AFL season 2012

Closed thread
  Tools
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
AFL season 2012
it's just about that time fellas....

how is your club shaping up in pre season and what are your predictions?

personally, i'm quietly confident mccartney has given the dogs the boost we need to get back in finals contention, cooney and lake have done 90% of pre season and look in really good shape and the general size of the playing group (from pics posted on the dogs facebook page) is pretty impressive.
franko123 +

Hello, this is your captain speaking.

Times thanked
< 861
west coast eagles 2012 champions.. heard it here first
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
lol

but srs... is this the year geelong finally slide?

im also tipping the pies to flunk, they'll get figured out without mick there. fingers crossed
elhadjihenry +

Times thanked
< 743
blues vs hawks gf
deck +

Fuck the security guards!

Times thanked
< 4,374
^ The pies will play one of those two in the GF. Coll vs Carlton GF would be epic. Or a final at least.
thomo78 +

Times thanked
< 19
Hawks/Geelong/Magpies will be up there again. Freo should make it to the finals this year. The Eagles I think will not repeat their effort of last year but might still scrape in the 8.
sneaky hands +

green

Times thanked
< 56
i cant see a reason for the top 8 to be dramatically different this year to last year

imo freo and north melbourne might force their way in.

barring injuries the hawks, blues and eagles will be even better this year. I think collingwood have peaked but could still win it all. The cats won't be as good but still good enough to beat anyone on their day.

on paper, hawks to win it all. They were minutes from a grand final match up v geelong and were the clear third best side last year, and have seen some major improvements in their side over the summer. Their forward line is more dangerous than ever with the return of roughhead, the recruiting of gunston, and bruest hopefully getting more games under his belt. The backline is finally fairly settled, and their youngsters like smith, puopolo and shiels should all be improved. Their biggest weakness is their midfield doesn't have a whole lot of pace.

i still think collingwood, geelong and hawthorn are the elite teams in the comp. Don't think the blues are there yet although it's a long season and if they peak at the right time, who knows? St Kilda might surprise a few people too.
Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Times thanked
< 308
Port to be the big mover. 16th to 11th.
http://soundcloud.com/blue-tune
zealbee +

Times thanked
< 121
Lions to bring up the rear again. I can't wait to see the Giants get smashed week after week, do you think they will win a single game?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carte Blanche

Hardstyle isn't music. It's not anything, except perhaps complete garbage. It should really be discussed in the lifestyle forum, as in "I'm leading a lifestyle devoid of taste" or perhaps the food forum "I consume far too many drugs for my own good".

Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,439
Hawks going along nicely. Got some decent new guys in the draft/trades and haven't had any major injuries over the pre-season. Roughy coming along nicely and with Gunston there's no need to rush Roughy back. Should be an interesting year
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,934
Top 4 for me will be in no particular order Hawks, Pies, Blues, Eagles

Cats, Freo, Bombers, Dogs, North, Saints to battle it out for bottom half of 8
"My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence"

#BRTG
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
swans? forgot them or no chance vbg?

anyone got any vibe on the tigers? perennial failures all round but you would think that they've had enough time to settle the youngsters and 'new' coach and actually achieve something, probably my finals smokey along with brisbane and i reckon north are my tip to shake up the order of the top 8. should be interesting to see how the eagles go as i think more teams will have figured out the forward press which was the hallmark of their season.

really keen to see gws get spanked on a regular basis and all their little 'prospects' get home sick.
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,610
I like Freo with a full list and new coach.

Unsure about Blues....a lot depends on Jamisons fitness.

We only just lost in Perth without a fit Jamo, Gibbs, Waite and Kreuzer and plenty of improvement left in the likes of Kreuzer, Henderson, Warnock, Touhy, Laidler, Robinson, Laidler etc so top 4 is about par. Think it will be hard to go further than that though unless someone steps up to fill a key forward position.

Not convinced by Eagles as finishing top 4 again...I think a lot of things went right for them last year. Same goes for Geelong without Ling, Otten etc.

Top 4: Pies, Hawks, Blues, Freo.
hurley18 +

Ticket Inspector

Times thanked
< 208
Top 4: Pies, Hawks, Cats, Saints

Wooden spooners: Port
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,610
As much as I want them to do well this year, can't see the Saints getting near top 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmondtigers

His father had a sex change when his mum wanted a kid.

He mutilated his vagina not long afterwards.

To this day it is still in bad shape.

zealbee +

Times thanked
< 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm View Post

As much as I want them to do well this year, can't see the Saints getting near top 4.

Yeah agreed. Think they may struggle a bit.

My top 4:

Hawthorn
Collingwood
Carlton
Fremantle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carte Blanche

Hardstyle isn't music. It's not anything, except perhaps complete garbage. It should really be discussed in the lifestyle forum, as in "I'm leading a lifestyle devoid of taste" or perhaps the food forum "I consume far too many drugs for my own good".

hurley18 +

Ticket Inspector

Times thanked
< 208

Quote:

they have just as much a chance as carlton imo
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,610
I don't think so....Saints list falls away rapidly after their stars and losing Lyon will affect them.

Quote:

dart +

marching up and down the square

Times thanked
< 360

Quote:

Originally Posted by chegoon View Post

it's just about that time fellas....

how is your club shaping up in pre season and what are your predictions?

personally, i'm quietly confident mccartney has given the dogs the boost we need to get back in finals contention, cooney and lake have done 90% of pre season and look in really good shape and the general size of the playing group (from pics posted on the dogs facebook page) is pretty impressive.

based on your indepth analysis i'm going to predict we'll be somewhere 5th-8th

maybe win a final, maybe two and make a prelim.

if we do you can be sure we'll lose it in some cruel manner.

can't wait!
Full Frequency Wednesdays on RTR FM 92.1 ~ www.rtrfm.com.au

www.inthemix.com.au/forum ~ known troublemaker
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,610
Pre season size is always a bit misleading. Dudes bulk up epically in first few months but once the serious running starts ni jan they strip back a bit.

Quote:

Faulks +

Flippin the bird

Times thanked
< 1
Everyone forgets about the Swans.. They will trouble teams again this year and will finish around 5 or 6...
Taking out Geelong and West Coast at home last year was no fluke and their kids are developing very well.
Pancho +

boom.

Times thanked
< 189

Swans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by write my name

No offense brain surgeon - but what hard facts do you have that cousins has ever done a drug?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm

Pies genuinely no good this year

weekender +

Times thanked
< 548
I like the cut of your jib, Mr Faulks
"Old enough to know better"
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,718
@ Lollywobbles.

Laughing at the Swans: pfffft! Pathetic. Patheticly pathetic. I think we've only missed the Top 8 three times in 15 years. And many of the years we have made it we were discounted at the start of the season.

Having said that, I think we will be doing pretty well if we get 5th or 6th this year.
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028

Quote:

Originally Posted by dart View Post

based on your indepth analysis i'm going to predict we'll be somewhere 5th-8th

maybe win a final, maybe two and make a prelim.

if we do you can be sure we'll lose it in some cruel manner.

can't wait!

ahh the pain of it all

re swans : any team with adam goodes in it will make finals
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,718
Chegoon knows. Pauncho doesn't.
Pancho +

boom.

Times thanked
< 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

@ Lollywobbles.

Laughing at the Swans: pfffft! Pathetic. Patheticly pathetic. I think we've only missed the Top 8 three times in 15 years. And many of the years we have made it we were discounted at the start of the season.

Having said that, I think we will be doing pretty well if we get 5th or 6th this year.

oh have a fukn sook pal

finals contenders yes. challengers certainly not.

making up the numbers ( again ).

Quote:

No offense brain surgeon - but what hard facts do you have that cousins has ever done a drug?

Quote:

Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,718

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancho View Post

oh have a fukn sook pal

finals contenders yes. challengers certainly not.

making up the numbers ( again ).

You laughed at them making the finals, well that's what it seemed like seeing as no one has even suggested they would be challenging. Faulks merely stated the obvious; the Swans will trouble many top teams again this year. Making the finals more years than not is nothing to be sneezed at, and unlike the Wobblies, we don't have the luxury of being able to bottom out for a few years so we can get top draft picks.

Eat that shit yo.
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
looks like freo will once again be the most overrated team in the league
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,934
I think the swans might fall away this year.

But I say that most years and they prove me wrong.

I like the swans, so happy to be proven wrong.

I will be especially interested in how the Dees go.
Pancho +

boom.

Times thanked
< 189
i was laughing at the Swans 'troubling top teams'. not making finals. ive said previously Swans have done exceptionally well year after year to make the finals without bottoming out.

Swans troubling the top teams this year is stating the obvious ? since when ? bit of a stretch there imo. dont have the big guns to challenge the Hawks and Pies.

congratulations on never bottoming out. make sure you collect your also-ran medallions again at the end of the season.

Quote:

Quote:

Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,610
Don't agree. Lyon is a good coach and will get the most out of that group and it's easy to forget how utterly f&^ked they were by injuries last year. Top 4 might be a bit optimistic but I think they can go close.

Pancho, you seem bitter bro. Is it because the Pies folded like a cheap suit on GF day?

Quote:

VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,934
The swans have played in and won the same number of grand finals as collingwood in the last half a dozen years.
gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

Times thanked
< 837

Quote:

Originally Posted by zealbee View Post

I can't wait to see the Giants get smashed week after week, do you think they will win a single game?

Yeah, I can see them winning one or two.
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,610
Reckon the view of the Swans as a group of battlers who get the most out of themselves has to change. With the likes of Hannebury, Kennedy, Jetta, Rohan and Reid they've got some serious talent now and that Mitchell they picked up sounds like a superstar in the making. Only question mark is whether the likes of Goodes, Bolton, Mumford etc are still procuing when those dudes mature.

plus Tommy Walsh is going to be a star.

Quote:

chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
@ giants : hopefully none
Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,439
Selwood the new captain of Geelong, as expected.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,718

Quote:

i was laughing at the Swans 'troubling top teams'. not making finals. ive said previously Swans have done exceptionally well year after year to make the finals without bottoming out.

Swans troubling the top teams this year is stating the obvious ? since when ? bit of a stretch there imo. dont have the big guns to challenge the Hawks and Pies.

congratulations on never bottoming out. make sure you collect your also-ran medallions again at the end of the season.

We beat Geelong down at Skilled, we troubled Collingwood in round14, and we beat West Coast. TBF we did get pantsed by Carlton and the Hawks but we have a pretty decent record against everyone other than the Pies and the Catters in the last 15 years, so what you are saying is utter wank.
Pancho +

boom.

Times thanked
< 189

Quote:

Pancho, you seem bitter bro. Is it because the Pies folded like a cheap suit on GF day?

far from bitter. no shame losing to one of the great sides.

Had we lost to a team like a Carlton or a Sydney, yes i would be very bitter. fortunately, we didnt.

Quote:

Quote:

Pancho +

boom.

Times thanked
< 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

We beat Geelong down at Skilled, we troubled Collingwood in round14, and we beat West Coast. TBF we did get pantsed by Carlton and the Hawks but we have a pretty decent record against everyone other than the Pies and the Catters in the last 15 years, so what you are saying is utter wank.

i said THIS YEAR. they would struggle to trouble the top teams THIS YEAR

perhaps you should open your other eye and read my posts properly.

Quote:

Quote:

chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028

Quote:

Don't agree. Lyon is a good coach and will get the most out of that group and it's easy to forget how utterly f&^ked they were by injuries last year. Top 4 might be a bit optimistic but I think they can go close.

is lyon a good coach? im still sus... i have plenty of mates that are saints who hated him even when they were winning, considering they did almost definitely have the best and potentially most exciting to watch list in the league for 3 or so years through arse fucking several drafts and made them play suffocating bore fest footy, which (while a bit unlucky) was their downfall in my opinion.

the list he has at freo has some good players, no doubt, but i personally think its on par with norths and not even close to what he had at his disposal at st kilda and also sydney when he was an assistant there. pav is getting on and sandilands seemed fairly unreliable fitness wise last season (plantar fasciitis is a legit **** of an injury). if they didn't have 12 games at subi this year they wouldn't get close, just my opinion, if im wrong then im happy to cop it.
gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 837
Collingwood have a pretty solid core and young enough group to power ahead again. Who do they lose from last year's GF? Leigh Brown? Leon Davis? Big deal, really. Collingwood for PM.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,718

Quote:

i said THIS YEAR. they would struggle to trouble the top teams THIS YEAR

perhaps you should open your other eye and read my posts properly.

Well we have pretty much the same team as last year which beat Geelong, and West Coast, and troubled Carlton and Collingwood in our home games, our young'uns should improve on last year, especially Rohan and Reid, so I'd still say what you are saying is unfounded.

Time will tell I guess.
gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 837
Sydney also lost to Richmond and Fremantle. They can trouble my balls.
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,610

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravyishot View Post

Collingwood have a pretty solid core and young enough group to power ahead again. Who do they lose from last year's GF? Leigh Brown? Leon Davis? Big deal, really. Collingwood for PM.

True...

Leon Davis would have to be one of the worst AA defenders in modern history. No one seems to give a shit that he's gone.

Quote:

big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 16,159

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravyishot View Post

Malthouse

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 837
Nah. Collingwood have so many coaches these days the players probably spoke to him for about an hour a week.
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
they also lost neeld and watters...
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 16,159
Shit, I didn't know the pies had picked up Eade as an assistant too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

gravyishot +

Times thanked
< 837
By contrast, Geelong had lost Ken Hinkley, Bomber Thompson, Brendan McCartney etc over the years before the 2011 season. A well run club takes more than just the head coach. Collingwood will probably be better off with fresh ideas and some hunger. The talent is certainly there.

Collingwood will probably go 18-4 in the regular season and demolish everyone in finals. That is my prediction.
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »