The DJ Booth

wtf ! CDJs, traktor s4 = ;D

Page 2 of 4
  Tools
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
<
and there's plenty of kids out there with little to no experience and an attitude to boot to compete against

abstract electronica and drone. lights off, cans on, freak out...
Slavo_Pendulum +

Times thanked
<
Your making a fool of yourself dude. Just listen to the advice? If you wanna get serious about dj'ing you can't just rely on a laptop and an s4 controller. They're great things to use but its just not enough when dj'ing in clubs and stuff.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Yeah sure, heaps of clubs. There definitley isn't enough DJs to meet the demand.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFROwookie View Post

if the place cant take my equipement then ill will go elsewhere there are plenty of fish in the sea. And you think people will loose it and through shit just because the music stopped due to the program freezing thats all. It not very likely anyway

As someone who books a lot of dj's for gigs i can assure you that DJ's are not in short supply.

And i can doubley assure you that if a DJ i booked had his equipment drop out and wasnt prepared with a back up, they'd never get booked again.
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
ikki +

Times thanked
<
You'd be amazed at how often drinks are spilled in DJ booths, and for some reason laptops don't like liquids. I guess you'll only learn when (not if) it happens to you. It never hurts to have a back-up.

DJ's, venues and more importantly punters will take you seriously if your able to transition seamlessly if you have equipment failure.
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:

NOOO the fish are the clubs there are plenty of clubs i can go to

oh good god you have a lot to learn
soundcloud
mixcloud
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
So back the original post...

The other DJ was going to give you free advice/a lesson CDJs....

and you turned it down? Isnt this just arrogant and ignorant to start off with?

Im sure if someone bought in controller i hadnt seen as was willing to give me a go i'd be up for it.
Tech-One
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Gold thread is gold!

OP has a chip on his shoulder the size of fucking Africa...and is a douchebag to boot...you're gonna go far, kid, real far
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
<
Sad thing is there might be some truth to your last statement.
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,398 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

oh shit

Sorry coner, i had too

A'ight man, I'll cop that. I need to update it - I was new and obnoxious. Looking back on it though...

EDIT: Changed my about. It's still a bit wonky, but a lot less wishy - washy. Hey, at least people are on my soundcloud.
Bet no-one listened to my track or followed... Nope, they didn't.

Ed - Thanks, and I concur.
stubs +

0.o

Times thanked
<
^ if you wrote it, why do you refer to yourself in the third person?
BobRifo +

Times thanked
<
ill teach you to play on CDJs if you teach me the english
Conor- +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubs View Post

^ if you wrote it, why do you refer to yourself in the third person?

Coz that way, it makes me look rich enough to hire someone to write about myself.

Just feels weird writing 'I'. I don't know why. Probably makes me feels like an author when he/she writes the bit at the back of the book...
Conor- +

Times thanked
<
While we are on the topic of soundclouds and dj mixes - terrible segway, I know - how do you record your mix to a laptop? What programs do you need andwhat cords do you need?
Need to get the ball rolling on this one.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...6&postcount=50
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
^nice.
Tech-One
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts
I'm just going on record and saying that OP's avatar creeps me the fuck out.
prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper_flip View Post

I'm just going on record and saying that OP's avatar creeps me the fuck out.

kinda matches the quality of his posting though, iykwim

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

My muzza's are more tanked up than your muzzas!

Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
Anytime I use a laptop out (which is a lot), the first thing I do is a load a CD and make sure it's on a track with a nice beatless begining...if the laptop has an issue, it's straight over to CDs.

As for the OP, seriously dude, relax a bit and take the advice of the guys and girls here - they have lots of experience and know what they are talking about. There's sooooo many young DJs with a 'I'm so shit hot' attitude who quickly crash and burn - relax a bit and you might learn something.
All mixes, tunes and gigs info at Kazuki.com.au
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
ha ha this is a hilarious thread and really enjoyed reading.

honestly mate you are not taking good advice here at all. You will look like a complete idiot when your laptop crashes and the music stops if you havnt got a back up plan in place ! Dave has summed up in a nutshell the reality of what happens when your laptop freezes and how to get around it. take the advice mate instead of showing your age....The way your going it will be your 1st and last gig with that attitude. take a step back and take on the advice without the chip on your shoulder from the more experienced players please!!

A strong point to take note is that most clubs don't have room for controllers and maybe space for a laptop if you are lucky let alone a monster like the S4 controller. The sound is way way better from the cdj wolfsons dacs then then crappy S4 Cirrus Dacs as well but thats another discussion.

We are not saying don't use dont use traktor or your S4, they are powerfull tools and great fun > just that it would be more benificial to learn the basics without the software first. if you can and have already learnt then cool, if you can't then learn quickly if you want a decent career out of djing.
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
Still - use the S4 to your advantage. The slip-wheels are great, and if you load up a track, but don't look at the screen, and then pitchshift and beatmatch by ear as you would a CDJ you can learn to mix that way. It will only take a few hours to be able to do the same on CDJs when you get the chance after a bit of practise...
All mixes, tunes and gigs info at Kazuki.com.au
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
thats true indeed that you can learn to a certain degree by turning off the bpm readings, phase meter and using the S4s pitch though i am not sure if it feels the same as beat matching on cdjs and how well you would be able to perform the same task> though i agree wouldnt take long...

i guess that the original forum entry was that the S4 user couldnt understand the response he got on his first gig when using an S4. I guess it would be useful to explain the mentality why the controller dj will always have a hard time.

heres why

* dj booth has 2 cdj 2000's and one djm 900/800 which in djs mind is being spoilt and cant wait to get behind the controls > new young dj rocks up with a huge plastic controller and laptop and plugs in his equipment to the mixer and people go WHY!!!!!!!

they naturally assume its because

A. He cant mix on cdjs as anyone can beatmatch using traktor?

B. He cant use the pro dj equipment infront of him?

Also anyone who is a dj or sound engineer knows that you are sacrificing a massive amount of sound quality using the S4's soundcard over the cdj 2000's. All the advanced tricks of using the S4 will be lost on most clubbers who will just want two well selected killer tunes to be mixed from point A to B with slight modificaitons. If that s4 crashes (as they do frequenty) and you are unable to switch to cdjs you will be unlikely you will be booked again and those 30secs downtime will have the clubbers extrememly unhappy.

Djs have to fit into the club environment and use what equipment is avaliable. If you say to a club that you have to accomodate an S4 and laptop only there will be 20+ djs>(10 of which will be as good or better) lining up behind you with usb sticks and cds ready to take your place.

I am not knocking the S4> i have used one and think its a great bit of kit and have traktor scratch pro 2 and a vci100 controller as well as cdj 900's at home. i am just saying that the S4 may not have such a strong place in a club as the industry standard cdjs and mixer at the moment and in the meantime until things change then it would be wise to learn all tools of the trade and maybe think about using the S4 at home to make killer mixes with all the tricks of using a controller and taking a usb stick and cds to a club gig.
Kent +

Times thanked
<
^ Interesting thoughts. Similar to how I feel when I see 1200s being used as a drink coaster.
stuff
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent View Post

^ Interesting thoughts. Similar to how I feel when I see 1200s being used as a drink coaster.

The last time I took records to a gig I was told that the the tuntables had no needles and were only there so DJs could store CDs on them while they play.

CDs are safe.

trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

The last time I took records to a gig I was told that the the tuntables had no needles and were only there so DJs could store CDs on them while they play.

CDs are safe.

Why did you turn up to a gig to play vinyl and not bring your own needles anyway? It goes without saying if your going to play wax at a venue you bring your own needles, slipmats etc. I sure as hell wouldn't want to put a clubs abused needles (if they existed in the first place) on my records let alone put a piece of wax on the slipmats which as stated above have been used as a drink coaster for the past few years.

Perhaps that's just me........
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
i have an S4 and have taken it to gigs. The only reason is to be able to take full advantage of the kontroller by using the sample decks/loops and effects etc. If you take an S4 to a gig and use it no differently to a pair of cdjs, whats the point?

the S4 can function just like a pair of cdjs (without using sync feature), so its a great tool to practice on, but unless your going to take full advantage of its features, why take it to a gig? use tarktor with cdj2000's like i mentioned. theres nothing wrong with that
soundcloud
mixcloud
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts
It's nice to see you finally grew up AFROwookie

Spoiler:
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds´╗┐ we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouble hifire View Post

Why did you turn up to a gig to play vinyl and not bring your own needles anyway? It goes without saying if your going to play wax at a venue you bring your own needles, slipmats etc. I sure as hell wouldn't want to put a clubs abused needles (if they existed in the first place) on my records let alone put a piece of wax on the slipmats which as stated above have been used as a drink coaster for the past few years.

What's even more bizare is that International acts seem to never bring their own needles / slip mats with them.....i have to run around last minute saturday to buy some just for the act to use.

I wouldnt dare trust a venue to have decent ones to use
Playing at;

SHRUG
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
^ 100% if you're playing wax you gotta bring your own carts/headshells...never was one for bringning slipmatts, back in the day you didn't need to, but yes, now days it's probably a good idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post

It's nice to see you finally grew up AFROwookie

Spoiler:

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
It's not my posting style to make cheap shots at people but i just stumbled upon this and thought it belongs here

For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

What's even more bizare is that International acts seem to never bring their own needles / slip mats with them.....i have to run around last minute saturday to buy some just for the act to use.

I wouldnt dare trust a venue to have decent ones to use

That amazes me. Internationals of all people should have their own basic gear. God knows I wouldn't want to turn up to a gig not bringing my own gear to find some dodgy stanton needles that won't hug the grooves.

Catch me playing @

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
I don't know...locals, yeah, sure...but if you're international calibre and being booked as such, wouldn't you expect to be provided with the equipment you need to perform?

At the very least, they should clarify what's needed/wanted so they don't get caught out, but I kinda think they shouldn't have to bring needles and slipmats...I know if I was booking an international whom I KNEW would be playing wax, I'd have the shit sorted for them

m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
I've booked an international before that turned up without needles, couldn't believe it!
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
sd88me +

Times thanked
<
carts are a personal choice and needles are a consumable item, i dont reckon they should be assumed. maybe if they were in a rider, sure.

if i was a big shot international with lots of $$$, i would be bringing the best carts money can buy with me everywhere considering its the first item in the signal chain. no way i would rely on whatever is available fromt he promoter!
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

I've booked an international before that turned up without needles, couldn't believe it!

I can't believe as a promoter you didn't discuss his needs/requirements prior to the night...that's more unprofessional than him not bringing them imo

Seriously, if you're an international DJ, your head is up your ass, you assume everything is going to be provided ready for you to walk up and play...and it SHOULD be

What's next, expect them to bring their own CDJ 2000's?!?!

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
it should be in their tech rider if its required.....
Playing at;

SHRUG
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
<
yeah i have to agree to an extent, 'big/famous internationals would never have to bring there own needles... but their managment and the promoter would have a technical rider arranged prior.

but in the digital age, when the vinyl dj is not as prominent, you would excpect most to have their own.
but i guess, as a promoter you should never assume.
the moral of the story is after you've played your first gig, ever, clearly using the S4 makes you the greatest dj in the world
soundcloud
mixcloud
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
^ TRUTH!

sd88me +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

I can't believe as a promoter you didn't discuss his needs/requirements prior to the night...that's more unprofessional than him not bringing them imo

Seriously, if you're an international DJ, your head is up your ass, you assume everything is going to be provided ready for you to walk up and play...and it SHOULD be

What's next, expect them to bring their own CDJ 2000's?!?!

thats what the rider is for, if not it is pretty well accepted and the norm to expect at least two cdj's of some sort.

in m_xt and I's case, their rider did not specify and that is the only communication we had with the artist.. we didnt exactly get their phone number...
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd88me View Post

carts are a personal choice and needles are a consumable item, i dont reckon they should be assumed. maybe if they were in a rider, sure.

if i was a big shot international with lots of $$$, i would be bringing the best carts money can buy with me everywhere considering its the first item in the signal chain. no way i would rely on whatever is available fromt he promoter!

I agree with this one, every international I have played with who was on wax all brought their own carts. Everyone spins their records in a particular way and a pair of ortofon pro-s carts are not going to cut it for a heavy handed dj without over weighting them and destroying the sound. Plus you never know how needles are going to hold up until your playing (something I have had to deal with on a number of occasions).

As for slipmats again I think that's a personal choice thing. Even if there is a pair of nice rugs on the decks when I turn up I always switch them over in favour of my Dilla donuts as I know exactly how they spin on a pair of 12's.

Catch me playing @

Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<
first thing I learned as a Dj - don't share needles!
sd88me +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas View Post

first thing I learned as a Dj - don't share needles!

most deff! also dont let noobs near ur needles!

anyway this has nothing to do with thread haha
m_xt +

Times thanked
<
ha ha OP hasn't even replied for like 2 pages.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
sd88me +

Times thanked
<
OP is probably dead from all the internet flames. burnt to a crisp!
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
I heard the OP is booked to play at the next big festival... or so he says.
Tech-One
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouble hifire View Post

Hmm probably a valid point, I hadn't used vinyl playing out for about 4-5 years and the last time I did everything was in working order, never really needed to bring my own needles n shit.

b_bop +

Times thanked
<
I'm having a few beers and playing some records so bear with me. These kids are easy targets and it's fun to pay them out. But if you think about how they came up its a bit mean.

I was on dance floors and getting trashed in the late 90's. Wonderful time. I started with Tony de vit and Nik Fish and got smarter and heard Nick Warren Brazil. I was trashed and it sounded like nothing I had ever heard. That's when music became more than background music to my partying and became what I cared about.

I was in Canberra at the time and this Scottish DJ called "Snowy" came on at the one and only rave held at the Australian Aquarium - "the bomb" and played breaks. The ravers hated it. The bass killed a few rare fish in the end as an aside.

So I enjoyed the hard dance but picked up on the subtle brilliance of break beat.

Point is, I cared about music now and I started going to Heaven, the only dance club in Canberra. Jono Fernandez was a resident and i have fond memories of being in that nightclub at 9, 10, 11am while he and Barry Barton were playing amazing prog. If you stayed till the morning the transvestite club manager joined you on the dance floor.

I wondered what the amazing stuff that was being played was. I started train spotting. Landspeed records had that underground vinyl. I knew I needed turntables so I got a pair of shitty belt drives and a mixer off a mate.

Now I could buy and play the music I loved. Start buying wax and the staff get to know you. I was buying obvious GU tunes and then they started saying "oi we have some new prog in, check out this". Bliss

You end up with a pile in front of you, it takes time to work through but what a joy. Back and forward with the staff "that goes nowhere" .... "really I thought that has a mad driving groove".

Then I moved to Sydney and it was all about Central Station. Used to go in there still high and Andrew James of all people gave me the heads up. Then I discovered Reachin and later Spank. That's a whole day searching for beats and a lifestyle.

Spank was the best, great banter and great people. Spent a shed load there. I have a degree and a full time job but my Mrs says "why have you been buying this stuff if you never play it for anyone?"

So I push for gigs and I get a few. Playing prog to the uninitiated at Candys being a highlight. The back room bouncing to prog breaks, Hernan Warsaw into Shiloh, Gwill Morris mix of Will You Ever Come Around" (I believe Gwill's a GP these days)

So the point is, being a DJ used to be a lifestyle. I loved the whole experience. I liked walking into Spank and Mark seeing me at the door and peeling tunes from the new release rack. I loved that few people could be fucked searching so those like minded souls were as tragic as you were.

But moreover I loved how analogue it all was. How mystifying a mixer was and how getting 2 records to play had to be done by ear and for the novice, looked like magic.

But I know the dancefloor doesn't care and nor should it. These young guys might have the passion for the music, I just lament that they didn't get the lifestyle. Sorry for the ramble.

Edit: sorry a bit pissed but my point is yes they buy a bit of kit and yes they press "sync" and become a DJ but they missed out on the joys I had. I buy from Beatport now and I'm on Traktor because I love the music. I'm sad the lifestyle is dead though and that's something they will never know no matter how passionate they are. And that's a shame.

Last edited by b_bop: 03-Feb-12 at 09:49pm

Kent +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_bop View Post

So the point is, being a DJ used to be a lifestyle.

Indeed it was. Countless hours trawling through 2nd hand crates everyday - Good Groove, Disco City, Listen Up, Warped, Ashwoods. Going without food for vinyl again. Waiting for the postman to deliver todays promos. etc...

Quote:

... and how getting 2 records to play had to be done by ear and for the novice, looked like magic.

Who would have ever dreamed of a 'SYNC' button . Beatmixing by ear can be such a transcendental and euphoric experience. I remember the first time I saw two records playing simultaneously and yes it did look like magic - captivating.

Quote:

These young guys might have the passion for the music, I just lament that they didn't get the lifestyle.

The Internet has a lot to answer for...

Quote:

I'm sad the lifestyle is dead though and that's something they will never know no matter how passionate they are. And that's a shame.

The memories are priceless for everything else there's Mastercard.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
stuff

Last edited by Kent: 03-Feb-12 at 10:46pm

Garydose +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent View Post

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

+1
Kent +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

NOOO the fish are the clubs there are plenty of clubs i can go to

Kevin, I'm quite sure there is a limit to the number of venues in Kalgoorlie. If you think your new DJ career might last more than a month or two then perhaps you might rethink your attitude.

I'm just curious, to you play requests at Debos Pub? What is the most requested song?

stuff
Page 2 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »