Entertainment and the Arts

The Hunger Games (Movie)

Page 2 of 3
  Tools
stargazer +

Ooooeeeeoooo

Times thanked
< 813
huh, saw a promotional shot, the guy playing peeta is hella short... I wonder how many boxes they'll have him standing on...
RIP SGU
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,067
Finished it this morning. Siiiiiick...!

Can't wait to see this now
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,804
Yeah... my girl is going nuts over the books, she is about a 3rd way through the 2nd - I hate catching her crying over books...
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
I'm pretty sure the movie will be shit, based on past experience of the majority of great books being made into shit movies.
Jackie Kennedy would not have camel toe!
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,067

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onslaught View Post

Yeah... my girl is going nuts over the books, she is about a 3rd way through the 2nd - I hate catching her crying over books...

I cried at Redfern station last Friday when I was reading it.

Not a full-on vagina bawl, but I got a lump in my throat and my eyes misted up.

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
full on vagina bawl.

saddest part for me is in the third book
Spoiler:
when the cat comes back and she bursts into tears
http://soundcloud.com/jarrardscott
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,067
The free iPhone game by the creator of Canabalt is out
MadMike +

Times thanked
< 3,882
Saw it just now. I've read the entire series and they've done an amazing job translating into onto the big screen. Could have been gorier, and 2 1/2 hours isn't quite enough time to develop the characters enough for newcomers, but overall an amazing treat for fans.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,804
Thought that was amazing! I had never seen Lenny Kravitz without sun glasses.

I enjoy how most dystopian futures decide to genetically enhance animals for no reason at all
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,067
GF's reading the book now!

Hopefully get to the cinema this week, but more likely it'll be the next. DAMMIT.
MadMike +

Times thanked
< 3,882

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onslaught View Post

I enjoy how most dystopian futures decide to genetically enhance animals for no reason at all

It's explained in a totally creepy way in the book.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,417
JRod?
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
prob go see it next weekend. too busy this one.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,804
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

No movie ever goes out after an R rating JRod, that's just rubbish. What was the last movie that was rated R and generated a shitload of money at the box office? I'll wait patiently whilst you :research:.

:feauxcough: Caligula :feauxcough:

Nah I kid. That only made $23 million at the box office.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437
Tarantino's flicks are mostly R-rated and do well at the box office. But there's a big difference between making an adult flick from scratch and taking PG source material and making an R-rated flick out of it, which would be dumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,433

Quote:

A Clockwork Orange was released in 1971 and Requim is 11 years old, it also pulled in less than 10 million at the box office.
The Hangover is really the only R rated comedy to do any money in recent memory.

Ridley Scott was seeking an R rating for Prometheus...
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

crabman +

I might be a **** but I'm not a fucking ****.

Times thanked
< 8,299

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazer View Post

They are marketed and categorised as Young Adult novels, which by definition is aimed at 10-20 year olds and just because you 'know' guys who have read it, doesn't change the facts

This. On the tele they've referred to it as "Twilight for teens" and "a gritty teen drama". Pretty damning imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

الاستماع إلى ... ال التنفس المدينة.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,067
Telly.

Unless you pronounce it "teh-leh". In which case, you're a twat.
crabman +

I might be a **** but I'm not a fucking ****.

Times thanked
< 8,299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

الاستماع إلى ... ال التنفس المدينة.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
movie wasnt bad. a couple small changes from the books but nothing major.

the books tell the story better but the movie was still good. a few great adaptions to film, some not as great.
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
< 6,078
saw this on friday. jesus christ it was half-horribad

i didnt know anything about it, besides being a battle royale rip. even though i had an inkling it was for teen girls, i went in very open minded.

i enjoyed the shit out of the first half. the actors, the setting, the premise, and pacing were all very very good. i was honestly thinking 'holy shit, i love hunger games!'. i was hooked.

then it turned into an incredibly cliched cringe worthy teen romance movie. it was so bad i was actually laughing out loud at some of the dialogue. and really corny shit like

(not a massive spoiler)
Spoiler:
when the dude is injured and he managed to paint his face with camoflague fuck that was hilarious. i couldnt stop laughing at this dude being on deaths door, but somehow managing to do this killer face paint shit with his epic cake baking skills

and

(kind of a spoiler)
Spoiler:
the robot dogs, who are computer generated, and powerful, and scary, but cant outrun a chick and cant jump higher than a metre on top of the shit at the end? cmon!!! thats so fucking shit.

at the end of the movie, the whole thing just fell apart. which is a shame since it started out so well. and had a lot of the elements needed to make it a fucking awesome movie. but it just concluded with a big fucking MEH

Spoiler:
"so now what?"
"we try to forget..."
"i dont want to forget..."
cue: soppy music and wistful looks

LAAAAAAAME

definitely go and see it if you love the books. but its a shame they ham handed large parts of the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgd6MccwZc
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
< 6,078
oh. and wheres the violence? its a movie about kids killing each other but you dont see one single death. wtf! family friendly kid killing shot on shakey-cam™
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,067
Going tonight
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

Spoiler:
when the dude is injured and he managed to paint his face with camoflague fuck that was hilarious. i couldnt stop laughing at this dude being on deaths door, but somehow managing to do this killer face paint shit with his epic cake baking skills

Spoiler:
he did the camoflage before he was to that point.

Quote:

Spoiler:
the robot dogs, who are computer generated, and powerful, and scary, but cant outrun a chick and cant jump higher than a metre on top of the shit at the end? cmon!!! thats so fucking shit.

Spoiler:
they were actually mutations of the fallen contestants, not robots. not explained well in the movie

Quote:

at the end of the movie, the whole thing just fell apart. which is a shame since it started out so well. and had a lot of the elements needed to make it a fucking awesome movie. but it just concluded with a big fucking MEH

Spoiler:
"so now what?"
"we try to forget..."
"i dont want to forget..."
cue: soppy music and wistful looks

LAAAAAAAME

theres 2 more books so of course there was no ending.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670

Quote:

oh. and wheres the violence? its a movie about kids killing each other but you dont see one single death. wtf! family friendly kid killing shot on shakey-cam™

did you see the same movie as i did? you saw loads of deaths, they just did it in a way to not show it so gory.
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
< 6,078
yeh. zero-gore shakey-cam. i guess they wanted their movie about kids being forced to kill each other to get a PG rating.
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,804
Yeah, with JRad on that too
Spoiler:
the beginning slaughter, Rue harpooned in the chest, Jock boy being put down (arrow to the head) after being mulled my Gene Dogs, the girl being fkd up by the TrackerJacker (?) hornets

Fck dude.
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
< 6,078
Spoiler:
they didnt show any of that though. they showed them dead. but you didnt see the harpoon going in. you didnt see the arrow in the face. you only saw the girl getting stung by bees cause its not that gruesome

i wanted blood spurting out of decapitated kids. rambo style heart rips. exploding bodies into red mist. is that too much to ask?
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
you wanted an MA - R rating.
forget it.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,417

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Tarantino's flicks are mostly R-rated and do well at the box office. But there's a big difference between making an adult flick from scratch and taking PG source material and making an R-rated flick out of it, which would be dumb.

Not that I want to keep this conversation going really but which of Taratino's movies are R rated and have generated large Box Office?

http://boxofficemojo.com/people/char...=tarantino.htm

Only Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers (both made in 1994) are from that list, a fair while ago now (remember seeing Pulp Fiction at the flicks - lol).

My point was, no film company actively aims for an R rating, it's the dead zone - a movie needs to have a low as rating as possible to appeal to a wider audience to generate the most box office. This movie, Hunger Games, is for teens and there is no way they would have went out and cut off all their core market to make it violent.

Anyway, glad you liked it JRod, I've heard nothing but good reports from the people* at my work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Ridley Scott was seeking an R rating for Prometheus...

Prometheus Should Be Rated R But Will Wind Up PG-13, Says Ridley Scott

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Prome...ott-30196.html

Quote:

The PG-13 rating is probably the most abused thing in Hollywood, more so than CGI monsters or the Wilhelm Scream or anything else you think you're sick of. Movies that are extremely violent but promoted by a major studio, like The Hunger Games, can slip in with a PG-13, while indie documentaries that contain one too many f-bombs, like Bully, get slapped with an R. The argument about what the MPAA is doing for us with this inconsistent rating is raging on and probably will be forever, but in the meantime directors of movies large and small are finding ways to work with it and work around it-- and if you've been working as Ridley Scott, that means making a movie that would have been one rating 15 years ago, and is another today.

Talking to the UK magazine Empire, Scott wound up talking about the American rating for his new film Prometheus, acknowledging that there's a big financial incentive to make the expensive sci-fi project a PG-13, but that he wanted to push the envelope as close as possible to an R-Rating. Here's the quote in question:

"The question is, do you go for the PG-13, [which] financially makes quite a difference, or do you go for what it should be, which is R? Essentially, it's kinda R. It's not just about the blood, it's about ideas that are very stressful. I'm not an idiot, but I'll do everything I can to get the most aggressive film I can."

By "I'm not an idiot" I assume Scott means "I'm not an idiot, and I'll make this film a PG-13 because there's a ton of money to be made that way." The original two Alien films were both rated R, but both were released before the PG-13 rating existed. Both would probably get an R-rating again as the system stands today, but they probably would be pressured into the PG-13 anyway, as most studios recognize how hard it is to build a franchise on an R-rated film. Prometheus, as much as Scott insists it's not actually an Alien film, is very much a continuation of a franchise. PG-13 seems like a foregone conclusion at this point.

So how hard will he push it? How violent is this film going to get? We don't really know much beyond the glimpses of the film we've seen in the intriguing recent trailers-- none of them promising much in the way of bloodshed or intense violence. As much as Scott seems dedicated to keeping the movie under wraps, we probably won't learn more for a while-- but you can at least count on that PG-13 rating in the end.

* Women
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
Onslaught +

I don't like you.

Times thanked
< 3,804

Quote:

Only Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers (both made in 1994) are from that list, a fair while ago now (remember seeing Pulp Fiction at the flicks - lol).

Natural Born Killers was an Oliver Stone film, with credit given to Tarantino as one of the writers.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,417
Well, there you go - so only Pulp Fiction.
Rockah +

Times thanked
< 443
Saw this on Saturday, haven't read the books, thought it was very bad.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670

Quote:

Anyway, glad you liked it JRod, I've heard nothing but good reports from the people* at my work.

thanks man.

yeah I really liked it but I know it could have been better. good and bad. means the second and third movie have the possibility of being better than the first. because the first book was the best.

i think the main thing the movie is missing is whats going on inside katniss' head.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,417
Always good when a movcie based on a book can deliver in some regards.
Chharge +

Summer is coming

Times thanked
< 1,947
I really enjoyed it. Havent read the books, but I really enjoyed the flick. keen for the next one or and hopefully third.

Love Jennifer Lawrence

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

Any sex enthusiast should whore it up at least once in their life IMO,
Its the oldest profession in the world.
Are you calling everyone wrong?.

TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
< 6,078
jennifer lawrence is a babe. she's like renee zellwegger on a diet with a shade of ivanka trump
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
< 372
I'm pretty sure I saw this movie when I was 12 years old and it gave me nightmares for years.
Back then it was called Battle Royale
Media Player
BATTLE ROYALE trailer -- Coming soon to blu-ray & dvd! - YouTube
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,067
Enjoyed the shit out of it. Easily one of the most faithful book adaptations I've ever seen.

The casting was so spot on. Would do Katniss. Multiple times.

Couple of things:
Spoiler:
didn't like the riots in District 11 in place of them sending her the loaf of bread, don't understand why they did that; and the Muttations weren't as fucked up as I imagined.

Other than that, pretty damn happy! Gonna get the second book today
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

Spoiler:
didn't like the riots in District 11 in place of them sending her the loaf of bread, don't understand why they did that; and the Muttations weren't as fucked up as I imagined.

Spoiler:
i was also curious about this sequence of events...
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
< 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

clockwork orange and requiem for a dream both were high earners for when they came out and R rated werent they?

im sure ive seen quite a few r rated comedies that have earnt a lot.

i would jhust like to point out that requiem for a dream did not make money on initial release and has only recently made its budget back now after being around for 12 years.

clockwork orange got about 3 plays worldwide before being banned just about everywhere - and then even when it had the chance to be re-released kubrick said no for many years as he recieved death threats against his family if it was to be released.

so no - that would have to be the most wrong post i have ever read.

also us R is diff to Aus R.

District 9 made quite a bit of ca$h and that was US R but Aus MA from memory

The Hunger Games looks gash - Battle Royale (or Running Man) vs Twilight.

PLz continue.
Julesplees/PlasticMusic Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/user38450
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
The comparisons between the hunger games and battle royale are fkn annoying.

i understand the similarities but it isnt a ripoff, the author hadnt even heard of battle royale till after the hunger games was released.

also

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/societ...402-1w8pl.html

man this is a fucking annoying opinion piece. Even if i didnt like the movie i'd still find this annoying as fuck.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 13,067
Jesus Christ, that really is annoying as fuck.

Why do people always do things they don't want to do? Because their loved ones would suffer if they didn't. This is made pretty fucking clear.

Can't be arsed addressing the rest.
tapout +

tapout 1, utes 0.

Times thanked
< 3,306
Just saw the movie, liked it on the whole but they really didn't get how desperate the kids were for food/water across at all.
Spoiler:
it was odd they didn't change the blowing up of the Careers resources bit, in the books it's understandable as there is hardly any water or food so depriving them of theirs was a tactical move, but in no point of the movie did it even look like anyone was hungry or thirsty. The whole movie just lacked the utter desperation portrayed in the books.
franko123 +

Hello, this is your captain speaking.

Times thanked
< 861
having seen the movie without reading the books i was left a bit confused about most the shit...

it seemed very disjointed and rushed. like so much happened with little explanation it left me feeling a bit like "wtf was the point of this or that" by the end of it i was just embarassed to be still in the theatre... sappy faggotry got so bad towards the end me and the mrs we're just laughing at it
MitchhctiM +

Times thanked
< 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by franko123 View Post

having seen the movie without reading the books i was left a bit confused about most the shit...

it seemed very disjointed and rushed. like so much happened with little explanation it left me feeling a bit like "wtf was the point of this or that" by the end of it i was just embarassed to be still in the theatre... sappy faggotry got so bad towards the end me and the mrs we're just laughing at it

Hardly, the whole thing progressed at a snail's pace.
tapout +

tapout 1, utes 0.

Times thanked
< 3,306

Quote:

Originally Posted by franko123 View Post

The books really needed to be turned into a HBO TV series rather than a PG film, they had to rush so much of it rather than setting a back story or explain everything well, i still liked it but its nowhere near as good as the forst 30min lead you to believe it would be.
Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence
dAvoZ +

Registered Boozer

Times thanked
< 30
sif kids are gonna be joining a gang laughing about knocking the others off while knowing only one comes out alive.

and then computer generated things causing real physical damage was retarded.
Page 2 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »