EPL 11/12 #7: MCFC Pride of Manchester

Closed thread
  Tools
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956

Quote:

Originally Posted by daysofourlives View Post

But no one ever said that English football is the best. I think this whole forum knows that.

So why are you arguing with me over my comments that basically add up to something along the lines of, "a player doesn't have to prove themselves or perform well in the EPL, to still be considered a quality player" and "the majority of Brazilian internationals are quality, regardless of their performances in the EPL"? Fozzie told me you are a tool.

Last edited by DrugfuctDonkey: 16-May-12 at 10:01pm

Bism +

Times thanked
< 18,335
Good argument gays.
midian +

'yeah, nah, go f**k yourself, I am the King of the Mods and I am the Decider. There can be only One. And.... go f**k yourself.'

Times thanked
< 2,615
It's not often I agree with Dero but Ashley Cole is by FAR the best left back the EPL has seen and quite possibly the best left back in the world of the 00's. Even now it's hard to name many better than him. He's fast, he can tackle, he can cross, he defends well and most importantly he has a football brain and covers whoever his left sided midfielder is.

I get that Arsenal fans hate him because he left and went to Chelsea. I get that most other people hate him because he's a ****. Personally I hate him because not only did he shag Cheryl Cole but he also married her before getting bored of her. But you can't doubt his talent.

Also I think comparing Roberto Carlos and Cole is like chalk and cheese. One can tackle well, the other one couldn't. One required Makalele to cover his side so he could push forward, the other didn't. One could shoot, the other can't. One always tracks back, the other didn't etc etc etc. It's almost like comparing two different positions, that's how different they are.
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,293
BREAKING NEWS: the king is GONE!

exciting times! GOODBYE HENDERSON. GOODBYE CARROLL.
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
< 7,918
sacked. The legend burns
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,595
Fuck

To be fair, it was an awful season and some of his team selections were mystifying..anyone else would have been sacked
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
< 7,918
So we are now at the base of the scouse boom/bust cycle. We assend over the summer months to the heady summit
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,595
Guardiola for Liverpool.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 868
Foreign manager in = exodus of players out = Liverpool maybe challenging a bit next season
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956
Wonder whether the owners are willing to spend another 40-50 million to fix the mess.

Not like they'll get a good return if they sell guys like Henderson, Carroll etc
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,595
Ferguson for Liverpool
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,923
It was the right decision. Had to be done.
silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
< 1,809
Don't care who we get as long as they don't play adam, hendo, downing or carra.
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,595
Id like to see someone like Jurgen Klopp come in. Not sure why he'd leave Dortmund for us though.
nickko +

Why would I not have a nice day?

Times thanked
< 4,585
It's all set up for his return:

I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
< 6,125
Dalglish needed time, he needed the summer to worm out some of the older statesmen of the club like Gerrard and Carragher. Liverpool have some decent youngsters and if Dalglish had support of the board he would've started blooding them. Its sad that the egos of old past their prime players has cost a quality coach his job. Liverpool has players INTENTIONALLY performing below par so he could get the sack.

As long as Tom Werner continues with the managerial merry go round Liverpool will continue to struggle. He needed to stick with Dalglish and change the playing staff, i.e. discard the older players who are not performing and bring in better/younger ones in their place. He needed to be allowed to exert HIS authority as it would seem that he was constantly being undermined by some of the 'senior' players. Bringing back Benitez would not be the answer.

The problem isn't so much Dalglish as it is Werner, his dirty yank money infecting the club, and ageing players. Players like Carragher, Gerrard and Reina have been allowed too much influence by their interefering club owner. Dalgish needed to be allowed to cut loose the players he didn't want, and keep those he did. They resist new playing styles, new training methods and all the while bleat to their ex-manager Benitez. Cut them loose and move on. Coaches need time. Dalglish is a liverpool legend and he's been treated disgustingly in this whole affair.

Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgd6MccwZc

Last edited by TRZA: 17-May-12 at 07:35am

DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956
Theres only one Alan Pardew..
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,595

Trollza back on deck.
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956
Looking at Twitter and Facebook LFC pages..

A lot of Pewl fans seem to be ignoring the fact that regardless of the coaching staff, most of the players they've had on the park this season are pretty shit.

It's not just poor performances from a team of quality individual players like it has been with Chelsea in the league this year.
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 2,015

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

This is completely subjective obviously, but it just so happens I objectively agree with it.
I still get emotional at this. Ha ha ha ha.

lol awesome. is that the year Arsenal won on goal difference? also lol @ dalglish's mullet face

I think the added elements to this year were

- City v United. It would have been less special if it was City v Chelsea or something

- QPR playing to avoid relegation. They didn't just show up mid table and not giving a shit
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,436
RAWK is all over blaming the owners for not investing enough in the club

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

Times thanked
< 885
So Martinez is heading for History it seems......
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
hipswinger +

Fozzie's mate

Times thanked
< 885
And tbh, cole was the best lb in his day.
ARSENAL FC
1st Div / EPL Winner - 13 Times
FA Cup Winner - 11 Times
League Cup Winner - 2 Times
Euro Cup Winner Cup Winner- 1 Time
EPL 4th Place Winner - 15 Times
EPLFinancial Cup Winner - 8 times
EPL Grounderkeeper Winner - 3 Times
Box to Box Possesion without scoring Winner - 8 times
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,398
Kenny gone. That's Downing's second asssist of the season.
weekender +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

Dalglish needed time, he needed the summer to worm out some of the older statesmen of the club like Gerrard and Carragher. Liverpool have some decent youngsters and if Dalglish had support of the board he would've started blooding them. Its sad that the egos of old past their prime players has cost a quality coach his job. Liverpool has players INTENTIONALLY performing below par so he could get the sack.

As long as Tom Werner continues with the managerial merry go round Liverpool will continue to struggle. He needed to stick with Dalglish and change the playing staff, i.e. discard the older players who are not performing and bring in better/younger ones in their place. He needed to be allowed to exert HIS authority as it would seem that he was constantly being undermined by some of the 'senior' players. Bringing back Benitez would not be the answer.

The problem isn't so much Dalglish as it is Werner, his dirty yank money infecting the club, and ageing players. Players like Carragher, Gerrard and Reina have been allowed too much influence by their interefering club owner. Dalgish needed to be allowed to cut loose the players he didn't want, and keep those he did. They resist new playing styles, new training methods and all the while bleat to their ex-manager Benitez. Cut them loose and move on. Coaches need time. Dalglish is a liverpool legend and he's been treated disgustingly in this whole affair.

The problem isn;t so much AVB as it is Abramovich. His dirty russian money infecting the club and ageing players. Players like Lampard, Drogba and Terry have been allowed too much influence by their interfering club owner. AVB needed to be allowed to cut loose the players he didn't want and keep those he did. etc etc etc etc etc

Reading the Liverpool Echo comments section, its about 50/50 in support of KK and against. And knowing the demographic that a) read the Echo and b) post comments suggests that most sane Reds will reluctantly admit he had to go.

What's Don Fabio up to?
"Old enough to know better"
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,436
The thing is, having already sunk a boatload of cash into the club, FSG will probably be loath to invest any more and the next manager will have to make do with the shower of shit currently available to him after Dalglish's transfer disasters. As a result, next season all the Liverpool faithful will be talking about is how much of a mistake it was getting rid of him as the new manager hasn't been able to do any better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

midian +

'yeah, nah, go f**k yourself, I am the King of the Mods and I am the Decider. There can be only One. And.... go f**k yourself.'

Times thanked
< 2,615

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickko View Post

midian +

Times thanked
< 2,615

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipswinger View Post

So Martinez is heading for History it seems......

Big gamble on someone who seems to only gets his team to *really* perform in the last 8 games of the season... If they're going to not get a big name (Benitez/Capello) and promote someone from a smaller club, Paul Lambert would be a great choice. Or Brendan Rogers.
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
< 2,923
Cant argue with a word of this article...

Dalglish an appointment out of time
May 16, 2012
By Richard Jolly

"You want to move the club forward back to where it was before" - Kenny Dalglish, April 2012.

Dalglish's second coming could not replicate the glory of his previous regime
GettyImagesDalglish's second coming could not replicate the glory of his previous regime

The concept of the past being Liverpool's future was one of the contradictions of Kenny Dalglish's second coming. Once the finest of strikers, he assembled a side that struggled to score. The Kop's darling managed a team who sent their supporters home frustrated by their inability to win at home. His charges were, until an awful first hour in the FA Cup final, terrific in the knockout competitions but, by Anfield's high standards, terrible in the league. A man who can be funny, even charming, in private proved needlessly hostile and invariably awkward in public.

A unifying figure when he returned, initially as caretaker manager, 16 months ago, had become divisive. Among his adherents, Dalglish was the answer, a galvanising force who had been let down by Damien Comolli and underperforming players and suffered at the whims of the woodwork, opposing goalkeepers and the Football Association.

For others, especially outside Anfield, he was the problem, crying misfortune instead of accepting Liverpool's failings, a manager whose policy of buying British had been a costly catastrophe and whose results, once so encouraging, deteriorated to the level that only Aston Villa, Blackburn and Wolves took fewer points in 2012.

"Disappointing" was the word owner John W Henry diplomatically used. It was an understandable understatement. The last 19 league games have yielded only 18 points. That should be unacceptable for Liverpool, just as eighth place, 47 goals and 52 points are nowhere near good enough. Hence the dispassionate decision taken in Boston. If the sacked manager's name were not Kenny Dalglish, this may have been uncontroversial.

Instead, it is the bravest move Fenway Sports Group could have made. Dalglish, rightly, commands huge loyalty at Anfield; many have memories of the Scot delivering victory in the 1978 European Cup final; still more, and still more significantly, recall the humanity, humility and dignity he displayed after the Hillsborough disaster. His is a greatness that extends beyond 172 goals or 515 games in a red shirt.

Pity, then, the successor who has to compete with a legend. Unless the next manager gets immediate results, the Dalglish diehards will call for the return of their King. They will be disappointed: American owners have shown they are Republicans. A Boston Tea Party has led to their declaration of independence from the Merseyside royalists. New World sensibilities have been imposed on a traditional club.

And as director of football Damien Comolli, head of sports science Peter Brukner and director of communications Ian Cotton had already discovered, they are ruthless. The level of FSG's disappointment with Liverpool's season should be obvious, the feeling that they deem the last 12 months a wasted year very clear.

Dalglish has been guilty of a series of misjudgements, both major and minor, over a troubled year. The mishandling of the Luis Suarez affair damaged the club's reputation and the team's season. His prickly persona was more of an issue in an age of 24-hour rolling sports coverage than it was in the analogue days of the 1980s; a man who, as Henry said, "personifies everything that is good about Liverpool" contrived to alienate and annoy in front of a camera.

His transfer dealings made it hard for FSG to trust Dalglish with funds this summer. Given the chance to perform a high-budget overhaul, he compiled a squad lacking a reasonable alternative to Lucas as a defensive midfielder or a clinical finisher. It was a group where almost all the finest performers were already at Anfield, the majority of the weak links the recent arrivals. There were too few signs that enough were playing for the manager in a dispiriting end to the campaign.

Meanwhile, the excessive fees paid for Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam reflect poorly on Comolli. But the actual assessment that they had the talent and temperament Liverpool demand was the manager's mistake; they formed part of the case for the prosecution of Dalglish. The question has to be posed if the 61-year-old has the knowledge of foreign football required to recruit abroad; until comparatively recently, during his extended break from the frontline, he was still confusing two Premier League strikers with similar names but of very different capabilities.

Some complained that Dalglish had too little power; arguably he had too much. The manager was reluctant to heed advice - wearing the Suarez T-shirt was a particularly imprudent move - and at times his instincts betrayed him. For him, his way and the Liverpool Way were one and the same.

And yet this was not the 'Liverpool Way'. That was an incomparable tradition of winning. This was their poorest league season in half a century and came in an era when, unless in exceptional circumstances, the Premier League and the Champions League are the true barometers of progress.

After initial improvement when Dalglish replaced Roy Hodgson, Liverpool regressed. After a year of expensive underachievement, they are further away from contention in May 2012 than they were in May 2011. And so Fenway Sports Group will take a very different approach, almost certainly targeting a younger, more progressive manager. The sense of sadness that a job Dalglish had wanted to regain for 20 years should be removed from him after one should not disguise the necessity of a change at the helm. This is no time for sentiment.

Dalglish, the perfect appointment in 1985, was an imperfect choice forced upon the owners, 26 years later. The game had changed, and he proved a man out of time. Liverpool have made a decision to part company with their glorious past. The nostalgia trip is over. Now they have to accelerate into the future.
"My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence"

#BRTG
weekender +

Times thanked
< 543
At last, some sense... unlike Andy Hunter in the Graudian
"Old enough to know better"
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanBuurenisGod View Post

The game had changed, and he proved a man out of time.

Media Player

wooo
RaVeR_SpIkE +

Yeah Baby 500Gb Internet Fuck Yes

Times thanked
< 3,679
now it will get interesting Chelsea and Liverpool looking a for new manager
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,585
Chelsea?
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
< 6,125

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekender View Post

The problem isn;t so much AVB as it is Abramovich. His dirty russian money infecting the club and ageing players. Players like Lampard, Drogba and Terry have been allowed too much influence by their interfering club owner. AVB needed to be allowed to cut loose the players he didn't want and keep those he did. etc etc etc etc etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgd6MccwZc
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
< 23,159
KK to Chelsea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 16,024
I love that Shaun of the dead gif, because its so easy to imagine you actually doing that Trizzle.
RaVeR_SpIkE +

Times thanked
< 3,679
have you forgot that chelsea don't have a manager nickko , yes we have rdm but there is no certainly he will stay after ucl final
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,585
I thought it was all but certain he would be offered the gig full-time...?
KuRuPTeD +

you gonna get raped

Times thanked
< 1,392
Quite confident we'll pull Martinez

We as in villa fans.

Fans as in me alone.
davecw +

thinks Nando is homo

Times thanked
< 516
kinda disappointed.

Shocked also not sure how another manager getting sacked is going to put us in a better position. Arhh well lets just see, hopefully they look after KK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

We took a look at his goods when we got him home. I never want to see anything like that again - it looked like his penis had been traumatically amputated and stitched back on by a blind grandmother with no arms.

RaVeR_SpIkE +

Times thanked
< 3,679

Quote:

I thought it was all but certain he would be offered the gig full-time...?

they have keep quiet about the whole situation - so no-one knows if he will get the fulltime status or not , if we win on sunday our time, it will fucked stupid not to give rdm the managers position, he will hopefully get the one thing that the past mangers haven't been able to get the ucl.

but know fucking chelsea they will fuck up a really good position by not giving it to rdm and and looking for a brand new manger and forking out 15+ for a new contract.
KuRuPTeD +

you gonna get raped

Times thanked
< 1,392
it would be fucked stupid if they didn't keep RDM on after the final
nickko +

Times thanked
< 4,585
...irrespective of the result. The decision to appoint a coach should never hinge on the result of a cup final.
davecw +

thinks Nando is homo

Times thanked
< 516
Im not sure i think RDM is the man to take the club forward over the long run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

We took a look at his goods when we got him home. I never want to see anything like that again - it looked like his penis had been traumatically amputated and stitched back on by a blind grandmother with no arms.

DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956
Yeah but its Chelsea.... they get rid of all their good managers
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
< 1,956

Quote:

Originally Posted by davecw View Post

Im not sure i think RDM is the man to take the club forward over the long run.

Why?
KuRuPTeD +

you gonna get raped

Times thanked
< 1,392

Quote:

...irrespective of the result. The decision to appoint a coach should never hinge on the result of a cup final.

Agreed..it would be say...fucked stupid?
Bism +

Times thanked
< 18,335
"what's this I'm hearing about Mr Cash Money." - E Frimpong
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,413
FA Cup win + Champs league final is surely enough?
JustinJ +

It was a good speech. Didn't want to interrupt.

Times thanked
< 3,539

Quote:

...it was all but certain he would be offered the gig full-time...

Not @ you nickko, but I hate this 'it is all but certain' or 'it is all but over' phrase - I have to stop and thinking whether it's 'it is certain'/'it is over' or 'it's not certain'/'it's not over'. Sometimes people who use that get it confused with 'it's anything but' and I have nfi what they mean.

/JJ's English grammar segue. Carry on.
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »