< 760
Sea Surface Temperature Anomalies
Just sayin'

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/ml/ocean/sst/anom_anim.html
tapout +

tapout 1, utes 0.

Times thanked
< 3,306
I'm in totally the wrong industry in Tassie, if we get a +3C rise like the Arctic has seen you wont be buying salmon in the future.
Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 2,006
I don't want to be 'that guy' but does this in some way relate to that massive fuckoff hurricane that just happened

I'm not exactly a science guy

:science:
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,790

El Nino incoming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

I don't want to be 'that guy' but does this in some way relate to that massive fuckoff hurricane that just happened

I'm not exactly a science guy

:science:

It's very difficult for anyone to say global warming caused Sandy. Sandy was an extratropical cyclone that joined up with two other bad weather systems.

But what you can say is, this is consistent with what is expected to happen, and it's happening more often. There is a lot of warm water in the zone. And warm water evaporates and causes bad weather. Sea level rise will mean an increase in storm surges like this one, which was the biggest storm surge ever. The thing about climate change is we have a level of resilience to the patterns of storm activity we are used to. We don't have the resilience to the pattern of storm activity which is expected.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

El Nino incoming.

yes it's going to be an awesome summer on the eastern seaboard, but watch out for bushfires because the fire load is massive.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapout View Post

I'm in totally the wrong industry in Tassie, if we get a +3C rise like the Arctic has seen you wont be buying salmon in the future.

Your wild fisheries are already changing.
horst +

Times thanked
< 423

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

El Nino incoming.

No it's off actually, average conditions are now expected
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/
horst +

Times thanked
< 423

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

What CG said, and I think this is just such an event that the American people (and others still in denial) needed to crystallize in their minds that climate change is real, and that action is required hey pronto.
Sadly it is the only way since they have shown to be immune to reason alone.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
Given the religious views of most American's I'm sure we'll have someone blaming it on God punishing them for having a Democrat (who is also not Caucasian - well half not Caucasian) as President.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
tapout +

tapout 1, utes 0.

Times thanked
< 3,306

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

Your wild fisheries are already changing.

Yep, catching Yellowtail kingfish in the Derwent is just insane.
Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence
didjeridude +

Random Rhythm Generator

Times thanked
< 482
Sweet I just had a job interview for a position in Geelong. Will be heaps nicer to surf down there if the water gets warmer.
Reality: To be or not to be? The Adventures of Dr Shroom (and Captain Jones)
gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

Times thanked
< 826
where you working, didj? with cadel?
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
< 2,894

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

Given the religious views of most American's I'm sure we'll have someone blaming it on God punishing them for having a Democrat (who is also not Caucasian - well half not Caucasian) as President.

No, this guy has been told by God it's punishment of abortion and gay marriage laws.
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
< 1,179
I love Colbert on that - 'gay cruises cause evil thoughts to be sent upwards. When they reach heaven, they make the angels cry, causing the storms. And then afterwards the sun comes out - which is why the symbol for the gay movement....is a rainbow'
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

It's very difficult for anyone to say global warming caused Sandy. Sandy was an extratropical cyclone that joined up with two other bad weather systems.

But what you can say is, this is consistent with what is expected to happen, and it's happening more often. There is a lot of warm water in the zone. And warm water evaporates and causes bad weather. Sea level rise will mean an increase in storm surges like this one, which was the biggest storm surge ever. The thing about climate change is we have a level of resilience to the patterns of storm activity we are used to. We don't have the resilience to the pattern of storm activity which is expected.

there was an article in the SMH yesterday (i think) that linked it to the Arctic ice melt this year bringing colder waters much further south and potentially blocking the storm from staying over sea. It was pretty light on with detail though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Kellyboop +

Lettuce be cereal here, guys.

Times thanked
< 2,740
The Atlantic Ocean was measured about five degrees Fahrenheit hotter than usual this fall and the flooding unleashed by Sandy is especially destructive because global warming has caused sea levels in the New York region to rise by one foot over the past century.

It's something we're going to see a lot more of as sea temperatures and levels rise.

http://storify.com/insideclimate/cli...urricane-sandy
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

there was an article in the SMH yesterday (i think) that linked it to the Arctic ice melt this year bringing colder waters much further south and potentially blocking the storm from staying over sea. It was pretty light on with detail though.

I think what the article was talking about in terms of blocking, was a blocking high, the same type of thing we get when we have a blocking high over Australia and the cold fronts pass low over the continent.

The article also touches on arctic amplification, which includes adding lots of warmer water into northern oceans and also a reduction in albedo (reflection).

Everything points to Sandy being climate change related. But you can't say definitely it was because it is possible without climate change. However, in my view policy makers and also the private sector would be simply stupid if they didn't act like this is the new normal.

Meanwhile I was at a briefing on the upcoming Doha COP 18 negotiations yesterday and there is so much to negotiate on I just can't see multilaterally agreed targets being resolved. The Australian Government hasn't even indicated it will ratify the second commitment period yet.

The good news that has come out recently at Partnership for Market Readiness meetings I attended in Sydney last week is that the number of countries introducing market mitigation mechanisms is rapidly increasing. China has announced it will introduce a national scheme which is incredible news.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellyboop View Post

The Atlantic Ocean was measured about five degrees Fahrenheit hotter than usual this fall and the flooding unleashed by Sandy is especially destructive because global warming has caused sea levels in the New York region to rise by one foot over the past century.

It's something we're going to see a lot more of as sea temperatures and levels rise.

http://storify.com/insideclimate/cli...urricane-sandy

If you check my link at the top you can see an animation of that. That is actually what this thread is about.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »