Sydney

Orbital @ The Metro, Saturday 5th May 2012

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
< 39
I've got a friend who's selling a spare ticket for $60 (a little below cost).

Call her on 0416 206 989 if interested.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.... Lord Byron
Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Times thanked
< 301
is she hot?
I'm a DJ, I push the volume up to 10
the lights are dancing in the red, I'm distorting it again
djtoki +

Times thanked
< 39
Mr Caldwell is supporting, thats who! Nice job, although its only for 1hr. A good reason to get down for doors opening.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
http://soundcloud.com/djtoki/

http://soundcloud.com/tubasco
JustinJ +

It was a good speech. Didn't want to interrupt.

Times thanked
< 3,502
How long did Orbital play last time? 1.5hrs?

Set times other than 'Orbital will be on a midnight' would be good.
MrBadger +

Times thanked
< 1
The current tour runs at around 1hr 45mins. So think Orbital will be finished around 1.45am.
Want some,need some, get some hobo loving.
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,425
Finally got my ticket, wooo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

poisontothemind +

Times thanked
< 7
The Metro said they'd been booked for a 6am close when I rang last week asking what they knew about set times and suchlike. Any chance Phil will be wanting to get on the decks after the live set?
twergy +

Times thanked
< 2
anyone got a spare ticket?
มวยไทย
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,425
There are tickets still available.

Quote:

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

twergy +

Times thanked
< 2
Oh really?

Thank you!
มวยไทย
lak attack +

I eat stickers all the time dude

Times thanked
< 1,400
Woo tonight, cant wait to see them again. Havent been out for a big night like this in a while, shall be amazing

The very few people ive met on here, hope to run into you again
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,425
That was an exceptional show!
Not as great as the first time I saw them but it did shine through with their warranted classics and surprisingly good new material.
Sound and visuals were spot on too.
Great crowd.
what was that remake of DK8 - Murder Was The Bass that I could hear? Unless I'm hearing things it sounded awfully like they had some sort of influence from this track when making theirs, apparently off the new album which I haven't heard yet though.

Quote:

TECHiONE +

Times thanked
< 75
This one Shahin?

Media Player
Orbital 10/10 "Where is it going ?" @ AB 12/04/2012 - YouTube
TECHiONE +

Times thanked
< 75
Awesome gig, not heard the Metro sound that good for a long time, loud, clear and punchy bass, visuals and lighting were fantastic, great vibe in the room. I was there mainly for the old stuff, Chime, Belfast, Halcyon etc. the new album stuff is growing on me though.
lak attack +

I eat stickers all the time dude

Times thanked
< 1,400
That was fucking fantastic. Truely awesome dudes and they slayed it. I was a lil skeptical what the sound was gonna be like and all but sounded amaze
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,425
Yes, that's the one!

Quote:

Balls Deep +

Times thanked
< 7,864
Awesome night, up for it crowd. Not a tosser in sight. I had to bail at 1.20... what time did they finish, and who played after?
It's over you BASTARDS!
JustinJ +

Times thanked
< 3,502
First time seeing them. It was fantastic.

Great crowd, wish more Sydney people were like them. I want one of those head torches!

What was that track with that massive wobbling bassline that was maybe the 4th/5th last track before the did the encore?

Last edited by JustinJ: 06-May-12 at 12:27pm

jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,882
That was so good! Wasn't too happy with the new/old track ratio, but still awesome. Haven't been to the Metro in ages, sound and lights were awesome. Heaps good crowd too.

One of the highlights

Media Player
Orbital Live @ The Metro Sydney - Impact (The Earth is Burning) - YouTube
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 216
I love the lights and all, but I really want to see a few shots of the boys working the gear

Great energy, especially good to see H1 really grooving!

The last bit, took me into full raver-mode, and it was very remniscent of Altern-8 imo.
Just curious as to the early start?
huckles +

~!

Times thanked
< 21
great night, such big fun sounds

felt the set overall was more chilled than last time.

didn't find the sound good at all, must've just been where we were at

so many smelly sweaty old geezers
nickko +

Why would I not have a nice day?

Times thanked
< 4,375
Well that was all kinds of fun...

Probably didn't enjoy the set as much as PGW, but it was still very good.
I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 854
That was AWESOME. Huge smile on my face the whole show. Didn't expect to hear a few of the older tracks which was nice, in particular Belfast and Chime.

Lighting, visuals and sound were all spot on. Sound the biggest surprise. The Metro worked really really well for this gig. Tiers making for a good view from wherever you were. Lowest tier close to the centre being where the sound was good for us.

Anyone else notice lots of people just standing there, leaning against something, motionless? Not even bobbing their head. Probably saw at least 10 people like this. My guess was pommies in K-holes.

Orbital is an act that really needs to be experienced live to be fully appreciated. Listening to their music via their albums and then seeing them play it live are two totally different things. Nearly all of the tracks played on Saturday were different in some way, with different elements and sections brought in. Made their new stuff sound even better.

I liked the old to new track ratio. One of the reasons they created the new album was so that they could keep on touring. Lots of respect for that. Recent quote from Paul - We were touring mostly until the end of 2010, and then we stopped for 2011 to basically write some new material so that we could carry on touring again. Because we enjoyed it so much, we wanted to get some new stuff done – because we didn’t want to turn into a sort of heritage act, just playing, you know, greatest hits all over the world for the rest of our days.

Think I enjoyed this gig as much as last time in Feb 2010. They are completely different sets but I had just as much fun.

So much acid on Saturday, so many melodies. Impact Straight Sun

Oh and it should be mentioned that the place was rammed. Great crowd and atmosphere.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

Last edited by Acperience 1: 07-May-12 at 10:18am

poisontothemind +

Times thanked
< 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by TECHiONE View Post

Awesome gig, not heard the Metro sound that good for a long time, loud, clear and punchy bass

Yeah, super-impressive, one of the best-sounding shows I've ever heard there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Deep View Post

Awesome night, up for it crowd. Not a tosser in sight. I had to bail at 1.20... what time did they finish, and who played after?

They finished about seventteen minutes later, and promptly turned the lights up and closed the bar. Terrible idea and throwing money away IMO; the vibe was so good that hundreds of people would have stuck around dancing and drinking for a while.
JustinJ +

Times thanked
< 3,502

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan__ View Post

That was so good! Wasn't too happy with the new/old track ratio, but still awesome. Haven't been to the Metro in ages, sound and lights were awesome. Heaps good crowd too.

One of the highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dksOfFOf6_g

What did you use to record that?
jordan__ +

Times thanked
< 1,882

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acperience 1 View Post

I liked the old to new track ratio. One of the reasons they created the new album was so that they could keep on touring. Lots of respect for that. Recent quote from Paul - We were touring mostly until the end of 2010, and then we stopped for 2011 to basically write some new material so that we could carry on touring again. Because we enjoyed it so much, we wanted to get some new stuff done – because we didn’t want to turn into a sort of heritage act, just playing, you know, greatest hits all over the world for the rest of our days.

Hadn't thought of it like that from their point of view... makes sense - guess it could get boring playing the same shit over and over. Their new stuff was still fun live just woulda preferred more old stuff

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post

What did you use to record that?

iPhone 4, not bad. Best phone for video recording I've had (especially sound quality) is EVO

What kind of stuff was Simon Caldwell playing? Was interested in what he was going to play but didn't end up making it down til just after Orbital started. I missed Halcyon
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 854
Photos looking awesome

http://www.inthemix.com.au/gallery/3...rbital/photo#1

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

baseade +

Times thanked
< 16
what is the remix of DK8 murder was the bass that was played? EPIC tune!
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,425
Hah I thought that too!
it's one of their new original tracks Techione posted it.

Quote:

baseade +

Times thanked
< 16
ah got it! Sheer geniuous!
Funky Dung +

Ice Ice Bacon

Times thanked
< 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan__ View Post

One of the highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dksOfFOf6_g

Best thing about that clip is it shows that Orbital really do play live... You can see them fuck up there (if you're a geek) - the big synth riff from Impact's supposed to kick at 0:09, and you can see Paul (on the right) throw his hands in the air when it's meant to happen, but instead the tune drops into the breakbeat. Then he fiddles around to rework it, drops it down to a single note, then brings the synth riff in. Good recovery.

I've seen them live shitloads of times and there's always plenty of reminders like this that they're actually putting the tunes together on the fly... unlike Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, etc, who fake it and play flawlessly identical sets every night.

Come back next time Orbital tour Australia for another geeky post from me.
"Now stop, collaborate and listen,
Ice is back with a pound of bacon"
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
< 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky Dung View Post

Best thing about that clip is it shows that Orbital really do play live... You can see them fuck up there (if you're a geek) - the big synth riff from Impact's supposed to kick at 0:09, and you can see Paul (on the right) throw his hands in the air when it's meant to happen, but instead the tune drops into the breakbeat. Then he fiddles around to rework it, drops it down to a single note, then brings the synth riff in. Good recovery.

I've seen them live shitloads of times and there's always plenty of reminders like this that they're actually putting the tunes together on the fly... unlike Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, etc, who fake it and play flawlessly identical sets every night.

Come back next time Orbital tour Australia for another geeky post from me.

FUNKY D!!!!!

Post more often ffs!!! Do we have to bloodywait till orbital come back????
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »