Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

Next Gen (8th gen) Consoles

Closed thread
Page 1 of 49
  Tools
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
< 4,678
Next Gen (8th gen) Consoles
So, its starting to happen finally, consoles are starting to move next gen, no longer falling behind the PC market.

possibly in front once released.

the Wii U looks pretty shit and a whole generation behind, but its the next Xbox (codnamed Loop), possibly named the Xbox Next, and the PS4 (i imagine) that we're all looking forward too.

so id mentioned before that i believed the next xbox will be anounced E3 2012 and released end of 2012 around November.

looking more likely now!

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/11/rum...-2012-release/

havent seen much about the PS4, though im not really researching it as much.
B_e_de +

It's more fun if you just follow the script

Times thanked
< 7,331
I'm keen to see what new media the next gen consoles will be using.

Blu-Ray as standard please.
KuRuPTeD +

you gonna get raped

Times thanked
< 1,389
who are you kidding, consoles will always be behind pc's
Chippie +

dm6

Times thanked
< 1,510
Resident Kotaku RSS feed J-Rod
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,345

Quote:

Originally Posted by KuRuPTeD View Post

^
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippie View Post

Resident Kotaku RSS feed J-Rod

J-rod for PM!
B_e_de +

Times thanked
< 7,331

Quote:

This.

But cross platform game dev is always going to focus on consoles first. Unless a game is purely intended for PC or has the budget to take it's time with the PC port (IE: GTA).
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
< 4,678
depends, ive read in a few sources that the new xbox is possibly having a processor faster than the current top of the range market PC processors.

but realistically, even if it does, i'd give it 1 month tops of being superior input device before PC overtakes again with newer tech
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,462
Doesn't the term superior input device refer to the keyboard and mouse and not the processor?
Oh God, I'm leaving this thread to you JRod.

BTW, here's the update on the Bioshock movie you said was coming.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/b...et-movie-made/
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/

Last edited by Whitey1981: 17-Nov-11 at 02:50pm

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,052

Quote:

Not necessarily, particularly if you look at it from a cost vs performance standpoint. Generally in the first year or so of a new generation consoles life cycle, the console will outstrip PC performance for the price you are paying ie $600 launch 360 playing Oblivion vs $600 PC at the time. This gap is shortening more and more with PC though.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,345

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

depends, ive read in a few sources that the new xbox is possibly having a processor faster than the current top of the range market PC processors.

but realistically, even if it does, i'd give it 1 month tops of being superior input device before PC overtakes again with newer tech

CPU is not an input device
Dante +

noided noided

Times thanked
< 1,214
and evidentally, jarrard is not an output device

next gen "xbox" is based on ARM processors ie RISC. to make the claim that it will be faster than a non-RISC processor is like comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited by Dante: 17-Nov-11 at 03:17pm

Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,687
I like the theory about the next Xbox being Windows 9 based. That would suggest ARM architecture, same as phones, tablets, and soon, laptops and nettops. Picture all of these devices being 100% compatible and running the same OS. MS wouldn't even have to take on Apple in the mobile market - with phones & tablets as powerful as the PS Vita but running Win9, you'd be taking your console games with you on your mobile.

Win8 is already running on ARM, and GFWL has been absorbed into XBL. They're totes going there.
B_e_de +

Times thanked
< 7,331

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

I like the theory about the next Xbox being Windows 9 based. That would suggest ARM architecture, same as phones, tablets, and soon, laptops and nettops. Picture all of these devices being 100% compatible and running the same OS. MS wouldn't even have to take on Apple in the mobile market - with phones & tablets as powerful as the PS Vita but running Win9, you'd be taking your console games with you on your mobile.

Win8 is already running on ARM, and GFWL has been absorbed into XBL. They're totes going there.

SweetJesus.gif

That'd be some serious next level business. Big chance of it being an iPhone slayer in the games market for sure... Provided they port Angry Cut The Rope Birds.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,462
Plants vs Zombies 3D.
crabman +

I might be a **** but I'm not a fucking ****.

Times thanked
< 8,299
Rename thread to Eighth Generation Consoles imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

الاستماع إلى ... ال التنفس المدينة.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,345
where'd you pull that number from?
crabman +

Times thanked
< 8,299
The Internet.

Quote:

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,687
Wikipedia says we're currently in the seventh generation. I'm sure debate rages on that.

Good idea though, 'nextgen' always comes off looking silly down the track. No offence Ian.
crabman +

Times thanked
< 8,299
Thanks pops.

Quote:

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,687
When we're in the same room, our spergstruation cycles synchronise.
Chippie +

dm6

Times thanked
< 1,510
It's surprising how the wii outsold both the 360 and PS3.
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,318
Proves just how many fat ****s there are in the world.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
Dante +

noided noided

Times thanked
< 1,214
It's not surprising to see Nintendo have delusions of grandeur in releasing a whole new way of playing video games... that degenerates into playing boring arsed mini games utilising a motion looking somewhat similar to masturbation.

Woohoo.. the console that people wank sold the most.
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,695
I find it amusing how people are comparing the current potential CPUs for consoles, when we don't expect those consoles until 2014, if not 2015. You do realise there is a high chance of instant obsolence at launch in comparison to cutting edge tech at that time?

So it's going to take us another 3 years to get to a level we could have been back in 2009, then we can recycle the stagnation of games development for an even longer period while they milk profits.

A new generation of consoles is fantastic because it will finally move the industry forward, but we're going to run into the same problems in the long run with this business model.
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,905
I hope the wii u is not a pee-u (and I hold my nose thusly)
Charger +

No.

Times thanked
< 953
The way MS just announced and shipped the 360 Slim simultaneously means I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to go Apple-esque with a cheeky E3 reveal and launch within the same year, whether that year is 2012 or 2013.

They certainly reaped rewards over Sony this gen by launching first, and I don't think they'll want to miss it this time either. Mind you Sony will probably be happy to let them go first and follow close behind so they they don't over-gear their product like the PS3.

Assassin's Creed finale as an exclusive launch title maybe?
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,678

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

I find it amusing how people are comparing the current potential CPUs for consoles, when we don't expect those consoles until 2014, if not 2015. You do realise there is a high chance of instant obsolence at launch in comparison to cutting edge tech at that time?

So it's going to take us another 3 years to get to a level we could have been back in 2009, then we can recycle the stagnation of games development for an even longer period while they milk profits.

A new generation of consoles is fantastic because it will finally move the industry forward, but we're going to run into the same problems in the long run with this business model.

did you not read the OP?

consoles are looking to be released MUCH earlier than expected

xbox is rumoured to be expected either 2012 christmas or 2013 christmas.
rumours started off 2013 now trending towards 2012.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,462
I just don't see the need for a new generation for M$ and P$.
I'm happy for Nintendo to churn our a new system, purely to play the Wii games I am missing now on a tablet style device when watching TV.
For me that demo of playing on TV or on device is perfect.

I don't read many interviews but I don't think there are too many devs that are saying they want to go a new gen.
The graphics are good now on the consoles, there just aren't that many games that show it.

I don't think the games are being limited, there's too few Uncharted looking games and too many terrible looking ones.

I do think though that both M$ and P$ need to start pushing their respective motion controllers more.
Move has to be the most pathetic product launch in the history of gaming since the SEGA MEGA CD.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,264

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Wikipedia says we're currently in the seventh generation. I'm sure debate rages on that.

Good idea though, 'nextgen' always comes off looking silly down the track. No offence Ian.

Why you gotta be like that?

I stand by my thread title.

FUCK YOU.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,678
i completely disagree with you there whitey.
way off the mark.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,462
Which part?
Let's engage in a discussion.
The Summit is ready for your next gen key note.

B_e_de +

Times thanked
< 7,331
Can I be the first speaker? I've got a bunch of Chapelle Show jokes that'd go down really well with this crowd.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,264
"Has anyone noticed that Obama rhymes with Osama?"
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,462

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

Can I be the first speaker? I've got a bunch of Chapelle Show jokes that'd go down really well with this crowd.

Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,462

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

"Has anyone noticed that Obama rhymes with Osama?"

Funny story with this.
I arrived in NY 2 days after Osama was killed.
They were selling 'Obama got Osama' shirts in Times Square.
Pissed I didn't end up buying one.

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,678
that its not needed and devs dont want it.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,462
Well I dont know about everyone else but Im happy with that indepth response.

But seriously, whos saying a new gen in consoles is needed? Please dont link Kotaku as a response.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,462
The thing I think the industry needs is innovation in the games theyre making. The graphics arent that great in the majority, the stories arent very engaging and new IP is getting tossed aside in favour of sequels.

DNW new gen just to play MW5.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,264
We need more studios like Platinum, basically.

And stupid ****s need to support their fucking games.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,462
Subtle.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,678
how many games have been dumbed down to fit on consoles?

how many games could have been better if the consoles had higher capabilities.

theres loads man, theyve hit the top of hte capabilities of the current gen meaning they need more powerful systems.

it feels like you're abbott and im gillard and you're attack is to just disagree with everything im saying
B_e_de +

Times thanked
< 7,331
Funding a brand new innovative AAA IP is absolutely bollocks nowadays though. The big names don't want to head towards innovation simply because it isn't as profitable as churning out MW5. Remember EA and Mirrors Edge? It's pretty much that THQ tried creating new IPs but they were just clones of popular trends at the time ('Homefront' comes to mind and EAs MMA fighter series). I'm almost willing to be dollars to donuts that that's the sole reason why Alan Wake 2 is going to be an XBLA title and not a full fledged release.

Same goes with movies. Studios just want AAA profitable blockbusters.

So with this new generation of consoles, are we actually going to see innovative games that can take advantage of unique aspects of new hardware? Or are we just going to have more detailed graphics, higher FPS counts and more bad guys on our screen at one time? (and quicker page loading sequenceseseses~)
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,678
i think a bit of both.

im all for sequals, as long as they add innovations on the previous games and make them better.

when its just churning out games with the same engines and subtle differences (i.e. COD) that annoys me.

but alot of games arent pushing the bounderies to do more at the moment because simply, they cant with current gen consoles.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,264
What boundaries are you talking about? What amazing new features do you want to see?

You talk about games being "better" with new hardware but I'm failing to see how you're quantifying this ephemerous quality.
B_e_de +

Times thanked
< 7,331

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

I think a bit of both.

I'm all for sequels, as long as they add innovations on the previous games and make them better.

when its just churning out games with the same engines and subtle differences (i.e. COD) that annoys me.

but a lot of games arent pushing the boundaries to do more at the moment because, simply, they can't with current gen consoles.

But what boundaries are there to push? Current hardware isn't nessacarily limited by it's processing capability, that can only add more detail and objects to a game and hardly fuels proper innovation. Innovation stems from unique ideas and experimentation. Something that Molyneux harps on about all the time (to the point of ludicrous). The evolution of how Kinect will be used for 360 will play a huge part in what boundaries can be pushed in regards to user input, but overall the current gen of consoles are more than capable of processing a 'great idea'.

Indie game studios are at the forefront of new ideas and concepts, and they don't even use current hardware to their fullest capability.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,264

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

But what boundaries are there to push? Current hardware isn't necessarily limited by it's processing capability, that can only add more detail and objects to a game. Innovation stems from unique ideas and experimentation. Something that Molyneux harps on about all the time (to the point of ludicrous). The evolution of how Kinect will be used for 360 will play a huge part in what boundaries can be pushed in regards to user input, but overall the current gen of consoles are more than capable of processing a 'great idea'.

(sorry, couldn't resist <3 )
B_e_de +

Times thanked
< 7,331
I ninja edited after I posted and that was one of the first things I picked up

EDIT: So my question is, what's going to be the Shadows Of The Collosus/Perfect Dark of this current generation? As in, games that are brilliant, innovative and pushing the boundaries of the current generation just as it's about to die out? Are we going to see something like this again just before the new generation of console hardware comes out and instead turns all the new releases to "stuff you've played before but prettier and with more detail" and pushes creativity to the back of the line.

It's weird saying this, but it looks like Wii-U will actually be at the forefront of unique innovative gameplay experiences for the first part of this new generation... Unless all that new tech is going to go towards Nintendos typical "RELEASE A NEW MARIO, ZELDA, HARVEST MOON, METROID AND MARIOKART ASAP" mentality.

Last edited by B_e_de: 18-Nov-11 at 10:19am

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,678
i think BF3 is a good example of the limitations imposed from the current gen consoles.

sure you can do each thing individually, but doing it all at once, the system cant handle it, so they had to nerf certain areas to get it that good.

ways an improved console could improve games

graphics
faster FPS
more happening at once
smoother movement
etc etc etc

just think about what games are like on pc, and what theyre like on console. pretty obvious consoles could be improved.
B_e_de +

Times thanked
< 7,331
They're just the same improvements that are stock standard with every new generation. Sound, graphics and object detail and amount of objects on the screen at the same time.

I haven't played Battlefield 3 yet, but if what you say is true then that's a good example of current titles reaching this generations limitations.
Page 1 of 49
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »