities, but they repesent only a small minority (there's a decent amount of pakistani's but considering the porous border between pakistan and afghanistan, that's not unusual).
nah mate
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
for the majority that make it here by boat, under a labor government, they will be approved as refugees irrespective of whether they are economic refugees or asylum seekers. The fact that a number of people smugglers were living and working in Australia and in Canberra no less gives you some idea of the voracity of the checks undertaken by our authorities.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,321
for the majority that arrive by any method that were refugess were approved, weird hey
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,018

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

for the majority that make it here by boat, under a labor government, they will be approved as refugees irrespective of whether they are economic refugees or asylum seekers.

That is completely untrue. One still needs to be a convention refugee in order to be granted a refugee visa. Your baseless assumptions are ridiculous.
nah mate
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543
It seems there may be a little confusion as to what is what here.

An asylum seeker is what we call them before they have been granted refugee status.

A refugee is a person who is outside their country of origin or habitual residence because they have suffered persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or because they are a member of a persecuted 'social group'.

I've noticed some persecution on account of political opinion on these forums. Maybe we have some legitimate refugees posting?
Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Times thanked
< 1,084

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

for the majority that make it here by boat, under a labor government, they will be approved as refugees irrespective of whether they are economic refugees or asylum seekers. The fact that a number of people smugglers were living and working in Australia and in Canberra no less gives you some idea of the voracity of the checks undertaken by our authorities.

Once again, thank god we have you here since you have a PHD in all matters. Have you ever worked anywhere near this area? Do you have any base for these claims other than your anti Labor bias?

You must be right about the loose refugee status checking undertaken though, that's why the process only takes years on end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
austraboy +

I like toast

Times thanked
< 146
Interesting reading re refugees
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...ross-the-globe
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davomaxi View Post

Once again, thank god we have you here since you have a PHD in all matters. Have you ever worked anywhere near this area? Do you have any base for these claims other than your anti Labor bias?

You must be right about the loose refugee status checking undertaken though, that's why the process only takes years on end.

it took four corners 40 minutes to track down a people smuggler working at a woolworths in canberrra, he has since fled the country.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by dementruck View Post

That is completely untrue. One still needs to be a convention refugee in order to be granted a refugee visa. Your baseless assumptions are ridiculous.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226396781852

next.........
dementruck +

magic crappens

Times thanked
< 1,018
that has nothing to do with him being an economic refugee.
nah mate
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,092
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-1...thirst/4123626

pretty sad, although i wonder if the media coverage might make a few people realise that people seek asylum all over the world, and not just in australia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

smorchika +

Times thanked
< 510
^ horrible.
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 510
Sooo, we're back to offshore processing, and its somekind of disgusting argument.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-1...2?WT.svl=news0
What is up with the politicians in this country?!
robin78 +

no

Times thanked
< 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by smorchika View Post

What is up with the politicians in this country?!

Most are just opportunists who are in it for themselves and no other reason. They couldn't give a shit. People really underestimate how low to the ground they are. Maybe it's because most people in society have the same low-life values?

I just hope there aren't more women in this country like my mother. Her powerfox apologetics has asecended to great heights today after hearing of Labor's decision. She always claimed to be appalled by shitty John Howard style treatment of refos but she's OK with it now that's it Gillard's baby.

'but something has to be done!'

Kinda shocked she's even resorted to using borg collective one liners like that. The sheer power of feminist tribalism appears to have drowned out any kind moral objection she might once have had when it came to warehousing asylum seekers in pacific shiteholes.

Could be worse I guess. The old man was a life long tory-hating labor voter, then after retirement and a few solid years in front of the television 60 hours a week is now irate about 'Gillard's lies', vowing *never* to vote labor again

Oh shit the asylum seeker story has come on the television and he's arced up again

Last edited by robin78: 14-Aug-12 at 08:05pm

smorchika +

Times thanked
< 510
One of the speakers (i have no idea who the man was) was saying he surveyed people in his electorate and said that 25 to 1 said that the govts border control policy was too soft.
What the hell... he also just said that if nothing is done then the number of boats will rise exponentially...
I dont even know where to begin with this...?!
robin78 +

no

Times thanked
< 61
Yeah I recently saw some polls which said similar things.

Blame the media for fueling it all. Even the ABC thinks some boat arriving off our coast qualifies as a news item.
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
< 379
http://theconversation.edu.au/saving...l-reports-8601

An actual panel of people in the actual field (not Military) pretty much came to the opposite conclusion than the Houston report yesturday.

Also Howard's Pacific solution didn't really work

Also the way Howard "Stopped the boats" was simply count how many boats landed on Australian territory (none), while ignoring the fact there were boats out there, and redefine what was "Australian territory". The Howard numbers are basically a fabrication because what they pretty much did was simply stopping recording the boats. Say that boat that sank off Christmas Island a month back or so, if this was the Howard era, according to the way they collected the numbers, that boat simply didn't exist.

What is so disturbing to me is that that the Government is hiding their playing to Xenophobia under the guise of "Saving lives". Don't give me that fucking shit, the only reason this is a issue is because News Corp whinges when anyone who isn't Anglo Saxon comes to this country and the Government wants to pander to that racist, xenophobic audience for quick vote points.
If you really want the Ocker Votes Gillard, simply come out and say "We don't want them darn slants, dune coons and ******s in our country Australia is for the Anglos!, Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi" I'm sure there will be parading from Australians all over the country.

If there was a eruption in New Zealand, totally annihilating the country and Kiwis had to seek Asylum, I bet Australians would let them in with open arms, if England came under attack and we had British refugees, I bet zero problem at all, but when its someone of a different race or someone who isn't Christian, all hell breaks loose.

How anyone who claims they are progressive, could vote Labor after this election is beyond me, Hell atleast that douchefuck Abbott atleast stands by the spaghetti he drops all over the floor.
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together

Last edited by Kiron: 14-Aug-12 at 10:32pm

smorchika +

Times thanked
< 510
I was wondering after all that talk of how they "stopped the boats", if they stopped either recording them, or didnt count the ones that went to offshore processing.
God, watching the coalition crow over their assumed victory today was incredibly vile.
Australian politics at its very, most disgusting, worst imho.

http://inside.org.au/six-days-on-nauru/
I dont even know if its possible to read this without crying, so incredibly upsetting, and we're going to start doing it all over again.

Quote:

In his darker moments, Mullaie feared he had been penalised for trying so hard to improve himself in his years on Nauru. In one email to Marion Le, he noted how an interviewing officer looked surprised at his neat handwriting and appearance (he went to the interview in his school teacher’s uniform). “In Afghanistan I did not have the opportunity to educate myself because of bad circumstances, so when I came to Nauru Camp, I got the opportunity,” he wrote to Marion Le. “I felt happy and lucky that I could use my time and the facilities in the Camp and could make myself a smart person in this almost three years. It is a real pity that with all my efforts to gain knowledge and be rejected.

Last edited by smorchika: 15-Aug-12 at 02:54am

baax +

Times thanked
< 624
Out of interest what would the last three posters suggest happen?

Australia opens the door to everyone?
Or pay's to fly everyone in?
Or runs a fleet of ferries to pick everyone up?
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
< 1,181
Or how about we fulfil our obligations as signatories to the convention on refugees and allow people who arrive on our shores (including Christmas & Cocos islands) to apply for refugee status, then allow genuine refugees to settle here?

It's ridiculous and laughable that we're so concerned about a few thousand people who arrive here by rickety shitty boats.
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 280

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

What is so disturbing to me is that that the Government is hiding their playing to Xenophobia under the guise of "Saving lives". Don't give me that fucking shit, the only reason this is a issue is because News Corp whinges when anyone who isn't Anglo Saxon comes to this country and the Government wants to pander to that racist, xenophobic audience for quick vote points.
If you really want the Ocker Votes Gillard, simply come out and say "We don't want them darn slants, dune coons and ******s in our country Australia is for the Anglos!, Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi" I'm sure there will be parading from Australians all over the country.

How old are you? 15?
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 280

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangoriously View Post

Or how about we fulfil our obligations as signatories to the convention on refugees and allow people who arrive on our shores (including Christmas & Cocos islands) to apply for refugee status, then allow genuine refugees to settle here?

It's ridiculous and laughable that we're so concerned about a few thousand people who arrive here by rickety shitty boats.

Well, for one that would just encourage more people to make the journey on rickety shitty boats……potentially to their deaths.
Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
< 1,181
Sure. At the risk of sounding callous, I'm not sure that there really is much we can do to stop people from making boat trips in their shitty boats if do want to uphold our obligations faithfully.

Especially if we're quick about processing people and returning them, if they aren't genuine refugees as determined by the convention.

The idea that we're going to get floods and floods of people from far flung people isn't really true.
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangoriously View Post

I think the govt may be more concerned about the 700+ who've perished on the way (not including the 67 who went missing the other day), or the costly excercise of having to send Navy patrol boats out each and every time a "distress call" is sent out just off the Indonesian coastline.
robin78 +

no

Times thanked
< 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

Out of interest what would the last three posters suggest happen?

Australia opens the door to everyone?
Or pay's to fly everyone in?
Or runs a fleet of ferries to pick everyone up?

Why do we need to stop the boats?

If it's to stop people from being killed then that's a moot point. It's been pointed out by a couple of different commentators that people in those countries have got just as much chance their kids will wind up dead if they stay where they are than if they risk their necks on a boat. Look at infant and child mortality for places like Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mortality_rate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_m...s_in_the_world

So if it makes no difference to their odds of survival then why would you shut down their only mode of escape?

And the whole 'no pacific solution=open borders' seems like a pretty wild argument to me. Who exactly is advocating that we no longer require passports or a genuine fear of persecution to enter the country? or tell our navy to stop patrolling our waters and stop picking up asylum seekers so they can be screened for health and security reasons? Nobody I have heard.

Last edited by robin78: 15-Aug-12 at 02:08pm

Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543
If we ever have to go to war, at least our navy will be well trained in how to rescue themselves after they've been sunk.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »