The DJ Booth

my wedding - halp! mixing house and rnb minus the flame

Tools
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
my wedding - halp! mixing house and rnb minus the flame
hey guys,

my missus and i are getting hitched soon (really soon) and i have a dilemma... a musical one. i love my house music (obviously from my tenure on itm) and my misus loves her rnb. i have been tasked with premixing a mix with 15 minutes of rnb and then 15 minutes of house and then back and forth for our reception.. I have no troubles at all mixing the house portion of the mix but am having some serious difficulty mixing the rnb portion, and even worse off is me trying to transition between the two.

So my questions to all the awesome djs on in the mix are:
1) How the fark do i mix rnb and make it sound good? I know that scratching is generally involved but have tried but am hopeless. Cutting too is involved but beat mixing house for all these years for a 16-32 bars isnt doing me any favours and seems so foreign.
2) What are some ways to transition between the two genres? Again im guessing cutting and scratching are involved but how do i make it seemless without losing the crowd? any without being a turntablist.

Any tips, tricks, videos, mixes and help will be much appreciated!
Actually video tutorials would be the bomb, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, i will be eternally greatful!

Spanx!
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,441 Posts
you cant, unless you have uber pitch control to slow down your house tracks to the same bpm as rnb or speed up rnb to match house. Either way it'll sound rubbish.. Use breakdowns of house tracks to your advantage. in parts with no beats, get your pitch down to rnb tempo and simply drop in rnb at during that.
it'll require some pre planning.
Although do you really want to be playing house music at your wedding? are the guests gonna be into it?
soundcloud
mixcloud
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
Wedding music seems to be a challenge- going for older stuff and new stuff, without playing anything too weird, repetative or even too cheesy... swing jazz instead?
All mixes, tunes and gigs info at Kazuki.com.au
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac1d3o3 View Post

my misus loves her rnb

Get rid of her

In all serious I have nothing useful to offer other than what's already been said sorry mate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

Kent +

Times thanked
<
To transition between genres use tracks with good cold endings.
stuff
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
If in doubt....
SPINNNNN BACCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
<
There are a few pop rnb tracks that are about 128 bpm especially some of the new shit coming out. For rnb to rnb don't bother mixing. If its all premixed though you could easily find some house songs that at a start of a breakdown you can cut into at the end of an rnb track.
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,441 Posts
personally, i'd just leave her at the alter. you're gonna be stuck with that shit music the rest of your life otherwise
soundcloud
mixcloud
BeniC +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by special ed View Post

Although do you really want to be playing house music at your wedding? are the guests gonna be into it?

Screw the guests man, its your day. Me and the missis are planning ours atm and we are gona have everything from breaks, techno, hard house, nrg, psy trance, indie, experimental all different flavours at hours.

I plan on smashing a breaks and a hard house / nrg set.

Sorry AC1D3O3, cant really help with your house to rnb dilema, juts get pissed and wing the fuck out of it.
khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
<
What camlv said. You'll find heaps of bootlegs, remixes, etc etc of poppy rnb vocals over house(ish) music. It's more of a hybrid solution tho. It's basically like becoming Guetta... do so at your own risk.
/|±±|\
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,088 Times in 611 Posts
See Special Ed's first post. Honestly nobody is gonna notice the mixing dude probably except you.
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
Thanks for the tips guys. As much as I'd love to cut all the RnB out of our wedding, this is unfortunately the one night where I dont have the liberty to do whatever i want =P Im planning on putting the mix on after the band finishes which is when all the oldies will be thinking about going home anyways. All our friends love house - the deep, funky and loved up kind... not the stuff that the kids are playing these days and some friends love RnB (unfortunately).

Have given it a go and am definitely gonna plan it out. Some transitions have worked well, others not so well. I think im gonna keep on trying until I get it right. Was thinking about doing the transitions between genres in ableton so that I can get it just right. Anyone have any examples of people transitioning between house and rnb or hip hop (or any similar genres)

Also having problems mixing RnB, the groove and mixing style is so different. Its so hard to get out of the habbit of beat mixing for long periods. Anyone have any tips / videos on how to mix RnB?
Warn-A-Brotha +

Times thanked
<
Why not hire a DJ who does this every week ?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »