Closed thread
  Tools
Dero13 +

Roar Roar Brisbane Roar!!!

Times thanked
< 1,292

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickko View Post

Apparently Poppa has signed on as coach of the Unicorns for five years.

Poppa must live closer to Coles than Woollies
BRISBANE ROAR FC

A-League Titles 3 times
2010-11 2011-12 2013-14

CHELSEA FC

First Div / EPL Titles 4 times
1954–55 2004–05 2005–06 2009–10

FA Cups 7 times
1969–70 1996–97 1999–00 2006–07 2008–09 2009–10 2011-12

European Champs
2011-12 (only London team to do it)
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,397
Down, down, Poppa is down
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,397

Quote:

Sydney FC's newly unveiled head coach Ian Crook says he wants to bring the 'bling' back to the A-League club.

Once dubbed 'Bling FC', the Sky Blues have lost their lustre and Crook thinks it's time for Sydney to reclaim their title as the glamour club.

The Sky Blues ended their long search for a head coach with Crook's elevation from youth coach to the senior job on a two-year deal.

This now allows the focus to shift to the much-needed recruitment of up to seven players with chairman Scott Barlow saying there was enough money at the club, now owned by his father-in-law, Russian billionaire David Traktovenko.

With three spots available for overseas players, Crook feels the addition of some star quality to attract fans is vital, especially with imminent cross-town rivals west Sydney also vying for supporters.

He says his priority would be to bolster the forward pack particularly with the loss of Brazilian striker Bruno Cazarine.

"This club has been blessed in times with some real crowd pleasers - Dwight (Yorke) was a crowd pleaser, even David Carney and then we had Juninho." Crook said.

"So I think it's important that who we bring in needs to fit into a culture that we want to develop, but they need to have a little bit of flair where it will actually get people in here.

"We definitely need to have something that's going to bring back a bit of excitement."

When asked if he wanted to bring the bling back to the club he said:

"Yeah I have no problem with that and if I live to regret that then not an issue at all.

"This club had this cocky kind of mentality from day one where everybody else wanted to knock it off and Sydney, just by having that name, should have that character."

Crook's promotion comes after Sydney pursued and missed out on top coaching targets Graham Arnold and Tony Popovic.

But Crook, who admitted he only considered going for the job when it appeared Arnold was out of the running, said he had no problem being further down the list of candidates.

"You start hearing little things that it's (Arnold's signing) going to happen, it's not going to happen.

"I just sat there thinking to myself 'I wonder if I could do this?'

"Then you just have to have the guts to put your hand up and thankfully for me they've decided to go that way.

"I know Arnie was first choice, and that's alright, I'll give him that one."

After two disappointing seasons the heat will be on Crook to restore the two-time championship winning club to the top of the league with Barlow saying the benchmark was to secure an Asian Champions League spot, which requires a top-three finish.

Crook confirmed Steve Corica will remain assistant coach with with Zeljko Kalac staying on as goalkeeping coach.

Bring back the Bling
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conor- View Post

Bring back the Bling

Things I like about Ian Crook - he's spotted the fact that we need some decent strikers (I'm assuming that expression "bolster the forward pack" was the work of some battler at Pagemasters rather than the expression he used).

Things I don't like about Ian Crook - his understading of what it means to be a "crowd pleaser" is so deficient that he thinks the term applies to David Carney.
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,261
season 1 he was fine
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,397
Season 1 Miron was fine......
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
http://www.facebook.com/events/311963045549720/

.... who's coming?
franko123 +

Hello, this is your captain speaking.

Times thanked
< 861
i love the poster... the ball is like hitting him in the back of the head
nickko +

Why would I not have a nice day?

Times thanked
< 4,541
I'm sure Kevin Mus**** will be there to support his mate check out the act playing downstairs from 12-2...
I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

Last edited by nickko: 16-May-12 at 09:32pm

danmau5 +

has just about had it up to here with you.

Times thanked
< 3,506
thwaite and jamieson to glory.
good and bad, at the same time.
franko123 +

Hello, this is your captain speaking.

Times thanked
< 861
thwaite would've been handy at roar... but i think smith and jurman are a pretty handy CB combo
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541
Disappointed to lose Jamieson - when he put his head down (and despite what some will say, this was more often than not), he was an excellent left fullback.
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541
Cole and Beauchamp have both been released as well.
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,848
So Lyle Gorman is chairman at Western Sydney, and *surprise* Popovic has been announced as coach.

Hernadez is leaving Victory too. 442 suggesting he may head to the Barrels?
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541
Apparently we've all-but-signed Ali Abbas. Ok with that, I guess.

...and we were trialling Fabio from the Tards today. Not ok with that.
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541

Quote:

Sydney FC is pleased to announce the signing of attacking midfielder Ali Abbas on a two year contract.

The Iraqi international agreed terms over the weekend and immediately joined his new Sky Blue team mates for training this morning.

Sydney FC Head Coach Ian Crook said: “I believe Ali is a fantastic addition to the squad and will have a big impact on the team.

“He has great endurance and is very quick. He is also naturally left footed which is something we’ve been missing on the left wing recently.

“I think we are very lucky to have won his signature and he will prove to be a very exciting signing for the Sydney FC fans.”

25-year old Abbas was a member of the victorious Iraqi national team that won the Asian Cup in 2007 and has spent the last three years playing in the Hyundai A-League with the Newcastle Jets.

“I'm really happy to be joining Sydney FC. It is exciting for me to be moving to one of the biggest clubs in Australia, which already has a history of success in the A-League,” said Abbas.

“Sydney FC has a strong squad and a great coaching staff, and I look forward to working with both.

“Now I'm ready to focus on training for next season, and help the team challenge for another title."

Abbas has a remarkable story having fled war-torn Iraq after playing an under 23’s international against the Olyroos in Gosford four years ago.

He was granted asylum to stay in Australia and rebuilt his football career with Marconi Stallions in the New South Wales Premier League.

Michael Roth of Inspire Sports Management said: “Ali's story since moving to Australia is inspirational, and this is the next chapter in an amazing journey for him.

“Hopefully he will flourish with Sydney FC, which will put him in a position to challenge for a place in his national team.”

Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,397

Quote:

Originally Posted by franko123 View Post

thwaite would've been handy at roar... but i think smith and jurman are a pretty handy CB combo

Smith, Jurman, Adnan, good rotation.

Quote:

Sydney FC might have missed out on luring Central Coast Mariners coach Graham Arnold but the club is looking to make up for that disappointment by setting its sights on his exciting protege, Tom Rogic.

Determined to rejuvenate a squad that has failed to live up to expectations in the last two seasons, the Sky Blues are understood to be making a big push to sign a young player widely regarded as the next superstar of Australian soccer

Rogic's Australian-based manager, Andrew Bernal, confirmed that the Sky Blues were interested in the 19-year-old, who burst to prominence with the Mariners this season.

"There have been some talks and they are making a push," Bernal, who works for Route 1 management, said.

"They are big on words but not big on figures at the moment. There are also a number of other clubs interested.

"At this stage we are looking at all avenues and the only definite I can give you is that Tommy will be playing in the A-League again next season.

"We are adamant he needs to stay in Australia for one more season to give him a good grounding and a good foundation for what will happen later. Obviously he will end up overseas and we have no doubt he has a long career in Europe ahead of him and is a future Socceroo."

The Mariners are determined to keep Rogic, who has developed under the coaching of Arnold, while Newcastle Jets are also believed to have shown an interest in him.

Arnold, who surprised when he turned down Sydney's offer to take over as coach, said he was confident Rogic would stay at the Central Coast.

"We know there are clubs chasing him," Arnold admitted. "But we think we can keep him. He knows the culture here. He knows we gave him the chance in the A-League. He knows that and appreciates it."

Bernal said he was hoping to sort out Rogic's future by the end of next week.

"Ideally we want this done and dusted very quickly so Tommy can sit back and relax and start thinking about next season," he said. "It will be fantastic for him to have a pre-season. He missed out on that last season and I think you'll see an even better player with that hard work under his belt."

Sydney are also believed to be interested in axed Newcastle Jets attacker Ali Abbas.

Abbas was released by the Jets last week and was supposed to be a target for the new west Sydney A-League franchise.

However, new Sydney coach Ian Crook is keen to have him at the Sky Blues as a left-sided player. Abbas was given a tour of the club's facilities last week.

Rogic to Bling
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541
Sun-worthy article.
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,848
"Route 1 Management"
risk +

forza livorno till i die

Times thanked
< 106
abbas at Sydney ffs, lol
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541
Fabio deal is done.

Also, we're linked with Adam Griffiths.
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,907
Excellent - fabio is rubbish, no great loss there.
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541
Word is Fabio Grosso is close to signing with an a-league club...
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 866
Just read the article on Grosso. WTF moment of the week for me

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541
Bridge and Petratos to West Sydney!
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,261
except they arent going
"Two players linked with the club - Sydney FC’s Mark Bridge and Dimitri Petratos - have not signed. According to Gorman there are no talks pending with the pair and representatives for both players – currently under contract for a further season each with the Sky Blues – confirmed they would be staying put."
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
boz-monaut +

comrade

Times thanked
< 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

except they arent going

quel dommage
Dero13 +

Times thanked
< 1,292

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

except they arent going
"Two players linked with the club - Sydney FC’s Mark Bridge and Dimitri Petratos - have not signed. According to Gorman there are no talks pending with the pair and representatives for both players – currently under contract for a further season each with the Sky Blues – confirmed they would be staying put."

No point working at Coles & trying to get a job at Woolworths?
Bism +

Times thanked
< 18,217
Dude you are from Queensland.
Dero13 +

Times thanked
< 1,292
Queensland has beautiful people according to leading fashion stylist Carson Kressley.

“I love Queensland. I love the people — they are so beautiful,” he enthused.
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541
Reports across Italy that the Tards have offered Grosso a two-year deal.
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,397
I wouldn't mind him here. Only 34, still maybe 2/3 years left.

He'll be a good crowd puuler, I went to watch NQF when Fowler was playing - first thing he did was sprint half the pitch and be awarded a penalty (rightfully )

Forget about 2006 - I'll take him
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,397
His wiki has been edited already!!

Look at 'Senior Career', on the right hand side...
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
< 22,957

Quote:

Reports across Italy that the Tards have offered Grosso a two-year deal.

If true, I can't wait to boo the fuck out of the muppet-faced diver.
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,848
Have the season 11/12 bloopers been posted yet? If they have, I haven't seen them, so here they are:
Media Player
A-LEAGUE FOOTBALL BLOOPERS - 2011/12 EDITION - YouTube
danmau5 +

Times thanked
< 3,506

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Boy View Post

If true, I can't wait to boo the fuck out of the muppet-faced diver.

I second this motion - with a vengeance.
crabman +

I might be a **** but I'm not a fucking ****.

Times thanked
< 8,299

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncanM View Post

Have the season 11/12 bloopers been posted yet? If they have, I haven't seen them, so here they are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DruMnLAQPmM

5:00 those numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

الاستماع إلى ... ال التنفس المدينة.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Bridge and Petratos to West Sydney!

"Reports last week suggested Bridge and Petratos, both from the city's west, would be released from their Sydney FC contracts a year early to join the A-League newcomers. But Sydney FC coach Ian Crook insists the pair remain part of his long-term vision for the club."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...#ixzz1wD7zBr9Y

davecw +

thinks Nando is homo

Times thanked
< 516
How is Bridge playing professionally ? Does he have any strengths?

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

We took a look at his goods when we got him home. I never want to see anything like that again - it looked like his penis had been traumatically amputated and stitched back on by a blind grandmother with no arms.

legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by davecw View Post

How is Bridge playing professionally ? Does he have any strengths?

He is very good at getting himself into good positions. He is not very good at doing productive things when he gets there.

To be fair, I think he is probably a pretty decent attacking midfielder, but he is not a striker's bootlaces.
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,397
But how is he still playing?

Can't be that good. Give a youth player a turn.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,261
last manager picked on name i think, or rarely changed selections
i think sitting behind the strikers he is decent, but agree with LA, he is not a striker
risk +

forza livorno till i die

Times thanked
< 106
he is fat

may as well be a gypo
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,541

Quote:

SYDNEY FC star Brett Emerton has revealed how he played for 18 games with ruptured ligaments in his ankle, forcing an operation which five weeks later still has him on crutches.

The Socceroos star hopes to get the all-clear from his surgeon on Friday to begin walking on the ankle that was first damaged in the final moments of Sydney's 2-0 win over Brisbane at Kogarah in early December.

With a five-month rehabilitation schedule, Emerton will miss much of pre-season under new coach Ian Crook, though he insists he is on track to be fighting fit by the start of next season in October.

"The ankle's as good as can be expected - I had the operation five weeks ago since then I've been on crutches and unable to put any weight on it," Emerton said yesterday. "I'm hoping for the ok this week to start walking on it, because my upper body is getting a serious work out. I should be running again by August or September, which will be a big relief.

"The surgery was to reattach the ligament to the bone, and have a bit of a clean up while they were in there," Emerton said. "It happened against Brisbane down at Kogarah, just before the final whistle I remember a sharp pain as I made a particular movement.

"Afterwards the surgeon told me that effectively I couldn't make it any worse. So they gave me the option of playing on, and it became a case of managing it."

The extent of the injury puts a different slant on some of the criticism Emerton came in for during his debut year as Sydney's marquee.

"It was frustrating not being able to train hard but the most important thing for me, in my first season back, was to play as many games as possible," Emerton said.

"To be fair, I think I only missed one through (a different) injury. I didn't make it well known and so people don't understand the extent of the injury or what you're going through."

The injury means that Emerton will miss four Socceroos games, as well as Sydney's preparation under Crook's leadership, but he was adamant there would be no absence beyond that.

"I was told it would be roughly five months from operation to playing fully again, so I'm confident I'll be ready for next season and a lot more comfortable than I was for most of last year," he said.

danmau5 +

Times thanked
< 3,506
Eli Babalj to Red Star Belgrade - €400,000
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
< 22,957
All the way to the bank.
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,397

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmau5 View Post

According to recent polls, Red Star Belgrade is the most popular football club in Serbia, with nearly 48,2% of the population supporting them

Even more
danmau5 +

Times thanked
< 3,506
conor, did you just have to use the google machine to find out if that was a real team?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism View Post

Go fuck yourself, Daniel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

the fuck kind of name is danmowfive

Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,397
Pah, I knew about it before.
I just wanted some stats on it. Knew OF them, didn't know much ABOUT them.
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmau5 View Post

are you fucking kidding me? at least there's going to be some cash splashed around by big johnny. fucking random club to go to as well.
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »