The Music Studio

Some Simple Things (that I can't do) On Reason 6

Tools
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,396
Some Simple Things (that I can't do) On Reason 6
Well, I've been making music with it for a bit, but need some help with some stuff.

1. How can you alter the pitch without changing the speed of the vocal stem?

2. How can you change the speed of the vocal without changing the pitch? Related to 1.

3. Are there any videos showing you how to take the bottom end (or mid, or top) out of a kick, clap, hihat, tom, etc, and mash it with another kick, clap, etc to make a new sound?

Obviously easy questions for you guys - just trying to find my feet on R6
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Haven't tried myself, but could you:

1. Import the audio file, add a neptune device, shit it down or up however semitones and adjust the formant to make it sound slightly more natural.

2. If you make drastic changes then you're going to change the pitch. But resize clips by holding ctrl when you drag the start or end point of it. Whichever way you go about dragging it will either slow down (lengthen the clip) or speed up (shorten the clip).

3. Use either M-Class Stereo Imager, set it to Hi band solo and adjust the frequency nob. Otherwise the Thor has a HP filter which you can route anything throuhg, or the SSL mixer has built in HP filters.
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
< 623
Mebbe you can change the pitch or tempo of the other tracks to match the vocal, instead of the other way round?
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,396
Thanks fewsion, just doing Blind by Georgia Fair now - it really helped.
djjass +

Times thanked
< 4
This is a very general question, but I know for example you can do this with Abelton's own built in ptich morph, you can also use pitch bend which is a vst that i've used a few times. I'm sure Cubase, Logic ect have some built in pitch modifications for audio or sample audio files.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Any pitch bending you do leaves you with formants that are way off. Unless you're using a Melodyne equivalent, I think Ableton's pitch transposition suffers if moved only two or three semitones in the formant department.

Conor, no probs, love to hear some Reason questions on here. Still coming to terms with version 6 myself. It's a quick learning curve though really, I stayed away from it for too long for fear of the three windows (SSL, seq, rack) but it's sensational. I just wish that there was some more effective stretching functions. I find the razor tool and the visuals for the audio waveforms are too difficult to do any serious time correction in.
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,396
Is there any pitch change plugins (preferably free) that can change the pitch of an audio form like a pitch bend on Maelstrom i.e. slowly and smoothly? Do you know Fewsion?
Someone mentioned the vst 'pitch bend' before, but I want a slowly lowering pitch. I might do some research later today anyway myself when I get time anyway.
dyLABs +

Times thanked
< 22
if you're on osx there is a free built in pitch shifting AU from apple
Melbourne Acid - Acidboxblues
Beatport
Facebook
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
< 623
If you trigger the audio sample via a sample player (eg. Kontakt, Alchemy) you can assign real-time timestetching and pitch MIDI control.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conor- View Post

Is there any pitch change plugins (preferably free) that can change the pitch of an audio form like a pitch bend on Maelstrom i.e. slowly and smoothly? Do you know Fewsion?
Someone mentioned the vst 'pitch bend' before, but I want a slowly lowering pitch. I might do some research later today anyway myself when I get time anyway.

Working inside Reason, do as suggested for other DAWs and load the audio file into a sampler (NN-XT, NN-19, even a Redrum) and use it's pitch bend wheel. You'll run into problems with formants if it's for a vocal line which would make it sound rather odd, but it can work (thinking the Knife's vocals).
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,396
Sorry, formants? Still caching up with the phrases and lingo.

I only need it for one part of the song, so it shoud be sweet. Ta guys.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
You know if you play something in slow motion, the voice sounds really deep and warbley, or if it's pitched up it'll sound like chipmunks? That's the difference I mean when referring to formants. You can pitch down a vocal to a new semitone or up one, but once you move more than three or four it'll start to take on a different sound altogether.
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,396
Ah, yes. Forever learning. I sort of want a Jamie XX kinda pitch change. Do you know? Kinda like what he's done in hear. Is this a different formant?

Media Player
Jamie xx - Far Nearer (out now on Numbers, NMBRS10) - YouTube
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Absolutely.
Conor- +

Times thanked
< 1,396
That could be good.