The Music Studio

Ableton Help!!!

Tools
duracell +

Times thanked
< 0
Ableton Help!!!
I have just started to produce my own tunes remixes/originals and the likes i have brought ableton 8 and an MPK25.

and finding it a realy slow learning curve and is killing my life!! i dont have any experience with other programs and was told this was the best way to go for EDM production. i have watch countless youtube vids and have the basics down but dont feel im getting any further i just wanna hear others experience with this do i just keep going on my own or should i fork out the $$$$ and do the live school courses?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
If you think its hard, you should probably find another hobby.... it doesnt get much easier.

Most guys on here are self taught, but if you cant do it that way.... course it up!
Tech-One
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
< 69
A DAW program is not a computer game.
dyLABs +

Times thanked
< 22
keeping trying after 10,000 hours you'll be good at it
Melbourne Acid - Acidboxblues
Beatport
Facebook
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 16
after not switching but "dabbling" with ableton recently i found it 100x easier to learn compared to logic and basic workflow on it is pretty simple if i was a ableton first user i might get why they view logic as "hard". as said above if you are struggling with just getting music written then music might not be for you it does not get easier because once you understand one thing it often leads to you wanting(needing) to learn another . i am still learning every day (despite being a teacher) lol because i find it fun
http://soundcloud.com/ezzcal/ezzcal-dub-04-free-project-file-4-u
duracell +

Times thanked
< 0
i definatley wont be giving it up anytime soon. but just wanted to see if there was anyone else who like me has never seen production software before or has any other type of music knowledge other then being able to play a bit of guitar and started with ablteton. i didnt expect to install the software then have an EP in a few minutes.

also if anyone has done the courses?? are they worth $$$$
LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
< 461
Hang in there man. It definitely gets easier as you go. Tom Cosm has some good video tuts for the absolute beginner. I'd pay for those before considering a course. /2c good luck!
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
< 497
Producer videos helped me a lot when I was starting, that and basically fucking around. You shouldn't be trying to make tunes, just noises, get into that stupid mindset where you just want to play around and laugh at the ridiculous sounds you are making. Once you are in that mind set and not trying to make tracks you are ready to learn how to use the software and your kit.
latest track
LachyLeonard +

Times thanked
< 0
I'm in a similar position to you. Bought Ableton and a MIDI keyborad late last year and only really now starting to see results in tracks I wouldn't mind other people hearing. In terms of learning everything I've found Sonic Academy to be the best resource. You do have to pay for their courses, but well worth the money. Their courses include stuff on everything from how synthesis works to creating space in your mixes and beginner music theory.

Somewhat agree and disagree with the idea of just concentrating on making sounds. When I first started I did have a lot of fun mucking about with a few soft synths and just creating noise. That being said I think you learn more when you make a track from start to finish and have to think about creating space and making those sounds work together.
djjass +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by duracell View Post

I have just started to produce my own tunes remixes/originals and the likes i have brought ableton 8 and an MPK25.

and finding it a realy slow learning curve and is killing my life!! i dont have any experience with other programs and was told this was the best way to go for EDM production. i have watch countless youtube vids and have the basics down but dont feel im getting any further i just wanna hear others experience with this do i just keep going on my own or should i fork out the $$$$ and do the live school courses?

Courses are a good way of doing it, but it all comes down to the individual, everyone wants to be a super start producer, but are not willing to do the work.

At the end of the day remember that this is a creative process you can't learn how to be creative, you either have it or don't!
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 16
ableton has built in tutorials/help......
http://soundcloud.com/ezzcal/ezzcal-dub-04-free-project-file-4-u
BradCooper +

Times thanked
< 1
which shed a whole lot of light.. I've spent hours sifting through the abletron tut's and manual and its a god send!!
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,860

Quote:

If you're in Brisbane, I'd be happy to give you some tutelage. What are you having trouble with exactly?
duracell +

Times thanked
< 0
not too worried about being a "super star producer" i have a full time job allready and am only doing this because im loving djing but wanted to take it a bit further. Nah im not in brissy im in syd i have gone through the tutorials but im having more trouble with using the MIDI key.
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,345
I also have just started messing around with Ableton ( Girlfriend bought me this for my bday). So much fun at the moment just messing around. Tutorials/ manual/ playing aruond with stuff.

I would say my thing at the moment is I am making "songs" but really just messing around and happy to get any kind of structure/sounds haha.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

but im having more trouble with using the MIDI key.

Midi keyboard?
Tech-One
duracell +

Times thanked
< 0
yeah - Akai MPK25
LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
< 461
What specific trouble are you having using the midi keyboard?
weeklypodcast.net promoting independent artists.

I find them on Soundcloud
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Less posting more learning.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

yeah - Akai MPK25

Plug it in... learn how to play...

if in doubt, youtube > Ronald Jenkees.

Also, i have a feeling your main problem has nothing to do with music... but motivation... so watch this:

Media Player
Great Inspiration By Will Smith - YouTube
Tech-One
duracell +

Times thanked
< 0
have started making better progress i was told to take a step back and instead of trying to start from scratch and trying to make songs have started using the loops and beats already in the live pack and just adding effects then little bleeps and noises and have started to notice the things that are needed to complete a sound that i was missing. probably the best advice i have had for using ableton and the best i can give i clearly went too hard too early. obviously the only bad thing is none of this i can really call my own production
duracell +

Times thanked
< 0
best motivational vid!!!!
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

have started making better progress i was told to take a step back and instead of trying to start from scratch and trying to make songs have started using the loops and beats already in the live pack and just adding effects then little bleeps and noises and have started to notice the things that are needed to complete a sound that i was missing. probably the best advice i have had for using ableton and the best i can give i clearly went too hard too early. obviously the only bad thing is none of this i can really call my own production

Just keep trying, undoing what someone else has done is sometimes the best way to learn.
Tech-One
Philsky +

Times thanked
< 0
I too have been working with Ableton for about a year and have the raw basics down but am at the stage where I would like to bounce ideas and sounds with other like minded peeps in Melbourne. I have held off from the big courses for now. Is there a user group in Melbourne?
myszka1266 +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

best motivational vid!!!!

So inspiring

I was on FL studio for ages and tried ableton and couldn't seem to work it out, so i went back to FL and spent endless hours and kept learning. iIve just made the "switch" to ableton and it was still hard at first but got easier with alot of practise. Keep at it man and you'll eventually get past this stage
Philsky +

Times thanked
< 0
is there anybody in the Melbourne area that wants to meet up?
InfiniteDJ +

Times thanked
< 0
hey phil, when i 1st started 2 years ago i found ableton to be quite hard at 1st but then when u get the hang of it it quite easy. go on youtube and watch tutorials. some are good/bad but they help.
Ryan Alex +

Times thanked
< 0
Do you guys use sample databases or do you create everything from scratch?

I think it is a big difference between really creating your own sounds and just throwing together some samples and effects.
hayden77 +

Times thanked
< 1
It is a good idea to try your hand with some basic synthesis and really play around with it. If you do some research into the processes of sound design and you'll have a better understanding of what it takes to make a decent sounding kick, lead, whatever.

Not that I'm against the idea of using sample packs and such, exploring sound synthesis can help you get a better idea of how to use both samples and synthesis to work well together.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »