Melbourne

smalltown presents An Evening with Derrick May. Fri 4th May. Brown Alley

All About:

All About

+Follow

Add Follows

Stay informed about your favourite artists and events. We'll email you whenever there is new events, news or content posted about your favourite things. Simply select those you want to be notified about View my Follows |  Follow Settings

• Brown Alley
  • Derrick May
  • Dave Pham
  • Virginia Le
  • Louis McCoy
Cancel Finish

Description:

smalltown presents An Evening with Derrick May hosted by Dave Pham featuring an exclusive in depth Q&A session followed by an extended performance..

Tickets on sale via wearenovel.com.au..

Following the first performance at smalltown on Anzac Eve Tuesday 24th April, Novel...

Page 1 of 3
  Tools
danjuan +

Times thanked
< 94
smalltown presents An Evening with Derrick May. Fri 4th May. Brown Alley

smalltown presents An Evening with Derrick May hosted by Dave Pham featuring an exclusive in depth Q&A session followed by an extended performance..

Tickets on sale via wearenovel.com.au..

Following the first performance at smalltown on Anzac Eve Tuesday 24th April, Novel announces a second show for Godfather of techno and electronic music pioneer DERRICK MAY on Friday May 4th at Brown Alley.

This is no ordinary show. Not only does it feature an EXTRAordinary DJ, but it offers an enlightening element. Hosted by Melbourne’s own techno wizard, DAVE PHAM, music industry and fans are invited to participate in a 1 hour special Q & A session featuring the guest of honour, DERRICK MAY.

Recognized as one of the “founders of the techno movement”, dance veteran MAY is no stranger to the spotlight, and has famously been given the honour to lecture at the esteemed Red Bull Music Academy in the past (http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/people/derrick-may). Such an appearance cements his position as one of the forerunners of dance music and underscores the significance of this event slated to hit Melbourne next month.

The event proceedings will include a phenomenal performance by MAY immediately following the Q & A. As only true legends of musical folklore would command, MAY’s showcase is confirmed to be an extended DJ set. New and old fans will be glued to the floor for hours, getting their wiggle on with hands in the air, right through the night as they witness in awe the master at the helm.

Don’t miss the opportunity to experience DERRICK MAY as he imparts his wealth of knowledge and passion of techno, and to witness the legend put his words into action with his extended DJ set that will create one of the most memorable nights in Melbourne on record

http://www.inthemix.com.au/whatson/m...th_derrick_may

wearenovel.com.au
facebook.com/weareNovel
facebook.com/letthemeatcakenyd
facebook.com/summerseries
facebook.com/strangerthantechno
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
< 1,433
Boom.

Upcoming Works:
5 Apr - Tessela + Kowton, Lounge
13-14 Apr - Pleasure Planet 24hr 1st Bday, Lounge
9 May - Capacity 300: Inigo Kennedy

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,147
Sick...twice in such a short space plus interview session!?!? Gutted will be in Sydney that weekend
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 809
Melbourne wins. Looks like a great event

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

deCipal +

Times thanked
< 40
This is going to be amazing.. Cant wait for the Q&A with Pahm
UPCOMING GIGS
FEB 28: REDSQR Presents REDSHAPE @ ROYAL MELB HOTEL (RMH)
APR 18: BEST OF BOTH SIDES (MTC) @ LUCKY COQ

FACEBOOK - Bookings / Profile
SOUNDCLOUD - Music
nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
< 77
Will be hitting this. So happy, I couldn't make it to the Anzac day eve gig.
beautsten +

Times thanked
< 12
can u take pills wen derrick is talking?
nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
< 77
Only if you share them with everyone
JamRock +

Haus-Boat cruise with Ian Pooley - Good Friday! :)

Times thanked
< 218
Derrick was firing on all cylinders in Adelaide on Friday night - ticket purchase highly recommended!
>>> FUNKAGENDA >> TECHPHONICS > FRI 24 JAN > MR KIM'S

> Playing tech tunes every Tuesday, 6pm-8pm (Adelaide time) on www.soundpond.net
thesilicongod +

Times thanked
< 0
i have a spare ticket for tuesday night because i can't make it. $40. legit. PM please.
cybernaut +

Awakenings festival 2011 Highlight of the year..

Times thanked
< 2
Shoud be awesome does any one know which room they wil lbe using?

see ya there DeCipal...lets listen and rock to some proper music and mixing unlike that "other" nite we wont mention....

Mr May was unreal with Kevin saunderson when i saw him at Awake fest Amsterdam last year...just incredible....

but nothing will top the memory of Land of the Giants 96 Global Village with Stacey Pullen...OMFG

im getting old....
deCipal +

Times thanked
< 40
^For sure mate, will see you front and center!
UPCOMING GIGS
FEB 28: REDSQR Presents REDSHAPE @ ROYAL MELB HOTEL (RMH)
APR 18: BEST OF BOTH SIDES (MTC) @ LUCKY COQ

FACEBOOK - Bookings / Profile
SOUNDCLOUD - Music
Bob Seiji +

Times thanked
< 12
Derrick was on fire yesterday in Melbourne. I havent seen that PERFECT DJing in while. He is the King. I will surly go to this show as well.
Dave Pham +

Times thanked
< 52
Derrick was out of control last Tuesday night, really can't wait to see what he pulls out of his crate for the show this Friday.

Been working hard at developing some questions for the great man. I think I've got some good ones, for those thinking of attending I will utilize the last 15-20mins of the Q&A and divert to our audience to give all an opportunity to ask Derrick any questions.

Also hit me up on PM if you would like a question put forward but won't be able to attend the Q&A.

This is a rare opportunity to get to know the man who's music and vision influenced and moved so many.

Beyond excited and rather nervous...
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 258
Interviews with May tend toward repetitive rants about Detroit, potshots at the pseudo underground and the chip on shoulder/frustration at what he feels is a lack of recognition (I don't know if it is caused by May or interviewer).

May is a wealth of music knowledge and this is where I'd try to steer the Q&A session. I'd try not to mention to "D-word" at all.

I'd love to hear him talk about the things he loves rather than the things that piss him off. This is the untold story.
Afterall, he has been DJing for about the length of our lives and doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

I also wonder what, if anything excites him, what is left for him to discover and who/what he respects in contemporary "techno".
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 30-Apr-12 at 03:00pm

informed +

ITM Trance Ho

Times thanked
< 34
May have 2 tickets for sale for this fri night. Happy to take $70 for the pair ( normally $80)
cybernaut +

Times thanked
< 2
Your rock dave....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Pham View Post

Derrick was out of control last Tuesday night, really can't wait to see what he pulls out of his crate for the show this Friday.

Been working hard at developing some questions for the great man. I think I've got some good ones, for those thinking of attending I will utilize the last 15-20mins of the Q&A and divert to our audience to give all an opportunity to ask Derrick any questions.

Also hit me up on PM if you would like a question put forward but won't be able to attend the Q&A.

This is a rare opportunity to get to know the man who's music and vision influenced and moved so many.

Beyond excited and rather nervous...

this is going to be off the planet for sure.....

How long is he playing for?

It says on my ticket that it starts at 9pm is this so?

Dave can you please ask him where in the world he loves playing the most? where is it at?

And if he is going to tour here with Kevin Saunderson...saw them at Awakenings Festival 2011 it was unreal with turntables, synth and drum machines....

see yaz all there
Dave Pham +

Times thanked
< 52
Thanks for your input so far guys, those topics are definitely covered.

Derrick will play an extended set around 4-5 hours. The Q&A will start at 9pm.
jottster +

Times thanked
< 11
towards the end of this clip taken from the most excellent documentary Hi Tech Soul, derrick's response had me in stitches!

Media Player
Hi Tech Soul - The Creation Of Techno Music (Part 5 of 9) - YouTube

would love to be there to hear what questions you come up with dave,,, you and derrick,, what a match-up!

godspeed.
www.soundofthought.net
Sound of Thought on Soundcloud

Sound of Thought 02 | Unfettered & Benji
Unfettered - Umalicious Café, Strawberry Fields at The Barmah Forest
wahboy +

Times thanked
< 91
will there be tickets on the door?
danjuan +

Times thanked
< 94
There will be tickets available on the door.

wearenovel.com.au
facebook.com/weareNovel
facebook.com/letthemeatcakenyd
facebook.com/summerseries
facebook.com/strangerthantechno
stable +

Is about CAPACITY

Times thanked
< 89
Looking forward to this!
CAPACITY 600
JEROME SYDENHAM [PLANET E, IBADAN, CLR]
HOWLER - EASTER SUNDAY

CAPACITY 300
INIGO KENNEDY [TOKEN, AYSEMTRIK]
THE MERCAT - FRIDAY 9TH MAY

Music News and Audio adventures...
http://www.stablemusic.com.au
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 1,924
Have to say, the Q&A session is a brilliant idea. Would like to see this concept happen again with other luminaries (ie Jeff Mills, Ben Sims, Regis etc etc)
Dave Pham +

Times thanked
< 52
Thanks for posting that clip Scotty, absolute gold!

Hurry up and come back will ya!!! We miss you mate.

Suggestions have been fantastic, I have too many questions now, will def run out of time...
Bob Seiji +

Times thanked
< 12
Look forward to see Q&A since i missed his Redbull Music Academy Session at Metamorphosis in Japan a few years ago. I so regret i didnt go for that session while i was at the festival. I was too busy thinking about X102 live.

Also, is Derrick playing in upstairs or downstairs?......hope its upstairs though.....
informed +

ITM Trance Ho

Times thanked
< 34
got 2 tickets for sale. $50 for the pair. pm me.

Last edited by informed: 02-May-12 at 02:55pm

cybernaut +

Times thanked
< 2
which room is Derrick playing in Dave?

That video is purely awesome....that answer to the question was fuken hillarious...

see yaz on the floor....
Mike Hunt +

Times thanked
< 240

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybernaut View Post

this is going to be off the planet for sure.....

And if he is going to tour here with Kevin Saunderson...saw them at Awakenings Festival 2011 it was unreal with turntables, synth and drum machines....

He did that last year in Melbourne matey at Creamfields and it was fucking awesome
check out mike hunts weblog

http://mikehunts.wordpress.com

New mixes available for download
nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
< 77
^Still pissed off for missing that gig...
__Milko__ +

R O T H Newwwwtonnnn

Times thanked
< 1,525

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik View Post

Have to say, the Q&A session is a brilliant idea. Would like to see this concept happen again with other luminaries (ie Jeff Mills, Ben Sims, Regis etc etc)

no idea what you're talking about but it made me just imagine the Ray Martin Show with Dame Edna & Frankie Knuckles on together and i actually lol'd.
Mike Hunt +

Times thanked
< 240
It was pretty fucking sweet! Sandwell District, Umek and Saunderson and May!

World class shit right there!
check out mike hunts weblog

http://mikehunts.wordpress.com

New mixes available for download
cybernaut +

Times thanked
< 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post

It was pretty fucking sweet! Sandwell District, Umek and Saunderson and May!

World class shit right there!

Damn straight champ...well gutted I missed this, Umek and Hi tek soul were the highlights of Europe....

Hope to see ya there.....

http://www.mixcloud.com/TechnoLiveSe...nds-25-06-201/

Derrick May @ We Love Ibiza - Sundays ( techno_ house ) - DanceTrippin TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEzEKgWoUzw
informed +

ITM Trance Ho

Times thanked
< 34
2 tickets for sale..$40 for the pair
dteknoa +

Times thanked
< 0
i'll take them imformed
in the city

if you still have them

Last edited by dteknoa: 03-May-12 at 07:04pm

Reason: update

ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
< 1,433
It's May day!

Upcoming Works:
5 Apr - Tessela + Kowton, Lounge
13-14 Apr - Pleasure Planet 24hr 1st Bday, Lounge
9 May - Capacity 300: Inigo Kennedy

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,651
ooh yeah, really looking forward to this
cybernaut +

Times thanked
< 2
Gonna be huge just hope i will be able to get there before his interview starts....see yaz on the floor
Bob Seiji +

Times thanked
< 12
I just came back from B.A for a short break (i live in city) but for god sake, the sound at B.A is really bad. My ears really hurts. New Guernica was much better. Honestly, why is it so rocket science to install Function 1? All we need is just one venue with Function 1 and eventually people will come for the venue because of the quality of the sound.
theadrianclub +

Times thanked
< 39
The mercat has a very nice f1 system installed but it's a bit too small for something like Derrick May
cybernaut +

Times thanked
< 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Seiji View Post

I just came back from B.A for a short break (i live in city) but for god sake, the sound at B.A is really bad. My ears really hurts. New Guernica was much better. Honestly, why is it so rocket science to install Function 1? All we need is just one venue with Function 1 and eventually people will come for the venue because of the quality of the sound.

Funktion 1 is da bomb.....

agreed very washy not punchy......i was pissed of he started so late....was it 1 a.m.? I know its not "that" late but it was advertised he would start straight after interview......I left at 3.45 just too tired and cold....Im getting old...hehehehhe

what time did he finish? great set though and it was awesome to hear Dave Pham again before Derrick...

Have too say the interview with mr may was really good and insightful.....Top bloke and a great sense of humour....

true techno stalwart....and still rocking it at 49...mad respect...

thanx Dave and Derrick

Last edited by cybernaut: 08-May-12 at 06:28pm

MARK13 +

Times thanked
< 4
Reasons I hate BA #346,#347.
#346. Once again, the sound in that upstairs room was rubbish when May took to the decks. Same thing happened in same room with Theo Parrish at D25 party. In the words of Ian Brown; amateurs. This is just not good enough for a venue that hosts artists of this calibre.
#347 “One Stella and one vodka Red Bull thanks mate.” “Yeah That will be...$26.50....” WTF?
Lucky my mate didn’t want Grey Goose..
Smells like apple pie...
cybernaut +

Times thanked
< 2
Yeah shouldn't be allowed they can get one (funktion 1) in for the night (Ishtar Sound System)

what time did he start and finish? please people tell me...drinks too expensive for sure.....
Chesterfield +

Times thanked
< 333
He started at around 1 I think and finished at about 3:45. About 10 minutes into his set Derrick turned the music right down and got everyone to be quiet so he could say "I'm doing the best I can with the sound system I've got. I'm sorry". I can see why there was no extra sound brought in though because there wouldn't have been nearly enough ticket sales to cover it.

$10 for a basic spirit is fucking ridiculous.
cmontyc +

Times thanked
< 113
^ is that BA's fault or the promoters running the night, reason i ask is sometimes i go there , the sound is good(sunny parties) but most times its rubbish and what an embarassment to have may turn the sound down to say that.
Chesterfield +

Times thanked
< 333
As far as I can tell the standard sound in that room is shit and whenever it's good, it's because the promoter has brought in extra sound. I think it just wasn't feasible with the amount of tickets sold which is unfortunate.
macadali +

Times thanked
< 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmontyc View Post

^ is that BA's fault or the promoters running the night, reason i ask is sometimes i go there , the sound is good(sunny parties) but most times its rubbish and what an embarassment to have may turn the sound down to say that.

Tommy Four Seven sound rig was the best i ever heard at BA. Most other times I've been for the big names - Surgeon, Carl Craig, etc... it has been dismal. This is the promoters choice to bring in a good system, or not.
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,651

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybernaut View Post

agreed very washy not punchy......i was pissed of he started so late....was it 1 a.m.? I know its not "that" late but it was advertised he would start straight after interview......I left at 3.45 just too tired and cold....Im getting old...hehehehhe

great set though and it was awesome to hear Dave Pham again before Derrick...

Have too say the interview with mr may was really good and insightful.....Top bloke and a great sense of humour....

pretty much my thoughts too
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 258
Unless something has changed dramatically in the past 6 months you cannot say that there is a problem with BA as a venue for sound because it varies so much.

I remember that the sound for Octave One / Fred P, PDP and Move D late last year was excellent. Last Saturday it obviously sucked.

The sound dowstairs has been excellent as often as it hasn't been

In fairness, if last minute side shows are not going to pull serious numbers it is probably a big ask to have the promoter bring in extra speaker stacks and the like to improve sound levels. It seems like what Melbourne would really benefit from is different venues (to keep the pressure on the others).

I have to say I felt like such a tight arse when I openly scoffed at being asked to pay $17 for a vodka and redbull.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 09-May-12 at 01:43pm

DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
< 405
The shows might pull better numbers if people knew they would have good sound. This absolutely horrifies me !!

Quote:

About 10 minutes into his set Derrick turned the music right down and got everyone to be quiet so he could say "I'm doing the best I can with the sound system I've got. I'm sorry".

This being done to a legend of EDM !! .

Surely even the system that is there can be made to work better.
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-

BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
Chesterfield +

Times thanked
< 333
It did get better when he turned the monitors right up and faced them towards the crowd. It was absolutely gutless before that though.
Page 1 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »