The DJ Booth

Mixing Full-on Psytrance?

Tools
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Mixing Full-on Psytrance?
I have no problems in mixing deep, proggy psy - it's much the same as techno with plenty of percussion to play around with, but I'm having issues mixing full-on psytrance.

Most tracks have about 30 secs - 1 min of atmosphere (much of this in a specific key), and then bang - straight into the baseline, kick and percussion. It's hard to keep the momentum of the set going without horrible clashes of baselines together (EQing doesn't solve this as it does in deep house or techno though..)

Any tips from the psy djs?
Dragon Dreaming Festival - 25-27 October @ Canberra - Prog/Psytrance

Soliton Drop Festival - 10-12 January @ NSW - Prog/Psytrance

Hard NV - 1 February - @NV Nightclub, Canberra - Hard Techno

Brotherhood - 8 February @Canberra Warehouse - Techno/Trance

Kazuki.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
Buy an Isolator with a sweepable Low!
Or practice more, it's all about practice and knowing your music, you could also Key your music easily enough!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
chris pana +

catalina wine mixer

Times thanked
< 12
I hear what you're saying.

From a CDJ perspective you should use recordbox, now don't quote me, but I believe it enables you to quantize tracks aligned to a beat grid like you do using ableton.

This in my mind is one of the only ways to enable you to mix the atmospheric intro's that have no obvious beat count in or anything of that nature.

I personally use ableton....good luck.

Upcoming:
TBA - Feb 2012

Listen: www.soundcloud.com/chris-pana
Follow: www.facebook.com/ChrisPana
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Thats a pretty cool idea, just as long as the atmospheric part sticks to a defined bar length, then BAM just drop it when it comes in.
Tech-One
Simon_Murphy +

H@cked.

Times thanked
< 1,816
Cue at the first kick, big swift changeover of the basslines, short mixes. With a lot of that stuff the tunes are written to keep kicking right to the end so you can start mixing in the last minute, bring in some of your high end and mid and then swap the bass. Blending it makes it can make it sound too messy. Psy dancefloors are used to big bass drops.

That's all my opinion but I know that's how a lot of DJs do it.

If you want to go the long intro mixing you can, it can also sound really good but the above method sounds just as good and has a big reaction on the dancefloor.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/simon-murphy 2 new mixes online now
Facebook: http://facebook.com/djsimonmurphy
Substance/Prognosis: http://substancesounds.net
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Thanks guys - I've been practising a fair bit since then and am in favour of the quick mix for psytrance. I've also been using 'mixed in key' and pre-planning my psy sets, which helps a lot. It's not like it's my normal house or techno gig where you really want to read the crowd, psytrance is very much about the right DJ at the right timeslot, and playing accordingly.

Anyway, had a few later sets playing full-on and dark/twilight psy at a few doofs, and they've gone down a treat! Just had to lock in to the style of mixing really (which is quite similar to drum n bass mixing). And if really want to mix two tracks but can't transition them, I'll use a 20 second voice sample (movie quotes, comedy etc)
Dragon Dreaming Festival - 25-27 October @ Canberra - Prog/Psytrance

Soliton Drop Festival - 10-12 January @ NSW - Prog/Psytrance

Hard NV - 1 February - @NV Nightclub, Canberra - Hard Techno

Brotherhood - 8 February @Canberra Warehouse - Techno/Trance

Kazuki.com.au

« Previous Thread Next Thread »