Melbourne

Eclipse Festival Cairns 2012

Tools
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432
Tickets sorted. GTs.

Iboga prog-a-thon and Benji Vaughan sorted it seems. A few nice full-on acts + the local glitch crew and I'll be content.
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439
i really, really don't want it to be some kind of Rainbow (Mark-II) with the line-up.

it's an opportunity to bring in some once-in-the-last-decade acts and since everyone has entrusted them with our money,
it is really is up to them to deliver it

(since the last eclipse in Aust. was 10 years ago...well, they'll be delivering everything but the Eclipse, which is a feat of nature and the universe and i'd hate to think that even with clear skies, that the location itself is not conducive to viewing the very Eclipse that many are forking out their annual savings for)

Artistes
Asia 2001, The Infinity Project, California Sunshine, MFG, Synchro, Astral Projection, Doof, Emmanuel Top, Man Made Man, Total Eclipse, Blue Planet Corporation, Darshan, Man With No Name, O.O.O.D., Quirk, Ubar Tmar, Youth, System 7, Prana, Joti Sidhu / Psychaos, Human Blue, Johann Bley, The Muses Rapt, Greg Hunter, Digitalis / Shakta / Somaton + more to come to mind

DJs
Sid Shanti, Tsuyoshi Suzuki, Jean Borelli, James Monro, Mark Allen, HMC, ...

LIVE
Shulman, Shpongle, Makyo, Banco de Gaia, Rabbit In The Moon, Amorphous Androgynous, Younger Brother Soundsystem, Etnica / Pleiadians, Adham Shaikh, Master Margherita, Peaking Goddess Collective, Hardfloor, Eat Static (both of them ) + more names i can't think of now

Record Labels
everyone from Dakini, everyone on Ultimae, a lot of the Twisted Records, Liquid Sound Design, Psy-Harmonics, Matsuri, Flying Rhino, POF, UP Records, everyone on Omelette, some from REGEN, ...

the Pyramid Eclipse festival (May 2012) serves as a nice inspiration for the line-up, and then add all the ol' skoolers (Hallucinogen, Makyo, Adham Shaikh, etc...)
these words fill this space
slattikarma +

Times thanked
< 147
Nice to see that this thread is focusing on the excitement and anticipation of this amazing event rather than the self-entitled winging going on facebook about ticket prices...... hippies and their cash, serious business!
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432

Quote:

Originally Posted by slattikarma View Post

Nice to see that this thread is focusing on the excitement and anticipation of this amazing event rather than the self-entitled winging going on facebook about ticket prices...... hippies and their cash, serious business!

Like I said on there... A bunch of people without a brain or ability to use a calculator. The $310 I paid (inc postage + fees) is a bargain

Now, Electrypnose 9hr set plz
Chris-tofu +

Times thanked
< 235

Quote:

Ohhh man it's annoying the crap out of me!! This event is not the usual run of the mill festival..it's a week long!!!! AND in the middle of nowhere!! I hardly doubt you can hire even half the production equipment in Cairns

Anywho also glad of the positive vibes from this threadzorzzz
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris-tofu View Post

Anywho also glad of the positive vibes from this threadzorzzz

you is the thread-master

Brisbane/Gold Coast forum still hasn't cottoned onto the Eclipse, well in thread-form.
bunch of lurkers

just goes to show that Victorians are more united (when it comes to the arts) and upbeat (friendlier than others too) in general.
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432

Quote:

Originally Posted by qoop View Post

(friendlier than others too) in general.

Never understood your viewpoint here. There's good people and fuckwits everywhere - Victoria no exception.

Oh and a big +1 to Man With No Name. Would be my #1 choice for the Eclipse set itself.
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
Sif complain about anything related to Eclipse, it's going to be an awesome party!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxi Jazz

"It's about being determined to have a good time no matter what.
You have to take your good time to the party rather than expect the party to be your good time."

Chris-tofu +

Times thanked
< 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcism View Post

Sif complain about anything related to Eclipse, it's going to be an awesome party!!

That's exactery it! A Solar Eclipse is totality amazing in itself (pun intended) let alone in conjunction with A-WEEK-LONG-PARTEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Is anybody else thinking of driving up from Melbone? I'm definitely taking the inland route as otherwise it'll take wayyy too long!
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439

Quote:

Originally Posted by MongooseFiend View Post

Never understood your viewpoint here. There's good people and fuckwits everywhere - Victoria no exception.

Victoria is not the exception, i agree, MongooseFiend.
but my experience isn't merely anecdotal or trivial.
i only have 15 VIC festivals (2004 - 2007 Earthcore, 2004 - 2012 Rainbow S, '09 '12 Maitreya & a Strawberry F) to compare with

i've met more friendlier and hospitable people outside of Sydney (Newcastle qualifies ),
where they have been more helpful through Forums (e.g. ITM) or even through other culture/language-exchange sites like Meetup, CS, HelpX, etc.

have you been around in the mid-90s to early 2000s?
it was a bit better, for music (psy, even tech.) in Sydney back then.
it's kind of dead for some time now with rare events put on by Lui_raptor and some random ones by noisychicken and some others i won't bother naming here.
T-Quest have kind of outgrown the music too.

did you see a psy or tech 'scene' in Sydney?
why do you think VIC always trumps in this festival space or even has a decent arts scene?
Subsonic is attempting to do this and doing quite well by identifying this need and positioning itself, with numbers growing very nicely over the last 3 years or so (even if it looks like typical GAP.ANALYSIS.101 )

(edit: forgot to mention the good initiatives of REGEN too)

there's a good explanation of this too in the Oscar Mulero thread in Sydney forum and it refers back to Melbournites in there too.

Quote:

Oh and a big +1 to Man With No Name. Would be my #1 choice for the Eclipse set itself.

Eclipse set itself? whoah, big call

i wouldn't mind Shpongle LIVE at that point

or some other live, multi-sensory experience...what about Jean-Michel Jarre?

he has applied for a show on November 16 in Perth, for a laser spectacular.

give him the Eclipse set

i'll bring all my Jean-Michel Jarre vinyl to get it autographed then

add Klaus Schulze too (i've got a couple of his on vinyl too)

Quote:

festival may be alright but i'm sure everyone is hoping for decent weather, ie. clear skies to view the very reason everyone is giving up so much to be there for...the ECLIPSE.
decent weather also includes no cyclones too!

Last edited by qoop: 04-Apr-12 at 03:54pm

Reason: forgot to mention REGEN's ReGrowth

qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439
in fact, i'd love to see Atom Heart at this Eclipse
but fat chance
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586

Quote:

festival may be alright but i'm sure everyone is hoping for decent weather, ie. clear skies to view the very reason everyone is giving up so much to be there for...the ECLIPSE.
decent weather also includes no cyclones too!

No point in worrying about the weather, when this is so far away

Quote:

You have to take your good time to the party rather than expect the party to be your good time."

MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432
Hoping for some goa. THere's 7 days, praying for a lot of variety. An act or two from SunTrip records would be outstanding.
psyv +

unexploring or shall we say re-exploring

Times thanked
< 132

Quote:

get onto it because it seems the 2nd round tickets (AU$ 300) will not last until Good Friday.
it will probably sell out within a day or so.

and tickets at the gate will be AU$ 500

I got them at 7:30 last night
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
Captain Hook please, missed him at Rainbow and i am still so devastated haha

Quote:

MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432

Quote:

i wouldn't mind Shpongle LIVE at that point

The first stage is explicitly referred to as the 4/4 stage, makes me think this may not happen. Part of me is a bit disappointed at that, the rest of me thinks I could happily never see them again after that week of two shows last January (including the untouchable RSF set).
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439

Quote:

The first stage is explicitly referred to as the 4/4 stage, makes me think this may not happen.

you're right about the 4/4 stage.

i just saw the section of the web-site, where it breaks down the various stages.
that site keeps updating and i don't even know about it (e.g. there is no "Last Updated: dd-mm-yyyy" stamp anywhere)

i hope there are more stages or the line-up itself will compensate for the number of stages

the Eclipse can serve as a platform to bring out all those producers/artistes from the wood-work and not just the same record labels that tour Rainbow, etc. then to me, it would be a bit 'meh'....even if it's all of Iboga,...i'm still 'meh' about it.

Quote:

Part of me is a bit disappointed at that, the rest of me thinks I could happily never see them again after that week of two shows last January (including the untouchable RSF set).

yes, MongooseFiend. i think back to those 2 shows in January 2011 and i wouldn't mind too NOT seeing them again, as i was quite satisfied with that RSF performance, which was awesome

(i'm still looking for a recording of Shpongle & Hallucinogen from RSF 2011,...and am open to any deals or swaps )

imagine bringing out Shpongle for the Eclipse.
it would instantly double ticket sales and shut all those complaining about ticket prices

(i can understand them, as tickets, transport, Leave, etc... really puts the Eclipse into a very expensive indulgence, when i can easily spend, relatively just as much and see 97% of the sun get covered up in U.S.A. in May this year ...and then go hiking through Mexico, Cuba, etc...)
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432
http://si-blog.net/2012/03/19/interv.../#comment-3225
Interview with Banel (Behind Blue Eyes)

Quote:

Furthermore we look forward to the amazing solar eclipse event in Australia in November, where we are going to bring almost the whole Iboga Crew.

Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 862
Fuck. That quote makes me cry a little knowing I can't make this event now.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
Iboga= HUGE (also = Hook)

oh gawd, im already so excited hahah

Quote:

Last edited by narcism: 05-Apr-12 at 08:34am

Chris-tofu +

Times thanked
< 235
Woo hoo! Iboga= amazing! Quite excited to see the first act announcements!
slattikarma +

Times thanked
< 147
Just to air an alternative view: no sphongle please. Imho, the most over-rated, over-hyped, overly-expensive snore-fest the doof-world has ever seen. The money can be better spent elsewhere. (And i liked their albums, but the live experience was very underwhelming for me. And mega-cheesy.)
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acperience 1 View Post

Fuck. That quote makes me cry a little knowing I can't make this event now.

Dude wtf? No way.

RE: Shpongle
I'd kinda agree that I'd want the money better spent elsewhere. But at the same time I'm expecting Posford and the legend Dick Trevor (who half confirmed it to my mate on Facebook a few weeks ago) to be there already so it's not too far fetched.

Keen for Iboga but hope it's not at the expense of artists from Iono or similar. Would hate for the festival to be a bit over-saturated with those psy influenced prog house guys (who are awesome) but missing a niche sound like the epicness of Suntree or such. The full-on stocks will be taken care of with Nano/Neurobiotic which should be OK. Zen Mechanics also a worthy contender for the Eclipse session itself.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 862

Quote:

Dude wtf? No way.

Yeah, giving the trip up. Going to be missing out on a once in a lifetime thing but making the choice to save my leave for Europe 2013 (would have to take at least 1.5 weeks for Eclipse). Hard decision but logistically Eclipse would be pretty tough - don't think I'd be up for the drive and I've done the flying thing for Strawberry Fields and it's not ideal (only being able to take a suitcase worth of things ie no chair, shade, table etc). Ah well, Subsonic and maybe SF again will have to suffice for that time of this year for me. Also, I plan to get to some of the pretty big psy / techno festivals and events whilst traveling overseas so I'm hoping to make up for this years loss.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acperience 1 View Post

Yeah, giving the trip up. Going to be missing out on a once in a lifetime thing but making the choice to save my leave for Europe 2013 (would have to take at least 1.5 weeks for Eclipse). Hard decision but logistically Eclipse would be pretty tough - don't think I'd be up for the drive and I've done the flying thing for Strawberry Fields and it's not ideal (only being able to take a suitcase worth of things ie no chair, shade, table etc). Ah well, Subsonic and maybe SF again will have to suffice for that time of this year for me. Also, I plan to get to some of the pretty big psy / techno festivals and events whilst traveling overseas so I'm hoping to make up for this years loss.

hmmm....
you can travel easily on planes, Aceperience 1.
it's just cost may become an issue.
i fly and 23-kg is totally doable (i take bag, a tent, chair); i travel quite light and have light-weight travel gear.
fly with Tiger, etc. and pay extra for luggage too.

European summer this year is the better time to go, e.g. Euro 2012, BooM, Ozora.
you won't get BooM next year (2013)...and i heard of talk about Ozora splitting into 2 different festivals this year or next (apparently the property owner wants his own Ozora or something like that)
i've heard they're 2 really great doofy festivals (BooM & OZORA) to get to and the other one being Universo Parallelo.

i've been waiting 10 years for Eclipse (missed 2002, when i was offered a lift too. missed 2006 Turkey due to study commitments. 2010 Easter Island was on the cards but exorbitant prices) and the last 5 years, at least, i've been telling everyone i meet about it and mentally preparing for it.
it is barely 7 months away now and i have a lot to get through this year but at least i know i appropriated my leave and my festivals over last few years to get me to the ones i'd want to get to (if i have to give up 1 Maitreya for Strawberry, then i probably do that)...heck, i think i am not picking Burning Man this year, because it's 'too close' to the Eclipse (some might think i'm )

but perhaps my retirement is getting close and the Eclipse might be one of the last events where i just decide to hang up the festival boots and sit on the rocking chair, on the front porch.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 862
Very logical there as always qoop. Yeah if I was able to make it overseas this year I would for sure (especially with the Euros on), just so happens that it's fallen for next year. All good though, you will have an experience you'll never forget at Eclipse 2012, and I shall be content with reading reviews, watching youtube videos, and listening to recorded sets

Quote:

slattikarma +

Times thanked
< 147
Although Burning Man looks like it has potential to be a bit iffy this year with so many of the core participants that make the event what it is unable to score tickets due to the lottery shambles....sounds like there will be way too many first timers/overseas blow ins and not enough core community that build all the structures..... that said, I may be in the States then.... so hoping that's not the case.

And Ozora, wasn't there this hubbabaloo last year about the original organizers falling out with the land-owner and ceasing their involvement with the event, and now it's just being run by an alleged greedy egotistical man? (I may have editorialized heavily... but that was the gist of what I recall...)
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432

Quote:

And Ozora, wasn't there this hubbabaloo last year about the original organizers falling out with the land-owner and ceasing their involvement with the event, and now it's just being run by an alleged greedy egotistical man?

This how I read it as I've followed it:
*Crew comes out says the are the Ozora crew, who do the whole thing, and have left because of an argument with the land owner over money and how he wants to run it to make more dough. (At least that's the insinuation.)

*Said crew also claims all the big artists have said they will follow them in to a new festival and not do Ozora.

*Ozora lineup comes out - packed with big names. (Awkward.)

*I later read something that read like a joint release (but may've just been the ongoing Ozora crew) saying that the Ozora crew has merely split and that many of the originals have left but some remain and with the land owner will continue to run it.

*"Original Ozora Crew" announced to be assisting at Glade this year just the other day.

I've read all sorts of nonsense about it, some that made it seem like the owner was a dick, others who painted him as somone who actually wants to run the festival well. All gossip though. Who really knows? My mates that went last year said it's actually a somewhat poorly run festival but is saved by awesome tunes in a unique location.
Keen to see how it goes this year while I do Boom. Will likely be back next year as well possibly more long-term.
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439

Quote:

This how I read it as I've followed it:
*Crew comes out says the are the Ozora crew,....

hehe... i like how everyone's just sitting here gossiping about other global festivals, like we're all sitting on a deserted country-town train platform, waiting for the train (destination Eclipse-ville) and talking about the weather or city-folk

imagine some other foreign forum, gossiping about Spiro or how much money some VIC festivals are making or why MELB is better than SYD (i think that happens here too )

OZORA, BooM, Universo Parallelo (303), Glade, Full Moon and a few others, are usually on the psy- followers list...and that's if you were unlucky to have missed the 7-day Samothraki or the Japanese ones around Mt. Fuji, Burning Man before the lottery-system or even the old days of Goa.

for anyone that's interested (e.g. Acperience 1)

Summer Festival Map 2012 - here
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439

Quote:

Quote:

get onto it because it seems the 2nd round tickets (AU$ 300) will not last until Good Friday.
it will probably sell out within a day or so.

and tickets at the gate will be AU$ 500

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyv View Post

I got them at 7:30 last night

1st Round -- SOLD OUT AU$ 250.00
2nd Round -- SOLD OUT AU$ 300.00
3rd Round -- AU$ 350.00
4th Round -- AU$ 400.00
psyv +

unexploring or shall we say re-exploring

Times thanked
< 132
Wow! Glad I got them when I did!
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
Tickets check
Flights check
Campervan check

BRING ON NOVEMBER!!

Quote:

Chris-tofu +

Times thanked
< 235

Quote:

Tickets check
Flights check
Campervan check

BRING ON NOVEMBER!!

My GF is trying to persuade me to fly up and hire a caravan. I still think it'd be cheaper to drive and more of an experience but time will tell!
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439
Artistes so far:
  • Avalon
  • Earthling
  • Perfect Stranger
  • Simon Baring
  • Tristan

"Collaborations Festival" (20 - 23 July 2012), is pretty much in the same area/location.
- http://www.collaborationsfestival.com/
- http://www.facebook.com/events/159371624167247/
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586

Quote:

My GF is trying to persuade me to fly up and hire a caravan. I still think it'd be cheaper to drive and more of an experience but time will tell!

I could not think of anything worse than driving home that far from a doof

Quote:

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,279
Saw RITM live once...fuck they destroyed the place...it was a sea of gaping jaws and wide-eyed deer-in-the-headlights fear across the crowd...un-fucking-real show
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432

Quote:

I could not think of anything worse than driving home that far from a doof

I've got mates who are contemplating doing it from Sydney. As long as you could have a bit of time off on the way home to have day trips at beach destinations or whatever it could be OK I guess. Melbourne surely just.too.far.

Earthling a great addition. Some of the best pumping psy that's still psychedelic. Killed it on Tribeadelic tour earlier this year.
Chris-tofu +

Times thanked
< 235
I drove from the Gold Coast to Melbourne in one hit with the odd refresher break here and there. That took 23 hours and I felt delirious by the end. Oh and that was after spending 5 days in Nimbin so would probably feel about the same after a week of partying haha.

Yeah maybe I will fly up

Can't wait for the first acts to be announced so those whining people shut the fuck up!
cookieFp +

rockin'

Times thanked
< 47
Earthling fuck yeah - wanted to see him for ages

Stranger always delivers too

Tix purchased
slattikarma +

Times thanked
< 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Saw RITM live once...fuck they destroyed the place...it was a sea of gaping jaws and wide-eyed deer-in-the-headlights fear across the crowd...un-fucking-real show

Not sure if I could handle that. I'm still getting over what Eat Static did to my poor brain during sunrise Rainbow '08....

Re that post about driving... . I drive to Woodford a lot from Melbourne and it takes 2.5 days of comfortable driving (around 6 hours of driving a day). I think it's about double to Cairns... so 5 days of driving about 6 hours a day. Would be worth it if you are taking a month off and doing a roadtrip..... if you are just winging it straight up and back, that sounds like torture to me. It's also straight up the guts.... and you go through a lot of fucking dead places.... if you take the coastal route, that would add on at least another 15 hours....
Chris-tofu +

Times thanked
< 235
Ok ok I have booked flights for my GF and myself! Gave in to the nag-fairies!

Flight leaves at 6am on the Friday which is a bit shit! But oh well it was pretty cheap and will get to check out Cairns a bit before heading up to the festival site!

Really farkin' excited!!!
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432
6am flight also means you're set to have a kip in the afternoon or on the bus there or something, ready to soak up the first night good and proper.
(Or sleep early and be up with the sun the next day and get the whole day in, if you're that way inclined at doofs.)
nortie_gess +

Times thanked
< 48

Quote:

Ok ok I have booked flights for my GF and myself! Gave in to the nag-fairies!

Flight leaves at 6am on the Friday which is a bit shit! But oh well it was pretty cheap and will get to check out Cairns a bit before heading up to the festival site!

Really farkin' excited!!!

With Jetstar? We are on that flight too, there is about 10 of us!!
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439
*This is your Captain (Hook) speaking. Welcome abroad Flight ECLPS2012....*

i think we're all flying in around the same time and will probably be sitting next to each other, high-fiving and sharing the same elbow-space on those small arm-rests.

Cairns airport will be filled with so many dreadlocky, doofy, phat-/fisherman- pants wearin' hip- pies/sters, around that time.

only about 7 months left now...and really curious about that line-up, which is supposedly getting announced before the end of April (ie. within the next 2 weeks).

but so far, nothing Eclipse-worthy

Artistes so far:
  • Avalon
  • Earthling
  • Gaudi
  • Perfect Stranger
  • Simon Baring
  • Tristan
Chris-tofu +

Times thanked
< 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by nortie_gess View Post

With Jetstar? We are on that flight too, there is about 10 of us!!

Haha nice one. It was the only cheap flight the day before hand that arrived at a reasonable hour! I am not even sure if i'm going to bother sleeping all that much! Will have to leave to go to the airport around 4am anywho :O :O
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586

Quote:

Haha nice one. It was the only cheap flight the day before hand that arrived at a reasonable hour! I am not even sure if i'm going to bother sleeping all that much! Will have to leave to go to the airport around 4am anywho :O :O

On that flight as well

Quote:

nortie_gess +

Times thanked
< 48
Doofers taking over Jetstar bitches!

Now the epic wait begins, lucky I have burning man to give me some inspiration before then!
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439
200 days left...

Artistes so far:
  • Antix
  • Atmos
  • Avalon
  • Behind Blue Eyes
  • Deedrah
  • Dick Trevor
  • DJ Banel
  • DJ Emok
  • Earthling
  • Gaudi
  • Perfect Stranger
  • Phony Orphants
  • Simon Baring
  • Tristan
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
< 432
I think Burn in Noise is booked too.

EDIT: Therefore, Circuit Breakers set on the cards.
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,439

Quote:

I think Burn in Noise is booked too.

depends on which Eclipse festival you're talking about

- http://eclipsefestival.com/wordpress...burn-in-noise/

« Previous Thread Next Thread »