wav. vs mp3

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
baax +

Times thanked
< 623

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

I always think “I should buy WAV”, but then I buy so seldomly, adding tracks to list every so often and then a solid 2 hour session finding more tracks, so often buy like 40+ at a time…and when all is said and done, adding an extra $1 per track to the total price hurts quite a bit so I stick to MP3

Stupid when I used to buy $20 12” singles all the fucking time, but there you go

I used to buy WAV all the time under the miss-guided assumption that I or the crowd could tell the difference, I haven't bought one in years.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,248

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren View Post

I know the feeling, i buy only WAV and Vinyl but i always freak out at the checkout when buying files but i never worry about the cost of vinyl!! maybe i'm just a little nuts!!

haha, vinyl is a tangible collectable though, it actually has some re-sale value and HUGE sentimental value...digital is just a bunch of fucking bits and bytes which end up just being lost on your gigs of HDD space

In many ways I love the digital age, but in many other ways I fucking loath it.
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren View Post

Not sure if driving a van over a RCA is a good idea but they are a rock solid RCA, i've been using them for a long time!
Yeah, American company but they use to make the XLR series here, i doubt they are still made here, Amphenol use to be over in Keysborough i think but i haven't been there since maybe 91.

They're still there. It used to be ITT Cannon. ITT Cannon used to make the original XLR connector (which they invented) in Melbourne and Japan. They sold the Melbourne factory to Alcatel in the early 90's (which is why you sometimes see old Alcatel XLR's that look identical to the ITT Cannon ones), then in the mid 90's Amphenol purchased the Alcatel connector division and factory. They still manufacture there...
http://amphenol.com.au/

P.S. I drove over an Amphenol RCA connector a couple of times with my van and apart from a couple of scratches on the outer shell, it didn't bend or squash. Still retained its original shape.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech View Post

They're still there. It used to be ITT Cannon. ITT Cannon used to make the original XLR connector (which they invented) in Melbourne and Japan. They sold the Melbourne factory to Alcatel in the early 90's (which is why you sometimes see old Alcatel XLR's that look identical to the ITT Cannon ones), then in the mid 90's Amphenol purchased the Alcatel connector division and factory. They still manufacture there...
http://amphenol.com.au/

P.S. I drove over an Amphenol RCA connector a couple of times with my van and apart from a couple of scratches on the outer shell, it didn't bend or squash. Still retained its original shape.

Awesome, i remember when they were all Cannons, lot of older techs still call XLR's Cannons.
That's cool, thanks for the story i was actually wondering about what the connection between Alcatel and Anphenol was!!!!

Yeah those cast casings are magic!!!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

haha, vinyl is a tangible collectable though, it actually has some re-sale value and HUGE sentimental value...digital is just a bunch of fucking bits and bytes which end up just being lost on your gigs of HDD space

In many ways I love the digital age, but in many other ways I fucking loath it.

Vinyl is an addiction, better than crack!!!

I too flip flop over the digital stuff, some times i love it, other times i get all "grumpy old man" bitchy and want my vinyl!!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Fantana +

Times thanked
< 0
For those still buying into the Monster (or any boutique cabling for that matter), a conductor is a conductor. You could use a super conductor and your audio will not improve in quality.

The only reason you hear a difference is because you dropped $100 a metre on those cables.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
I agree with the $100 per metre idea not being worth it but if you have good audio equipment you will be able to tell the difference between a $5 RCA cable and a $40 RCA cable! mind you it depends on wether you get a good cable or get ripped of by some HiFi salesman!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,481
Main thing I notice is the el cheapo cables seem to break a lot. I spent 20- 30 per cable and they seem sturdy.
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantana View Post

For those still buying into the Monster (or any boutique cabling for that matter), a conductor is a conductor. You could use a super conductor and your audio will not improve in quality.

The only reason you hear a difference is because you dropped $100 a metre on those cables.

Yes a conductor is a conductor and inductance, capacitance & resistance are just myths.
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlv View Post

Yes a conductor is a conductor and inductance, capacitance & resistance are just myths.

I detect sarcasm...

Personally I think Fantana needs to do a bit of research of low voltage electrical signal, particularly analog audio and how it can be deteriorated.

With anything in an analog audio signal chain, it can detoriate or add "colour" to the original signal.

NOTHING can improve audio signal quality from the source, it can only be maintained, which is actually the objective.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
I think the psycho-acoustics argument works both ways, some people just convince themselves they can't tell the difference in the same way some audiophiles convince themselves the couch is creating node and go out to buy a softer couch!!

Good cable is about $10/m ish plus connectors, ridiculous magical cables is $500/m plus magical potions, cheap cable is under $1/m and for the most part you do get what you pay for but hearing the difference will depend on the person and the rest of the system!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
The real question here should be - OP, have you bought some good tunes?
Dragon Dreaming Festival - 25-27 October @ Canberra - Prog/Psytrance

Soliton Drop Festival - 10-12 January @ NSW - Prog/Psytrance

Hard NV - 1 February - @NV Nightclub, Canberra - Hard Techno

Brotherhood - 8 February @Canberra Warehouse - Techno/Trance

Kazuki.com.au
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »