< 479
Watch: Alison Wonderland brings DJing to 'Sunrise'
Larry gif please.
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 520
The screenshot with Larry pulling a bass face is epic.
donut152 +

Times thanked
< 1
Hey at least she pushes the play button bettter than Guetta..
seands13 +

Times thanked
< 0
So stoked to see this! Alison Wonderland is in my top 5 Aussie DJs for sure. I don't think Sunrise is exactly the best forum to show off epic mixing skills anyway.

Seriously, all it takes to be hated is to get a commercial record deal. There's a reason she got signed even though she didn't come first in the competition.
joshforrest +

Times thanked
< 141
Larry: "whats this button do?"
Alison: "Yeah push it.. (its the DJ button: its really the only one you actually need to push these days)(i have no idea what the rest of these knobs do)
Ruskhouse +

munted

Times thanked
< 45
hahah she's hot knobbing.
JackT +

ugh-ed out

Times thanked
< 204
joshforrest, have to say you are just lazily, sexist-ly stabbing in the dark with that one.
johony +

nm u

Times thanked
< 7
She's pretty.

bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
< 746

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruskhouse View Post

hahah she's hot knobbing.

this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbiggs View Post

right on **** sign me up

dj name: big facotr
style: ballbag disco
promotion ability: zilch none naada
stage presence: fuck it **** im on the d floor and use a long stick from there to change the faders.

Amosse +

Bring Super8 & Tab to Australia!

Times thanked
< 111
would smash.
james223 +

Times thanked
< 153
Well that was shit
justbecause +

Times thanked
< 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackT View Post

joshforrest, have to say you are just lazily, sexist-ly stabbing in the dark with that one.

I like what you did there.
andosound +

It's a defence mechanism

Times thanked
< 362
she played Azaelia Banks.. OMG she so cool!!!
deaman +

Times thanked
< 11
i think she would look less lame if she tapped on the cue button with out her arms crossed... she'd be more comfortable too...
Morecowbell +

Times thanked
< 68
Inthemisogyny. She doesn't play my kind of music either but there's no need to be a pig about it.
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
< 142
lol thats shit, you cant skip the advert
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
< 3,178
Never heard of her wish I could go back in time to that blissful era where my brain didn't have all that useless information about her swimming around with important stuff like how I maintain an erection on drugs
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 217
Hey Seands13 "Alison Wonderland is in my top 5 Aussie DJs for sure. I don't think Sunrise is exactly the best forum to show off epic mixing skills anyway."

I'd love to know who your other 4 favourites are. No trollo.

I certainly won't rag on Alison, because she plays music I really do not appreciate, but I do have to burst your bubble on the fact that marketability played a big hand in her being signed to the EMI roster, and remixing their artists. Placements on breakfast shows like that are just parr for the course.

By all means, girl deserves what she is acheiving, but some of the guys sentiments (and NOT the misogynistic ones, really guys?) are understandable.

Real talent in Sydney, that's Clarkson, Doherty, Magda, Morgan, Treak etc. It's a pity ITM is so deep in the pockets of corporate sponsors and it's large following of new EDM culture kids, that locals aren't being given the radio/profile treatment that these dime-a-dozen artists are.

lawlietskyy +

its showtime ! *Arnold Voice*.

Times thanked
< 418
Why would you attack ITM about them giving spotlights to all the commercial stuff - This has been a well established process for sometime now .. eg. Skrillex & Guetta articles every 2 seconds..

JackT ... i know you cringed a little when seeing this video - But you've been muffled it seems.
412nv +

Times thanked
< 8
I watched Skrillex blow all of one direction and this video is still worse than that.
QualityCtrl +

Times thanked
< 13
I love visiting ITM for news on international artists, but the site has a huge flaw when it comes to actually pushing the local scene anywhere save for where corporate sponsors want it to go. You won't find news about local producers on the site unless they gain international recognition first, in fact I wonder if any local producer has been put under the spotlight long before touring internationally.

Instead of championing upcoming talent, the site relies on relatively safe news on socialite DJs and meaningless gossip to bring in traffic. EMI's female only DJ competition was a classic example, relying on a ridiculous notion that female DJs are underrepresented in EDM, when really the issue lies with the fact that only attractive female DJs get anywhere *cough Havanah Brown*. EMI happily exploited this, providing a list of DJs many of which with established careers and all of whom probably wouldn't be out of place in a modelling competition. Add to this the fact that the winner was provided with opportunities to produce, despite the fact they had maybe 1 prospective producer enter what was a DJing competition in the first place, and it quickly becomes apparent how much of a marketing tool the whole thing was for the labels involved, covered the whole way by ITM. That's not to say the girls weren't actually talented, in fact I think Minx did produce a bit of her own work which is encouraging to see and perhaps deservedly gave her recognition. What sucks is that regardless of gender, actual producers aren't given the same opportunities or recognition as potential attractive label representatives. I haven't seen male DJs flown around the world to learn from recognised producers on the back of their DJing talents, nor have I seen them get an easy gig as DJ playboy bunnies in random international locations, but my point here is that in this regard there is no gender disparity and the whole concept was flawed.

What would be nice is if ITM actively sought out local talent; for example, the Sydney artist PIXL who recently won a Kaskade & Adam K remix competition for their track 'Raining'. I don't think it would hurt to widen the scope to other professions related to EDM either, like Australian vocalists doing well e.g. Amba Shepherd whose worked with artists like Porter Robinson, Ferry Corsten, Nick Galea to name some artists who have had some ITM coverage. An interview of such artists would be nice, as an example, and undoubtedly there is other upcoming Australian talent out there - but it takes some digging to find them rather than EMI throwing them on your doorstep.

I realise that ITM is a sponsored site, and for that reason must cover a certain portion of material that it has to do to draw in numbers and keep sponsors happy. What I don't love is that when a "local news" article appears, it covers either festival line-ups or corporate sponsored individuals who are given more opportunities than perhaps would be given to any other individual, in order to give a major label a new popular representative to sell compilation CDs of other people's work.

Long post, but it's been in the back of my mind for quite awhile. Posted on a throwaway account.
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 217
Sentiments on the money there, Mr. control. I like the cut of your jib, don't go.

lawlietskyy, you need to learn the difference between an 'attack' or just simply telling it how it is. I said it's a 'pity', not 'ITM for shame how dare you'...

Thing is, am I blind, or did she not even actually pull a mix? 25 years plus of EDM and people are still not wise to the basics of DJing :|

SANDSHREW +

I AM A TERRORIST BOYFRIEND BEFORE EATING SHIT

Times thanked
< 114
DEPRIVE ME OF MY EVERLASTING LIFE
josh_goods +

Times thanked
< 58
she dj'd my 18th :)
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49
If I was a good looking female I would have been more successful as a dj.

DTrancer +

I don't know how to change my user title?!1

Times thanked
< 177
no jesus pose. i am disappointed
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 217
defected819, are you a buttf@#% ugly Femal DJ then?
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 992
TBH i am very against the whole she dj comp, was terrible on so many levels

but saying that i did see alison wonderland play at the final and she is a very skilled dj, i was very impressed with how good she was and imo should have won the comp

however the ivy resident won the comp, which was strangely enough held at the ivy.......funny that

oh and agreed on the local content......its a constant whinge from me that im sure itm are sick of hearing about
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
< 3,166
woah. i feel violated after watching that gash.
technoterrorist +

Times thanked
< 3
Dear In The Mix, can I please have that 2 minutes of my life back?
officialmissmon +

Times thanked
< 0
Poor girl, you could tell that she was not loving being there!
daverh +

zou bisou

Times thanked
< 479
A couple of points;

Alison is a really talented producer.

Also, Jack has done more than any other ITM editor to try and inject a local focus to inthemix, continually championing new features and content series to highlight backyard talent even though it won't traditionally set the pageviews on fire. And knowing Jack he'll be taking in this criticism thoughtfully to make ITM a better website and more rewarding for ITMers.
katiecunningham +

ITM 4 LYF

Times thanked
< 325

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverh View Post

A couple of points;

Alison is a really talented producer.

Also, Jack has done more than any other ITM editor to try and inject a local focus to inthemix, continually championing new features and content series to highlight backyard talent even though it won't traditionally set the pageviews on fire. And knowing Jack he'll be taking in this criticism thoughtfully to make ITM a better website and more rewarding for ITMers.

Amen. Also really put off by the amount of misogyny in this thread. Really, really not cool.
SANDSLASH +

BURN THEM WITH SEARING ACID

Times thanked
< 78
HANG HER BY THE VAJAYJAY FLAPS !
QualityCtrl +

Times thanked
< 13
Two points to address the ITM staffers' response:

1. I, and others, appreciate Jack putting himself out thereto push local content but the threshold for 'local content' and 'backyard talent' simply should not extend to glorified DJs and media personalities instead of producers who actually make the music that gets played. The only homegrown artist I have seen on ITM who might have been without an established presence was a dubstep artist from Perth whom is already touring internationally, though I can't quite remember his name as i do not follow dubstep myself.

2. Labelling some of the comments about the video as "misogynistic" is crude at best given A) none specifically tie her gender with her dj ability, B) a male would have received just as much slack given ITM's highly prevalent criticism in the comments section of articles, which is somewhat encouraged by the authors tone in articles particularly regarding well known people / artists though perhaps not in this case and C) most of the comments are arguably based on her djing ability which, whether justified or not, is not speech pertaining to the hatred of women.

Lastly, whilst Alison may be a good producer, I would hesitate to call that a justification for DJs winning production opportunities when the winner did not NEED to produce. I am happy to be proven wrong on that requirement though as I haven't read the rules in their entirety. My point, however, is that there are no such similar competitions open to us male producers to the exclusion of females, most competitions are online submissions and you wouldn't have a clue of the artists' gender. This is what annoys me about the EMI competition - it is a stupid notion to force a career on someone who happens to be the best of an exclusive group because they are under-represented through no fault of society.
JackT +

ugh-ed out

Times thanked
< 204
QualityCtrl, I actually deleted a couple of comments that definitely fell under the banner of point #2.
daverh +

zou bisou

Times thanked
< 479
Ctrl, you brought up producing in your original post.

There was a production element to the She Can DJ competition.

I'm not ITM staff (anymore).
kerbear +

Times thanked
< 7
oh jesus.
Morecowbell +

Times thanked
< 68
Don't get yourself confused, Ctrl. Misogyny, by its definition, includes the sexual objectification of women. It isn't concerned exclusively with hatred.

Sure, Alison's a babe. But to blindly suggest in the absence of any real knowledge of her ability or talent that she's inept behind the decks or in a studio based upon her appearance or gender is nothing more than the airing of a an uninformed opinion. Uninformed opinions are fucking useless and display nothing more than ignorance.

I'm not a fan of the She Can DJ format either. I think even the name itself is inherently counterproductive. I'd rather see the general psyche changed amongst what has long been a bit of a boys' club by exposure to the great local female talent that we have.

On the issue of exposure for the local scene...I don't think there is such a thing as too much. The more, the better. Male, female, get them on the main page ITM. Artist profiles, mixes, original productions....they'd all be welcomed I think.
QualityCtrl +

Times thanked
< 13
Dave, having read through the entry conditions & T&C's, there is no requirement to produce. Entrants needed to put forward a biography and a mix, there was no condition about being able to make your own music and certainly not one in regards to submitting it for judging. The only production related stipulations were relevant to the prize which gave the winner a recording contract and production lessons. I would have to imagine restricting the competition to producers wouldn't have been in EMI's best interest, given how few female producers there seem to be, and given the competition is labeled 'she can DJ'.

Jack; my mistake if there were entries that you deleted that were misogynistic. But I have to say the comment you labelled 'sexist' by joshforrest did not reference Alison's gender at all, it was in regard to her ability to DJ (not that I agree with him). Actually the part where he wrote in brackets "(I'm not sure what the rest of them do") could've been relating to his own knowledge of how to DJ, not an imitation of Alison...or at least that's one way I interpreted it, either way, not sexist.

Cowbell; while I agree misogyny extends to the sexual objectification of women, 'sexual objectification' is far removed from some of the comments about her looks on this thread. If these comments were said about a male, this would be a non-issue.
JackT +

ugh-ed out

Times thanked
< 204
QualityCtrl, fair enough - that comment I directed at joshforrest was Friday 5pm, haha. Looking at it now, I guess you could say that it might've been made if the DJ wasn't a girl...anyway, it just seemed really lazy, because Alison Wonderland does clearly know what the rest of the knobs do.
QualityCtrl +

Times thanked
< 13
Agreed, props on the most recent article btw.
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 217
QualityCtrl - while there was no production component, the girls were taken into a studio session. Today, the commodity of the DJ coupled with the producer is becoming the norm, and has a greater sell-point and potential for revenue. Who mixes their shit down and polishes it is another story ;)

I think we'd all feel a little less vexed (well I know am) in knowing that the She Can DJ comp was simply a project by EMI looking for fresh female EDM faces for it's label.

Just commercial music industry doing it's thing.

Twizard +

Life is like a bowl of rice

Times thanked
< 65
Good to see people doing well so young
ravey davey +

An oldie but a goodie...

Times thanked
< 1
Gawd help me...