The DJ Booth

So I want to learn to mix vinyl

Tools
golfr +

Times thanked
< 0
So I want to learn to mix vinyl
So I have had CDJs for 3 - 4 years now but I would like to have a crack using vinyl djing in its puriest form.

1. What are the best places in Sydney to purchase wax

2. What are decent tt to purchase.

3 Is there any thing else I need eg needles etc.

Hoping there are some members that could provide some details ......
baax +

Times thanked
< 624
Nice one mate, enjoy the simple pleasure that comes from mixing wax.

Can't help you with Sydney record stores but if you know what you are looking for Discogs and Ebay are the good, also there are some good euro stores that ship for a decent dollar when you buy a few tunes.

If I was starting out I'd be getting a pair of these
https://www.storedj.com.au/products/STN-STR8150

Couldn't go wrong with them as a new item though for the money you would be able to pick up some second hand 1200's, 1210's

Don't worry too much about stylus/carts when you are kicking off, you will probably be abusing them a bit, standard Stanton stuff will do.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
You can usually get some technics 1200s (pair) for about $1000, if you're lucky you will get some headshells/stylii at the same time.

Vinyl sales are pretty hard to find (especially here in Brisbane) but you will find a shop or two that has them, for anything new or fresh i suggest building up a shopping cart on a UK site to save on postage and get your vinyl delivered.

Have fun!
Tech-One
Teknikall +

Times thanked
< 443
What sort of tunes do you want to be mixing? I have a few hundred tunes that need an owner

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
< 4,515

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

If I was starting out I'd be getting a pair of these
https://www.storedj.com.au/products/STN-STR8150

Yeh these are good! They feel solid and seem to handle a beating.

I'd probably go the curved arm though as it helps the needle track on the vinyl. Not sure if it's a big deal, or if it's only for people who scratch?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,327
Don't scratch DJs prefer straight tone arms tho? Always wondered what the difference was.

If you can find a second hand pair of technics cheaper than a pair of the Stantons listed above, which you should be able to do if you're patient, do that, they're built like tanks and easily serviced to get them back to new even if things are dodgy on them
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Garydose +

Times thanked
< 120
Yeah straight arms are for scratch DJ's, they track better and are shorter so don't use as much real estate on the platter.

I switched from digital to CD's then to vinyl only and I think it was what my DJing really needed, I appreciate my tracks a lot more now (I suppose because i've gotta order from the UK at roughly 10 pounds a pop!) and I find I really listen to songs a lot now and get a fell for them before whacking them on (not too mention the great feeling of opening a delivery of fresh wax)

I also find a real joy in buying second hand vinyl from blokes around Sydney. Recently I learnt of a DJ selling his 2000+ strong collection so I went to his place and sat on his floor for an hour going through some of his records. Some might say driving 40 mins to a strangers house then sitting on his floor going through records is stupid when you can do it all from home on beatport, but it's something I really enjoy and a great way to meet people with similar interests. That day I ended up with 49 records for $150 including some real gems (and I didn't even go through half of what he had) and all for a price that per track is on par with digital download. The best part is getting your new records home and listening to them all over an evening with a bottle of whiskey.

As for decks, you should be able to pick up a decent pair of 1200's for around 1K
My sickest mix brah heaps of sick beatz u mirin? - http://soundcloud.com/johnbanana/gil...lipse-mix-2012
bradj88 +

Times thanked
< 26
I bought straight arm str8 150's and I mostly just mix using timecode but also spin a bit of vinyl. Apparently they wear records out a little bit quicker but are pretty much un skip-able and you don't need anti skate. You should only use a spherical needle on them due to the angle of the tone arm as it tracks the inside grooves. I doubt the difference is much though considering most people that mix or scratch probably turn the anti skate to 0 or set it up wrong in the first place. Another advantage of the straight arm is you need less weight on the cart for it to stick. The S arms would be better though if you want to use it for listening with a hi fi cart.
golfr +

Times thanked
< 0
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. @ teknikall Im in Sydney

« Previous Thread Next Thread »