Music News

Avicii's U.S. arena tour: too big too soon?

Tools
Snap Kelly +

Times thanked
< 16
seriously.. why is his stage a mask?
412nv +

Times thanked
< 8
SHM have spent a good 4-5 Years building their brand that allowed them to pull off the MSG show. Im sorry, though 20000 people aren't going to see Avicii play levels and 4 other of his songs in every city.
josh_goods +

Times thanked
< 58
capitalism at its finest
Ben Royal +

Times thanked
< 127
The fact that his live show is really pointless, has no relevance to him or his music, does not have the slightest bit of innovation all has nothing to do with it?
gront +

Times thanked
< 10
Firstly, lol.

Secondly, I just thought this was a bad idea from the start. Mainly in regards to what @412nv said. I mean if you look at guys like tiesto, armin, SHM (who only did like 2 arena gigs not an entire tour) and Deadmau5, they have consistently been releasing music (good or bad) and slowly building over the years and generally starting with somewhat cult-followings. Which i guess is why Tiesto was able to fill stadiums even before this EDM explosion in america and 'trouse'.

If you look at Avicii overall, his rise has been exponential and thus short-lived and his few production's have been inconsistent - besides levels and bromance i can't name many other songs by this guy. Which brings up my next point, not having enough of your own stuff is not that its a huge issue, part of the beauty of DJing is you get to play other people's music. For example, if you look at guys like Digweed or Hawtin (although they do boast an extensive catalogue of releases) their extended 2-9 hour sets nowdays consist largely of other people's music.

But i guess that's where the sentiments of Armin come into play. If you are going to see a DJ in an arena gig or indeed play more than 2hours anywhere, its not enough to be bouncing to pop hits the entire time. Sure you want to hear a DJ's big tracks but if you are gonna stick around to the end of a gig you need at least some sort of sequence structure, which i don't think Avicii can do. And i don't mean he is incapable of it, just the fact that people who would buy tix to see his arena gig wouldn't know what to do if he did start playing anything other than pop-y vocals, catchy riffs, well known samples and mashups with other 'big names'.

I kinda feel bad for the guy (cue the scorns from other ITMers), he got big too quickly off bad music, and seems like he may be a victim of his own success and ambition in regards to this tour (albeit a very rich victim).
MikeyO +

Times thanked
< 0
No offense but if you have seen avicii more then 1 time your going to realize that 90% of his tracks are going to be the same as the last time you saw him.... and if you have his set from EDC NY or LV your going to have the exact set he's going to play... his lighting is decent but he does not hold the same kind of stage presence that SHM, Deadmau5, or Tiesto have... He is a subpar DJ who makes SOME good beats but looks timid when he is in the booth as opposed to the swede's who are standing on the decks getting the crowd involvled with one of the sickest light shows i have ever seen... i think Avicii could have probably stacked his lineup with better artists also to help boost ticket sales,,,
algal89 +

Times thanked
< 0
Not just the average people can go to his show, floor seats are 90 bucks for a 2 hour set. Thats crazy. I'm a fan of his music but thats a lot of money to pay to see ANYONE play for 2 hours. Was Levels a good song? Sure but its sooooooooooo overplayed that anyone who actually cares about and listens to electronic music does not want to hear that song again.
josh_goods +

Times thanked
< 58
you know, before his blow up he was actually a really talented DJ... if any of you got to see him at the good vibes after party in 2010 (he didn't even get on the festival line up), or knew him before 'bromance' and 'levels' you would be where i am. @gront goes to show the superficial fan base he has built, that don't even see what else he has produced - not that he bothers to play it - before going to his gigs. one step forward, refer, electric masturbation, dukkha... a whole differrent dj
what he use to do and be is nothing like what he is, and now its caught up with him. who knows? this might be the catalyst for a 'welcome return to his sources'
asadi +

Times thanked
< 3
A set of more than two hours separates the djs from the hype. Avicii is of the hype.
Codi +

Times thanked
< 0
20,000 people is unrealistic. It seems like who ever had this idea was thinking that all of the people who show up to festivals we're going to go to an Avicii tour as well. Avicii has some good songs, and his name is everywhere, but you're not going to get anywhere near 20,000 people per show.
rubbishtalk +

Times thanked
< 11
Maybe people are just waking up to the fact that they're asking to be paid good money to see some guy do hardly any mixing behind some giant LED head and fist pump and playing the same rubbish commercial set every times... It's a good thing that this stadium tour is a failure... gives me hope that people are waking up to this crap!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »