General

Do ppl realise that EDM is NOT a genre ... this is y everything is sounding the same

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
sweetmiserii +

sigh

Times thanked
< 0
Do ppl realise that EDM is NOT a genre ... this is y everything is sounding the same
I am sick of seeing people talk about how much they all love EDM on blog sites, I am finding it is another American thing… EDM please explain!!!?
What do they think EDM is?
It is NOT a genre … it is stands for Electronic Dance Music, which is a stupid broad term, used by people who are too ignorant to identify different styles or genres of electronic music.
Before Americans became more interested in “raves” and whatever not.. the term EDM was hardly ever used. Now it is all I ever hear! Before people would refer to what it was that they exactly liked, eg: House, Electro, Trance, Hardstyle, dubstep ect. Now thanks to the ignorance of it all, it is sounding like all these genres are all been jumbled into one and just being referred to as EDM. DJ's seem to be guilty of doing this too, with Ferry Corsten quoting "we all just make EDM" ... ah so no longer Trance now hey Ferry?

Each of these electronic music genres are unique in their own way, they are all DIFFERENT for a reason & they should stay true to what they are - not be mixed in with other styles.
I do not understand how people can sit there and claim they are all so damn passionate about "EDM!" I don’t think many people actually appreciate nor understand the difference between the different styles of "EDM"!
In saying this please note that I am NOT saying you can’t like more than one form of electronic music, I am just finding it difficult to understand how you can feel the same listening to completely different styles- when they are all made to make you feel different.
Trance : euphoric, emotional. Made to take you on a journey.
House: Go nuts and party
Dubstep: I don’t even know what you’re meant to feel from that (only because i do not like it)
Hardstyle: louder aggressive fast paced music made to make you want to dance

I am a trance fan, I LOVE my trance. When I go out to events I take in every moment of it, I feel the music, I am moved by it, it sends chills through my body. It takes me off to another world….. and this is why I LOVE trance & have now for many years.
Other styles of “EDM” are not made to do this, so therefore I do not like them as much, I would not say that I do or put it in the same category as trance as they are completely different.

Ignorance and lack of understanding, feeling and PASSION that is claimed to have wouldn't bother me if it was not destroying these individual genres.
I have been noticing a drastic change in Trance over the years, and it all seemed to begin when the focus of electronic music was moved away from Europe over to America.
Lack of appreciation, respect and knowledge of the genre encourages DJs to ruin what was once a beautiful thing by making it more main stream to appeal people… and ofcourse people with no real love give them a positive reaction as they don’t understand any better.
DJs work off the crowd and fan responses and i believe people are giving them the wrong idea.. It is NOT fair. I believe people are attending these massive music festivals in America where all these DJs are playing without any true understanding of the DJs origin, so when a trance DJ drops some common, boring, simplistic mainstream, techy house and/or dubstep beat the crowd love, not knowing any better giving the wrong impression. A trance fan I do not believe would give the same reaction. I understand change is needed to grow and expand and change will always happen... but with the way things are heading now, there will no longer be trance, as these new sounds do not follow any of the basic structure and feeling that makes trance what it is! If DJ's ignore the structure and sounds that makes up their certain genre, then how will we identify the differences... we may aswell just be calling everything that is electronic music EDM!!! I know I do not want that... It is NOT just EDM….. It is trance..!

All I am saying is.. go research your shit, listen its history, find out what the genre REALLY is and appreciate it before proclaiming your 'love' for it.... or if you don’t like it STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM IT and FIND SOMETHING YOU DO LIKE.

A&B lovers, go listen to early above and beyond NOT just group therapy… because their earlier stuff is what trance is!…Then see for yourself how much it has changed! If you don't like their earlier stuff go listen to some house as that is what the new trance is starting to sound like... you may like that more.
Leave the trance to the true fans before it is destroyed by people who wont even care about it in a years time.
DON’T CLAIM TO LOVE SOMETHING YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT AS YOU DO NOT REALISE THE IMPACT YOU ARE HAVING!

Really I do not think it should really have to come to this, but trance is such a unique style of music... not just dance music or electronic music.. but music!
These 'changes' are stripping away the elements, slowly, one by one that make trance the beautiful thing it is till there will be nothing left of it. There are already other genres to cater for these sounds, but if trance DJ's keep insisting on feeding these dull sounds into trance for more popularity ... then it is time for us to take the stand and stop feeding into it. Make them realise that trance will not die, that there are still people out there who love and appreciate it for the pure and beautiful thing it is, and that there are many more new people that can join the trance family who will have that same love and appreciation!!!

Basically.... keep each genre to their own. Realise what makes each different and stop mixing them into one. Keep Trance, Trance .... Not just EDM!

In Trance We Trust <3

Peace x

Last edited by sweetmiserii: 29-Sep-12 at 10:54am

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,946
Wow ... butthurt trance fan has rant on internet forum.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Villephant +

Can't see

Times thanked
< 1,455
sometimes i wish people would just be done with genres... good music is good music...
though i don't really do that when i mix, my mixes will be genre specific...
i enjoyed your definition of genres...

Quote:

Trance : euphoric, emotional. Made to take you on a journey.
House: Go nuts and party
Dubstep: I don’t even know what you’re meant to feel from that (only because i do not like it)
Hardstyle: louder aggressive fast paced music made to make you want to dance

seriously good stuff right here... without actually describing genres you have described them beautifully
good work...
(that is the only part of this rant i read btw)
Villephant - 2014-02 It's still 2, it's still 2!
InfraDread - Lover's Jungle
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,120
I've used the umbrella term of EDM for years, or electronica to people who don't listen to any EDM as I don't need to explain the acronym.

but yeah, the rant is strong with this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,208
i love EDM. I use the term because i love so many different genres it'd be quite boring to list them all when any knob asked what you listen to

the term is valid. lay off the beans.
agvicsa +

Times thanked
< 373
"sweetmiserii is a 21 year old girl from VIC, Australia" ..... says it all really.
Hard-drinking, party-rebel, known for his irreverent attitude, wild antics & a flair for turning friends into enemies, is asking for an unspecified amount of compensatory, exemplary & punitive damages
Gruso +

Times thanked
< 17,384

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetmiserii View Post

IEach of these electronic music genres are unique in their own way, they are all DIFFERENT for a reason & they should stay true to what they are - not be mixed in with other styles.

Literally Hitler.
dragonsfire +

Times thanked
< 33

i only got through half funkedub is correct
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
< 2,894

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetmiserii View Post

A&B lovers, go listen to early above and beyond NOT just group therapy… because their earlier stuff is what trance is!…Then see for yourself how much it has changed! If you don't like their earlier stuff go listen to some house as that is what the new trance is starting to sound like... you may like that more.
Leave the trance to the true fans before it is destroyed by people who wont even care about it in a years time.
DON’T CLAIM TO LOVE SOMETHING YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT AS YOU DO NOT REALISE THE IMPACT YOU ARE HAVING!

Media Player
Regurgitator - I Like Ur Old Stuff Better Than Ur New Stuff - YouTube

yeah, what's with all these artists changing styles / trying new things.... once they've got a sound their fans like they should just stick with that
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
Warn-A-Brotha +

Times thanked
< 253

Quote:

on blog sites

There is your problem.
Stop reading. Go out more.

Also - hardstyle isn't meant to be aggressive, its all these drop kick death metal wankers that switched to hardcore / hardstyle that must have it "ROUGH AND RAW" ruining it for everyone.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
< 3,946
This article indicates that techno is for blacks and trance is for white folks : http://www.differencebetween.net/mis...no-and-trance/

Therefore ... OP must be white.

funkedub dot com

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,435

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warn-A-Brotha View Post

There is your problem.
Stop reading. Go out more.

Also - hardstyle isn't meant to be aggressive, its all these drop kick death metal wankers that switched to hardcore / hardstyle that must have it "ROUGH AND RAW" ruining it for everyone.

Huh? Hardstyle was always pretty aggressive until it made the switch to the newer sound and stopped using reverse bass.

Also I like how the op said hardstyle is fast

It's funny because I use the blanket term edm as well, but half the shit I listen to is fucking hard to dance to
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,004
trance kids get so emotional

soundcloud
mixcloud
Jehovahs Fitness +

GANGNAM STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 5,621
oooh oooh do Metal next!
Vital +

Times thanked
< 81
I've never read a Trance Supremacist tirade until now. Keeping trance pure and sticking to your own genre; sounds like trance fans are taking notes from the Klan.
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,670
lol what a fuckin lame thread.

when someone says they like EDM they generally mean they like many forms of EDM.

its like someone saying they like ROCK, they can mean indie, punk, hard, soft, etc etc. but they like it all so they just say they like rock.

quit whinging and change your nappy fgt.
http://soundcloud.com/jarrardscott
dn-ul +

yooo

Times thanked
< 1,174
tranc3 sux
http://www.triplejunearthed.com/DanJohn
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,489
meh, I've always said i'm into 'dance' or 'electronic' music. only if i knew the person asking me was also into dance music would i get in to sub genres.
also, loltrance.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
Can we please stop calling Trance music as well?

It's highly unfair to all other forms of music to get lumped in with Trance.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,004
and for the record EDM is a genre in itself. just a 'rock' is a genre, 'classical' is a genre.
its like the collective noun for dance music

like a gaggle of house music or a murder of dubstep
soundcloud
mixcloud
Teknikall +

Times thanked
< 440
it's all techno brah

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,902

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vital View Post

I've never read a Trance Supremacist tirade until now. Keeping trance pure and sticking to your own genre; sounds like trance fans are taking notes from the Klan.

If it aint white, it aint right
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,902
Media Player
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
Who cares what it's called, if you love it, you love it.

I used to think dubstep was ruined when all that tear-out stuff started, but then I looked again, and the sounds I liked were still being made (getdarker init!)

Same with dnb, I stopped liking Ram/Hospital when RAM/Hosptial turned dancefloor , but then looked again and a few other labels had stepped up to the plate bla bla

SO moral of the story. I'm sure someone in your genre is still djing how you like, just look again!
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,489
^ exactly, if you were in to trance but now upset the big name trance dj's are now playing 'edm' instead of straight up trance, go find some dj's more to your style.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,435
You're trancefan?

How many other aliases do you have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,386

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

lol what a fuckin lame thread.

when someone says they like EDM they generally mean they like many forms of EDM.

its like someone saying they like ROCK, they can mean indie, punk, hard, soft, etc etc. but they like it all so they just say they like rock.

quit whinging and change your nappy fgt.

Surprised noone has mentioned this yet.
Fuzzy Rainbow +

OMG are you serious?

Times thanked
< 1,899
I had no idea what this EDM actually meant. Until i was bored enough to read the initial post lol.

TRANCE RULES 4 EVA
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,208
to the OP:
this tune is almost as old as you. EDM was better back then. nobody knew what genres were

Media Player
Gary 138D - Slammin' (Cut The Midrange) - YouTube
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
< 3,178
trance is the worst
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
Funkedub +

Times thanked
< 3,946

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

nobody knew what genres were

A point worth highlighting.

Once upon a time, techno and trance were one in the same for the most part ... fuck, you could even have breakbeats in it!!

We made pretty good doof doof in Aus in '92

Media Player
Vision 4/5 - Stormtrooper - YouTube

funkedub dot com

Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,509
Well it is a damn sight better than people referring to any sort of Electronic Music as ‘Techno’
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
it's not even tuesday
Lambretta +

Now Aussie....STILL dodgy

Times thanked
< 922

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

i love EDM. I use the term because i love so many different genres it'd be quite boring to list them all when any knob asked what you listen to

the term is valid. lay off the beans.

Rubbish Nismo, everyone knows you call it prog
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
Lambretta +

Now Aussie....STILL dodgy

Times thanked
< 922

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

its like someone saying they like ROCK,.

As long as they don't say Jehovah!

Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
DTrancer +

I don't know how to change my user title?!1

Times thanked
< 177
Even I get sick of listening to trance all day especially if played by the same DJ. But if they mix it up with a bit of prog, techno, house even.. that gets my
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
< 4,511
u w0t m8?
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
< 1,386
trance people is ok in small doses
Fuzzy Rainbow +

OMG are you serious?

Times thanked
< 1,899
^^ Hey! That's not fair. I'm a Trance-people!

oh. maybe that explains it then...
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,759
I'm a trance people too. But the hate on is all this #trancefamily bullshit, its the trance version of the juggalo movement for all the kids that grew up on myspace.

I just like soaring synths and new bass with some euphoric vocals. I dont need glow paint or an armin tattoo.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
< 3,946
ITT ... trance

Media Player
Art Of Trance - Cambodia 1994 - YouTube

Media Player
art of trance easter island - YouTube

funkedub dot com

Bwen +

bwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwen

Times thanked
< 351
Not enough PLUR in this thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah

Bwen spammed this thread good.

Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 1,013
No MDMA no PLUR
Fuzzy Rainbow +

OMG are you serious?

Times thanked
< 1,899
PLUR it up honeybutt
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
< 179
Goddamnit O.P

We here at itm are quite happy with the market saturation of generic dance music.

That's why we keep talking about the swedishtrance syndicate.

And also we don't know where to get good drugs anymore so everything angers us.
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
Errrr, EDM is the best genre of music. Have you heard the drops in EDM???? Thats insane!!!!!!

The original poster has no idea. Probably is listening to RnB or something. How can EDM get a person so worked up?

Original poster. Please reply to this post and explain to me how you say you like trance by not EDM. EDM is the evolved version of trance. I havent even heard a single drop in trance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

james223 +

Times thanked
< 155
Lol the never ending jaded butt-hurt shit about how it used to be better in the day...

Trance is diverse like any other genre. Go find artists, labels and sub-genre's that you like that still stick to the styles you like. Plenty of shit out there.... and plenty of still quality parties doing good shit. If you don't like the Trance 2.0 sound or the more proggy/housey elements some come up with, then don't fucking listen to it lol. Still heaps and heaps of good shit on good labels that is more on the 'true' or 'pure' side of trance...

EDM is like a blanket term used to describe "Dance" music. It's like saying hey I love Rock music to a metal head..
Get over it and go out and enjoy yourself.
Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Times thanked
< 1,068
Teisto is awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

^-^
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
< 934
^I fucking love Ishtar's website, but it's in desperate need of an update. Things have come a long way since version 2.5 and I can only imagine how hilarious his breakdown of brostep and "witch house" is going to be
Fuck Everything Forever
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »