on a good day...

Times thanked
< 254
I thought Melbourne was meant to be the 'state' of trance
Sydney are getting:

Cosmic Gate and Kandi same gig
Dennis Shepherd and Menno De Jong on the same night at some shit club

Jorn van Deynhoven has confirmed a tour

And Genesis have announced a night with 5 trance internationals.

WTF melbourne?

Flippy...book Dennis Shepherd please. He confirmed there's no Melbourne date.
IHAVENEWLEGS +

Times thanked
< 5,418
Why don't you do it
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
< 3,178
Instead of whining be pro active
antis +

automated user

Times thanked
< 37
isnt victoria the garden state?

- Automation -
Rogan Josh +

Lizards in my telly.

Times thanked
< 2,605
Jorn van Deynhoven?

Is there an online Euro-trance DJ name generator?
pemoo +

Times thanked
< 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by antis View Post

isnt victoria the garden state?

'The Place To Be' (that is if you like gardens..)
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
< 539
Meh, Melbourne's more the 'state' of prog and techno.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby View Post

Needs more Prog imo.

My SoundCloud
Fluidlife +

EASTER WEEKENDER!

Times thanked
< 167
Matt - Sydney is twice the size of Melbourne and Melbourne still leads the game in good music. There's much more cash in Sydney than Melbourne. Also diaries may not matchup.

Also... I know you love your trance music, like many others. It's about as popular as dubstep these days (correct me if i'm wrong??). I'm not taking the piss - it really is a 2nd rate musical genre these days - nothing like the 90's trance (fckng awesome - Van Dyk, Oakenfold all the cream UK residents). House music is where it's at these days. House music (the broad term for all sub genre's including trance). House consistently makes a forceful return to the market every few years whilst some sub genre's fall of the edge of the planet like Minimal, electro, ****step whatever(thank fuck).

And like a point was made earlier - if you want them, put your balls on the lne & book them instead of having a whings about something not worth whinging about - totally not valid and very fucking annoying.

written as constructive critisism and from an individual point of view before you get your back up.

Have a good Easter.
fluidlife

Website / Fluidlife FB
Souncloud

fluidlife:only // http://www.fluidlifeonly.tumblr.com
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
< 1,209
Melbourne is a city, not a state
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
< 539

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluidlife View Post

Matt - Sydney is twice the size of Melbourne and Melbourne still leads the game in good music. There's much more cash in Sydney than Melbourne. Also diaries may not matchup.

Also... I know you love your trance music, like many others. It's about as popular as dubstep these days (correct me if i'm wrong??). I'm not taking the piss - it really is a 2nd rate musical genre these days - nothing like the 90's trance (fckng awesome - Van Dyk, Oakenfold all the cream UK residents). House music is where it's at these days. House music (the broad term for all sub genre's including trance). House consistently makes a forceful return to the market every few years whilst some sub genre's fall of the edge of the planet like Minimal, electro, ****step whatever(thank fuck).

And like a point was made earlier - if you want them, put your balls on the lne & book them instead of having a whings about something not worth whinging about - totally not valid and very fucking annoying.

written as constructive critisism and from an individual point of view before you get your back up.

Have a good Easter.

Sydney twice the size of Melbourne? It's more like only a couple hundred thousand more population than Melbourne nowadays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby View Post

Needs more Prog imo.

My SoundCloud

Last edited by Onijin: 07-Apr-12 at 06:49pm

THEHEATH +

ACCESS DENIED.

Times thanked
< 1,133

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer View Post

Instead of whining be pro active

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

I am epileptic, so making fun of other people with epilepsy isn't making fun of people less fortunate.

Also, despite my epilepsy, I daresay I'm more fortunate than you, you condescending prick.

Simon_Murphy +

H@cked.

Times thanked
< 1,816
We claim techno. That's enough for me.
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
Menno is booked for a melb gig at room
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 85
I'm with you. Would love some more trance and after the awesomeness of Cosmic Gate the other night it made me want more nights like that. And Festival Hall was a sellout, which proves there is enough support for it out there in Melbourne. Unfortunately these days it's more the Festivals that they all come for... and if that is the case we need more festival sideshow gigs. Why do Sydney seem to get those moreso than us?

Yeah I was going to say that Menno is at Room on Saturday 26th of May. I noticed on his facebook page it says 7pm... surely that is wrong? Hoping he's on later in the night as I have a 21st I've already said I'm going too that night and if he's after at least like 10pm I can juggle both!
MJay1993 +

Times thanked
< 34
I'm just gonna echo what other people here have said before me; if you seriously think that Melbourne can easily do better Matty (and from the looks of things, you seem pretty passionate), quit your day-job, start up your own new promotion company and start booking all these acts that you desperately want to come to Melbourne. Not meaning to sound harsh at all. I mean, I (like many other trance-loving peeps) would always want all the acts who tour here in Oz to come to Melbourne, but sometimes that's just not logistically possible (ie. costs, diary of the DJ, venues etc.), and I acknowledge that. You just got to realise that getting these events in the pipeworks/running them isn't that terribly easy to do, and not as easy to do as what the event companies make them look like. IMO we are better off in comparison to most cities (if anything, Sydney may only trump us just slightly in volume of acts they get), and we do get most of the names anyways, so if you really are that concerned, fork out the money for a trip interstate to go catch them at the club gig in Sydney.

And anyways, I have spoken to Jedstur a bit just recently about a few nights that he/other companies are organising for the future and acts they're looking at/got (obviously won't go into specifics at all, otherwise that'd ruin the whole surprise!!), there's some exciting stuff that's coming up this year, you seriously don't need to panic at all!

/endrant
dthomas22 +

ohh its..

Times thanked
< 36
melbourne needs more guy j
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586

Quote:

Originally Posted by dthomas22 View Post

melbourne needs more reaky

fixed
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 85
You better be right Mjay about the upcoming acts... I'm gonna hold your word for it! :p
MJay1993 +

Times thanked
< 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisdude View Post

You better be right Mjay about the upcoming acts... I'm gonna hold your word for it! :p

Haha Chris, if anything, it's Jed's words that need to be held!!
But there's one name in particular that I'm hanging out for, hopefully his mate can secure him for a gig down here
pumbz +

Times thanked
< 28
sydney scene is much better IMO, asot 500 was the best, next to armin only 08 in melb, in my lifetime anyway
beautsten +

Times thanked
< 12
jesus christ stop moaning you washed up IT direct telephone sales worker with a blonde tipped fringe, one of thiose tube earrrings and some flared ripped jeans.
trance is wacxk
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
< 214
meh.
Julesplees/PlasticMusic Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/user38450
flippy +

rushproductions.com.au / facebook.com/djjed

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattpolo8 View Post

Sydney are getting:

Cosmic Gate and Kandi same gig
Dennis Shepherd and Menno De Jong on the same night at some shit club

Jorn van Deynhoven has confirmed a tour

And Genesis have announced a night with 5 trance internationals.

WTF melbourne?

Flippy...book Dennis Shepherd please. He confirmed there's no Melbourne date.

There's a lot going on around Melbs when he's about I believe, hence why there's probably no show for him in Melbs!

It's a shame, but the scene is being a bit fractured lately which creates gaps and thats why these things happen I guess! Some crews have brought out some amazing acts in recent times and they've been left playing to bar staff. The clubbers of Melbs can be a picky bunch and a lot usually save themselves for the bigger events & festivals.

We'll have to wait and see how this 'state of trance' goes this year I guess, but based on what I'm hearing there's going to be some great things happening near the end of the year already!
RUSH PRODUCTIONS: HOUSE|PROG|TECH|TRANCE
Rush Radio - Podcast via iTunes or Podbean

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION
17/05_SUPER8 & TAB and BEN NICKY

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 85
That sounds awesome but end of the year?? There's enough festivals at the start and end of the year...we need some gigs in the dry season (aka between Creamfields and Stereosonic May-Nov.).
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

That sounds awesome but end of the year?? There's enough festivals at the start and end of the year...we need some gigs in the dry season (aka between Creamfields and Stereosonic May-Nov.).

Not to say that there isn't stuff in the middle there either

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION

lollipopaddict +

Times thanked
< 0
Bryan Kearney said Melbourne was by far the best night he played in Australia. End of.

Plus, hats off to all promoters over here..... Being a Pom and knowing people and having friends who run some of the biggest club nights in good ol' Blighty and barely break even despite thousands and thousands of people turning up to their nights, month in and month out (and back in the day week in and week out) I completely respect the effort and passion you put in.

Good on yer x

Last edited by lollipopaddict: 13-Apr-12 at 09:01pm

Reason: Respect added

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 85
I noticed 'Armada Nights' is back at Trak on Sunday 10 June (queens bday weekend) with Myon and Shane54, Tydi, Tenishia and Alex M.O.R.PH. pretty awesome.
antis +

automated user

Times thanked
< 37
elton john digs it in the shower
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/ent...o-dance-music/

- Automation -
narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
hahah look out next track will be david guetta feat elton john

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxi Jazz

"It's about being determined to have a good time no matter what.
You have to take your good time to the party rather than expect the party to be your good time."

MJay1993 +

Times thanked
< 34
Great find Chris (Y)
So keen! Hopefully there's no guestlist bs restricting people from going
mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
< 254
pass. only one i'd be going for is M+S54. Alex Morph has been rubbish everytime he's been out and tyDi is rubbish in general.
mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
< 254
apparently Sean Tyas and W&W with Emma Hewitt at Trak on May 11
informed +

ITM Trance Ho

Times thanked
< 34
Or you can wait for some real trance (joof) in a few months.

Do you guys still get any genuine enjoyment out of the generic stuff which is being constantly released by these acts? not taking the piss, just curious as personally i can hardly tolerate it anymore after having loved it for well over a decade
mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
< 254
i like alot of new stuff the likes of omnia is bringing out. wezz devall is awesome as well. there are still some awesome stuff out there if you dig hard enough. but theres alot of generic bullshit.
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 85
New stuff is good, it's the music I like. All music and styles change with time whatever genre it is. If you have outgrown it then so be it.. but personally this is the style of music I like and listen too.

Is that Sean Tyas, W&W and Emma Hewitt date confirmed? On the Trak website for that date it lists something else and there was something almost identical to that event around the same time last year if I'm not mistaken? Hpoe it's happening as would love to see Emma live again and if W&W are good at Creamfields will be wanting to see them again!
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattpolo8 View Post

apparently Sean Tyas and W&W with Emma Hewitt at Trak on May 11

Quote:

Is that Sean Tyas, W&W and Emma Hewitt date confirmed?

Nah that was last years Armada Night guys

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 85
Yeah that's what I thought, sounded identical.
mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
< 254
my bad. well, someone elses bad.
Acid_Eiffel +

Times thanked
< 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by lollipopaddict View Post

Bryan Kearney said Melbourne was by far the best night he played in Australia. End of.

Plus, hats off to all promoters over here..... Being a Pom and knowing people and having friends who run some of the biggest club nights in good ol' Blighty and barely break even despite thousands and thousands of people turning up to their nights, month in and month out (and back in the day week in and week out) I completely respect the effort and passion you put in.

Good on yer x

You're cool. Epic story.
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 85
Someone get Dash Berlin to Melbourne ASAP. New album #Music Is Life is totally awesome.
Matt Dawson +

Is so pumped for Above & Beyond, but one step at a time bring on Sash!

Times thanked
< 15
Armada Nights in June as already pointed out. I'm sure some of the smaller crews will bring out some good acts in the middle of the year. Then there's Gods in October, then Stereo, then we start again.

It's really not that bad mate. Problem arises when not enough people support the smaller club nights that smaller crews work so hard to put together and then they complain about not enough acts being brought down.

We went through an interesting phase for about 2 years (I think 09-11, please correct me if I'm wrong here Jed or Jolz or Joey), where there was almost too much on and the trance market got saturated with smaller gigs going on every 2-3 weeks, sometimes 2 in one week. People just got over-stimulated, some couldn't do it all, and some just decided to get picky and only hit up the people they really wanted to see (like myself) as we were spoilt for choice.

I totally respect our smaller crews like Rush, Sunset and Onside for bringing out some smaller trance acts time and time again. Sometimes I can make it, sometimes I don't want to, but such is the mind set of many trance fans. It takes a lot of work and effort to make it worthwhile for these guys to do what they do and to be able to bring out artists that aren't as big as Armin, PvD, Ferry, Tiesto - artists like Alex M.O.R.P.H., Tenisha, Tritonal, Sied van Riel, Sean Tyas, Simon Patterson, Daniel Kandi etc. I would love to see lots of smaller trance acts come to Melbourne, but the reality is that the big names pull the numbers, and some acts whether we like them or not pull bigger numbers than others (such as Gareth Emery becoming more mainstream, which is great for many of us) and as such the bigger promoters will keep booking the acts that draw the big crowds. That's what it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwiseb

How the fuck do you have a pool full of bikini clad women Dawson? If it's the Trance, consider me converted.

Torsten +

That Pommy ****

Times thanked
< 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by informed View Post

Or you can wait for some real trance (joof) in a few months.

Do you guys still get any genuine enjoyment out of the generic stuff which is being constantly released by these acts? not taking the piss, just curious as personally i can hardly tolerate it anymore after having loved it for well over a decade

Sounds promising! Care to elaborate?!
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Dawson View Post

Armada Nights in June as already pointed out. I'm sure some of the smaller crews will bring out some good acts in the middle of the year. Then there's Gods in October, then Stereo, then we start again.

It's really not that bad mate. Problem arises when not enough people support the smaller club nights that smaller crews work so hard to put together and then they complain about not enough acts being brought down.

We went through an interesting phase for about 2 years (I think 09-11, please correct me if I'm wrong here Jed or Jolz or Joey), where there was almost too much on and the trance market got saturated with smaller gigs going on every 2-3 weeks, sometimes 2 in one week. People just got over-stimulated, some couldn't do it all, and some just decided to get picky and only hit up the people they really wanted to see (like myself) as we were spoilt for choice.

I totally respect our smaller crews like Rush, Sunset and Onside for bringing out some smaller trance acts time and time again. Sometimes I can make it, sometimes I don't want to, but such is the mind set of many trance fans. It takes a lot of work and effort to make it worthwhile for these guys to do what they do and to be able to bring out artists that aren't as big as Armin, PvD, Ferry, Tiesto - artists like Alex M.O.R.P.H., Tenisha, Tritonal, Sied van Riel, Sean Tyas, Simon Patterson, Daniel Kandi etc. I would love to see lots of smaller trance acts come to Melbourne, but the reality is that the big names pull the numbers, and some acts whether we like them or not pull bigger numbers than others (such as Gareth Emery becoming more mainstream, which is great for many of us) and as such the bigger promoters will keep booking the acts that draw the big crowds. That's what it is.

Well put Dawso

It can be a shame but in terms of hitting those far reached punters out there who either dont know who's playing/don't really care - they just want a good night out - the popularity entity behind a bigger name DJ can sometimes be all it takes to get non-trance addicts to come along to events. They hear via word of mouth that [INSERT BIGNAME DJ HERE] is "totally worth it" from their friends who's opinion they trust, and thats enough to buy a ticket. They'll go, feed off the excitement of their trance-head friends, get drunk, have a dance and generally have a wicked night out.

Truth behind it is that most DJ's that are being toured by educated promoters/organisers who have been in the scene for X amount of years, learning whats good and whats not from the ground up, are almost certainly going to be good enough to warrant paying the ticket price for Only difference is, with the lesser known DJ's the ticket price usually matches and is WAY more affordable!

The DJ doesn't have to be blindly popular or high in the DJ Mag Top 100 for them to give you a rocking set that you'll ooze over

But rest assured, DJ's with XXXX followers on Facebook/Twitter or not, a lot of the smaller crews have their ear to the ground and are definitely knowledgable in which act will blow minds so I'd be supporting all parts of the scene, as you mentioned Matty There's plenty of wickedness on the horizon from all of the smaller crews around town!

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION

Last edited by flippy: 07-May-12 at 12:06pm

narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
Someone book Leon fucking Bolier!

Quote:

You have to take your good time to the party rather than expect the party to be your good time."

puretrance89 +

Times thanked
< 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by flippy View Post

Well put Dawso

Only difference is, with the lesser known DJ's the ticket price usually matches and is WAY more affordable!

The DJ doesn't have to be blindly popular or high in the DJ Mag Top 100 for them to give you a rocking set that you'll ooze over

And the atmosphere is usually better too. I love it when you are part of a crowd that feels like a big family, all rocking out to a dj who afterwards has a drink with everyone.
Matt Dawson +

Is so pumped for Above & Beyond, but one step at a time bring on Sash!

Times thanked
< 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcism View Post

Someone book Leon fucking Bolier!

I'd love to see a night with Sied, Leon, Alex M.O.R.P.H. and Woody van Eyden just for the awesome that it would bring!!! The tunes would be great, but would be secondary to the behind the decks shenanigans

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwiseb

How the fuck do you have a pool full of bikini clad women Dawson? If it's the Trance, consider me converted.

narcism +

faithless fangirl

Times thanked
< 586
Well it's only Woody who would provide the lulz

Quote:

flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

And the atmosphere is usually better too. I love it when you are part of a crowd that feels like a big family, all rocking out to a dj who afterwards has a drink with everyone.

THIS.

Best feeling being surrounded by familar faces rocking out and loving the living crap out of what's playing! Some of the best atmosphere's I've ever been in has been at the smaller club shows.

Shame is, that with a EDM scene that (as Dawso put) was really saturated a few years ago, punters started being picky about what to attend because their wallets were hurting from so many events. That lead to lackluster numbers at a lot of events for a while there and now the festivals are the most cost effective to be at because for your $100-150 you get to see the potential of 50+ DJ's (where-as in reality you'll only have time to logically see about 10-15 of those and will honestly only end up seeing about 5-10) so why attend a club event and see 1-4 DJ's for $40?

A. Because madt club events can rock harder and with better atmosphere than a lot of festivals, thats why

No hating on festivals here, I've had some blasts at recent ones and they can be a heap of fun, but I spend a lot of my time at the one stage at festival events so why bother spending $100-150 to see 4 or so internationals when I can spend $40 to see the same amount in a club?

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION

Last edited by flippy: 09-May-12 at 10:28am

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
< 85
Yeah I know what you mean Flippy. Creamfields for example felt like I was in a club all day, because I spent it (with the exception of A&B) at the one stage. Although I generally have no issue paying that at a festival because you have such a greater selection of artists, and generally bigger artists. A club gig is usually one main attraction with some lesser know or relevent support acts. Creamfields for me was 8 hours of awesomeness non-stop artists that I wanted to see so worth every penny. I'm impressed with Armada nights - 4 good artists for $40. Yes please!! Club gig's and fesitvals definitely have very different vibes and I like both for different reasons so it's good to get a good variety of both on the cards.

Agree that too many events can saturate it, but I like having something to look forward too every couple of months or so. At least the gap hasn't been too big between Future, Creamfields and now I'm hanging for Armada night. Need something good in July/August though to get excited about
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

Yeah I know what you mean Flippy. Creamfields for example felt like I was in a club all day, because I spent it (with the exception of A&B) at the one stage. Although I generally have no issue paying that at a festival because you have such a greater selection of artists, and generally bigger artists. A club gig is usually one main attraction with some lesser know or relevent support acts. Creamfields for me was 8 hours of awesomeness non-stop artists that I wanted to see so worth every penny. I'm impressed with Armada nights - 4 good artists for $40. Yes please!! Club gig's and fesitvals definitely have very different vibes and I like both for different reasons so it's good to get a good variety of both on the cards.

Agree that too many events can saturate it, but I like having something to look forward too every couple of months or so. At least the gap hasn't been too big between Future, Creamfields and now I'm hanging for Armada night. Need something good in July/August though to get excited about

Yeah the smaller/club scene has eased up a bit as of 2012, probably mainly because the preceding years were hurt by the saturation, so you're seeing mainly only the core crews put stuff on now: Sunset, KRBDE, Rush, Majik...

As long as there's still that much more affordable option available, you'll always have something to look forward to every month or two

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION

Page 1 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »