Food, Photography and Travel

The Universal Gear Sperging Thread of New Things

Tools
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
So i don't know how many of you have heard about the 5D3's light leak issue. People are throwing mass recall around pretty freely & canon have put a hold on all supply of bodies.

I can confirm it happens on mine. If you have the lens cap on & put it in av mode & start metering, then cover the top LCD the shutter speed changes dramatically. I've been pushing my exp comp +2/3 to +1 when using it to get a reasonable exposure.

That's a pretty massive thing to miss in testing :/

I've worked around it now by sticking some tape on the left 1/3rd of the top LCD. Improves the metering by miles and i can still see the most important bits of the display.

Last edited by NismoR31: 15-Apr-12 at 08:01am

Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
ouch!
angelbel +

This bird you cannot change

Times thanked
< 297
I've just been reading about that. Damn.
Correct me if I'm wrong, it's only an issue if you've got that LCD display illuminated in low light? Or is there more to it than that?
Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield.
That was pretty fucking ninja.

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
nah it's light hitting the lcd that screws with the metering. It only seems to affect it in darker places. Some people have said in daylight it does nothing

yesterday arvo in overcast light outside i was pushing +1ev to get a correct exposure, but that could've been quite normal as i was on full scene metering mode which usually needs a bit of a push anyway
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,082
canon have released a statement about it

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...01e02480538fc7

1dmk3 all over again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
i already registered mine on mycanon.com.au so hopefully they'll notify me when they decide to fix it
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
Shit eh?!! You'd think they would have been roadtesting this thing since, well since the 5DMkII. Damn. But it's fair to say with the public acknowledgement, it will be fixed.

Curious though, what's the M-Fn button by the shutter? Thinking it's some sort of user-assignable function key? But what would one want to assign to it at the ready while the finger's on the shutter???

I like the lockable mode dial too. Have bumped mine from [Av] to [M] a few times now.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
by default it's set to enable AF point control. I switched it all around though & don't use it. It's now purely decorative

there's an official mod for the 5D2 that replaced the mode dial with a lockable one. Costs about $150 all up for Canon AU to do it
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 317
i have my custom-tallman-finger-button set to "mute" flash fire, still get the benefit of low light assist from it tho

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho View Post

canon have released a statement about it

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...01e02480538fc7

1dmk3 all over again.

better than what nikon did about the d700 hotshoe issue.... "what issue?" :S
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pezman View Post

better than what nikon did about the d700 hotshoe issue.... "what issue?" :S

that happened to ayong's D700. hotshoe fucked up
didn't realise it was common
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
Canon AU quietly made a statement too

http://www.canon.com.au/Support-Serv...id=sctw1204025

fucked if you'd actually find it yourself on their website though. I asked them via twitter & they responded with that link a few days later
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
so the d800 is looking pretty shit hot

but more importantly

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D80...led-tests.html

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
still a massively shit test. He's resized the canon shot up to 36mp. of course you're going to lose detail
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

still a massively shit test. He's resized the canon shot up to 36mp. of course you're going to lose detail

you don't lose detail that was never there. i agree with him that it's somewhat more fair than downsizing the higher resolution images. however both should be included for best comparison.

i'm more impressed by the dynamic range and how much you can bring out from shadows!

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
i question his shadow pulling as well. I never get that bad a result unless i push 3 stops or more even with my 5D2.. 2 stops was my limit for usable recovery. I also question his method of overexposing 1 stop then doing -1 in post. what about highlights?? 1 stop over would blow those fuckers beyond recovery

yeah D800 has huge DR. that's something canon have always lacked.
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206
The 5d mk3 issue is ridiculous, but d800 is no better. There have been reports of lockups and having to remove batteries. AWESOME news for those shooting events :/
EAD
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
new firmware for 5D3 out
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/profession...ersAndSoftware

Quote:

Canon has released a firmware update for the EOS-5D Mark III.

Affected Product
EOS 5D Mark III

Firmware
Firmware Version 1.1.2 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

1. Supports a new accessory, GPS receiver GP-E2.
2. Fixes a phenomenon where a pink cast may develop over the image when the shutter is completely pressed with the camera’s power turned off (by the auto power off setting).
3. Fixes a phenomenon where the camera operation stops after one shot when shooting in High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode.
4. Fixes a phenomenon where the Shooting Date/Time in the EXIF data of the image shows a later time than the actual shooting time.
5. Fixes the time zone for the Samoa Islands.
6. Corrects errors in the Finnish menu screen.

Firmware Version 1.1.2 is for cameras with firmware up to version 1.0.7. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.1.2, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Canon USA also released a statement about resolving the light leak issue
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/c...ion-canon-usa/

Quote:

To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has concluded the investigation of this phenomenon, and this announcement informs you of our findings as described below.

Phenomenon
In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, based on the results of extensive testing this change in exposure value will not noticeably affect the captured image.

Affected Product
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
*Products whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2 are affected.
For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” ([x] represents any optional number.)

Support
Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images. However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May. Please contact Canon using the information below to request service.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Please register the EOS 5D Mark III. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

my serial number falls under that.. got a 1

Last edited by NismoR31: 24-Apr-12 at 11:22am

angelbel +

Times thanked
< 297
I've been umming and ahhing about whether to upgrade to a Mark II or Mark III. I think I'll wait a couple of months and go for the Mark III.

I'm also starting look at a new tripod head. The tripod I have is good and sturdy but the tripod head I have at the moment doesn't support the weight of my 7D + 24-105mm so well. Does anyone have any particular recommendations? I think I've currently got the 804RC2 3-way pan head.

rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
if you can afford it, vanguard bbh-100 would be hard to beat!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Ballhead.html

pm me if you want a hot price.

Spoiler:
lol, i peddle so many wares here

Quote:

angelbel +

Times thanked
< 297
How well does it hold up when you're shooting in portrait orientation? That's the biggest problem I'm having with mine. It supports the weight just fine until I flip to portrait where it very slowly drops.

Edit: I see they also go up a couple of models to support more weight, that's what I'd need.

Last edited by angelbel: 24-Apr-12 at 12:53pm

rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
the bbh-100 supports 10kg, that's a shit tonne of weight. but if you need more, then yeah, the higher models handle more.

they're rock solid. and in portrait orientation there's a little notch so it can't actually go further than 90 degrees.

the reason i love the bbh series so much, is there's a little switch on the side. when the switch is to the left, it acts like a normal ball head and you lock it in place with the lever. when you move the switch to the right, when you put the head dead centre, it locks it in place and you can pan with it. so brilliant.

edit - added picture so you can visualise the notch. 3-way heads are fucking shit. ball heads ftw!

again, reiterating that 10kg is more than you'll need. a 7d + lens will not even be 5kg. you don't need to worry about creep with ball heads, they simply don't move when locked in place, especially in portrait mode where they are stopped by the metal housing.

Quote:

Last edited by rancho: 24-Apr-12 at 01:14pm

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
that's where physics comes into play. 10kg will be measured with the entire load directly on top of it in the landscape position. when you switch to portrait it will be come a significantly larger than 10kg force being applied to the head via mechanical gain or 'Moments'

same shit with my 488RC2 ball head when i have even just my 24-70 mounted. It still holds the weight just fine but you have to account for sag because of the load on the end

short answer: get a stronger model

irellevant info: hey i remembered physics & engineering science shit from high school
angelbel +

Times thanked
< 297
Nismo is on the money. I know my gear weighs a lot less than 10kg but my current head is supposed to be able to handle it and doesn't

rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
i have a bbh-100 here, if you want i can put a body + heavy lens on it and see how it goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelbel View Post

Nismo is on the money. I know my gear weighs a lot less than 10kg but my current head is supposed to be able to handle it and doesn't

yeah but that's coz it's a shitty 3-way head

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206

Quote:

i have a bbh-100 here, if you want i can put a body + heavy lens on it and see how it goes.

i'm curious

i always wondered if my frotto head was a bit shit. you got something in the way of a 24-70L + 5D2/3 handy to throw on it?
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
just had a run around, i have heaps of lenses in canon, nikon and sony mount but only a 70-300 in pentax mount. not going to be heavy enough.

ive got a 120-300 f/2.8. maybe ill bring my 1d in on thursday. i bet it will even handle that

Quote:

angelbel +

Times thanked
< 297
Sweet! I'm most likely going to be upgrading within the next 12 months or so anyway so I want to make sure whatever I get can handle more weight that I've got.

rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
ok, so a salesman just nicked off with my bbh-100 so i grabbed this head, which incidentally is only rated at 8kg.

facing down, not all the way so plenty of resistance on the ball.

portrait mode. piece of piss because it's resting against the metal housing.

probably the most stressful position available.

lens weighs just under 3kg from memory.

Quote:

Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
I hate my 3-way tripod head -- can't angle it sky high without offset/rotating the quick release plate >_<
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
my issue with my current head is not holding the weight, it's the flex that happens after you lock it in position. I'll frame the shot, lock and let go then it sags slightly & my framing moves significantly. I need to counter for it by aiming up a little & hope i guessed right.
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
yeah, ive had that problem with some heads ive used too. le vanguard ballheads dont suffer such a fate. the lever on the bbh series is heaps easier to lock than the dials on some heads (such as the above) too.

Quote:

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

I've been umming and ahhing about whether to upgrade to a Mark II or Mark III. I think I'll wait a couple of months and go for the Mark III.

Is it just a budget thing? Money aside, I'd absolutely pick the MkIII, and if money's an issue (and you've got something that works already - and your 7D is arguably the better tech over the MkII in a number of ways), then wait for the MkIII to drop in coming months.

Quote:

I'm also starting look at a new tripod head. The tripod I have is good and sturdy but the tripod head I have at the moment doesn't support the weight of my 7D + 24-105mm so well. Does anyone have any particular recommendations? I think I've currently got the 804RC2 3-way pan head.

I get the attraction of the swift response from a ball head, but if you'd like to stick with a pan tilt, and want something signficantly heavier duty, then the Manfrotto 229 is the ticket.

I find having spirit levels on every plane is handy too. Downside is the weight to a degree, but that's also what it has going for it.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
Nikon have a real recall for D800 owners. Exploding batteries!

http://mynikonlife.com.au/articles/e...-safety-recall
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,607
Well at least the flash will be bright enough.
angelbel +

Times thanked
< 297

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Is it just a budget thing? Money aside, I'd absolutely pick the MkIII, and if money's an issue (and you've got something that works already - and your 7D is arguably the better tech over the MkII in a number of ways), then wait for the MkIII to drop in coming months.

Budget is a consideration. I think I'm just going to wait a bit and go straight for the Mark III. Will probably want a new lens or two as well though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

I get the attraction of the swift response from a ball head, but if you'd like to stick with a pan tilt, and want something signficantly heavier duty, then the Manfrotto 229 is the ticket.

I find having spirit levels on every plane is handy too. Downside is the weight to a degree, but that's also what it has going for it.

Interesting. I may end up looking at getting two as I'm thinking about getting a lighter, more travel friendly tripod. The ballhead would be good for travelling with but something like this would be good for when I'm closer to home.

It's a good thing I'm planning on winning that $50 million next week.

Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
If I win lotto, you're all getting new kits!
angelbel +

Times thanked
< 297
Yessss!!

atrev2much +

Times thanked
< 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemerage View Post

If I win lotto, you're all getting new kits!

Holding you to that.

What counts as a Kit....

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby

I did a traineeship in network admin before I got a job as a fgt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evangelion001

For sure!! they are developing a double headed machine, so you can do your arse and vag at the same time, should be on our shores next year( I am looking REALLY forward to that one)

I give upFlickr&BL0G
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
I don't buy lottery tickets
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
if i win the lottery you're all getting new kilts.

Quote:

Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 317

Quote:

the bbh-100 supports 10kg, that's a shit tonne of weight. but if you need more, then yeah, the higher models handle more.

they're rock solid. and in portrait orientation there's a little notch so it can't actually go further than 90 degrees.

the reason i love the bbh series so much, is there's a little switch on the side. when the switch is to the left, it acts like a normal ball head and you lock it in place with the lever. when you move the switch to the right, when you put the head dead centre, it locks it in place and you can pan with it. so brilliant.

edit - added picture so you can visualise the notch. 3-way heads are fucking shit. ball heads ftw!

again, reiterating that 10kg is more than you'll need. a 7d + lens will not even be 5kg. you don't need to worry about creep with ball heads, they simply don't move when locked in place, especially in portrait mode where they are stopped by the metal housing.

what a capital idea! im considering getting a new head for my vanguard, that play in the horizontal swivel (between the degree minute markings and the arrow in the above pic) i mentioned when i first got it has gotten worse and it now has a good mill or 2 of play in it now :S still not sure about a ball head tho. having to reset both x and y axis everytime i made a small adjustment would drive me insane!
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
come in and play with it if you're not sure about it.

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206
^ pez all the more reason to get a 5D3.. it has a built-in spirit level to make it easy to get your horizon straight
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Pez is a purist.
He wouldn't like that.
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,842
I had a bit of a play with one of those Vanguard trigger heads (or whatever they're called, the ones with the gun-like bizzo) and they seemed pretty good.
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,082
the gh-100 grip head?

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod7526.htm

they're pretty sweet but a bit big. i prefer the ball heads.

Quote:

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,842
That's the one. The ball heads I've played with have been kind of fiddly - that thing sure as hell wasn't. But yeah, it is pretty big (TWSS).
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 317

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

^ pez all the more reason to get a 5D3.. it has a built-in spirit level to make it easy to get your horizon straight

you mean like the one on the d700 or on the tripod?

doesnt really help when youre not shooting "level". even if it did, turning a 1-2 sec maneuver into 10-15 times that by having to dick around with menus/modes to get it back to how it was, sounds like unnecessary faffing to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemerage View Post

Pez is a purist.
He wouldn't like that.

yep, i need a tripod to hold a camera in place and move how i want it AND i want lcds that dont leak light!

if youre not a purist youre a poof!
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,206

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pezman View Post

even if it did, turning a 1-2 sec maneuver into 10-15 times that by having to dick around with menus/modes to get it back to how it was, sounds like unnecessary faffing to me

huh? you press the same button twice on the 5D3. I guess Nikon don't think much when designing access to their features

« Previous Thread Next Thread »