Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

GCP&G Fatty Hotline: Better Guetta Viennetta

Closed thread
  Tools
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243
soulful melodies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510
Yep. If people listened to the tracks rather than just paying out on them they may notice the melodies Not all of it is melodic, but plenty of it is. The melody is never really the central aspect of the track. A lot of people refer to them as 'atmospheres'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQeJ1V-pLn8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JuIXAIK7U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBCueAYOl-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWhYZD9KJRg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE_27nU0fr0

But yeah, enough of that, apparently it annoys V-Tron.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243
I was debating the use of the adjective soulful rather than melody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Funkedub's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 3,946
Posts
21,147

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

soulful melodies?


Media Player
mr postman - the marvelettes High Quality (Video with artist and music info) must see this - YouTube
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com



*musical needs most likely not met
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510
And I posted up a few tracks that I believe have "soulful" melodies. Once again, that term is probably open to interpretation.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243
Would that interpretation have anything to do with soul music perchance? (I'm at work at the moment so I can't listen to anything)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

RunningWithScissors's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
< 18,898
Posts
24,671
derpelict how are you not realising that taste is subjective

fuck
THE COOLEST HOBBY
NismoR31 +

NismoR31's Avatar
Joined
Feb '02
Times thanked
< 9,198
Posts
31,074
Derp just face it your musical taste is crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I love this guy's mixes. Nice deep, rolling dnb. Check it out

see this is the kind of dnb i love. Awesome shit
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Would that interpretation have anything to do with soul music perchance? (I'm at work at the moment so I can't listen to anything)

I don't even know what soul music sounds like

I looked up what soulful meant, and to me those tracks do that.

Hey RWS: Shut up, jerk
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

RunningWithScissors's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
< 18,898
Posts
24,671

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Hey RWS: Shut up, jerk



<3
THE COOLEST HOBBY
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510
I actually thought you were mocking me because I've said the same statement a bunch of times.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

RunningWithScissors's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
< 18,898
Posts
24,671

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

Ed Rush and Optical - Wormhole.

Media Player
Ed Rush & Optical - Bacteria (Pendulum Remix) - YouTube

THE COOLEST HOBBY
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Funkedub's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 3,946
Posts
21,147

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

I don't even know what soul music sounds like


It's where you go to steal breaks


Media Player
YouTube



Also ... since when do you have wings RWS?
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com



*musical needs most likely not met
Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Vote Quimby's Avatar
Joined
Feb '04
Times thanked
< 2,035
Posts
8,693

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post


I looked up what soulful meant,

good lord. :facepalm:
V-Tron +

hmmm

V-Tron's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 2,697
Posts
5,678

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub View Post

you're Your va-jay-jay is still kinda sandy though

"It was like he was being given a tabasco enema."
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vote Quimby View Post

good lord. :facepalm:

Well generally, when a person has never heard a term before, it helps to know what it means before responding to it.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Funkedub's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 3,946
Posts
21,147

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-Tron View Post

you're Your va-jay-jay is still kinda sandy though



For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com



*musical needs most likely not met
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

RunningWithScissors's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
< 18,898
Posts
24,671
kill you are self
THE COOLEST HOBBY
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

RunningWithScissors's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
< 18,898
Posts
24,671

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Well generally, when a person has never heard a term before, it helps to know what it means before responding to it.

THE COOLEST HOBBY
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

ianwil1976's Avatar
Joined
Oct '04
Times thanked
< 13,048
Posts
37,143
DJ Hidden. The new James Brown.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Yep. If people listened to the tracks rather than just paying out on them they may notice the melodies Not all of it is melodic, but plenty of it is. The melody is never really the central aspect of the track. A lot of people refer to them as 'atmospheres'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQeJ1V-pLn8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JuIXAIK7U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBCueAYOl-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWhYZD9KJRg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE_27nU0fr0

But yeah, enough of that, apparently it annoys V-Tron.

Okay, I listened to the first one - I don't think I can convey appropriately in words just how far away from soulful that is

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

primalstatik's Avatar
Joined
Feb '06
Times thanked
< 2,030
Posts
7,808

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

I don't even know what soul music sounds like

I looked up what soulful meant, and to me those tracks do that.


OnL - Weathering Shifts


Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Okay, I listened to the first one - I don't think I can convey appropriately in words just how far away from soulful that is

In your opinion.
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

In your opinion.

Not using some wacky definition of 'soulful' using the definition of or pertaining to soul music.

Here is a song I love with a beautiful, haunting melody.

Media Player
Radiohead - Codex - YouTube

It is not soulful either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Not using some wacky definition of 'soulful' using the definition of or pertaining to soul music.

In that sense i agree completely. But soulful does not only refer to soul music.
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

primalstatik's Avatar
Joined
Feb '06
Times thanked
< 2,030
Posts
7,808
Derp, this is what soul music is.

Media Player
Al Green-Lets Stay Together - YouTube
Media Player
Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine - YouTube

This is probably the most soulful DNB tune out there imo, because, you know it has plenty of emotion and soul? Not just fuckloads of noise, pots and pans.

Media Player
calibre bullets - YouTube

OnL - Weathering Shifts


Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

In that sense i agree completely. But soulful does not only refer to soul music.

In musical terms 'soul' is implicitly and irrevocably linked with soul music.

Here are some other musical qualities that you cannot reasonably apply: bluesy, jazzy, operatic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510
Soulful definition: Full of or expressing deep feeling; profoundly emotional.

Perfect description for that music. In fact, the guys who wrote it use similar ways to describe it.

Primalstatik i do know what soul music is jesus, i was having a joke. And once again i see that you didnt listen to any of that music i just posted, but shoot your mouth off anyway. None of the tracks i linked were even dnb, just fyi, no pots or pans to be found.

For once, just once, actually listen to the music.
nrjize +

licking dates

nrjize's Avatar
Joined
Nov '01
Times thanked
< 2,191
Posts
9,504
Derpelict, why must you continue to derp so hard?
"I theme-dress depending on where I'm going... if I was going to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, I would wear a kimono - it makes it more fun." Kelly Osbourne.

"yeah, i have back problems that i tried to cure with heroin. what of it?"
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Soulful definition: Full of or expressing deep feeling; profoundly emotional.

Perfect description for that music. In fact, the guys who wrote it use similar ways to describe it.

Primalstatik i do know what soul music is jesus, i was having a joke. And once again i see that you didnt listen to any of that music i just posted, but shoot your mouth off anyway. None of the tracks i linked were even dnb, just fyi, no pots or pans to be found.

For once, just once, actually listen to the music.

Yes I can see you found dictionary.com - *but* just like you can say you have the blues when you are sad, when you talk about music, the word takes on certain unavoidable historical and sociocultural values.

So, feel free to describe the music as profoundly emotional, but if you say it is soulful, people will either think you have a tin ear or are being a dick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

primalstatik's Avatar
Joined
Feb '06
Times thanked
< 2,030
Posts
7,808

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Primalstatik i do know what soul music is jesus, i was having a joke.

The backpedal is strong in this one.

Correction, I did listen to the tunes, three of which are from the same artist and encountered the same wall of bollocks noise with the same "OH GOD THIS SHIT IS SCARY MAN" background ambient sound. That type of music has no correlation with soul or being soulful whatsoever

OnL - Weathering Shifts


Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

ianwil1976's Avatar
Joined
Oct '04
Times thanked
< 13,048
Posts
37,143

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik View Post

This is probably the most soulful DNB tune out there imo, because, you know it has plenty of emotion and soul? Not just fuckloads of noise, pots and pans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi_i9Nr2IcA

Diane Charlemagne <3
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243
Okay I listened to another one and it just had some minor chord arpeggios as the melody. I don't care what definition you apply to that, it ain't soulful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephalapod chewing legend

SPOKEYDOKEY's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
< 2,749
Posts
22,359
Speaking of computers, i'm on the hunt for a Sun Blade 150. Anyone seen one behind their fridge lately?
Everyone knows your snorkeling is just a cover for transition to Aqua Aerobics.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

RunningWithScissors's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
< 18,898
Posts
24,671

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

In musical terms 'soul' is implicitly and irrevocably linked with soul music.

Here are some other musical qualities that you cannot reasonably apply: bluesy, jazzy, operatic.

yeah but people still use "funky" to describe songs that aren't porn soundtracks
THE COOLEST HOBBY
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

yeah but people still use "funky" to describe songs that aren't porn soundtracks

I'd be tl;dring now if derpelict was misappropriating funky too.

Lets just be clear, when I say it is not soulful, I'm not making a value judgement. Its just a question of nomenclature.

I'm making a value judgement when I say its terribad.

Spoiler:
It is terribad

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Hooch1981 +

Home sex is killing prostitution

Hooch1981's Avatar
Joined
Aug '09
Times thanked
< 990
Posts
2,636

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

For once, just once, actually listen to the music.

Media Player
Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson Discusses Music - YouTube
Hooch done a photo
Dante +

noided noided

Dante's Avatar
Joined
Sep '01
Times thanked
< 1,214
Posts
6,578
soulful?

Media Player
Vince Watson - Rendezvous - YouTube

I could be wrong.

Derelict, when I listened to the first track you linked with 'soulful' in mind I couldn't help but laugh. Don't get me wrong, I like hard drum and bass (or whatever that's called with the more chopped up rhythms) but I don't get anything approaching soulful from it. EZ Rollers would be the closest thing to 'soulful' while still being semi techstep.

Last edited by Dante: 29-Feb-12 at 08:31pm

JustinJ +

It was a good speech. Didn't want to interrupt.

JustinJ's Avatar
Joined
Mar '04
Times thanked
< 3,526
Posts
10,996

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Okay I listened to another one and it just had some minor chord arpeggios as the melody. I don't care what definition you apply to that, it ain't soulful.

It was like whoever made the track chucked them in as an afterthought.

The melody in Avicii - Levels has more soul that the three tracks I listened to.
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Yes I can see you found dictionary.com - *but* just like you can say you have the blues when you are sad, when you talk about music, the word takes on certain unavoidable historical and sociocultural values.

So, feel free to describe the music as profoundly emotional, but if you say it is soulful, people will either think you have a tin ear or are being a dick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik View Post

The backpedal is strong in this one.

Correction, I did listen to the tunes, three of which are from the same artist and encountered the same wall of bollocks noise with the same "OH GOD THIS SHIT IS SCARY MAN" background ambient sound. That type of music has no correlation with soul or being soulful whatsoever


As I already explained, I didn't know what 'soulful' meant. So when I looked up that definition, I thought that's what it meant to me.

Also where's the backpedal? I clearly put the laughing face smiley in there to indicate it's a joke...

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik View Post

This is probably the most soulful DNB tune out there imo, because, you know it has plenty of emotion and soul? Not just fuckloads of noise, pots and pans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi_i9Nr2IcA

So, soulful is some generic drum loop (that was probably sampled from a soul track anyway) with a varying deep bass line, and a woman singing in a 'soul' style? Cool. Consider me enlightened. I'll be sure never to use that word, ever again.


At the Machine Head concert last night, the lead singer was talking about what the band meant to him. He mentioned how he loved the fact that he can express all his emotions, from happy to sad to everything in between through this "crazy music" or something along those lines to describe it. Just because that music is considered to be 'noise' to some, it doesn't not make it any more or less a way of expressing emotions.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

I'm making a value judgement when I say its terribad.

Spoiler:
It is terribad

Right back at ya, k-pop boy
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
< 15,781
Posts
50,243

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Right back at ya, k-pop boy

IT'S SUPER COMPLEX AND SOULFUL AND REALLY WELL PRODUCED AND IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE.

here's 15 links.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

NismoR31 +

NismoR31's Avatar
Joined
Feb '02
Times thanked
< 9,198
Posts
31,074
this thread is quality. And we have structured soulful desserts!
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Morphee's Avatar
Joined
Feb '03
Times thanked
< 3,987
Posts
16,626
Soul... like this..

Media Player
Un-Cut Midnight - YouTube

Funk? This has funk.

Media Player
Ed Rush & Optical - Sick Note - YouTube

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

primalstatik's Avatar
Joined
Feb '06
Times thanked
< 2,030
Posts
7,808
Not soulful by definition I guess, but certainly a beautiful tune. That and Mystical Rhythm = Best.

OnL - Weathering Shifts


Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

V-Tron +

hmmm

V-Tron's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 2,697
Posts
5,678

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik View Post

Not soulful by definition I guess, but certainly a beautiful tune. That and Mystical Rhythm = Best.

Oi nah ****, Pure Innersense.
"It was like he was being given a tabasco enema."
Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Vote Quimby's Avatar
Joined
Feb '04
Times thanked
< 2,035
Posts
8,693
Someone ask for some funk?

Media Player
YouTube
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Derelict's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
< 5,427
Posts
27,510

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante View Post

Derelict, when I listened to the first track you linked with 'soulful' in mind I couldn't help but laugh. Don't get me wrong, I like hard drum and bass (or whatever that's called with the more chopped up rhythms) but I don't get anything approaching soulful from it. EZ Rollers would be the closest thing to 'soulful' while still being semi techstep.

That's the problem, it's not dnb, it's industrial hardcore. Very different

Oh wait actually the first track is what is now called "crossbreed" which is a fusion of dnb and hardcore. So say dnb sequences with hardcore sounds/kicks, while still maintaining the cleanness of dnb.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

primalstatik's Avatar
Joined
Feb '06
Times thanked
< 2,030
Posts
7,808

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-Tron View Post

Oi nah ****, Pure Innersense.

Renaissance as well. Qualia. Flux. Fuck it, EVERYTHING.

OnL - Weathering Shifts


Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

V-Tron +

hmmm

V-Tron's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
< 2,697
Posts
5,678
Duality!
"It was like he was being given a tabasco enema."
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts