Entertainment and the Arts

The Avengers

Tools
SparklingSam +

Is it beer o'clock yet?

Times thanked
< 261
Loved it tonight in 2D, gonna go back later this week and check out the 3D version.
You can't help that. We're all mad here
jarrardscott +

i've had enough of "digital prophet"

Times thanked
< 4,513
tbh, its the best 3d ive seen in ages. really clear, not overdone, no headaches or dizziness.
http://soundcloud.com/jarrardscott
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275
Going to have to disagree, I can't recall any moments in it that were like 'this is awesome in 3D'. The movie would look exactly the same in 2D to be pretty fair.

Tin Tin on the other hand was amazing in 3D and had multiple moments in it where the 3D was mindblowing.
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
< 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

Going to have to disagree, I can't recall any moments in it that were like 'this is awesome in 3D'. The movie would look exactly the same in 2D to be pretty fair.

Spoiler:
When stark was falling down the building and his suit was engaging as he fell. that was pretty awesome in 3d i thought

I thought it was pretty fun. solid film - probably a little overhyped imo but still a good watch 7.5/10 (even though im not a massive comicbook buff - it was cool to see all those heroes in the same place at the same time fighting together - that got this film that extra .5)
The JulesPLees ComPLete Trilogy for 2013

Volume 1: Light (Club Prog-Trance)
https://soundcloud.com/user38450/jul...ete-2013-vol-1

Last edited by JulesPLees: 30-Apr-12 at 08:59am

Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615 View Post

I'm in the "movie was ok" camp. Maybe I had overly high expectations from the people raving about it and the 97% on Rotten Tomatoes but it didn't live up to those expectations I'm afraid. Some good sequences and funny scenes and I really wanted to love it but while enjoyable I can't call it a classic

Holy over-hype Batman! 97%???

Clearly that will iron out in time when people other than rabid fanboys start posting reviews.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,513

Quote:

Tin Tin on the other hand was amazing in 3D and had multiple moments in it where the 3D was mindblowing.

thats probably why i preferred it.

hate 3d popping out moments. i'd rather it feel like a normal movie where the 3D isnt a main focal point (not in the literal sense) of the movie.
ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
< 2,393
...lol
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

hate 3d popping out moments.

Isn't that the point, JRad?I haven’t seen a 3D movie yet, the thought of it just seems very gimmicky to me, and a film should not rely on it. Will be happy to eventually seen one though.

With The Avengers, yes, there is a lot of assumed knowledge, but with 5 preceding movies based on comic books, it was bound to happen. There is a ‘Road to The Avengers’ trade which fills in the gaps quite nicely, but then again, unless you happened to stroll on in to comic store or found one at Dymocks, really, how could you have known?!

Spoiler:
I really enjoyed how Joss had Mark Ruffalo’s Banner reference the deleted scene from TIH (which was in Ed Norton’s cut of the film, paying a little respect perhaps?) of when he tried to shoot himself in the head and it failed (if you have the blu-ray go look! Or YouTube)
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275

Quote:

Ahhh, that's why, it's post converted 3D - not filmed in 3D.
No wonder it was kind of meh.

http://screenrant.com/the-avengers-3d-kofi-144862/
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275

Quote:

hate 3d popping out moments. i'd rather it feel like a normal movie where the 3D isnt a main focal point (not in the literal sense) of the movie.

Yeah, I agree there, I hate 3D pops for the sake of it but that kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore.
But it can look very cool and add depth to the shots, if you use the MiB3 trailer as a point of reference before the movie - specifically the scene where Will Smith is talking to the crowd of people before he wipes their mind - it's amazing to see that depth in picture and feel like you are there to some degree.
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,513

Quote:

Ahhh, that's why, it's post converted 3D - not filmed in 3D.
No wonder it was kind of meh.

http://screenrant.com/the-avengers-3d-kofi-144862/

for a 3d rendered film it was incredibly clear.

alot of the time theyre blurry and shit. this was great. didnt distract, didnt even feel like i was wearing glasses.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,513

Quote:

Yeah, I agree there, I hate 3D pops for the sake of it but that kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore.
But it can look very cool and add depth to the shots, if you use the MiB3 trailer as a point of reference before the movie - specifically the scene where Will Smith is talking to the crowd of people before he wipes their mind - it's amazing to see that depth in picture and feel like you are there to some degree.

i didnt have that trailer.
BigGroovyFcuker +

Gurnstroker

Times thanked
< 2,226
great movie. hype was always going to be hard to live up to, but i think the movie achieved what it set out to do. as far as ensembles go i'm probably more an x-men fan. it's a comic book film so i'm not even going to bother getting worried about some of the looser bits in the plot..

by all reports it's smashed the box office. DC should totes do Justice League

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post

ITM is, as far as I can see, the institute of trolls and memes. Alas and alack---it's time for my evening meal.

Infringing on copyrights since 1999

ITM 2012 NRL SC Champion
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,513
justice league is stupidly unbalanced, green lantern and superman are in there, batman looks like a POS compared to their powers.
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779
But Batman has a gadget for that

I remember when it almost happened, just after Superman Returns came out and after Batman Begins (when The Dark Knight was already Green-lit) and when Warner/DC were asked about Brandon Rouths and Christian Bales involvement, they said it's fine, we'll just recast them for JLA
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,234

Quote:

justice league is stupidly unbalanced, green lantern and superman are in there, batman looks like a POS compared to their powers.

Go fuck yourself, you piece of shit.
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
< 500

Quote:

Could say the same for Iron Man compared to Thor and the Hulk.
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779
But Iron Man has an armour for those.

Spoiler:
No, literally, he does:

Twizard +

Life is like a bowl of rice

Times thanked
< 65
Ah I loved every second of it. Big marvel fan here though. Went on opening night and the atmosphere was just awesome. People in costumes cheering and clapping. Don't think there were too many "in" jokes either which is good. I only saw it in 2D though so going to have to go see it in 3D before I can comment on the whole 2D>3D ness.

Still lots more Marvel movies to come out!

Spiderman
Thor 2
Iron Man 3
Captain America 2
The Wolverine (Hugh Jackman smashing up Japan)
Avengers 2
+ Deadpool (if they can get the funding for an R18+ Marvel movie)

Last edited by Twizard: 30-Apr-12 at 04:33pm

Reason: I forgot to bring a bracket

Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twizard View Post

Spiderman
The Wolverine (Hugh Jackman smashing up Japan)
+ Deadpool (if they can get the funding for an R18+ Marvel movie)

Are not owned by Marvel/Disney

Last edited by Onslaught: 30-Apr-12 at 04:39pm

Reason: FFS people when will you understand this?!

Twizard +

Times thanked
< 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onslaught View Post

Are not owned by Marvel/Disney

Liefeld has worked with Deadpool before (and is listed as the writer). Trusting him to make that right. Spiderman after what Tobey Maguire did to it can't really go wrong. Wolverine in Japan can't really stray to far from the story anyway. Sticking pretty true to the Marvel series' that they come from.
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779
Marvel Comics originally sold their properties to movie studios:

The X-Men, DareDevil, F4 (and all related characters) to 20th Century Fox.

SpiderMan (and all related characters) to Sony Pictures.

Which is why Marvel constructed Marvel Studios with Paramount Pictures to ensure they had control of most of the films contents, as most characters and story lines had been taken grossly out of context and did not even resemble them any longer and were tarnishing Marvel Comics reputation.

Disney saw the huge potential and money the Studio was making and decided to buy 'em out (they do that a lot), along with the WHOLE of Marvel (comics, the company, and the rights to the media they had left) for $3 Billion, as there intention was they could finally crack the market of Tween and Teen boys which Disney were famously flawed at, with most of their properties appealing more to little girls, and to ensure Marvel Studios did not exceed their wealth.

Are you going to fkn sit there and tell me Deadpool resembled fkn anything from a comic?

Last edited by Onslaught: 30-Apr-12 at 06:11pm

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onijin View Post

Could say the same for Iron Man compared to Thor and the Hulk.

iron man has that thing in his chest with incredible amounts of sustainable power. its not just his tech it is him.

black widow and hawkeye were the weaklings in avengers however they did have expertise to for different situations, which i suppose would be the same case with batman in JL come to think of it.
Twizard +

Times thanked
< 65
Definitely not, Deadpool was a mess in origins. I dunno why Ryan would have agreed to play Wilson knowing that, that is what they were going to turn deadpool into, especially as he claims to be a fan. Probably why he wants to do it right this time. Which is why it is less likely they are going to be funded. Disney funding R18+ is not likely to happen.

Marvel endorses these movies though, they'll get it right. Was worried when I saw the first trailer for spider-man and it turned into crappy video game esc graphics, but the second trailer didn't haven't any of that. So hopes are high
dAvoZ +

Registered Boozer

Times thanked
< 30
didnt know marvel was owned by disney. they also own ABC and ESPN, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275

Quote:

for a 3d rendered film it was incredibly clear.

alot of the time theyre blurry and shit. this was great. didnt distract, didnt even feel like i was wearing glasses.

JRod, you make me laugh, never change.
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAvoZ View Post

didnt know marvel was owned by disney. they also own ABC and ESPN, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

And apparently Vivid Entertainment also!
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onslaught View Post

And apparently Vivid Entertainment also!

Yeah, nah, I don't think so.
Vivid Entertainment is owned by 3 dudes.
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779
Fair enough. There was a rumour not too long ago about 'em having shares in it.

Too far of a stretch.
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,005
Saw it tonight, was pretty good. They absolutely nailed Hulk, no question. I actually enjoyed Iron Man more in this than the dedicated movies strangely enough.

3D was subtle yet effective, although imo 3D is wasted unless it is on IMAX, the depth perception falls away bigtime on a normal sized cinema screen.

The humour was spot on in places, a rarity for big budget movies of this ilk. The movie never took itself too seriously, which was key given the large amount of forgiveness you have to give for plot holes, continuinity etc.

3.5 spuds outta 5.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,234
Two word review: fuck me.
borrisGLOWSTICK +

Shinra Rocket no.26

Times thanked
< 7,208

Quote:

which i suppose would be the same case with batman in JL come to think of it.

Having not read any DC can I ask if super man is ever "there" in the series? I mean what the fuck can the others do that he cant? Does the below kind of happen alot?
"Oh no soups, that bad guy went in that house made of kryptonite, better leave this to us"
There isnt really a whole lot that superman couldnt do himself. Baddie with kryptonite? Better leave it to Batman...or better yet just throw a truck at the guy.
Crazy people are ace doorslammers.

Full dark, no stars.
DjReal +

Deep House Fanatic

Times thanked
< 23
Only going off news.com.au which isn't always the most reliable source.

They did an interview with Chris Hemmsworth in which he said he has signed on for 2 Thor sequels and 3 more avengers movies.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,234
danmau5 +

has just about had it up to here with you.

Times thanked
< 3,290
I am the best +

SPLASH!

Times thanked
< 213
Avengers =

To say it only lived up to my expectations is a massive compliment to JW's direction. I was expecting a massively entertaining blockbuster and was not disappointed.

It was a clever ploy to introduce us and endear us to each character before this movie, it kind of gave The Avengers a 'tv-series' feel where you are invested in each character and storyline.
JVP $$Robotocorps
what more do you want in a line-up ?
Eric Prydz parachuting naked from a plane followed by White Michael Jackson Vs Black Michael Jackson soundtracked by Nirvana feat The Beatles and Wolverine? even then I don't think that would be appreciated...
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjReal View Post

Only going off news.com.au which isn't always the most reliable source.

They did an interview with Chris Hemmsworth in which he said he has signed on for 2 Thor sequels and 3 more avengers movies.

They all have several movie deal contracts, with, I think Sam Jackson having more with 10 or 11.
whambulance +

UNLIMITED JUICE!

Times thanked
< 59
There's even talk of a new hulk movie with ruffalo. half a boner. not gonna lie.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,275
I'll believe that when I see it.
They've had 2 shots at it and lost a lot of money.
I'd wager he was so popular this time because he was only in the movie for about 25 minutes and just smashed shit when he was.
Twizard +

Times thanked
< 65

Quote:

Saw it last night in 3D. Have to say I've got the same sort of taste, I don't like movies that seem to spend more time on making things 3D rather than the actual important content. There were some really well done bits though in Avengers, with bits of debris flying onto the glasses at times.

Totes going to see it a 3rd time.
LOKI'D!!

http://vimeo.com/41618569

Last edited by Twizard: 02-May-12 at 08:36am

Reason: spellcheck dis b$#ch

Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779
For anyone who may be interested in who played The Big Bad:

Spoiler:
B_e_de +

It's more fun if you just follow the script

Times thanked
< 7,331
God fucking dammit was that fuckass awesome or what.

Shame IMAX only had it in 3D. Had a huge headache afterwards, as did all 3 of my friends. Thankfully they didn't overdo the 3D shit, but it still was the only flaw on an otherwise perfect experience.

I'm beginning to like Thor a bit more...

Spoiler:
Iron Man firing a beam off of Captain Americas shield

EDIT: Also have mass respect for Black Widows "interrogation" tactics and can't believe how much comedy relief Hulk provided..
Spoiler:
from Loki ("Puny god") to Thor (*heroic stance.. punch*) to even a few nice quips from Banner!

I can't get over how much wit was involved with the dialogue, was NOT expecting that level of hilarity.

Last edited by B_e_de: 02-May-12 at 02:00pm

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Man I have to see this shit again. So good...

Spoiler:
forgot about the beam off the shield part, far out!
Order my book Being Bi-Bi - a memoir on mental health and sexuality -here.
danmau5 +

has just about had it up to here with you.

Times thanked
< 3,290
Spoiler:
the fight at the start between cap, thor and stark was pretty kick-ass. there was that bit where the lightning was going into iron man's suit and it said "energy at 400%" or something, and he said "oh, hellllo" and blasted the shit out of everything with all the extra power..... why did they not use that again later in the movie? I was waiting for it, but it never came.
Twizard +

Times thanked
< 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

Spoiler:
Iron Man firing a beam off of Captain Americas shield

They do that in Ultimate Alliance 2 with Iron Man + Wolverine and a whole bunch of other combinations. So awesome.
LOKI'D!!

BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

I can't get over how much wit was involved with the dialogue, was NOT expecting that level of hilarity.

Welcome to Whedon town!!

Still haven't seen this am heading in this Saturday...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

B_e_de +

It's more fun if you just follow the script

Times thanked
< 7,331

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twizard View Post

They do that in Ultimate Alliance 2 with Iron Man + Wolverine and a whole bunch of other combinations. So awesome.

No way - that's what I first thought of when I saw it! Didn't think anyone on this forum had played either games though... You can also do it in X-Men Legends 1 + 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmau5 View Post

Spoiler:
the fight at the start between cap, thor and stark was pretty kick-ass. there was that bit where the lightning was going into iron man's suit and it said "energy at 400%" or something, and he said "oh, hellllo" and blasted the shit out of everything with all the extra power..... why did they not use that again later in the movie? I was waiting for it, but it never came.

Spoiler:
YES! After that happened I was expecting there would be a moment at the end where Thor would 'supercharge' Stark to help him with the nuke or the worms.

Part that made me cringe...

Spoiler:
"Hit the lever, Cap!"... *rotor gets faster... Iron Man gets stuck underneath the rotors and ping pongs everywhere*... Me: "nooooo!"
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,468
Saw it last night, fucking awesome. Didn't expect those crack up moments from the Hulk.
May have to see it again.
Twizard +

Times thanked
< 65
[quote=B_e_de;394848632] No way - that's what I first thought of when I saw it! Didn't think anyone on this forum had played either games though... You can also do it in X-Men Legends 1 + 2.

Haha it was so good! As soon as it happened me and my lass, who I play Ultimate Alliance with, were just like :O *high 5*
LOKI'D!!

Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,779

Quote:

Spoiler:
"Hit the lever, Cap!"... *rotor gets faster... Iron Man gets stuck underneath the rotors and ping pongs everywhere*... Me: "nooooo!"

Spoiler:
I'm not sure, it's powered by, some kind of... electricity?!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »