Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

Computer for $25? Raspberry Pi

Tools
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Oh yeah, so I've received an invite to order from RS Components. Comes with a single use authorisation code. If anyone wants it, speak up.

Looks like the RS price is $50USD delivered, but I think it comes from the UK so you can remove VAT from that. Delivery estimated in 6 weeks. Basically this code will let you jump the queue by something like 100,000 people.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
The OS images currently available are pretty sluggish. Looking forward to an OE/Amgstrom build from John Willis: http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=377 (Pandora OS dev). Haven't managed to mount a USB stick yet either, doooh'erp. Only had limited time to play this afternoon before :family: though.

I've also learned not to load up the USB ports. Keyboard + mouse + USB stick seems to suck the available current out of it, so powered hub is a must.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,003
So basically it's a $25 computer you can't really do anything with until you spend more money

uncle pete.. do you own a toy store?
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

So basically it's a $25 computer you can't really do anything with until you spend more money

yeah ripped off, i spent $700 on my desktop but the fuckin power company expect even more money so I can use it
THE COOLEST HOBBY
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Yeah I bought a sweet Asus mobo for my HTPC build, but then I realised I had to spend another $700 to do anything with it Fucking carbon tax.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759
yeah well I got DJ HERO 2 cleared to $20 but because I got the 360 version not the PS3 one I have to pay another ~$50 for a 360 wireless<->PC USB adaptor to be able to use it
welcome to Obama's America
THE COOLEST HOBBY
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
I get hungry every time I read this thread title.
Let Life Support and Dr Rudi do it right for you.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759
fat
THE COOLEST HOBBY
mxmai +

Times thanked
< 33
still got the order invite, gru? i'd be keen.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
PM sent

This weekend's project is to try and get some GP2X software running (which in theory is more viable than Pandora software due to [insert explanation about various differences in the ARM family]). Probably won't work, but I hope I can at least learn why it doesn't work. Which probably sounds like a dumb goal, but it's science so go to hell.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759
:science:
THE COOLEST HOBBY
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
My case is roughly together. Lots of finishing work to be done (final version probably won't include blu-tack) and I'm not using the proper power plug yet.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/f3PBJ

I think I need a smaller keyboard.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Fin.

Album (much the same as the last one): http://imgur.com/a/U8Nds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

(final version probably won't include blu-tack)

BZZZT

Last edited by Gruso: 09-Jun-12 at 02:09pm

RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759
do the buttons connect to GPIO?
THE COOLEST HOBBY
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Nothing like that yet. The power button is functional though.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759
ugh you're not sperging enough
THE COOLEST HOBBY
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
3,000 album views and a compliment from one of the Pi team. 5 seconds of internet fame unlocked.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
I think I've decided what to do with my Pi. Mini Arkanoid cabinet. (Yes it will use GPIO).
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759

Quote:

(Yes it will use GPIO).

sweeeeeeet

I assume you're fine to get GPIO working with all your software then?
THE COOLEST HOBBY
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Nope

Writing little Python apps to do Things with the GPIO looks pretty simple. Interfacing that with MAME, or converting to HID events, oh god I am not ready. There are already a few people looking at doing similar things, so hopefully someone coughs up a library or something.

Cheaters option is to use one of these instead: http://www.u-hid.com/home/index.php ...but I'll feel pretty lame if I do that.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Who'd have thought making an Arkanoid spinner was so easy?
Spoiler:
Yep, that's a circle of Sultana Bran box taped & screwed to a jar lid.

Le bottom (can I borrow ya compass bro)

Before coupling (sniggr)

Ready to rock.

Just a proof of concept, obviously. MAME maps paddle movement to mouse x axis, so you just have to make the mouse think it's moving. Pivot point + shit from recycle bin = profit.

As expected, a paddle controller is crucial to the Arkanoid. Plays nicely.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,110
You're cray
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
< 2,242
my number came up in the queue last night, ordered myself a pi, power cable and case.
XBMC server here we come!
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959

Quote:

Writing little Python apps to do Things with the GPIO looks pretty simple. Interfacing that with MAME, or converting to HID events, oh god I am not ready. There are already a few people looking at doing similar things, so hopefully someone coughs up a library or something.

Not sure why I thought sending key presses to the system from python would be complicated. I think os.system will take care of it.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,003
FishPi

Quote:

There’s a lot you can do with a Raspberry Pi. It’s a credit card-sized computer that costs next to nothing, and it’s about to become the brain of a tiny boat that its developer hopes will cross the Atlantic Ocean unaided.

It’s codenamed FishPi, and I’m already hungry. It’s going to consist of a Raspberry Pi computer, strapped to a solar panel and encased in a model boat that will navigate perilous seas all by itself.

Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Finally this is almost ready to ship: http://www.adafruit.com/products/801 (waiting for that before I start playing with GPIO)
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Not sure how to go about the cabinet itself. Building my own is not a good option, it will end up like this.

I have a major crush on the icade. Over $100 to get one (only to ditch the internals), but that's still way cheaper than the next lazy option. That one is way bigger too.

The main problem with the icade is the restriction on monitor choice. I think it will fit a 10-12" 4:3 monitor, which has to take HDMI. I found one in China, $120 and no idea of the quality. Bit of a gamble.

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,003

maybe commission this guy to build you one?
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Exactly.

[edit] That guy's build is sweeet. I don't think commissioning someone would be any better/cheaper than just buying one of those flatpack kits though. The icade is still winning for size, too...

Last edited by Gruso: 05-Jul-12 at 11:32am

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,003
would be highly amusing if IKEA had a flatpack arcade box called Sven or something
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
< 2,242
New IKEA Arkäd, flat pack affordable gaming.
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,433
Few questions...

What is the availability like for this?
With the one USB port can I add an attachment for further ports without straining it? (more so just for mouse and keyboard)
What is XBMC like running on this and is it easily installable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
I love this thread so much. Some quality spergin'. I want one. And I don't even know why I want one given I lack technical nous and prowess to do any damage with such a device.
Order my book Being Bi-Bi - a memoir on mental health and sexuality -here.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759
marshy

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

within a year of release I'd probably have like 3-5 of the fuckin things lying around my house doing insignificant tasks

current status: still haven't got around to ordering any
THE COOLEST HOBBY
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Check this yo - http://www.slashgear.com/raspberry-p...lass-22239706/

Pretty mad, back in uni days I did a course called Cybersociety and we discussed things like "ubiquitous computing" where computing was everywhere. Shit like Rasberry Pi makes that the sci-fi a reality.

But I agree with the point you're making RWS.

I got a Dingoo a320 after seeing this Inthemix thread and getting quite excited. It's stil functional and the Right Button has snapped off, but I haven't used it in a couple of years.

I do like my toys though, so we might do some further research.
Order my book Being Bi-Bi - a memoir on mental health and sexuality -here.
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
< 2,242

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkman View Post

Few questions...

What is the availability like for this?
With the one USB port can I add an attachment for further ports without straining it? (more so just for mouse and keyboard)
What is XBMC like running on this and is it easily installable?

i ordered mine about 5 weeks ago and was given a delivery timeframe of 12 weeks (so should be here soonish)
you have to go in a queue to order it, but my friend registered 2 weeks ago and was invited to place his order about a week after that, so the queue must have shortened significantly compared to when i registered.
you can attach powered usb hubs to it, as the power supply isnt enough to power many devices, but afaik as long as the usb hub is powered, you can add heaps of devices
looking at the websites and videos it seems like there is a bit of messing around to get XBMC working but that's all part of the fun, no?
I'll let you know how I go with mine as I plan to run it as an apple-tv style xbmc box. I'm not an IT guy so we shall see how hard it is...
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshwah View Post

But I agree with the point you're making RWS.

actually I wasn't trying to make a point, I just haven't ordered yet
finally got my first ever smartphone this year though, technology owns

but yeah the raspberry pi's cheapness is kinda lessened a bit when you factor in the extra costs of a powered hub and maybe also wifi dongle and/or battery power pack if you swing that way
THE COOLEST HOBBY
mxmai +

Times thanked
< 33
hey Gruso, mine arrived today, cheers for the order code dude.

fired up Raspbian Wheezy on it, realised my spare keyboard is PS/2 and not USB - derp. Still managed to SSH in though and got a TightVNC server going so i don't need to fuck around with keyboard and mouse.

Just in the process of trying to set it up as a PulseAudio network sink, so I can get the sound from my desktop XBMC to stream to the pi.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
^ Sweet, do post updates. I'm forging on with my Arkanoid machine (you should see my fuckin' spinner) but I also need a network music streamer thingy. The Arkanoid box is going to have powered speakers built in, so maybe I should dual purpose it...

For XBMC folk, options on the RPi are Raspbmc or Openelec. I'm not really following those projects, but these reddit searches should be helpful:

http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi...restrict_sr=on

http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi...restrict_sr=on

http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/ is good to browse in general, because it's a lot more end-user type stuff as opposed to the supersperging of the official forums. Hit the forums for real tech support though. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum

Remember that only certain codecs are supported by the GPU, so while it may be able to smash out 1080p x264, it will choke on anything that relies on the CPU to decode. It won't be as good as running XBMC on a PC. It should be better than say a modded ATV2 though.

And yeah you will probably sink some weekends into getting it all configured. At which point a sweet update will be released, and you'll be installing from scratch to take advantage of it. So the first thing you should do when you've installed XBMC is look for a plugin called "XBMC backup". It saves all your settings, plugins, network paths etc so you can reload it all after a fresh install. One will thank oneself.
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxmai View Post

hey Gruso, mine arrived today, cheers for the order code dude.

fired up Raspbian Wheezy on it, realised my spare keyboard is PS/2 and not USB - derp. Still managed to SSH in though and got a TightVNC server going so i don't need to fuck around with keyboard and mouse.

Just in the process of trying to set it up as a PulseAudio network sink, so I can get the sound from my desktop XBMC to stream to the pi.

Your avatar is going extremely well in time with the mix ianz posted here:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...4&postcount=17

(around the 14min30sec mark)
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Oh yeah, protip for anyone looking for a small, cheap HDMI monitor. Motorola Atrix Lapdock: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_t...&_sop=15&_sc=1

With some cable hackery you can turn it into a RPi laptop: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6747

My plan is to get one and harvest the screen for the Arkanoid box.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 16,959
Dude demonstrates his first use of the RPi.

http://imgur.com/a/Tirdq

I will never understand.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,003
i think this may have been mentioned somewhere already, but Camera Pi

dude stuck a pi in an old battery grip for his 5DII
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
< 2,242

Quote:

Dude demonstrates his first use of the RPi.

http://imgur.com/a/Tirdq

I will never understand.

ftge.

week 7 of my 12 week wait before dispatch.
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
< 623
My dad tried to give me one of these Rasberry Pis last week. I didn't know what it was so I gave it back to him.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,003
Iridis Pi supercomputer
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
< 2,242
Bump.
So my Pi arrived yesterday, even though I had never received a shipping confirmation, and no information in regards to the delay, apart from the email I got months ago advising of a 5 week delay. A quick check of the Pi website revelead that the reason for the delay is that Pi's are now shipping with 512mb of RAM instead of 256, which is pretty cool. Not sure how much of a difference it will make to me, but more is more, right?
Well, now to go put Raspbmc on it and hopefully get it running...

edit:
just realised I forgot to buy a UK to AU power plug adapter, so will have to wait til it arrives from ebay before i can fire up the Pi. Disappointing, but I've still gotta reorganise all the video files ready to be served to the Pi. I knew I'd forgotten to buy something for the Pi, picked up an 8GB SD card for $8 and 2m HDMI cable for $6, both from Aldi, but forgot about the power plug. derp.

Last edited by kasper_flip: 30-Oct-12 at 06:36pm

RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
< 18,759
power adapter? isn't it just powered over microUSB (which I guess people may not have any more since it's obsolete but you can probably still get at dickies or whatever)
THE COOLEST HOBBY
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
< 2,242
I bought the power cable with the Pi, but there was only the option for EU or US plugs, so that's why I need the power adapter. I was too lazy to research what plug the pi uses for power, so thought the plug adapter would be easier
BigGroovyFcuker +

Gurnstroker

Times thanked
< 2,250
somebody wanna build something using the sammy arndale and post up a tut?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post

ITM is, as far as I can see, the institute of trolls and memes. Alas and alack---it's time for my evening meal.

Infringing on copyrights since 1999

ITM 2012 NRL SC Champion

« Previous Thread Next Thread »