Sydney

Chinese Laundry BOAT PARTY ft JAMES ZABIELA (UK,3 Hour set) - sat May 5th

Title:

All About:

All About

+Follow

Add Follows

Stay informed about your favourite artists and events. We'll email you whenever there is new events, news or content posted about your favourite things. Simply select those you want to be notified about View my Follows |  Follow Settings

• Flume
  • James Zabiela
  • Jeff Drake
  • Matttt
  • Club Junque
  • Whitecat
Cancel Finish

Description:

Kicking off from 2pm at King Street Wharf, Chinese Laundry’s very first Boat Party ‘Mayday’ is headlined by Laundry favourite and Hearing Aid head honcho – James Zabiela. The man whom Sasha refers to as “The Gov’ner”, his mind-blowing mixing abilities are...

Page 3 of 4
  Tools
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by JukeBox View Post

^
Worst discount ever

really ? $20 to see James Zabiela , Alex Niggemann & george Fitzgerald

biggest tight ass ever more like it ha ha
June 6th - Danny Byrd (UK) + Hamilton (UK) @ Oxford Art Factory

June 7th - Defected in The House @ Pacha ft Kenny Dope (USA) + Sam Divine (UK) - Ivy
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 339
2 tickets for sale for the boat. PM me for details.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasaparty View Post

really ? $20 to see James Zabiela , Alex Niggemann & george Fitzgerald

biggest tight ass ever more like it ha ha

Have to say I agree with him, $85 + booking fees should just flat out get you into both...already spent $90 for the boat party, and you want $20 more to get into the club which is presenting the boat cruise?!?!

Darkbeat b'day party here was a boat cruise with Dave Seamen, then the club with Dave playing again, Chris Fortier, Nic Fanciulli, Lexicon Avenue AND Layo and Bushwacka...all for about half the price of this boat cruise...yes, I know this was a fair few years ago, and yes I realise the quality of boat used is vastly different, but still, you get the idea...$85 for the party alone is fucking pricey, the most I've ever paid for just a 1 international DJ event infact, and it doesn't even get us into an afterparty?!?! Sorry man, it's rank
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 988

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Have to say I agree with him, $85 + booking fees should just flat out get you into both...already spent $90 for the boat party, and you want $20 more to get into the club which is presenting the boat cruise?!?!

Darkbeat b'day party here was a boat cruise with Dave Seamen, then the club with Dave playing again, Chris Fortier, Nic Fanciulli, Lexicon Avenue AND Layo and Bushwacka...all for about half the price of this boat cruise...yes, I know this was a fair few years ago, and yes I realise the quality of boat used is vastly different, but still, you get the idea...$85 for the party alone is fucking pricey, the most I've ever paid for just a 1 international DJ event infact, and it doesn't even get us into an afterparty?!?! Sorry man, it's rank

You're not taking in account the fact that the boat is very expensive to use
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 339
It is a pretty awesome boat.
"...and I know that I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with. And I know that given the choice I probably wouldn't have chosen you as friends but I just wanna say that over the years I've come to regard you as........ people I met."
- Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,253
Wasn't I?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

and yes I realise the quality of boat used is vastly different

Still think it's very very expensive for 1 international DJ and no afterparty...I wouldn't think the same if promoter had been decent enough to come to the party with industry priced tickets for me/some form of discount once it was realised there were so many still available since I'd already purchased the full priced ones, but dude doesn't seem that keen on doing that, so whatevs...

Last edited by Random_Kiwi: 02-May-12 at 10:14am

special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 2,991
Possibly because you've been venting your frustration on a public forum, instead of maybe contacting Paul or other promoters privately?
soundcloud
mixcloud
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,253
Wrong, actually contacted them via private message and got told no, so then I vented...next

Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

mate feel free to contact all the international artists & local artists and see if they will play for Free at the Chinese Laundry so you can get in for free

they are 2 seperate events , 2 seperate budgets

The Boat is very very expensive to operate & we actually priced all the tickets way cheaper then we actually needed too just so we could ensure that everyone was able to attend this amazing event !

i can tell by your posts that you do not have any clue about events or how much they cost to run or the amount of work that goes in to them

i am not sure how you expect the Chinese Laundry to be able to do an event with 3 internationals as well as a huge local line up with massive over heads and get free entry .. i am sorry but what you are suggesting is just not realistic

as it is it was $45 for the similar event last year with james Zabiela , Midland & Tom Budden

and we are only charging $20 if you have been on the boat for a line up that any other promoter would be charging $45 + for

June 7th - Defected in The House @ Pacha ft Kenny Dope (USA) + Sam Divine (UK) - Ivy

Last edited by Hasaparty: 02-May-12 at 10:51am

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,253

Quote:

i can tell by your posts that you do not have any clue about events or how much they cost to run or the amount of work that goes in to them

Mate, I've put on boat parties in Melbourne before, so I'm not a complete inept retard, but thanks for your condescension and constant unprofessionalism on all fronts

I can tell by your posts and lack of interest in supplying a diehard fan some industry tickets that don't have a clue about keeping punters happy and do not care about anything more than yoursself and money, kudos...you're almost making me remorseful for the decision I made to come up for this and support you

Fret not though, I won't let it stop me from having a good time not that you give a shit

special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 2,991
from what i've read you bought full price tickets when the initial lot of industry tix were gone?. So thats not something the promoters have control over.
if you have an issue email chinese laundry directly

enough of the bitching please
soundcloud
mixcloud
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

Mate, I've put on boat parties in Melbourne before, so I'm not a complete inept retard, but thanks for your condescension and constant unprofessionalism on all fronts

I can tell by your posts and lack of interest in supplying a diehard fan some industry tickets that don't have a clue about keeping punters happy and do not care about anything more than yoursself and money, kudos...you're almost making me remorseful for the decision I made to come up for this and support you

Fret not though, I won't let it stop me from having a good time not that you give a shit

all i ever do is do my best to ensure all our punters are happy

i am one of the only promoters that even takes the time every single week to communicate in this forum for every gig chatting posting set times , keeping every one proper informed

but like any other promoter events need to be successful so we can continue putting on great events with the best headliners & keep being able to put on events such as this boat party

you missed out on the 1st release & 2nd release tickets yourself & one of our promoters was offering industry tickets in this thread as well .. i believe his first post offering tickets was the 5th post in this thread

by the time you contacted me , i couldnt help at that point in time as all our industry tickets were out with the promo team and allocated

i am not sure what more you want me to do !

if you are such a fan of James as you say , then how about be happy you are flying to another city for a great weekend away , attending a awesome event on an amazing boat , on one of the worlds most scenic harbours listening to what is supposed to be one of your favourite djs and also great local talent surrounded by a great crowd of like minded fans of james Zabiela

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,253
They weren't gone though, there was fifty of them which were unsold that I could have got if they'd been at all proactive about it, but no, instead they're now up for general sale at full price...hence me being a bit annoyed since I asked nicely weeks and weeks ago, via PM's and posts here...so yah, sorry to be venting/ranting, but it's frustrating when we're talking about $160 difference between the 4 tickets purchased and you're flying in from a different state specifically for the gig

No beef specifically with Chinese Laundry

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,253

Quote:

if you are such a fan of James as you say , then how about be happy you are flying to another city for a great weekend away , attending a awesome event on an amazing boat , on one of the worlds most scenic harbours listening to what is supposed to be one of your favourite djs and also great local talent surrounded by a great crowd of like minded fans of james Zabiela

Like I said, not going to stop me having a good time, but surely you can understand my frustration just a little if you put yourself in my shoes?

And I get annoyed when someone starts in with the "clueless" kinda insults, mmmk, most people do, it wasn't called for, I wasn't calling you any names, just venting my frustration at what I feel is a bit of a run around

There's ways you could have helped me out when those 50 unsold industries came back in instead of just putting them up for general public sale at full price...this, as a promoter, is what I would have done if there was someone flying up to a party I was running

Anyways, enough said, moving on, see you on the deck

Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

Like I said, not going to stop me having a good time, but surely you can understand my frustration just a little if you put yourself in my shoes?

And I get annoyed when someone starts in with the "clueless" kinda insults, mmmk, most people do, it wasn't called for, I wasn't calling you any names, just venting my frustration at what I feel is a bit of a run around

There's ways you could have helped me out when those 50 unsold industries came back in instead of just putting them up for general public sale at full price...this, as a promoter, is what I would have done if there was someone flying up to a party I was running

Anyways, enough said, moving on, see you on the deck

hadnt you already bought 4 tickets by this point in time though ? so then you would have bought 8 tickets and need be trying to sell 4 to get your money back

the whole point of calling back hard copy tickets which were allocated to people who were taking their time to pay the promo team members for the tix is so the boat does not get over sold as it is a very strict capacity

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,253
Yes I already had the tickets, there are ways around that other than buying 4 more and me trying to sell the 4 others, thinking outside the box such as partial refund the difference or discount/comp drinks tickets as a good will gesture etc

Sorry, I just took it as a bit of a kick in the teeth when told 'sorry, no indsutries' to then read 'hey, 50 unsold industries up for sell at full price'...as I'm sure you would have if in this position...I totally get you want to maximise sales/not have them unsold, that's standard for sure mate, but it was just a bit "arrr wtf?", ya know?

bradj88 +

Times thanked
< 26
Weathers looking good. Should be good times!
SeanFromSydney +

Times thanked
< 7
Dubsidia at Arthouse afterward if anyone is looking for another option to after party. Not as close as laundry and doesnt start as early but thats where im headed after the boat.

See you on Saturday!
mighty toy +

looking forward to a big weekend @ laundry !

Times thanked
< 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradj88 View Post

Weathers looking good. Should be good times!

Yes indeed
Ministry Of Sound Australia
Promotional Manager @ Soapbox Events + Chinese Laundry
Captain at Pacha Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/its.scott.james

https://twitter.com/#!/scottyslaundry

Instagram - itscottjames
JacquiM +

C'monnnn weekend!

Times thanked
< 13
I cant make it to the cruise... Selling my ticket for $70

Send me a PM if you're keen.

Cheers!
gowmesh +

Times thanked
< 5
I thought it was 6 hours cruise. Well it was when I was buying my tix 2-8pm. As long as JZ is still playing a 3 hour set I wont protest to get my $ back.
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowmesh View Post

I thought it was 6 hours cruise. Well it was when I was buying my tix 2-8pm. As long as JZ is still playing a 3 hour set I wont protest to get my $ back.

it has always been 2-7

never once was it 8pm as we only have ever had the boat til 7pm

set times have been posted already & are available on the website and also facebook for Chinese Laundry

RJD2 +

Times thanked
< 1
Selling 1 x ticket for $60. PM me.
I want to do a romance inside of you
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,253
Also have a spare ticket which needs offloading...PM me or email your number and will call to sort it out

djpete DOT gordon AT gmail DOT com

$60

RJD2 +

Times thanked
< 1
im dropping my ticket price to $50. PM me!
I want to do a romance inside of you
Ben Royal +

Times thanked
< 127

Quote:

You should put on a boat party on an amazing boat in an one of the worlds best harbours with a huge international headliner, cheap ticket prices followed by a free entry afterparty with more internationals in a really expensive city. Clearly the guy running Laundry has absolutely no idea what he is doing and you do.

I'm sure the costs would not be any more than that piece of crap they use in Melbourne to float around the freezing, howling Docklands next to container ships unloading shipping crates.

mixes and remixes @ soundcloud.com/benroyal
gowmesh +

Times thanked
< 5
take it easy yo... random kiwi is a good bloke, at least he replies when ya ask him about tickets... unlike some other ppl who doesn't have general ethics to respond.
bradj88 +

Times thanked
< 26
Got a spare ticket to this 55 bucks
ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
< 3,166
Mega jelly for not being on this boat.
was fab tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbomb203 View Post

Sausages make everything better astro. FACT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameszabiela

I have to disagree with regards to the sausages...

mighty toy +

looking forward to a big weekend @ laundry !

Times thanked
< 53
So keen ! See you all there
Ministry Of Sound Australia
Promotional Manager @ Soapbox Events + Chinese Laundry
Captain at Pacha Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/its.scott.james

https://twitter.com/#!/scottyslaundry

Instagram - itscottjames
trancefan +

music is the answer

Times thanked
< 13
Just count yourself lucky Random Kiwi that you're actually free to go, I would love to be on that boat and then at the after party, if I were single...
Money is just money, it comes and goes. Fun times and good memories are worth it!
Have fun!
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 339
I have one spare ticket left. $60 can meet at the boat.
geordieboy +

RR Rockin

Times thanked
< 0
Have 2 tix for sale as can't make the boat, $55 each. PM me asap if you want them - can meet down there.
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Oh man. You guys are so lucky!
Order my book Being Bi-Bi - a memoir on mental health and sexuality -here.
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
How'd it go friengs?? Brilliant?? Of course, it's James Zabiela.

see you at the after party!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 431
Massively missed the mark for me. Massively. 90mins+ of that set seemed to be 'bass music' and over-the-top bland percussive stuff. Really bland sounds, no distinct groove, and that second hour with all the dubstep influences really lost me A world away from the warmer sounds I'd normally expect.

Bought it back a bit towards the end (acid house track at 5:55 was a monster, any IDs?) but definitely my least favorite Zabiela outing. I love the guy and I suppose it's just a symptom of how experimental he is that he'll miss the mark personally sometimes, but yeah find myself wishing I'd saved the $80 and gone to Orbital
JukeBox +

Times thanked
< 2
It was amazing, def the best set I have heard from JZ, together with a good crowd and being right at the front, cant go wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by hektikshuffla

me and my boys will all be doing it it looks wicked when we have a full crew each taking turns and throwing out new mooves

jameszabiela +

Times thanked
< 91
I'm just a man playing (mostly) other people's music.

But thanks for the comments. Good and bad

X
trancefan +

music is the answer

Times thanked
< 13
^^ a very talented man!
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
And always so humble.

Don't ever change JZ.
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
< 380
That was fucking awesome!!! I had sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun!!
Loved every little aspect of his set!! Would say its the best set I've heard from Zabs since the 2010 Essential Mix
Can anyone ID that atmospheric DnB track he played at the end? what a FUCKING TUNE!!!
Great party Paul! Props to you and everyone involved for putting it on.
Zabiela is a Wizard!!!
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool
bradj88 +

Times thanked
< 26
Awesome set. So many track ID's needed!
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,395
Anyone see the feral looking guy in a wetsuit who walked through the crowd on the wharf waiting to get on the boat? That was me

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

cizza +

Cats are floppy.

Times thanked
< 1,853
Must say - Bloody top day. Great crowd, great music. Thanks to the organisers for not over selling this event, there was plenty of room to move around. From what ive heard of the AGWA parties theyre a lot more packed so well done to Laundry!

Kept moving between JZ and Club Junque upstairs who absolutely smashed it!
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152
Glad to see you had a great time

Thanks to everyone that came along for our first ever boat party , i have to say i think it was a very smooth running event & was such an incredible day

great crowd , vibe was fantastic in both the main room & the top deck

the sound guys did an amazing job as well , was so impressed with the sound !

all the local djs played awesome , and in particular got massive feedback on Raulll , Whitecat & Jeff Drake

and James Zabeila , as expected , 3 hours of pure Zabielatronic 3000 craziness

was the perfect way to celebrate Zabiela and myself working together for 10 years as well & i think he delivered one of the best sets i have heard him play in that time , best thing about James is he is always looking to push fresh new sounds , move between genre's with ease & then tie it all in with his technical skills & showmanship

i am already waiting for next years visit

wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 339
What a great day on the boat. Zabiela's set was brilliant, what a DJ he is - his style is infectious. He has this amazing ability to marry various styles together and make it seem right like no other can. The first hour and last 45mins in particular were amazing.
Anyone know what that proggy tune he played just before 6:30 was? Loved that.

Overall the laundry guys did a pretty good job with the boat, sound was good, staff were friendly, my only gripe is the DJ setup. It needed to be a foot higher than the floor for Zabiela - you need to be able to see him, its part of his attraction.
"...and I know that I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with. And I know that given the choice I probably wouldn't have chosen you as friends but I just wanna say that over the years I've come to regard you as........ people I met."
- Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf.
Hasaparty +

Times thanked
< 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonrob View Post

What a great day on the boat. Zabiela's set was brilliant, what a DJ he is - his style is infectious. He has this amazing ability to marry various styles together and make it seem right like no other can. The first hour and last 45mins in particular were amazing.
Anyone know what that proggy tune he played just before 6:30 was? Loved that.

Overall the laundry guys did a pretty good job with the boat, sound was good, staff were friendly, my only gripe is the DJ setup. It needed to be a foot higher than the floor for Zabiela - you need to be able to see him, its part of his attraction.

Yeah we noticed that with the stage too , next time we will be using the highest raisers . , glad you enjoyed the event
ezza69 +

Times thanked
< 90
Great party!

Everything worked out perfectly.. Just the right amount of people, everyone was friendly, sound was good, bar lines were fairly quick, zabiela played a great mix of tracks. It was too bad about the cold wind on the top deck as I wanted get a bit of air and sun while having a dance but once zabiela came on it didnt matter anyways.

Looking forward to the next one paul
http://soundcloud.com/eric-thomas/
dleklas +

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah, I had fun, but doubt I'll go on a boat party run by Chinese Laundry ever again. The only saving grace was JZ really.

The staging was shit and looked like it had been decorated by a kindergarten class. I didn't see James' cheeky smile/hair flicks once because his decks were pretty much below sea level. And the sound on both stages was too bottom heavy with the top deck way too quiet (Y U NO PUT SPEAKERS AT THE STERN!!!!) and not pumping from the outset.

What was the deal all the pauses in the music too?! After the first DJ finished on the top deck they actually cut the music before the second guy started. It's not like the second guy is John Digweed coming on after Skrillex, having to start fresh. About 20-30 mins into that second set they completely cut the music, which was a total buzz kill. I walked down to the bottom floor so I could keep dancing and there wasn't even music playing there either.

I don't understand why - after all the success and key learnings of several Agwa Yacht Club parties - Chinese Laundry would produce such a sub-standard product. Not cool, and not even good enough for a first try. Just seems like they were cashing in on a fad. I'm not sure how Chinese Laundry bypassed MV Starship's [alleged] exclusivity deal with Finely Tuned, but I really wish they didn't because now I have a warped perspective of how good boat parties are. Can't wait 'til the next Agwa so my faith can be restored.

Also, a $5 discount at Laundry for boat party attendees? Cheers mate, but that's just insulting. Especially when the place is empty at 7pm. Treat your patronage with a bit of respect and teach your stupid hosts/promoters how to pronounce Zabiela for god's sake!
"Dr Dre albums are pretty much unauthorised biographies of my life." (dleklas 2009)
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 860
Come down Mondays

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

Page 3 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »