The Music Studio

When remixing a track....

Tools
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
When remixing a track....
How many of you, on purpose... Do not listen to the original first.

I find that if I get sent a song to remix, all always try do my best with the parts, and not listen to the original until i have finished.

Anyone do the same?
Tech-One
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234
That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Wats clubing by yourself like and dose enyone do it
groovewell +

wishes he was in the studio....

Times thanked
< 6
I understand where you are coming from. I used to do the same such that the original didn't influence the remix. So I could try and be as original as possible.

These days I'll tend to listen to the original to work out what the main hook is. I think it's important to carry that across to the remix. Either that or you've got to work to put your own hook in there in it's place

Also, nothing more offputting then hearing a remix with vocals, where they have changed the timing of the vocals. Yes there is a time and place to re-interpret how each of the parts sit in the context of the song but if the vocals have been shifted and it makes it a weaker song or doesn't suit the context there's no point in moving them.
OUT NOW on Midnite Music! - Pretension - I'm No Star

SOUNDCLOUD // TWITTER // EMAIL // PRODUCTION BLOG <<< DIY Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by groovewell View Post

I used to do the same such that the original didn't influence the remix. So I could try and be as original as possible..

This is my main reason, if I listen to the original I always get stuck (or more often) into doing the remix the way they did the original. If I get my ideas laid out, and then listen to the original I already have my spin on it

Quote:

Originally Posted by groovewell View Post

These days I'll tend to listen to the original to work out what the main hook is. I think it's important to carry that across to the remix. Either that or you've got to work to put your own hook in there in it's place

Also, nothing more offputting then hearing a remix with vocals, where they have changed the timing of the vocals. .

Yea, as you know you can usually figure out the hook from the parts...

and yes i agree fully, a timing change in the vocals can throw the remix right out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_bop View Post

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

You have never produced anything have you?
Tech-One

Last edited by slackas: 26-Apr-12 at 01:32pm

Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 17
i always listen to original because if the song is catchy from the get-go i don't want to lose the elements which made it catchy in first place but if its a meh song wand to get rid of boring elements and build on a "original" motive. also if you are genre upping (dramatically like pop to DnB) it can help because i'd say 50% of the time you have to use same baseline as the original
http://soundcloud.com/ezzcal/ezzcal-dub-04-free-project-file-4-u
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
If you have the parts (which is the situation im talking about) you will have the bassline...

So you can whip out a remix and have the bass, without listening...
Tech-One
Ben Royal +

Times thanked
< 127
I can see your point too. It's always interesting to hear a remix of a song, fall in love with it and listen to it many, many times, then down the track you hear the original and think how weird it sounds.

From my experience, if you dont like the original you aren't going to enjoy remixing it.

Agree on not changing the timing of the vocals - its super irritating. Just because you can make something different doesnt mean you should!

mixes and remixes @ soundcloud.com/benroyal
EgosXII +

Euphoria Levels Optimum

Times thanked
< 24
These days I usually listen to the original, but I definitely didn't used to, as I find it way easier to be original, and remix in my own style. When possible I still prefer not to listen to the original first!
-Everything I Say is a Lie-

OMG buy my Progressive House/Trance songs @ Beatport

OMG buy my PSY-Trance EP @ Beatport!
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Love nothing more than to leave the vocal untouched and try to find a different chord progression underneath. Still retain the original's feeling but totally different sound. On the topic of balls originals and awesome remixes, I always thought Axwell wrote "Turn on the music", then I heard Roger Sanchez's original and couldn't believe the crapness. Other candidates in that category include anything by Daft Punk (they're all remixes let's face it), and Nathan Fake - The Sky Was Pink
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Sometimes all a remix needs a few different parts...

But like you just said, everyone has heard that remix that is just pure awesomeness and both tunes can stand on thier own (or the remix by itself ha ha)
Tech-One
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Agreed.
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,911
i never listen to the original beforehand and then most of the time don't remember to listen to it afterwards either
djjass +

Times thanked
< 4
I tend to listen to the original to get a feel for the track.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »