Sydney

Subsonic Music Festival 2012.

All About:

All About

+Follow

Add Follows

Stay informed about your favourite artists and events. We'll email you whenever there is new events, news or content posted about your favourite things. Simply select those you want to be notified about View my Follows |  Follow Settings

  • Subsonic Music Festival
  • The Bird
  • Antix
  • DJ Kentaro
  • Blue King Brown
  • Oka
  • Emok
  • Pena
  • Shades Of Gray
  • opiuo
  • + many more to be announced!
  • Catz 'N Dogz
  • Worthy
  • AN-TEN-NAE
  • SQL
  • Secret Cinema
Cancel Finish

Description:

Subsonic Music Festival is back for it’s 4th year at the glorious Riverwood Downs Mountain Valley Resort in Barrington Tops. We are positively thrilled to be bringing you this unique festival experience for another year, and we hope to see all of the usual suspects there, plus some new...

Reply
Page 1 of 23
  Tools
JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,441
Subsonic Music Festival 2012.
So... countdown is on.

Who we all want to see on the bill for this year?
Last year was by far the best festival I've attended..
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
< 988
Posts
14,010
Sasha Le Monnier
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
larrisajones +

boring. thanks ITM

larrisajones's Avatar
Joined
Jun '08
Times thanked
< 374
Posts
7,617
In for the first five posts - epic time in 2011, can't wait for this years one!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by andosound

Who needs Gossip Girl when we have the ITM forums

Quote:

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,441

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

Sasha Le Monnier

LOL.
How awesome that would be !

5 hour epic Sunday Session.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
< 988
Posts
14,010

Quote:

Originally Posted by JovanS View Post

LOL.
How awesome that would be !

5 hour epic Sunday Session.

i was just talking to her the other day about coming back, lets make it happen!


PS i FUCKING LOVE SUBSONIC <3

had the best time last year, and the year before, and the year before
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,441

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

i was just talking to her the other day about coming back, lets make it happen!


PS i FUCKING LOVE SUBSONIC <3

had the best time last year, and the year before, and the year before

HAHA. I just messaged her & said I hoped for her to be at Subsonic!. 5 hour set...

Last year was my first. I assume this year will be even more epic as we will know what to expect & make better arrangements.
Def going to camp the night before.. extra $20 something dollars its worth it.
LifeOnMTV +

==============

LifeOnMTV's Avatar
Joined
Jul '08
Times thanked
< 461
Posts
1,788
1st page.

Keen to go this year for the first time
weeklypodcast.net promoting independent artists.

I find them on Soundcloud
Dexter Ramone +

MAD MEX

Dexter Ramone's Avatar
Joined
Feb '07
Times thanked
< 64
Posts
638
Megakeen once again. I can hand on heart say that some of my closest friendships have been formed at Subsonic.
turkman +

khlav kalash

turkman's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 1,433
Posts
17,454
Yep pretty fucking keen for this year again!


Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Dr Bones's Avatar
Joined
Sep '08
Times thanked
< 2,116
Posts
9,282
Yeah I mean... I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

wilsonrob +

I am not bored

wilsonrob's Avatar
Joined
Apr '08
Times thanked
< 340
Posts
2,794
Ahhh Subsonic, how I miss thee.
"...and I know that I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with. And I know that given the choice I probably wouldn't have chosen you as friends but I just wanna say that over the years I've come to regard you as........ people I met."
- Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf.
Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Bitsmasher's Avatar
Joined
Oct '05
Times thanked
< 301
Posts
4,208
can we get mega-earlybird discount tickets right now? I'd pay $20
I'm a DJ, I push the volume up to 10
the lights are dancing in the red, I'm distorting it again
psyv +

unexploring or shall we say re-exploring

psyv's Avatar
Joined
Apr '05
Times thanked
< 132
Posts
1,716
Boris Brejcha again plz. Extended set.
DISCO_BUS +

Registered User

Joined
Feb '10
Times thanked
< 4
Posts
50
Last years was epic.

Would love to see Eelke Kliejn finally make it over for a Sunday arfternoon/evening, Michael Mayer style set
For all your mobile parties, after parties and transportation needs:
josh@discobus.com.au
www.discobus.com.au
Photos
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Mike-O-Sito's Avatar
Joined
Aug '05
Times thanked
< 381
Posts
3,137
Moar breaks

Oldskool sets by
Cut La Roc & Rennie Pilgrem!
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool

Last edited by Mike-O-Sito: 16-Feb-12 at 10:46pm

psyv +

unexploring or shall we say re-exploring

psyv's Avatar
Joined
Apr '05
Times thanked
< 132
Posts
1,716
Would never happen, but... John 00 Fleming
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Oli-G's Avatar
Joined
Aug '01
Times thanked
< 142
Posts
7,605
Fourt Tet / Burial / Thom Yorke closing set thanks
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Mickstah's Avatar
Joined
Jun '02
Times thanked
< 3,434
Posts
24,893
I'd give it a nudge.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me


special ed +

spesh

special ed's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 2,993
Posts
10,778
yep i would totes be happy to lie on the grass listening to burial as the sun starts to set
soundcloud
mixcloud
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

jimmenyC's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 217
Posts
1,496
You and the rest of the world, Spesh....
Sadly the man doesn't make a habit of getting out there and performing.

Personally, if we're asking for the impossible, bring out 4 Hero - that's Marc Mac complete with a large band/orchestra.
I'd also like to see Ashley Beedle/ BSO/X-Press 2, Jamie XX, Nina Kraviz, Legowelt - where do I even start and end?!!
I like to think of this festival as a little something special from the norm and not chasing the obvious bookings, or done-to-death festival acts.

I would also like a play-area or creche vibe where one can drop spawn off, just for a couple hours of the day. I reckon a few qualified child-carers out there would enjoy a couple extra bucks at a festival? Am I ruining it for the young 'uns?
special ed +

spesh

special ed's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 2,993
Posts
10,778

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

You and the rest of the world, Spesh....
Sadly the man doesn't make a habit of getting out there and performing.

well he's a **** then
/end thread
soundcloud
mixcloud
larrisajones +

boring. thanks ITM

larrisajones's Avatar
Joined
Jun '08
Times thanked
< 374
Posts
7,617

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli-G View Post

Fourt Tet / Burial / Thom Yorke closing set thanks

That would be so good. Sigh, will never happen but would be awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andosound

Who needs Gossip Girl when we have the ITM forums

Quote:

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
< 988
Posts
14,010

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

I would also like a play-area or creche vibe where one can drop spawn off, just for a couple hours of the day. I reckon a few qualified child-carers out there would enjoy a couple extra bucks at a festival? Am I ruining it for the young 'uns?

that's a grand idea imo...
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
larrisajones +

boring. thanks ITM

larrisajones's Avatar
Joined
Jun '08
Times thanked
< 374
Posts
7,617
Apart from the key question - is a festival REALLY the best place to bring your kids? I mean really? There's poor food choices, poor toilet/shower facilties, a lot of people in states that aren't child friendly or appropriate, loud noise all the time. Surely a grandparent, relative or friends place for the weekend is better?
I really don't agree with putting kids around super munted people, i just don't think its right for the kid even if they don't realise what's going on.

But hey personal opinion and all, everyone is entitled to bring up their children as they see fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andosound

Who needs Gossip Girl when we have the ITM forums

Quote:

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

special ed +

spesh

special ed's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 2,993
Posts
10,778
it works at festivals like woodford etc, if there are dedicated "child friendly" areas, why not? the 'state of being' is the responisbility of parents. If you take your kids you are responsible for looking after them.

i suppose the difficulty with SSF is that it runs all day and all night, which is not something viable for a child. if it was just music by day only / camping by night. it could work quite well
I dont reckon you could get away with allowing children under, say, 5 years of age.
i most definitaley wouldn't bring my baby.


i took my oldest kid to Vibes on a Summers day many years ago. He was 4 at the time. was fine. but again, that was just a day event, when you put "all nighter" into the equation, that becomes different
soundcloud
mixcloud
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
< 988
Posts
14,010
Any other festival, id agree...

But i think Subsonic's a lot more chilled, and there are a lot of people who arent off chops.....with the exception of sat night i was pretty much straight all weekend, and the other 1/2 was for the whole 3 days.....so not an issue imo
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
special ed +

spesh

special ed's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 2,993
Posts
10,778
a seperated "family" camping ground could work, that is away form everything?.
then the times that parents decided to bring their child into the festivities is their prerogative
soundcloud
mixcloud
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Oli-G's Avatar
Joined
Aug '01
Times thanked
< 142
Posts
7,605
Oooh Ashely Beedle would be mad afternoon sunny styles!!!!




Media Player
Always (Ashley Beedle's Mahavishnu Remix) by Bent - YouTube
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
< 988
Posts
14,010
agreed, site does need a designated "QUIET" camping area

a few people we know took their little ones with them the last few years, but were staying in the cabins / dorm rooms though which made it a little easier i expect

i dare say if the bauss & i have kids in the next few years we'd take them along
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
tigerace +

Registered User

tigerace's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
< 44
Posts
287
I hope this year they have a bit more progression from one end of the weekend to the other. I dont know who wants to listen to psy-trance on a sunday afternoon.

you should get Fat Freddys Drop... Ive wanted to see them play for aggggges

and +1 for Sasha Le Monnier
larrisajones +

boring. thanks ITM

larrisajones's Avatar
Joined
Jun '08
Times thanked
< 374
Posts
7,617
I agree with the seperate family friendly area ... but then again I feel for the people that get camped next to the family area and get shushed all the time etc.

A one day thing is totally different to a three or four day event IMO. Further even if the parents aren't off it A LOT of people blatantly are ... ffs the first thing I heard at the toilets on the first morning was "so look, we've all had acid for breakfast..."

The other factor is that for every responsible parent there are a whole bunch of irresponsible ones, the chick you see 7 months pregnant tanding in front of a speaker at a gig isn't about to suddenly grow a brain the second she pops it out. At what point does society need to step in and protect kids from being put in unsafe/uncomfortable environments by shitty parents?

Quote:

Originally Posted by andosound

Who needs Gossip Girl when we have the ITM forums

Quote:

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

turkman +

khlav kalash

turkman's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 1,433
Posts
17,454

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrisajones View Post

Apart from the key question - is a festival REALLY the best place to bring your kids? I mean really? There's poor food choices, poor toilet/shower facilties, a lot of people in states that aren't child friendly or appropriate, loud noise all the time. Surely a grandparent, relative or friends place for the weekend is better?
I really don't agree with putting kids around super munted people, i just don't think its right for the kid even if they don't realise what's going on.

But hey personal opinion and all, everyone is entitled to bring up their children as they see fit.

"There's poor food choices"????!!!

Falafel pockets amongst other awesome stuff are not poor food choices!


Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Oli-G's Avatar
Joined
Aug '01
Times thanked
< 142
Posts
7,605

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

agreed, site does need a designated "QUIET" camping area

This x 10000. Some sort of quiet chill zone. I love music, I love noise but I appreciate it more if it is not constant and I have the chance to get away, reset/rest the ears.. But I would not want this zone to be the family zone.. Kids screaming and carrying on is not relaxing. You need your head read if you find it so...

I would even be for a brief daily period of no music of say 1 hour per day, everyone can go tidy up stuff or whatever etc..



ps. FELAFEL POCKETS FFS!!!! FELAFEL POCKKKEEETS!!!!!


Poor food choices??? I wish my daily life was a choice between home made Felafel pockets, Himilayan dumplings, mediterranian chicken rolls with macked out green chilli sauce and bacon & egg rolls..

You are also aware you can bring food with you
Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Bitsmasher's Avatar
Joined
Oct '05
Times thanked
< 301
Posts
4,208

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerace View Post

I dont know who wants to listen to psy-trance

neither.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli-G View Post

I would even be for a brief daily period of no music of say 1 hour per day, everyone can go tidy up stuff or whatever etc..

then you'd hear the screams of insanity echoing through the valley
I'm a DJ, I push the volume up to 10
the lights are dancing in the red, I'm distorting it again
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

jimmenyC's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 217
Posts
1,496
I've discussed this many times LJ. My boy is to young to percieve 'muntedness' at his age, so everything appears to him as just a large gathering of people and colours. Kinda like a cat in front of a TV? Our folks really do their large part in babysitting, so we feel this is a festival that we can actually take him to. Sadly, I don't share the same enthusiasm for for other festivals - as you've pulled me up before on - as I find the crowd there a bit much and the whole experience quite overpriced. Due to the nature of this festival being BYO food and allowing us to bring our car & campsite in tandem, it makes for a good family and fun experience.

Of course as he gets older and perceptive, we'll leave him home, but by that stage, I may be a bit more of a boring old fart. My folks were a bit hippie-esque and took me to a few festivals of different natures, so it makes sense to me.

/edit.

And I promise we keep a good diet & lifestyle, by keeping the little shit clean, ears protected etc.
Bad parenting, by all means - report to DOCS lol.
Dexter Ramone +

MAD MEX

Dexter Ramone's Avatar
Joined
Feb '07
Times thanked
< 64
Posts
638
Love some more Glitch this time around.
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Oli-G's Avatar
Joined
Aug '01
Times thanked
< 142
Posts
7,605

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

I've discussed this many times LJ. My boy is to young to percieve 'muntedness' at his age, so everything appears to him as just a large gathering of people and colours. Kinda like a cat in front of a TV? Our folks really do their large part in babysitting, so we feel this is a festival that we can actually take him to. Sadly, I don't share the same enthusiasm for for other festivals - as you've pulled me up before on - as I find the crowd there a bit much and the whole experience quite overpriced. Due to the nature of this festival being BYO food and allowing us to bring our car & campsite in tandem, it makes for a good family and fun experience.

Of course as he gets older and perceptive, we'll leave him home, but by that stage, I may be a bit more of a boring old fart. My folks were a bit hippie-esque and took me to a few festivals of different natures, so it makes sense to me.


+1 .. I have no kids as such but this is how I would feel generally..
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

jimmenyC's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 217
Posts
1,496

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Ramone View Post

Love some more Glitch this time around.

Ah, please define your Glitch. The term/genre is being thrown around like a 15 year old N. Shore girl's panties down at the Cockle Bay Wharf bars tonight, right now.
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

jimmenyC's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 217
Posts
1,496

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli-G View Post

+1 .. I have no kids as such but this is how I would feel generally..

How else am I going to justify the whole "Drugs are bad for you" talk one day if not by pointing out the dude whose shat his pants, rolling around in the grass laughing manically....
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Oli-G's Avatar
Joined
Aug '01
Times thanked
< 142
Posts
7,605
I will just show them Charlie Sheen interviews. They will not be impressed...




Never really got into the charlie sheen love.. Hunter S Thompson (RIP).. Now he was a machine, and useful as well (unlike charlie sheen who has probably not contributed one useful thing to society, apart from that top gun spoof )
Dexter Ramone +

MAD MEX

Dexter Ramone's Avatar
Joined
Feb '07
Times thanked
< 64
Posts
638

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmenyC View Post

Ah, please define your Glitch. The term/genre is being thrown around like a 15 year old N. Shore girl's panties down at the Cockle Bay Wharf bars tonight, right now.

Fair call. That Opiou set last year was amazing. I really only started delving into it last year; and don't pretend to know the good from the bad. What I've heard and liked? Oval, Microstoria, Fennesz.

Love to hear recommendations on local producers if you have any?
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Oli-G's Avatar
Joined
Aug '01
Times thanked
< 142
Posts
7,605

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Ramone View Post

Love to hear recommendations on local producers if you have any?



MOSK & DADE

MOSK & DADE

MOSK & DADE

MOSK & DADE

MOSK & DADE

MOSK & DADE



http://www.soundcloud.com/moskanddade

They were the best thing I saw at last years subsonic. They fucking chromed the dome!! Tracks up there sadly dont really convey the epicness of their live performance.
LifeOnMTV +

==============

LifeOnMTV's Avatar
Joined
Jul '08
Times thanked
< 461
Posts
1,788

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Ramone View Post

Fair call. That Opiou set last year was amazing. I really only started delving into it last year; and don't pretend to know the good from the bad. What I've heard and liked? Oval, Microstoria, Fennesz.

Would be awesome if they got Tipper killer set at Rainbow this year
weeklypodcast.net promoting independent artists.

I find them on Soundcloud
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Dr Bones's Avatar
Joined
Sep '08
Times thanked
< 2,116
Posts
9,282

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli-G View Post

Hunter S Thompson (RIP).. Now he was a machine, and useful as well

This, about ten million times over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

tigerace +

Registered User

tigerace's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
< 44
Posts
287
it only takes one tripper to decide that a young kid looks like a rather delicious treat for there to be no subsonic for anyone.

neelix??
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Oli-G's Avatar
Joined
Aug '01
Times thanked
< 142
Posts
7,605
Dual Shaman
Ryan Davis
Jesse Somfay
Ricardo Tobar
Soliquid
Francesco Pico
Applescal
Paul Hazendork
Fairmont would be sensational under the stars imo



Please
JovanS +

Registered User

JovanS's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
< 108
Posts
1,441
I would love to see Cid Inc at Subsonic too. Not sure how realistic that could be ATM.

Saturday night... Sunday sunrise sets were pretty epic on the Paradiso Stage.
Needs a loooooooong Sunday afternoon/evening sesh too.... Really enjoyed Minilogue last year, cept the 3.5 hours went way to fast.

Francois K for the Sunday afternoon pelase.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

pomrocks's Avatar
Joined
Sep '04
Times thanked
< 988
Posts
14,010

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli-G View Post

Ryan Davis
Francesco Pico
Applescal
Paul Hazendork

me rikey....am talking to paul at the mo btw
Playing at;


Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page


SHRUG
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

jimmenyC's Avatar
Joined
Feb '11
Times thanked
< 217
Posts
1,496

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Ramone View Post

Fair call. That Opiou set last year was amazing. I really only started delving into it last year; and don't pretend to know the good from the bad. What I've heard and liked? Oval, Microstoria, Fennesz.

Love to hear recommendations on local producers if you have any?

You missed out on a killer DJ from Byron then, Peta aka Ghettafunkt - she plays local producers like Mr Bill in her set.
http://www.myspace.com/ghettafunkt

You'll also have seen Drachemann then?

A lot of these people seem to be cut from the 'doof' and psytrance scene cloth. Their sound range is ambient/funky/psy and bass heavy.

To me, my take on 'Glitch' came from those who took their lead from instrumental and abstract hip Hop and locals artists under the 'Space Is The Place' nights etc to me play what I deem glitch, like Prize, Sofie, MonkFly etc.

I love that this festival caters to both types of 'Glitch' and more types I'm sure
turkman +

khlav kalash

turkman's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
< 1,433
Posts
17,454

Quote:

Originally Posted by JovanS View Post

I would love to see Cid Inc at Subsonic too. Not sure how realistic that could be ATM.

Well I do know a friend that could very well possibly make it happen.
He has it well with Cid Inc.


Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

Page 1 of 23
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts