Music News

Jaytech Guest Editorial: The art of the warm-up set

Tools
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Great advice - like the fact that you can still play your own style, but it's about energy levels, not the genre. (if it's completely wrong the promoter has made a mistake)
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
different take on it! well written.
zsmiles +

Times thanked
< 15
I like to see when the stocks are high, and when they're low. Sometimes they're very high, sometimes they're very high, that's when you need to sell. I like to buy them when they're down here, and sell them when they're up here.
TwiztedBlue +

is ecstatic that he won the opportunity to DJ at Godskitchen in VIC on Oct 9th.. see you all there!

Times thanked
< 6
Definitely - I have seen DJs smash out 136bpm trance at 11pm when the night started at 10 and the headliner was on after them - ridiculous! It's about defrosting the room, not burning it!
baseade +

Times thanked
< 16
Ashley Caselle is the ultimate warmup dj - he always used to do a 2 hour warm up pre PVD 6 hour sets at Gatecrasher - was awesome.
Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
< 305
Totes right about not smashing it too soon. If people are chilling and catching up and pacing themselves if you go to hard, or too loud, you're going to chase them out. It's especially an issue with small places where everyone is outside in a beer garden and the interior is a ghost town. You want to coax them in.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Nice work! Definitely some good advice :D
MoRpH +

That VJ guy

Times thanked
< 1
Great piece, the art of the warmup DJ is being lost among young DJs that jsut want to play bangers from their laptop :-/ Hope some of them take Jay's advice
flippy +

rushproductions.com.au / facebook.com/djjed

Times thanked
< 285
Shit he's nailing all the stuff I agree with in the art of the warm-up set. Kudos Jaytech, you're the master of it :)
Yakk372 +

Times thanked
< 9
Definitely agree... I mean, it seems like promoters need to choose the DJ, but the DJ, at the end of it all, choose the tracks, and it should be up to him to play to a tempo that suits the time, and the following DJ.

After seeing James Zabiela this past weekend, I thought Luke Fitzgerald played very interesting music, but the end of his set was the wrong tempo for his slot (first of three international headliners), Alex Niggemann read it absolutely perfectly however, seamlessly picking up where Luke left off, kept the crowd interested, and took it maestro-like to the perfect tempo for JZ, and then still played some outro beats as James fixed his wiring; more power to that man.
realkirill +

Times thanked
< 9
haha, "as people get a few drinks in"
dizza +

Times thanked
< 1
i'm no warm up expert but isnt that kinda the point of being a warm up dj? only a complete selfish muppet would bang out what they want to hear early in the night, it also comes down to having respect for the organisers who allow you a slot on the night and at the end of the day if you fuck it up because you're selfish and want the attention all for yourself then 1. you're djing for the wrong reasons and 2. its doubtful that you'll be booked again to play for that promoter! (unless the promoter has the same small mind as you) :)
RaverSlut +

Times thanked
< 13
i saw jaytech dj over the weekend and let me tell you!! boy it was the worst gig i have ever been too.. and to top it off jaytech spat in the crowd.. what a disgusting pig..!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »