The Music Studio

Home music production setup tips.

Tools
deeppeeps +

Times thanked
<
Home music production setup tips.
So slowly becoming more and more interested in creating sounds/songs rather than just dj'ing them. But not quite sure where to start.

what I have at the moment to work with is.

Traktor scratch 2

Kontrol S4

Midi fighter pro

Korg R3 synth

Audacity

and a fairly powerful laptop.

I'm looking to buy more gear but not sure what kind i should be starting off with.

the sounds i'm interested in are progressive house, dubstep, electro and trance.
influential artists are, Mt Eden, Cosmic gate, ATB, Dash Berlin, Fake blood, jack beats Magnetic man, rusko, pleasurekraft, crookers and Paul Kalkbrenner.

what kind of production software do you have experience with and recommend?

should I be looking at buying a drum machine or just use samples or construct beats in some program?

recommended equipment to help the process:

and any good sound sample community's out there?

constructive advice appreciated.
thanks.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Posts like this are for the music studio, however...

1. Get a DAW (any of them, ableton, fl studio, etc etc)
2. Watch tutorials
3. Make 100000 shitty tracks
4. ???
5. Start making decent tracks.
Tech-One
deeppeeps +

Times thanked
<
eh thanks dude.. very insightful. to think I hadn't already done some kind of research.. I know of the various DAW's more interested in peoples recommendations and thoughts on ones they have used.

re wrong sub forum, the quick link bar at the top of ITM just had this as a forum and didn't list music studio.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
buy as much gear as you can the more you have the better producer you will automatically become
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Teknikall +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeppeeps View Post

So slowly becoming more and more interested in creating sounds/songs rather than just dj'ing them. But not quite sure where to start.

Traktor scratch 2

Kontrol S4

Midi fighter pro

Korg R3 synth

Audacity

I'm looking to buy more gear but not sure what kind i should be starting off with.

the sounds i'm interested in are progressive house, dubstep, electro and trance.
influential artists are, Mt Eden, Cosmic gate, ATB, Dash Berlin, Fake blood, jack beats Magnetic man, rusko, pleasurekraft, crookers and Paul Kalkbrenner.

should I be looking at buying a drum machine or just use samples or construct beats in some program?

thanks.

Macbook Pro or gtfo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

deeppeeps +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

or gtfo?

thanks.
deeppeeps +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

buy as much gear as you can the more you have the better producer you will automatically become

or lets not, and say we did. Will this suffice?????
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
my cdj 900's don;t do what you mentioned?

PS I don't have 900's
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE

Last edited by m_xt: 22-Sep-11 at 10:10pm

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

or lets not, and say we did. Will this suffice?????

yep definitely!

well jokes aside though, i was having a bit of a laugh because a lot of peeps go right into buying all this gear expecting to work miracles.

instead of buying more gear, just buy ableton and learn how to use it. then buy more gear as you need it. otherwise you'd have wasted all this cash and then probably sell off the gear that you never use anyway. i recommend ableton live studio. it's expensive but you get a ton of samples and instruments ready to go, as well as access to all the features.

for other stuff like finding more samples (especially oldskool drumloops), i recommend sampleswap. give em a little donation (even 5 bucks will do) and you can use all the samples you need. or just buy the whole collection on DVDs. or just buy actual sample CDs, or collect music magazines with sample CDs attached.

and don't forget it's never about what you have, it's how you use it!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐

Last edited by Spicy: 22-Sep-11 at 10:42pm

truba +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Traktor scratch 2

Kontrol S4

Midi fighter pro

Korg R3 synth

Audacity

thanks.

why dont you try mastering what you got, i only got 2 pieces of gear, a drum machine and a synth, nuttin else and i dont think i wanna get anything else till i master these 2. whats the point of buying more shit if you havent mastered what you got
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Ideas make tracks ... not more gear.

You've essentially got enough to crack on with ... some kinda DAW (digital audio workstation) and you're well on your way.

It's time and dedication that's going to get you there ... no gear.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Ok,

So i would recommend ableton, its fun, and easy to learn.

If you really want some step by step tutorials, pay the money and head to www.sonicacademy.com

All your other gear minus the R3 is dj gear, just use your TS sound card, hook it up to your monitors (if you dont have any, make this your next purchase).

THen, like previously dicussed, DONT BUY GEAR, ableton stock has enought tools to make quite decent tracks....
Tech-One
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,398 Times in 562 Posts
First of all, buy a DAW. But first, look at some and decide which one is right for you, because we all have different opinions. The only real options are
a) FL Studio (a bit weaker, and Afrojack uses it to create his tracks, so not so good for dubstep or Jack Beats stuff),
b) Reason (pretty tight, might take a few hours of getting used to, and you can't record a live sax or guitar onto the DAW, but overall it's pretty solid) and
c) Ableton (haven't really looked into it yet )
I would also reccommend a MIDI keyboard. One around $100 will do, as it makes your song-making/composing so much easier.
Also, decent headphones and speakers are highly reccommended.
That's about all you need to create decent tracks after a while.
Hope that helps.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conor- View Post

First of all, buy a DAW. But first, look at some and decide which one is right for you, because we all have different opinions. The only real options are
a) FL Studio (a bit weaker, and Afrojack uses it to create his tracks, so not so good for dubstep or Jack Beats stuff),
b) Reason (pretty tight, might take a few hours of getting used to, and you can't record a live sax or guitar onto the DAW, but overall it's pretty solid) and

lul wut?!

What about Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, Audacity, Reaper, ACID Pro etc etc?

Also ... Reason now comes with Record which does allow you to errr .. record audio.

For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

I would also reccommend a MIDI keyboard. One around $100 will do, as it makes your song-making/composing so much easier.
Hope that helps.

Sweet, can we hear some of your decent tracks please?
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
stubs +

0.o

Times thanked
<
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
I'm serious. If he's giving advice of what gear to buy then im sure he's a decent producer

Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
I make acid on my I phone
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

well 'fruity loops studio' is clearly the most proffessional sounding software title out of all of these so you should buy that.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
truba +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Hope that helps.

what stuff do you call Jack Beats, is that some new genre
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Hope that helps.

Wow. That may just be the most ill-informed piece of advice I have ever read. As funke has said there is tons of daws out there that are more than capable, and fruity loops bring weak? Go and listen to some spor and come back to tell us it's a subpar workstation.

Your program of choice has fuckall to do with the quality of music being produced.

IMO download reaper, learn the ropes and go from there. You are not going to learn this game overnight and buying expensive kit sure as hell isn't going to help straight off the bat.
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
While a MIDI Keyboard may be useful for writing melody and playing chords, you can also just program them in a DAW. Your Kontrol S4 can be mapped to MIDI so you csn use that creatively to control and record adjustments to fitlers, effects etc.

Other tools, can always help for different workflow, but buy (or borrow a friends) DAW and ge tyour head around that first. Since you come from a DJ background, I would recommend Ableton Live, as you can also 'DJ' with that and mix up tunes, add your own samples, production etc. Have a look on Youtube- seriously, there is so much there with invidual tutorials on everything from making a simple house beat to recreating classic tracks.

Make use of that Korg too.

Most DAW's are good for any genre- depends where you get your samples, VST synth/effect plugins, the inbuilt synths etc - just like an electric guitar can play rock, metal, blues, jazz or country.
All mixes, tunes and gigs info at Kazuki.com.au
deeppeeps +

Times thanked
<
bringing this back from the grave, bought ableton. did a liveschool course. loving it. feel like a pad won learner wanting to be a jedi.
accepting the fact 99% of the time i know nothing.
stubs +

0.o

Times thanked
<
Thread needs more Conor-.
wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
<

Quote:

bringing this back from the grave, bought ableton. did a liveschool course. loving it. feel like a pad won learner wanting to be a jedi.
accepting the fact 99% of the time i know nothing.

1. Well done.
2. I hope it hasn't taken 2.5 years to decide.
3. You've only made 8 posts ever. Your output is shameful. Contribute more.
4. It's 'Padawan'. Unless it was a play on words regarding using pads now that you're learning to produce? In which case, please refer to point 1.
https://soundcloud.com/presidentbird
m_xt +

Times thanked
<
Can't believe this thread was moved after over 2 years.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE

« Previous Thread Next Thread »