General

What to do about the bet?

View Poll Results: What to do about "outstanding" bet?
Pay Pigman, no damage done. 13 30.95%
Pay Pigman with interest. 17 40.48%
Fuck the haters, you were right. 2 4.76%
Some sort of alternative remedy should be formulated. 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Page 3 of 4
  Tools
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,426

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

Marshy, just questioning how much time you need to publish an e-book?

If you're aiming to get this published in print you've got about as much chance of losing 10/20 kg eg fuck all.

I'm not trolling, I'm being realistic.

So... the ebook?

It seems pretty easy to me.
Maybe I'm missing where you need to incur large costs that require a large funding of money.

http://www.geeksugar.com/How-Self-Pu...Ebook-21143432
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/

Last edited by Whitey1981: 28-May-12 at 07:43pm

Reason: Spelling

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

It seems pretty easy to me.
Maybe I'm missing where you need to incur large costs that require a large funding of money.

http://www.geeksugar.com/How-Self-Pu...Ebook-21143432

I want enough for print-on-demand hard copies, an edit, and manuscript appraisal. The variable is how many hard copies I need to print, this will depend on demand, hence the crowd-funding initiative to determine initial demand.

I'll do an ebook too, and believe me I've researched it, but part of me would like to have a hard copy option as well. And this initiative is geared towards both dreams.
Order my book Being Bi-Bi - a memoir on mental health and sexuality -here.
Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
< 1,179
Photo of pharmacy scales is fine. Same with just using it for the first and last weigh ins, if you're going to be O/S part way.
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Alright, last logistical consideration is clothes on the scales then? I guess if I wear the same clothes for first and last weigh-in I should be fine?
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,441

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshwah View Post

Alright, last logistical consideration is clothes on the scales then? I guess if I wear the same clothes for first and last weigh-in I should be fine?

Jeans, t-shirt, socks, no shoes, should give you a consistent baseline.
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Roger, roger.
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,386

Quote:

and one more to recoup money lost to Bism.

So it's clear and not ambiguous. I have to accept a taker on this thread, and will confirm..

Quote:

Originally Posted by CircusMidget View Post

I'll bet $200

if you win, I'll pay you $160.69 in 2 years, but only if you keep the weight off for that 2 years

please confirm
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
No deal. Next.
Fangoriously +

Times thanked
< 1,179
Right so.

Weigh in today?
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,313
I'm tempted by the $200 bet. I think it's easy money but I'd much rather see you succeed and lose the weight Marshall. Infact I'm even contemplating joining in the festivities and lose a couple of Kgs myself... mainly just to rub it in that I did it if/when you fail.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 866
As a person interested in health and well being, I'll be following this thread, again.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangoriously View Post

Right so.

Weigh in today?

Yes.

But the pharmacy scales are no-go, I went past three pharmacies on the way to work today and no-dice.
If anyone knows of pharmacy scales near Pyrmont, Sydney, I can do it.

Alternatives are to purchase some scales and entrust a third party to ensure they are tamper-proof, or if Mike-O-Sito has a set, I can get weighed and he can play arbitrator as I'm temporarily flatting with him.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,441

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post

I'm tempted by the $200 bet. I think it's easy money but I'd much rather see you succeed and lose the weight Marshall. Infact I'm even contemplating joining in the festivities and lose a couple of Kgs myself... mainly just to rub it in that I did it if/when you fail.

I have to admit the level of smug I'm basking in at the moment as an ex-tubby is quite pleasureable.
Fangoriously +

Times thanked
< 1,179

Quote:

Yes.

But the pharmacy scales are no-go, I went past three pharmacies on the way to work today and no-dice.

Alternatives are to purchase some scales and entrust a third party to ensure they are tamper-proof, or if Mike-O-Sito has a set, I can get weighed and he can play arbitrator as I'm temporarily flatting with him.

Not your room mate. Official scales need to be held by some disinterested 3rd party.

I nominate John Biggs to hold onto them. Lololol.

Ok I don't.

I dunno, though - someone that we both know and trust....

B-Money?
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
All good, apparently there is scales at Harbourside in Pyrmont. Going to check out at lunch.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,883
Dexa scan before and after. Takes all the variables out.
Bism +

Times thanked
< 18,216

Quote:

Yes.

Try and find one of these, they're in most malls/pharmacies. It will give you a nice printout and is a lot more science than some $20 bathroom scales.

Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
Agree with Ed, DEXA scan would be the most reliable and valuable source of data for this exercise. But the scales Bism pointed out would work too.

And for waht its worth, I'm not going to join this betting malarky, because seeing Marshy on a regulat basis, and some of the things he is doing with his life right no, I am almost certain he can do this. I will though, be part of the crowd funding, but that was always the case.

:brofist:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

Fangoriously +

Times thanked
< 1,179
If you're so certain, chuck your money up.
Morphee +

Times thanked
< 3,987
Alright, Marshy, I'm in on the bet, on the proviso that if you dont make the 20kg, I'm not taking your money.

Gentlemans agreement or somesuch.

Quote:

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

Bism +

Times thanked
< 18,216
Yeah you clearly don't know how bets work.
Fangoriously +

Times thanked
< 1,179
Yep. If you're so sure, take the guy's money.

Consider it extra motivation for him - if he doesn't do it, he lets down someone who is presumably a good mate.

Shit man, that'd motivate me to put the pint down and waddle around the block a few times.
Morphee +

Times thanked
< 3,987
Bism - Bet you $100 I do.

Quote:

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Morphee - if you don't want to take the money you can donate my funds to charity. But I think it needs to be a plain and fair bet, I appreciate the gesture (and your kind words earlier) but I think we need to ensure the stakes are high and transparent for this.
Bism +

Times thanked
< 18,216
I remember the old days when I dropped 20kg purely because I decided men should not have tits.

Simpler times.
Morphee +

Times thanked
< 3,987
Ok, I'm in on the bet.

Quote:

Morphee +

Times thanked
< 3,987

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism View Post

I remember the old days when I dropped 20kg purely because I decided men should not have tits.

Simpler times.

I did that and still have tits.

Spose I could lose another 20kg....

Quote:

Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

Ok, I'm in on the bet.

Confirmed. One spot left.
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
< 381
Sounds like a hell of a challenge!
Good luck mate!
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,441

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I did that and still have tits.

Spose I could lose another 20kg....

I used to think I'd look pretty awesome if I lost 5-10kg, I ended up losing twice that and I could still strip a few more off. We're pretty good at bullshitting ourselves about how fat we are.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,441

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike-O-Sito View Post

Sounds like a hell of a challenge!
Good luck mate!

You've done it recently, so he's got no excuse not to follow your example!
trAse +

He'll never be an old man rafter

Times thanked
< 13,968
What's going on? Weight loss challenge? What are the rules?
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
Rogan Josh +

Lizards in my telly.

Times thanked
< 2,619

Quote:

Originally Posted by trAse View Post

What's going on? Weight loss challenge? What are the rules?

100 bucks a tit, to fund a book about men with tits.

You in?
trAse +

He'll never be an old man rafter

Times thanked
< 13,968
Oh, we getting our transgender on? I'm fucking in.
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,883

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism View Post

Simpler times.

8 months ago I think my advice on google plus was "Fuck bets, do it because it's the right thing to do you drama queen"

I think it's still valid.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,256
I liked the bit about Google Plus. I don't think you'll do it Marshy; mainly because of the euro trip and how much booze you'll be tucking away. I wish you luck in both endeavors though.
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 2,007
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,260
While the success stories are well-documented, there is a growing list of stillborn projects where money has been collected by the project owner (95 per cent) and by Kickstarter (five per cent) but donors haven't received their promised returns.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/busines...#ixzz1wDvSX7Ef
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
Oh dayam, he's living with that dude who lost 19kg?

Spoiler:
Media Player
The Wedding Singer Brought to my attention yesterday - YouTube
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Bism +

Times thanked
< 18,216
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Okay, it's officially on. Details here.
crabman +

I might be a **** but I'm not a fucking ****.

Times thanked
< 8,299

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Anyone wanna give me $200 on losing 20kg in 6 months? I'll even let you backdate the bet to late january so it ends in a couple of months....

I'll do it and backdate, so people can pay me now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

الاستماع إلى ... ال التنفس المدينة.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
Just chucking out some harder questions as I'm sure this isn't the last time you'll be asked them.

Why aren't you getting a manuscript appraisal before you're asking people for money to fund self publishing? Surely you're putting the cart before the horse?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't your manuscript already be rejected by a publisher/s?

Also, why wouldn't you have had your manusript edited before sending it to a publisher?

Basically there doesn't seem like much that makes this seem like a good investment at this point...?

edit: also, why are you worried about print on demand at this point? You are making the assumption you are going to sell enough copies that it warrants the investment of hundreds of dollars. From where I'm sitting you are being overly optimistic and perhaps aren't going about this the best way.
Jackie Kennedy would not have camel toe!
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by smilla View Post

Just chucking out some harder questions as I'm sure this isn't the last time you'll be asked them.

Why aren't you getting a manuscript appraisal before you're asking people for money to fund self publishing? Surely you're putting the cart before the horse?

I am.

Quote:

"Book fund" in this case will be an account manged by me to help self-publish my book.

Self-publish in this case will mean having it appraised, edited, cover design, getting an ISBN, other miscellaneous things, and eventually print-on-demanded.

Quote:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't your manuscript already be rejected by a publisher/s?

While parties have been approached to gauge interest, none of them have seen a manuscript. (A lot of feedback has been sourced from ITM for it though).

Quote:

Also, why wouldn't you have had your manusript edited before sending it to a publisher?

I think you're jumping ahead, I haven't sent it to a publisher, and I'm not even looking at having it edited yet. It's still not finished.

Quote:

Basically there doesn't seem like much that makes this seem like a good investment at this point...?

Cool. Don't invest. I don't know what you would invest in as I haven't even opened it up to investment. However, some good gentlemen on this forum decided they wanted to wager I couldn't lose 20 kilos, and kindly offered to put money up for the book if I delivered on this.

Forgive me if the opportunity to put $800 towards my dream has me putting my running shoes on.

Quote:

edit: also, why are you worried about print on demand at this point? You are making the assumption you are going to sell enough copies that it warrants the investment of hundreds of dollars. From where I'm sitting you are being overly optimistic and perhaps aren't going about this the best way.

I think you need to bone up on print-on-demand. After going to the Emerging Writers Festival - I picked up on a lot of things, and one of them is that going down the traditional publisher's path is not how I want to do things.

Thanks for chucking out the "harder" questions - I find it a little condescending that you've jumped to the conclusion I haven't considered all of this already.
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,313
I'd double like your post if I could Marshy
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
Considering you're on here offering investment opportunities in your manuscript (don't worry, I wasn't waiting for an investment invitation; however, you did start an ITM thread so the general public can read it), it surprised me that you would be asking people to invest in something that clearly hasn't even been tested by someone who can actually provide you with an informed opinion on your work (sorry ITM feedback wouldn't count to a normal person, nor would friends, nor people who just like to read).

Therefore I was scratching my head, because most people who are serious about (self, whatever kind) publishing their work work really hard at their craft, finish their book, belong to critique groups, get manuscript assessments, etc etc before they are so confident about their own skills that they start selling shares in their book. This confidence that you seem to have in your own success at this early point (ie. you haven't finished your book), indicates to me that you have an overabunance of confidence and haven't actually considered a lot of the important things. Sorry if you find that condescending.

And no, just because I work for a publisher, doesn't mean I think everyone should use a publisher, but I do think that everyone that self publishes should be armed with a fuckload of strategies and knowledge to do the best for their book (and in your case, your investors).

HOWEVER, if this is just a "hey everyone lets play an ITM game and give Marshy monies for his book" type scenario, then please ignore any serious thought I've given to this situation. I've obviously completely missed the mark and will get back in my box
Jackie Kennedy would not have camel toe!
Clonakilla +

Times thanked
< 45
Are there any excerpts floating around?
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clonakilla View Post

Are there any excerpts floating around?

Just this. Will release excerpts when the crowd-funding starts in earnest.
Marshwah +

Playing to win

Times thanked
< 701
Oh Lordy. *cracks fingers*

Quote:

Considering you're on here offering investment opportunities in your manuscript

What's currently happened is that I have mentioned my intention to crowd-fund something that's in the works. I don't know what your preoccupation with the word "invest" is. There's no investment. A wager has been made and takers have come (after offering first).

Quote:

(don't worry, I wasn't waiting for an investment invitation;

I wasn't worried.

Quote:

however, you did start an ITM thread so the general public can read it),

Thanks for pointing out that I posted a public post in a public Internet forum so the public can read it. Thanks.

Quote:

it surprised me that you would be asking people to invest in something that clearly hasn't even been tested by someone who can actually provide you with an informed opinion on your work

There's that word invest again. What are you? A venture capitalist that shits on really microscopic ideas? Sourcing an informed opinion of my work (as well as the inputs of friends and family who have a pretty good dial on my personal life) is something I'm doing. I'm not sure if you're reeling from the smackdown I delivered and just repeating yourself with different words or are actually contesting that I'm not already doing this stuff. Just because I announce some of what I'm doing on ITM doesn't mean I'm not doing more?

It's at this point of your post, I start to question your motives for posting at all.

Quote:

(sorry ITM feedback wouldn't count to a normal person, nor would friends, nor people who just like to read).

You just made my head explode. Are you saying ITM people are different to normal people? And different from people who just like to read? Here's a foreign notion, what if someone from ITM is a normal person and likes to read? Boom.

Quote:

Therefore I was scratching my head, because most people who are serious about (self, whatever kind) publishing their work work really hard at their craft, finish their book, belong to critique groups, get manuscript assessments, etc etc before they are so confident about their own skills that they start selling shares in their book.

I've spent 4+ years pouring my life into a memoir and broadcasting personal details to the world, I've encountered trolls, been told to kill myself, and even had a mailed note delivered to me of a handwritten play about infecting me with AIDS. And still, this is up there with some of the most condescending things I've ever read. To question my seriousness in this project is not only wrong, it's insulting.

Quote:

This confidence that you seem to have in your own success at this early point (ie. you haven't finished your book), indicates to me that you have an overabunance of confidence and haven't actually considered a lot of the important things. Sorry if you find that condescending.

I'm sorry if I have the courage to put myself out there and have a go at something. I'm not the first-person ever to try and crowd-fund an unfinsihed book. Yes I'm confident, but your conclusions about what I am and aren't doing based on limited knowledge is ridiculous.

Quote:

And no, just because I work for a publisher, doesn't mean I think everyone should use a publisher, but I do think that everyone that self publishes should be armed with a fuckload of strategies and knowledge to do the best for their book (and in your case, your investors).

I bolded it for you. Achievement unlocked. Love how you slipped it in. Bravo.

Quote:

HOWEVER, if this is just a "hey everyone lets play an ITM game and give Marshy monies for his book" type scenario, then please ignore any serious thought I've given to this situation. I've obviously completely missed the mark and will get back in my box

You're right to call this a game. Gamification is an interesting concept and has seen crowd-funding explode.

I started a thread to see what to do about a particular situation, and people offered a wager. I accepted. That's all there is to it so far.
Bism +

Times thanked
< 18,216
Why don't you just save up some money and marshfund it?
Page 3 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »