Sport and Fitness

Body Composition and Diet: How much do you weigh and how did you get there?

Closed thread
  Tools
P337 +

is a carrot

P337's Avatar
Joined
Feb '09
Times thanked
< 2,936
Posts
9,134
Did 12 months of exercise & sports science @ Syd. Shit seemed really interesting just science (neuroscience + chemistry) broke my brain so I dropped out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.


Even yours pee three three seven.

metaphorikal +

u mad

metaphorikal's Avatar
Joined
Jun '08
Times thanked
< 1,752
Posts
5,198
Where you at now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

fucked international break at it yet again fuck off already

P337 +

is a carrot

P337's Avatar
Joined
Feb '09
Times thanked
< 2,936
Posts
9,134
Nowhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.


Even yours pee three three seven.

metaphorikal +

u mad

metaphorikal's Avatar
Joined
Jun '08
Times thanked
< 1,752
Posts
5,198
Awkward

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

fucked international break at it yet again fuck off already

Bism +

Bism's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 17,981
Posts
21,570

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

You know you want to know.

Absolutely, I love stats. But I'm very competitive so I'm going to fast for 6 months first.
P337 +

is a carrot

P337's Avatar
Joined
Feb '09
Times thanked
< 2,936
Posts
9,134
Maybe.

Spoiler:
I'm 24 with a B.A. (Media & Comm.) and a M.Int.Sec.


In body composition kinda stuff I had a question for eddie/luke. With the DEXA scan, should I just go for the $85 option? the others offer explanations of results etc.

Quote:

Quickscan
($85.00)

· Total body DEXA scan.

· The scan results will be printed following the completion of the scan and also emailed with the suplementary report before the close of business the day of your scan.

Short consultation
($150.00)

· Total body DEXA scan.

· We will take you through the analysis of your scan and provide you with a thouough understanding of your results and provide you with a complete report on your current health and body composition. Normally suitable for those having a scan for the first time and then following up with a Quickscan.

I have nfi...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.


Even yours pee three three seven.

Astro-Boy +

Astro-Boy's Avatar
Joined
Oct '03
Times thanked
< 22,701
Posts
40,212
Go the $85 option, imo. You're not a big enough spud to need the consult.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120
The consultation is just for fatties who need someone to tell them to eat less. Sorry, give them a personalised plan tailored to their specific instance of being fat.

You should be fine with just the scan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

P337 +

is a carrot

P337's Avatar
Joined
Feb '09
Times thanked
< 2,936
Posts
9,134
cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.


Even yours pee three three seven.

airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

airconteka's Avatar
Joined
Dec '06
Times thanked
< 12,157
Posts
22,574
Dexa scans is for idiots. You cost me a 6 pack fatty
little_brad +

Registered User

little_brad's Avatar
Joined
Oct '02
Times thanked
< 4,976
Posts
9,945
Friggin fat boy, you must've downed a shit load of burgers since that last pic
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120
One of the other things to come out from DEXA scans is that generally we have underestimated bodyfat percentages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Astro-Boy +

Astro-Boy's Avatar
Joined
Oct '03
Times thanked
< 22,701
Posts
40,212

Quote:

Originally Posted by little_brad View Post

Friggin fat boy, you must've downed a shit load of burgers since that last pic

Trunk 20%, legs 30%. What. Up.
mischa21 +

yessum

mischa21's Avatar
Joined
Aug '10
Times thanked
< 3,072
Posts
4,058

Quote:

Originally Posted by loopi View Post

Thanks for your response Astro

The more I learn about exercise/nutrition, the more I want to ditch my current degree and go into exercise science. It's really interesting to see how the body responds to extreme diets like ketosis or low carbs etc.

I've actually just started a sport and ex science degree externally through CQU. really interesting. I love all the anatomy stuff.

currently watching a lecture about the urinary system right now. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

pEAkeR_hAT's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
< 4,661
Posts
12,343
What does everyone who finishes a phsyiology degree do after uni ?
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

mischa21 +

yessum

mischa21's Avatar
Joined
Aug '10
Times thanked
< 3,072
Posts
4,058
I'm planning to do a masters in physiotherapy and be a physio. cos I've decided I hate sitting in an office. though I'll no doubt miss the hours I spend wasting on le net
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

What does everyone who finishes a phsyiology degree do after uni ?

Work in a callcentre with the arts grads?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

miss innocent +

Registered User

Joined
Feb '02
Times thanked
< 1,198
Posts
2,433
astro how do the results work? do they give them for each leg, arm, etc, then total & average?
if i could think of something witty to say i'd put it here
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120
Basically it works out the percentage of your lean tissue bone and fat mass then they use your weight to extrapolate the figures. It shows you the breakdown in arms legs trunk head and total.
gotamangina +

o.O

gotamangina's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
< 8,904
Posts
11,105
Did my body comp test today.

Told them I wanted to find out my Max HR. They made me do a beep test, which involves running a few metres & then turning around & going back until you can't keep up with the speed of the recording. From this they conclude your VO2 max & Max HR based on stats. Dog balls.

Bodyfat came up as 21.6

Disappoint.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120
They don't actually hook you up to the machine that measures you co2 output on the treadmill? What bollocks, you can estimate it yourself with a heartrate monitor and 20 minutes in the park.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

gotamangina +

o.O

gotamangina's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
< 8,904
Posts
11,105
Exactly. I got my HR ( had my own monitor on ) to 164, missed a few beeps & that was that. I've got a long stride, so found the short lengths really hard. How the fuck you can extrapolate a heart rate or VO2 max from averages & give that to somebody as data is beyond me.

The BMR info they gave me says nothing about TDEE either, so if I didn't know better (most people they assess are noobs) I would leave there thinking that I should be eating 1383 calories a day.

The BF, lean muscle & hydration levels they gave me all reflect pretty much exactly what my 'Weight Watchers' bodyfat scales say, so I don't know what to make of either of them for reliability.
miss innocent +

Registered User

Joined
Feb '02
Times thanked
< 1,198
Posts
2,433
thats pretty disappointing mangina. it would be interesting to see what some other forms of testing say for comparison, but if i were you i'd be pretty over the "testing" lol
if i could think of something witty to say i'd put it here
gotamangina +

o.O

gotamangina's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
< 8,904
Posts
11,105
The women in there were all in their 40s, wasted looking, drawn faces, taking themselves wayyy too seriously & ordering soy lattes from the guy doing the coffee run. It's given me something to think about in terms if moderation & perspective.

The best part was when she told me I eat too much during the day, based on the fact that I have 50g of oats with frozen berries for breakfast (no other food was mentioned). She only has 30g. So I need to reduce my Portion sizes apparently.
gotamangina +

o.O

gotamangina's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
< 8,904
Posts
11,105

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss innocent View Post

thats pretty disappointing mangina. it would be interesting to see what some other forms of testing say for comparison, but if i were you i'd be pretty over the "testing" lol

Exactly. CBF, life is busy enough.

Was hoping BF would be below 20, but that's just because I like to have something to quantify my efforts with.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

Exactly. I got my HR ( had my own monitor on ) to 164, missed a few beeps & that was that. I've got a long stride, so found the short lengths really hard. How the fuck you can extrapolate a heart rate or VO2 max from averages & give that to somebody as data is beyond me.

The BMR info they gave me says nothing about TDEE either, so if I didn't know better (most people they assess are noobs) I would leave there thinking that I should be eating 1383 calories a day.

The BF, lean muscle & hydration levels they gave me all reflect pretty much exactly what my 'Weight Watchers' bodyfat scales say, so I don't know what to make of either of them for reliability.

Lamesauce

I was happy with the results from bodyscan, was nice and easy, done in 10 minutes flat and you get emailed all the data breakdown within the hour.

I'm curious to know what my vo2max is now, so I'll do some investigation on where to get it done with the real test equipment, I'll let you know how I go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

gotamangina +

o.O

gotamangina's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
< 8,904
Posts
11,105
She said the universities do it
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120
It seems inane that they would advertise that they do vo2max testing and extrapolate it from a fucking beep test.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

P337 +

is a carrot

P337's Avatar
Joined
Feb '09
Times thanked
< 2,936
Posts
9,134
Hey gotmangina, you have tits...surely that would up the body fat % right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.


Even yours pee three three seven.

gotamangina +

o.O

gotamangina's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
< 8,904
Posts
11,105

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

It seems inane that they would advertise that they do vo2max testing and extrapolate it from a fucking beep test.

I can't remember if they advertised it. I phoned up & asked to have it added. Clearly didn't ask specific enough questions. Don't care too much about VO2, but did want an accurate max HR so I can be a bit more precise with my long runs.

@Pete, I think that's why they BF ideals are different for men & women. For men, below 20% is preferable (apparently), whereas 16-25% is the healthy range for laydeez.
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

rancho's Avatar
Joined
May '05
Times thanked
< 7,072
Posts
22,075

Quote:

Originally Posted by P337 View Post

Hey gotmangina, you have tits...surely that would up the body fat % right?

correct, women even when very lean have much more body fat than men.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I can't remember if they advertised it. I phoned up & asked to have it added. Clearly didn't ask specific enough questions. Don't care too much about VO2, but did want an accurate max HR so I can be a bit more precise with my long runs.

@Pete, I think that's why they BF ideals are different for men & women. For men, below 20% is preferable (apparently), whereas 16-25% is the healthy range for laydeez.

I don't know why they were using the beep test to determine max HR though, warming up and then sets of sprints will allow you to hit that with more accuracy.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/ar...p?articleid=53

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

mischa21 +

yessum

mischa21's Avatar
Joined
Aug '10
Times thanked
< 3,072
Posts
4,058

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I can't remember if they advertised it. I phoned up & asked to have it added. Clearly didn't ask specific enough questions. Don't care too much about VO2, but did want an accurate max HR so I can be a bit more precise with my long runs.

@Pete, I think that's why they BF ideals are different for men & women. For men, below 20% is preferable (apparently), whereas 16-25% is the healthy range for laydeez.

Nothing wrong with 21% mangina. That's a good amount - very healthy.

Sux you had to beep test it - those things are the pits and can bring skewed results depending on the kind of exercise you do.



BYO I cracked the 68kg mark this morning - weighing in at 67.9. woooooooooo.
avatar_karma +

Registered User

avatar_karma's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
< 2,022
Posts
11,276

Quote:

Originally Posted by P337 View Post

Hey gotmangina, you have tits...surely that would up the body fat % right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

BYO I cracked the 68kg mark this morning - weighing in at 67.9. woooooooooo.

Pics or GTFO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

MCSphinx +

Brotankhamen.

MCSphinx's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 2,122
Posts
16,830

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

BYO I cracked the 68kg mark this morning - weighing in at 67.9. woooooooooo.

Bring my own what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

life and shit.

gotamangina +

o.O

gotamangina's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
< 8,904
Posts
11,105

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

Nothing wrong with 21% mangina. That's a good amount - very healthy.

Don't wanna be healthy, wanna be freakish

Cheers Mischa. Just been stuck there for a while.

I figure that getting to below 20 will provide a buffer against the extra layer of weight women supposedly 'start' to get around their bellies in their 40s.

*doomed*
little_brad +

Registered User

little_brad's Avatar
Joined
Oct '02
Times thanked
< 4,976
Posts
9,945

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCSphinx View Post

Bring my own what?

Haha the missus was pissed once and told me that a smelly guy next to us had bad BYO
Bism +

Bism's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 17,981
Posts
21,570
Heh, body fat.

What the fat I don't even.
mischa21 +

yessum

mischa21's Avatar
Joined
Aug '10
Times thanked
< 3,072
Posts
4,058

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

Don't wanna be healthy, wanna be freakish

Cheers Mischa. Just been stuck there for a while.

I figure that getting to below 20 will provide a buffer against the extra layer of weight women supposedly 'start' to get around their bellies in their 40s.

*doomed*

sorry - force of habit (BYO = FYI clearly).

I know what you mean though. My goal is to get to 18-19%.

so what's your plan of attack then to shed the extra 2% or do you think you'd want to get a more accurate scan done first?
Bism +

Bism's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 17,981
Posts
21,570
Single figures or gtfo.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism View Post

Single figures or gtfo.

You can't self-estimate single figures bitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Bism +

Bism's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 17,981
Posts
21,570
I think I was 13% once, some shit scales told me.

Now, not so much.
avatar_karma +

Registered User

avatar_karma's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
< 2,022
Posts
11,276
I reckon I was about 6% once. I also weighed 55kgs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,615
Posts
50,120
6% fuck off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

avatar_karma +

Registered User

avatar_karma's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
< 2,022
Posts
11,276
So maybe I exaggerated, I just wanted to undercut Bism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

Bism +

Bism's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 17,981
Posts
21,570
6% the height of a normal person.
avatar_karma +

Registered User

avatar_karma's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
< 2,022
Posts
11,276
With 50% more awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

Bism +

Bism's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 17,981
Posts
21,570
Still jockeying for position.
avatar_karma +

Registered User

avatar_karma's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
< 2,022
Posts
11,276
You're just jelly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

metaphorikal +

u mad

metaphorikal's Avatar
Joined
Jun '08
Times thanked
< 1,752
Posts
5,198
I am more
toned than all of
you
combined

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

fucked international break at it yet again fuck off already

Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts