Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

Plasma Tv Buzzing

Tools
ether1988 +

Times thanked
< 98
Plasma Tv Buzzing
Hi guys,

So i am in the market for a new TV. Needs to be of a decent size..46inch+, as the room is pretty big.
My budget is around the 1k mark which i know is a bit limiting.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to decide between LCD and Plasma. (First world problem i know!)
I like the idea of plasma as you can get a big screen for a decent price. Only problem is the issue of glare off the screen and also the seemingly common problem of the unit 'buzzing'.

Has anyone here with a plasma experienced this buzzing? I know pretty much all plasmas emit a low buzzing noise but i have read a bunch of reviews where people state the noise is actually quite loud an annoying. It seems the Samsung is affected by this more than the Panasonics (so i would go for a Pana).

I have also been toying with the idea of buying a refurb model. Could this go horribly wrong and should i avoid this option at all costs?

Any advice or life experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ether
Charger +

No.

Times thanked
< 944
I've owned a 40" and 50" Samsung plasma (the most recent of which I got a couple of years ago), and have never had any audible buzzing at all. So if it's a thing, it must be a new thing.
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
I have a 51" Samsung, 6 months in, no buzzing. Glare is an issue though. I picked it up for $800, so, you will be able to get somethign decent around the $1k mark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
If you want a higher end LED backlit model but can't afford it, maybe consider a refurb from the graysonline Sony and Samsung outlet stores.

http://www.graysonline.com/computers...d-home-theatre

They have both ones for auction and ones that you can 'buy now' depending on what's available.

bought a Sony kdl46nx720 a couple of months ago, saved almost half the cost of buying new. Looks like new, came with unopened 3d glasses (i'm not sure if that was because they threw them in new or the previous owner didn't open them) and comes with 3 months warranty. There is an element of risk to that, but still a lot safer than buying second hand on ebay and the like.

edit: sorry, missed reading that you were considering a refurbed model.. along with the above-mentioned tv I'd also bought a Sony home theater system about a month or so later, couldn't be happier with it too. The only part that was used or showed any minor sign of wear (basically a hairline scratch) was the main unit. The speakers + sub + remote + wireless rear speaker transmitter were all brand new. I've had two good recent experiences and personally wouldn't hesitate purchasing from them again.

Also be aware that you will need to pay delivery fee (my 46" worked out to $30 in Sydney metro), and if it's an auction a buyers premium fee (which worked out to 42.60 for my home theater system with a final auction price of $284)

The TV I bought was with the 'buy now' system so there was no buyers premium.
Let Life Support and Dr Rudi do it right for you.

Last edited by diarx: 10-May-12 at 09:48pm

AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
< 9
Yeah i had buzzing on one of my old plasmas particularly with high white content on screen. Didn't really affect anything though other than being a bit irritating - just turned up the volume to mask out the buzzing. If room lighting and power consumption isn't a big problem for you plasma will always kill LCD in performance with no silly tricks needed to make it look good. Plus its cheaper ~ kinda high in the no-brainer dept
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
http://soundcloud.com/afrowhitie
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,030
I have a slight amount of buzzing as well on my Pioneer 50", but you never notice it when you're watching something at normal volume. I can only tell during super quiet scenes in movies, hardly a nuisance.
ether1988 +

Times thanked
< 98
Thanks for the posts guys.

I have settled on a refurb Samsung ua46d6600..so 46inch LCD/LED. Getting it for $1250 which seems decent and can pick it up. 1 year warrantly. In built wifi and a bunch of other 'smart tv' stuff.

I was so close to getting a plasma but i figured LCD would be better given the room its in get a heap of light.

I will report back with results.
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,426
I've now had my Samsung 50" Series 6 plasma for a year, no buzzing. The power supply did shit itself and I had it repaired under warranty though.

$1k will get you a nice TV these days. Mine was only $1030 delivered last year, from a super daily deal site.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

ether1988 +

Times thanked
< 98
So picked up the new TV yesterday. Everything went smoothly.
Unpacked and setup the TV and must say i am pretty happy with it. Only noticeable blemish is a tiny dent in the stand, other than that it is flawless. Works perfectly and the picture is fine. Not that i am an expert in the area.

1 year warranty so hopefully if anything craps out it withing 365 days!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »